The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arbitration/Dedicated Servers

(PSN)whoistimjones

Pretty confident this has been brought up before but i really dont care, here's another thread:

Just did 20 minutes of arbitration just for the host to die, leave, then the game fail to transfer host to another person/connect me to new host. Lost everything. Why is there no dedicated servers? Doesn't Lunaro have dedicated servers? Why was a one-shot mission type added WITHOUT dedicated servers? Completely ruined my night, these missions are already irritating because of all the one pump chumps that join my runs and want to leave on A, now this bull. 5+ years and no dedicated servers still, why? This mode needs servers, or it needs to go away and its rewards earned a different way.

I can understand your pain. I play on Xbox. I did a 30 minute Survival, host left, failed to connect, lost all rewards. Tried mission again, stayed for 20 minutes, host left, failed to connect, bye bye rewards. Then I did a multiple round Interception, the three of us remaining agreed to stay for the 5th reward round, host left, failed to connect, well you can guess the rest. All in one day.

I don't know if dedicated servers would be possible. But if they could just look into this, and see if there's anything that could be fixed, it would be much appreciated.

34 minutes ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

Why is there no dedicated servers?

It's not cheap, especially for a game with no guaranteed monthly income, or any guaranteed income per player to speak of.

37 minutes ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

Doesn't Lunaro have dedicated servers?

Conclave has player hosted instances.

37 minutes ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

Why was a one-shot mission type added WITHOUT dedicated servers?

Why would they have dedicated servers for a single game mode?

8 hours ago, peterc3 said:

It's not cheap, especially for a game with no guaranteed monthly income, or any guaranteed income per player to speak of.

Conclave has player hosted instances.

Why would they have dedicated servers for a single game mode?

Games been out for 5+ years. I doubt they dont have the money to dedicated servers.

Conclave might be, but Lunaro has servers, they said so on multiple devstreams pre launch. Unless they removed them afterwards.

Uh, because of my situation that happens entirely too often?

5 hours ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

Games been out for 5+ years.

Over that 5+ years, there is still no guaranteed amount of money each player will pay that could go towards a guaranteed expense.

5 hours ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

Conclave might be, but Lunaro has servers, they said so on multiple devstreams pre launch. Unless they removed them afterwards.

Lunaro is part of Conclave.

1 hour ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

Doesn't matter, they want to do missions like this, there needs to be dedicated servers.

Ok?

It does matter as it hasn't happened yet because of my reasoning or close to it.

Pretending it doesn't matter isn't going to make DE just eat the high cost of providing worldwide servers to use.

17 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

It does matter as it hasn't happened yet because of my reasoning or close to it.

Pretending it doesn't matter isn't going to make DE just eat the high cost of providing worldwide servers to use.

Actually, no, you know nothing of the inner workings. And if it is a reason like that, then its also the reason why the games in decline.

No ones pretending anything. Eat the cost? They literally sell different ways to place weapons on your frame. Stop defending them dude.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

the games in decline.

Every update brings a new record of players. Invoking WARFRAME IS DYING is an automatic argument loser and sign you aren't coming to the table in good faith.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

No ones pretending anything. Eat the cost? They literally sell different ways to place weapons on your frame. Stop defending them dude.

Servers have an ongoing cost. There is the possibility, though improbably remote, that in a given time period nobody buys Plat. They still need to pay for servers.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go spend my DEShillBux, earned from defending the apparently indefensible DE, to go buy a Lamborghini and sip martinis on the Amalfi coast.

15 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Every update brings a new record of players. Invoking WARFRAME IS DYING is an automatic argument loser and sign you aren't coming to the table in good faith.

Servers have an ongoing cost. There is the possibility, though improbably remote, that in a given time period nobody buys Plat. They still need to pay for servers.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go spend my DEShillBux, earned from defending the apparently indefensible DE, to go buy a Lamborghini and sip martinis on the Amalfi coast.

But is it keeping them? No, it isn't and problems like these are exactly why. Had my cousin start playing. He quit a month later and hasn't come back. Some company if having to take 1 for the team is such a big for them. Now that I think about it, if there are large time periods where they make no money, that's on them as well. Really that contradicts your first statement. They bring in record numbers but dont get a dime from any of them? Ok, guy. Im done talking to you. Hope that De is worth all you wasted time. Pretty sure everyone, except you of course, would enjoy not losing rewards all the time. Or lag.

Are all of you gamers with no technology related day jobs? like is there literally no other IT people that play this game with a forum account? Am i really the only It person using AWS?

there are two (logical) options with low to no cost for DE

A) DE lets me spin up a server with my login on my own hardware and let it be a session host i can join for my missions, ie let it be the team leader that i control the vote for what mission the server wants to run same as when im the host.
Done, they get zero profit out of it and a headache of having to support other peoples hardware.....

OR

B) DE uses a company like Google, Azure or AWS with either full blown virtual servers or container services that run just the game server. they charge the customer(ie us) flat rates for 1,3,7,30 days of time in platinum much like the boosters, they then pre purchase instances at a lower rate then on demand pricing at one of those providers and profit off the price difference. At bare minimum they can pass 100% of the cost of the instance on to the customer. They can over sell the number of required instances on the logic that no gamer players 24/7 and even the ones that do will average out so that you do not need 1 server for ever 1 server purchased by end users like us.

Id honestly like a dedicated server of any sort to require a room in the clan dojo, but that would make sense with the whole transference being a thing and the reservoir on the moon... but screw that dab guy with this crazy ideas....

3 hours ago, Dabnician said:

they charge the customer(ie us) flat rates for 1,3,7,30 days of time in platinum

I was unaware Google, Microsoft and Amazon took Platinum as a payment option.

3 hours ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

Pretty sure everyone, except you of course, would enjoy not losing rewards all the time. Or lag.

You think dedicated servers would mean no lag or never losing rewards? Really?

7 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

I was unaware Google, Microsoft and Amazon took Platinum as a payment option.

I was unaware DE only paid their hosting provider, domain registrars, employee's, health care provider, country taxes and all of their legal fees in platinum.

Man color me red, Imagine that i though this entire time they took the money we gave to them and put it into a bank account in exchange for platinum and then used that money to pay for things.

Ill say it again:

Are all of you gamers with no technology related day jobs? like is there literally no other IT people that play this game with a forum account? Am i really the only It person using AWS?

And also add: And also speak to accounting and have a basic understand of things like NET 30?

Edited by Dabnician

there are two (logical) options with low to no cost for DE

A) DE lets me spin up a server with my login on my own hardware and let it be a session host i can join for my missions, ie let it be the team leader that i control the vote for what mission the server wants to run same as when im the host.
Done, they get zero profit out of it and a headache of having to support other peoples hardware.....

OR

B) DE uses a company like Google, Azure or AWS with either full blown virtual servers or container services that run just the game server. they charge the customer(ie us) flat rates for 1,3,7,30 days of time in platinum much like the boosters, they then pre purchase instances at a lower rate then on demand pricing at one of those providers and profit off the price difference. At bare minimum they can pass 100% of the cost of the instance on to the customer. They can over sell the number of required instances on the logic that no gamer players 24/7 and even the ones that do will average out so that you do not need 1 server for ever 1 server purchased by end users like us.

Id honestly like a dedicated server of any sort to require a room in the clan dojo, but that would make sense with the whole transference being a thing and the reservoir on the moon... but screw that dab guy with this crazy ideas....

As a fellow IT slave I'm very surprised that they haven't gone the Ark Survival Evolved route and allowed us to host servers on a private machine-you can even do it on consoles, or to purchase our own VM servers to host.  Would it fix things like lag et al? Probably not, but I believe dropped hosts that fail to resolve and cancel the instance to be a bigger problem than connection performance.

I've had peopled I've introduced to the game quit because of the host issues.

Edited by (PS4)ZeroSection

2 hours ago, Dabnician said:

I was unaware DE only paid their hosting provider, domain registrars, employee's, health care provider, country taxes and all of their legal fees in platinum.

Man color me red, Imagine that i though this entire time they took the money we gave to them and put it into a bank account in exchange for platinum and then used that money to pay for things.

Ill say it again:

And also add: And also speak to accounting and have a basic understand of things like NET 30?

While your information is new to me, that other guy is a lost cause. Dont bother. Your post was very insightful for me at least. Thanks!!

19 hours ago, (PS4)ZeroSection said:

I believe dropped hosts that fail to resolve and cancel the instance to be a bigger problem than connection performance.

This is the main reason why i really really really, would love to have a dedicated session host.Iv'e played with hosts that were downloading something int he back ground causing all sorts of lag, only to stop said download when the team calls them out on it (oops my bad ill stop my download) only to get upset when the team extracts at the very next opportunity..... this was on pc

I also ran into an issue where one of my xbox friends wanted to check out fortuna, so he installed it on his laptop while we were playing on xbox, same internet connection, starting having host issues, he was the host, this was the xbox/xbox live being effected by another device on the same network.

(i flip flop between xbox and pc)

17 hours ago, (PS4)whoistimjones said:

--

DE could even use nitrado and have them charge the customer,  the owner has made deals in the past with BI for DayZ they had the server files on release of that game