Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do people saying the riven nerfs aren't a big deal realize DE seems to have the intention of nerfing them repeatedly?

(XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA

2 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Yeah, you're just going to keep sitting there and demanding that your way is the way that DE should use. 

I am not "demanding" anything. I am pointing out glaring flaws in the existing system as an explanation of why it's not going to work.

DE obviously disagrees with you. And that's fine.

Yep, I agree that's fine.

Because the system they have implemented is getting flak because it's doing exactly what you think it won't. 

And how do you reckon that?

It's encouraging people to use other weapons, and discouraging the use of some that seem to have been over used. That's exactly what all the "omfg my groll riven that I paid 6k plat for doesn't do what it used to, this fkin sucks, now I have to get something else this is fkin rediculus!!!1!11"

So, million dollar question:

Do you think that these players who have just learned that Rivens are volatile things which cannot actually hold value will continue to invest in strong Rivens?

Or do you think they are more likely to just go back to using whichever meta weapons are independent of Rivens (which they were using before)?

So, unfortunately, as much as you'd like to rail about how it won't work, that's all just a bit of a silly fantasy you're hanging on to. The sooner you can grasp that, the better. 

This copycat rhetoric of yours is pretty funny. It's a bit off the mark, though.

I guarantee you that the only significant population of players who will bother hanging onto something like, say, a Plasma Sword Riven are those who actually LIKE the Plasma Sword and want it to be good.

42 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Do you think that these players who have just learned that Rivens are volatile things which cannot actually hold value will continue to invest in strong Rivens?

Yup. And I am guessing that the average price will gradually drift lower, putting them within reach of more players. Know what's better than trying to make a million dollars a pop off of a few whales? Getting a few dollars off of millions of regular Joe's. 

Now, you notice that I skipped the rest of your post? It's because I figure that there's little point in responding to your little taunts. But by all means you keep trying. It'll be almost as amusing as watching you pretend to have a valid point in the face of having to deal with the fact that rivens were never meant to be what you are insisting they should be.

You see, what you think is of little consequence, in the face of the original point of rivens. So you're not actually going to be able to push your rhetoric to any extent. You missed the chance a while ago. Right now you're just coming across as salty and frustrated. 

Good luck with that anyway, Tenno. 

26 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Yup. And I am guessing that the average price will gradually drift lower, putting them within reach of more players. Know what's better than trying to make a million dollars a pop off of a few whales? Getting a few dollars off of millions of regular Joe's. 

I would agree that the price will drop, though I think "steadily" would be a better would be the better adverb.

Seriously, your interpretation might work out if Rivens were disposable. However, it's hard to believe that a player who had invested potentially hundreds of rolls (as I have previously attempted) would be willing to continue working with the system.

Now, you notice that I skipped the rest of your post? It's because I figure that there's little point in responding to your little taunts.

Are you serious? Your rhetoric is composed entirely of petulant and pejorative speech, which you are attempting to substitute for reason. Here, have some evidence:

2 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

And I'm sorry, but I don't understand where the issue is with you trying to get other good rivens for any of your other weapons. Are you just upset that you might find yourself changing your weapon loadouts over time? 

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Yeah, you're just going to keep sitting there and demanding that your way is the way that DE should use.

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

So, unfortunately, as much as you'd like to rail about how it won't work, that's all just a bit of a silly fantasy you're hanging on to. The sooner you can grasp that, the better. 

But by all means you keep trying. It'll be almost as amusing as watching you pretend to have a valid point in the face of having to deal with the fact that rivens were never meant to be what you are insisting they should be.

You see, what you think is of little consequence, in the face of the original point of rivens. So you're not actually going to be able to push your rhetoric to any extent. You missed the chance a while ago. Right now you're just coming across as salty and frustrated. 

I am perfectly happy to treat your perspective with respect, but it takes two to tango. I have stuck closely to discussing the topic at hand, whereas you have attempted character assassination through continuous ad hominem and scapegoating (as evidenced by the above quotes in-sequence).

I have very clearly and in no uncertain terms explained why I think that Rivens cannot fulfill their original purpose. The entire point I've been making is that yes, the purpose of Rivens is to promote diverse use of weapons, but when you consider that:

• Rivens are fairly difficult to acquire and resource-intensive to develop,
  • Basic human psychology trends toward the "hoarding" of rewards rather than "recycling,"
  • Players are more likely to see nerfs as assaults rather than incentives,
  • Usage statistics are affected by a broader variety of factors than simple damage attributes, and
  • Rivens do not actually affect the pre-existing meta defined by those damage attributes,

It should be clear that Rivens will not successfully achieve their stated goal. In closing, let me revisit this statement of yours:

But by all means you keep trying. It'll be almost as amusing as watching you pretend to have a valid point in the face of having to deal with the fact that rivens were never meant to be what you are insisting they should be.

What's particularly frustrating is that you don't seem to understand I don't actually want Rivens to be "meant" for anything else. You are representing my argument dishonestly by suggesting I am attempting to appropriate Rivens for my own purposes. In other words, this is a strawman; my goal is the same as DE's goal in this case.

I am arguing that Rivens will not successfully fulfill what DE says they should be. Therefore, I am suggesting an alternate method for fulfilling the purpose of encouraging players to use less-popular weapons.

Edited by DiabolusUrsus

On 2018-11-12 at 1:20 PM, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

So much for respecting player investment

Just because you invested in a gamble doesnt mean youre allowed to keep it. They may as well give every weapon a 5 in disposition with how much complaining you all do about your 3k plat mods being altered. 

You guys gotta get it into your heads that this game and its systems are always up to change, any gamble you make, any investment can be altered literally the next day and the company is well within their rights to do so

And you agreed to let them.

I'm all for Riven disposition changes as they were never intended to remain fixed.

But... I just can't help but feel that there wouldn't be as much of an uproar about it if they had stayed consistent with it from the beginning.

It sucks but it's a lesson on both sides, in my opinion.