Molnya - offensively geared electricity frame

Autongnosis

I've been mulling about this for a while after watching and rewatching the Bifrost bridge battle scene from Thor: Ragnarok. 

Currently we have Volt which is a mainly control frame which manipulates electricity to do various things. We are completely missing a frame using the more raw, devastating power of lightning. 

So here it is, in a first draft form. 

MOLNYA, ARC SORCERESS

For reference, Molnya is a weird spelling/contraction of the Russian translation for lightning (translate gives me two terms for god kniws what reason, one is moliniya and the other is molniyenosnyy). 

Design 

Monlya in my head is a very lithe female frame with sleek silvery armour. She has small exposed capacitors on her calves, forearms and shoulderblades that constantly crackle with small electricity bolts and fire up when casting. Some of the core design elements are prolonged armour spikes on the knee, elbow and shoukder joints, a mag coil like collar, and the same joint design used in Mag deluxe skin (joints hover close to one another but are not actually connected). Patterning on the armour plates should resemble the dentrites of human neurons, becoming more densely packed and intricated the closer they are to the main joints (knee, ankle, elbow, shoulder, hip). 

Helmet should be surrounded by a crown of curved horns with a central greek cross of energy with the horizontal arms slanted upwards that sort of reminds of a visor

Disclaimer: i am nowhere good enough to try my hand at drawing it sadly. 

Stat line

• Shields 175 (525)
  • HP 75 (225)
  • Armour 100
  • Energy 150 (225)
  • Sprint speed 1.15

Reasoning being it's a bit fragile but with high shields and mobility, with a caster energy pool. 

Passive - Supercharged

The frame suffers no shield recharge delay. I liked the idea because it fit with the whole "always charged" concept.

First skill - Lightning Step (25 energy, instant, mobility)

Tap to teleport to mouse cursor, then do a radial electricity blast on arrival with guaranteed electric proc.

Note on the skill: intended to be a very quick if not instant cast, short ranged, with moderate aoe and low damage. This is to be a combat opener and a quick escape tool. Toying with the idea of allowing hold-to-charge cast to increase both range and AoE on impact, and/or to give it a duration-based buff that works like Rapid Resilience.

Augment: remove the AoE on landing but the cast becomes highest priority and instant (meaning it can be used during any other action/animation and overrides them) and sheds status on cast, becoming a purely defensive measure. This is the only augment I'll list because it's a feature I'd really like to see somewhere. 

Second skill - Arc Shields (50 energy, duration based, self buff)

Duration based skill which while active it boosts shield regeneration rate significantly and has a moderate chance of procing electricity to any enemy that damages your shield.

Note on the skill: his is intended to give you a tool to survive by making you CC enemies that fire at you and use your boosted shield regen to take more hits. Consider the "no shield recharge delay" means you will be constantly regenerating your shields even while taking damage, so it should make you beefy enough to take some hits, coupled with the reflexive CC built in.

Third skill - Thunderfall (75 energy, AoE, duration based)

It's an AoE damage skill in two phases that accumulates damage based on the damage dealt by your electricity procs. It's an AoE targeted on mouse cursor which blast down a bolt of lightning that deals moderate base damage plus a % of the total damage of your electricity procs, displayed in a counter not unlike Saryn's Spore one or Nezha's Warding Halo one. The original bolt has no status chance. It also leaves an area charged with electricity that makes every enemy in the area take an electric proc from any damage source with a flat chance (like Garuda's ult for example). 

Note on the skill: the intention here is to give you a tool that works in one of two ways. The first is, by playing with his other skills you naturally accumulate damage making this potentially a very high damage AoE blast. It also leaves behind the charged area to both kickstart the accumulation of the next blast and/or use as an area denial CC skill.

Fourth skill - Ascension (50 energy, channel based, self buff)

This is a self empowerment skill. Channel based, it increases the effect of all other skills, and gives you more mobility and control while airborne/aimgliding. It also augments melee and ranged weapons as follows:

- ranged: each time you proc a status you have a flat chance of creating a small AoE blast that deals a low percentage of the original damage with guaranteed electricity proc

- melee: each time you proc a status you have a flat chance of creating a chain effect like the Amprex which chains to up to 3 enemies at a time, dealing a low % of the original damage with guaranteed electricity proc. 

The effect on the other skills are:

- skill 1: enlarges the AoE on impact

- skill 2: raises the proc chance for the electricity proc from damaging your shields

- skill 3: enlarges the AoE and raises the chance of electricity procs in the polarised zone it leaves behind

Note on the skill: this is not intended to be an "always on" kind of 4th skill. Think of it like Peacemaker more than like Exalted Blade. It is a huge power up that drains a quite massive amount of energy and is intended to give you the tools to tactically step up your game when you most need to as opposed to giving you a decent tool you can have constantly up. 

Notes

The idea here is to make a very mobile caster with somne beefyness attatched via shield tanking (i know how absurd that sounds but the passive and eventually Adaptation can imo make it work). The kit is also built around giving you several ways of dealing high AoE DPS via both skills and weapons, with one feeding on the other recursively making it so that by playing aggressively and using a synergistic loadout you can blast everything to smithereens around you.

I have always liked the idea of an overdesigned DPS frame that can pump out a lot of damage and a lot more depending on your skill and timing, and the way you chain cast your skills. 

There ya have the base draft, will edit some formatting and more details along the way. Lemme know what you think. 

EDIT 1: i have formatted it all, given some tentative names to skills and gave some additional infos.

EDIT 2: finally got around to deciding a name, gender and settling on an appearance.

Edited by Autongnosis

Nice, I like the concept feels a bit squishy, however. A toxin or slash proc means 100% death.

The frame can be even more aggressive with an augment for his 2 that may be:

Removes shield regeneration, fires 1/2/3 jolts at random targets every 3.5/2.5/1.5 sec, but restores shields and health proportionate to 1/2/3% the amount of damage dealt.

The restore distribution is split between shields and health. If either one is maxed, the entire restoration bonus is applied to the other. If both are maxed gain overshields.

Obviously power strength increases the damage, while higher duration increases the delay between jolts and duration of ability, but lower duration results in reduced delay and ability duration.

I imagine a teleporting Tesla coil pretty much 😄

I was also toying with the idea of giving his kit some way to either shed status or redice status duration, other than the augment concept for his one (or in place of that part, since having the ability to interrupt staggers and knockdowns is already very powerful). 

Honestly. I'm on the fence about that because it is a downside you can mod or play around, and in concept this dude/gal is already pumping out quite a lot of damage and control, so it might be a nice way of balancing him/her out. 

Edited by Autongnosis

I kind of like this over our current electricity frame volt. This warframe does give off this always charged vibe, I can imagine it to be rather satisfying to play.

I'd hope that this frame could some how replace volt, allow this warframe to take his 4th ability or add it as an argument to this warframe's 1st ability.

Volt can be turned into some sort of super speed warframe. Doing fast fist and kick attacks and what not.

It's a like from me

Edited by (PS4)Ghost--00--

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-11-12 at 6:41 AM, Ver1dian said:

Nice, I like the concept feels a bit squishy, however. A toxin or slash proc means 100% death.

You can mitigate those problems by ejecting out of the frame and letting the Out-of-frame damage reduction do its thing. You are screwed if you're already at 2 health though.

I don't know about you, but even if I'm outside of Volt Prime I'm far from helpless.

il y a 10 minutes, Ventura_Highway a dit :

You can mitigate those problems by ejecting out of the frame and letting the Out-of-frame damage reduction do its thing. You are screwed if you're already at 2 health though.

Ye, you can also roll, use rapid resilience, rolling guard and/or adaptation to mitigate that. 

I'm still on the fence but maybe having a built in, specific weakness that you can mod or play around can be a good element to make the frame more interesting. 

1 minute ago, Autongnosis said:

I'm still on the fence but maybe having a built in, specific weakness that you can mod or play around can be a good element to make the frame more interesting.

Most everything has built-in-weaknesses innately, at the very least there's an opportunity cost. Try to make your frame do a couple things well and there will be inherent weaknesses in what it gave up to do what it does well.

For example, like, Frost doesn't have some artificial weakness to Heat damage or anything like that. He's just sort of bad in fast-paced mission types just because his kit doesn't address the necessities of that scenario. Limitations are good though, yes. I remember getting bored of Starcraft instantly because all I did to win levels was type in cheat codes.

Le 26/11/2018 à 22:16, Ventura_Highway a dit :

Most everything has built-in-weaknesses innately, at the very least there's an opportunity cost. Try to make your frame do a couple things well and there will be inherent weaknesses in what it gave up to do what it does well.

On that i fully agree. It's still something that has a number of countermeasures anyway.