Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Companions need an overhaul

DrakeWurrum

The addition of moas as robotic companions highlighted many companion flaws (or at least brought them back to the foreground of our attention), so once DE is done with Melee 3.0... they should seriously take a look at overhauling the companions as well. We've seen some discussion on this in the Fortuna feedback forum, but I think this goes beyond Fortuna and moas.

Firstly: Companion AI is absolutely horrible. Part of the problem is we have absolutely NO way to control them or direct them.
The best way to solve this, I think, is to draw inspiration from how games like Dragon Age: Origins or Final Fantasy XII handle "companion" AI where the system doesn't give you direct control of your whole party... but you can set how they behave in certain situations through a "tactics" screen where you set what decides their behavior in a priority list. We could have a console near where robotic companions stand in the Orbiter that gives us a way to "program" or "train" precepts for our companions, directing their behavior based on different conditions.
The conditions could be, say, number of enemies with in a certain range, or enemies attacking their master, or allies getting low health, or a number of enemies grouped in one spot, or the companion loses it's shields, etc. Then you could choose what it does - attacks, uses an ability, activates a specific precept, runs behind cover for safety, etc. Maybe companions could even be trained to activate gear items for us in certain conditions. This would solve most complaints about companion behavior, since we could then decide what that behavior is for our own playstyles.
This change would also finally make mods like Thumper and Striker obsolete, since you could then manually set their attack range, and the appropriate behavior for it.

Spoiler

IdvQfZ8.jpg

Spoiler

Picture10.png

Secondly: Shields/HP/Armor mods. With moas using the same Link mods as kubrow/kavat, we're finding they die really, really easily and often need to be revived.
All companions need to have access to the basic survivability mods like Enhanced Vitality, Calculated Redirection, and Metal Fiber.
However, I don't want to see the Link mods disappear. I think they make for great variety in how we build our companions, and we can adjust it based on what frames we use - but they shouldn't be THE way to add survivability to our companions, else it becomes impossible to keep them alive. So these mods should be made available to Sentinels as well.

Edit: With Fortuna 2.0 update, Beast and Moa companions now have access to both types of mods! Sentinels cannot.
However, it appears you cannot use Link Health with Enhanced Vitality, Link Shields with Enhanced Deflection, or Link Armor with Metal Fiber, meaning you have to pick which one gives the best survivability at the time (dependent upon which frame you're using).
From what I can tell, this mostly means you're still stuck with the Link mods as they will almost always provide more. Base health/shields/armor for beasts is pitiful, so this is not an ideal solution.

Thirdly: Companion abilities need to be built-in to the companion, just as warframe abilities are built-in to the warframes (and the abilities are gained/leveled up from leveling them). This doesn't change too much beyond freeing up mod slots, but it's weird that companions still use the old model of adding abilities with mods, and frankly, it feels lame that we have to assign mod slots to what abilities the companions are capable of.
If the abilities are interchangeable, like with Guardian, Sanctuary, Shield Charger, or Sacrifice - I can understand keeping them as modded precepts.
But the basic abilities like Ammo Case and Fatal Attraction and Trample should be part of the companion itself, same as with warframe abilities.
All companion breeds/types should get two built-in abilities that they can actively use to give each type a unique purpose.

To make this work for moas, we just simply select which two abilities our moa has when we build it. Which abilities you can pick could be purchased via standing, or else still offered based on which moas you have already built (same as we have now).

Fourthly: Kubrow and kavats should gain the ability to equip different kinds of "attacks" in the way that we can currently equip different robotic weapons onto sentinels and moas. So we should be able to equip "Claw" or "Bite" or "Tackle" or whatever else we can come up with to count as melee weapons for our beast companions. This way, rather than completely relying on Maul for their damage, we can mod their "melee weapons" for our own build variety. This would make the beast companions much more desirable.
I understand this may be more difficult to implement than simply adding different guns, since the animation for the pet's attacks would need to be done for each attack we could equip - but I think the payoff would be huge.

It's entirely possible that all companion damage needs to be looked at, but I'm not really sure how much damage companions should be contributing.

Fifthly: We really should do away with the need to constantly stabilize and interact with our beast companions, as well as the entire system we have for stasis. When we can immediately switch around which moa or sentinel we use, it seems absurd that we have to wait when switching to different kubrow or kavat. There are a lot of players who don't bother with beast companions just because that's annoying.
As well, the upkeep on beast companions is absolutely worthless and doesn't add anything to the game. I know it's not hard or even expensive. It just doesn't add any level of fun to the game whatsoever. It both takes and adds nothing. It's a neat gimmick for flavor that makes it more lore-friendly, but that's it. I like being able to pet/play with our beast companions, but it shouldn't be some required chore to make sure they have maximum damage.

Finally: Just get rid of Vacuum and Fetch. At this point, it's just an automatic required mod. Sure, some players are willing to go without, and can act all elitist about not NEEDING it, but why even bother having this as an option in a game like Warframe where gathering loot, ammo, and health/energy is so essential? Just build that vacuum effect directly into warframes, no companion needed.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

The addition of moas as robotic companions highlighted many companion flaws (or at least brought them back to the foreground of our attention), so once DE is done with Melee 3.0... they should seriously take a look at overhauling the companions as well. We've seen some discussion on this in the Fortuna feedback forum, but I think this goes beyond Fortuna and moas.

Firstly: Companion AI is absolutely horrible. Part of the problem is we have absolutely NO way to control them or direct them.
The best way to solve this, I think, is to draw inspiration from how games like Dragon Age: Origins or Final Fantasy XII handle "companion" AI where the system doesn't give you direct control of your whole party... but you can set how they behave in certain situations. We could have a console near where robotic companions stand in the Orbiter that gives us a way to "program" or "train" precepts for our companions, directing their behavior based on different conditions.
The conditions could be, say, number of enemies with in a certain range, or enemies attacking their master, or allies getting low health, or a number of enemies grouped in one spot, or the companion loses it's shields, etc. Then you could choose what it does - attacks, uses an ability, activates a specific precept, runs behind you for safety, etc. Maybe companions could even be trained to activate gear items for us in certain conditions. This would solve most complaints about companion behavior, since we could then decide what that behavior is for our own playstyles.

Secondly: Shields/HP/Armor mods. With moas using the same Link mods as kubrow/kavat, we're finding they die really, really easily and often need to be revived.
All companions need to have access to the basic survivability mods like Enhanced Vitality, Calculated Redirection, and Metal Fiber.
However, I don't want to see the Link mods disappear. I think they make for great variety in how we build our companions, and we can adjust it based on what frames we use - but they shouldn't be THE way to add survivability to our companions, else it becomes impossible to keep them alive. So these mods should be made available to Sentinels as well.

Thirdly: Companion abilities need to be built-in to the companion, just as warframe abilities are built-in to the warframes (and the abilities are gained/leveled up from leveling them). This doesn't change too much beyond freeing up mod slots, but it's weird that companions still use the old model of adding abilities with mods, and frankly, it feels lame that we have to assign mod slots to what abilities the companions are capable of.
If the abilities are interchangeable, like with Guardian, Sanctuary, Shield Charger, or Sacrifice - I can understand keeping them as modded precepts.
But the basic abilities like Ammo Case and Fatal Attraction should be part of the sentinel itself, same as with warframe abilities.
All companion breeds/types should get two built-in abilities that they can actively use to give each type a unique purpose.

Fourthly: Kubrow and kavats should gain the ability to equip different kinds of "attacks" in the way that we can currently equip different robotic weapons onto sentinels and moas. So we should be able to equip "Claw" or "Bite" or "Tackle" or whatever else we can come up with to count as melee weapons for our beast companions. This way, rather than completely relying on Maul for their damage, we can mod their "melee weapons" for our own build variety. This would make the beast companions much more desirable.
I understand this may be more difficult to implement than simply adding different guns, since the animation for the pet's attacks would need to be done for each attack we could equip - but I think the payoff would be huge.

Fifthly: We really should do away with the need to constantly stabilize and interact with our beast companions, as well as the entire system we have for stasis. When we can immediately switch around which moa or sentinel we use, it seems absurd that we have to wait when switching to different kubrow or kavat. There are a lot of players who don't bother with beast companions just because that's annoying.
As well, the upkeep on beast companions is absolutely worthless and doesn't add anything to the game. I know it's not hard or even expensive. It just doesn't add any level of fun to the game whatsoever. It both takes and adds nothing. It's a neat gimmick for flavor that makes it more lore-friendly, but that's it. I like being able to pet/play with our beast companions, but it shouldn't be some required chore to make sure they have maximum damage.

Finally: Just get rid of Vacuum and Fetch. At this point, it's just an automatic required mod. Sure, some players are willing to go without, and can act all elitist about not NEEDING it, but why even bother having this as an option in a game like Warframe where gathering loot, ammo, and health/energy is so essential? Just build that vacuum effect directly into warframes, no companion needed.

Agreed with basicly everything.

1st) Programming / training / set behaviour would indeed be a neat feature. I can see it having the following "programs":

• Mobility / "leash": Decide wether you want it to follow you very closely (kinda similar to sentinels proximity) or run around more freely, with a bigger "leash". Could even be set as a range-bar.
  • Aggression: Decide wether it attacks freely, defensively (i.e. only allow it to attack enemies who hurt your or the companion) or not at all. Then DE can get rid of ALL of those mods like Assault Mode and its ilk.
  • Attack range (only useable by the sidekicks with ranged weapons): If your sidekick is allowed to attack in any way, this would set how far you would like your companion to shoot, also set up as a range-bar.
  • Innate ability useage 1, 2 and/or 3: Decide which one of its innate ability(s) it should use or not. Some of the abilities could be locked (like Looter for Carrier, Negate for Wyrm etc), that could be unlocked by buying that ability from Simaris, to keep that special interaction intact.

2) Yup, having all "base survivability" mods available for both Robotics and Companions alike would be nice.

3) I would only agreed with this if point #1 is done first. Because there are quite a few moments when I DON'T want my sidekick to use one of its innate abilities.

4) Yeah this would certainly be nice (i.e. letting their basic attacks be modular). I feel they are, offensively, really underwhelming due to lacking this option. However, I think it would be enough to just let it be one "weapon" for each beast. To add to this, they now even got those new "Shock Collar" mods and such, this could be vastly expanded upon to give them more powerful base attacks. Then move over the Maul and Bite mods to be fitted there (function as base attackmods akin to Serration and Point Strike+Vital Sense). Mods like Swipe and Pounce, however, could still be kept as mods placed on the beast itself, because they add special attacks and effects.

5) Indeed, at the very least it could be 100% maintenance-free when the incubator is upgraded.

6) Yup, couldn't agreed more.

• Like 2

I agree with a lot of stuff OP said but calling your opposition elitists is a low blow, just because you disagree? I don't support universal vacuum because the most compelling comment I've heard for it is "95% of players use it".

But lets not derail that any more than that shall we? Two changes in OP's list I consider the most important are giving pets their own weapons and getting rid of stasis mechanic. The only reasoning I've seen for stasis is lore, but you can rebut that with the advancement of technology in game and all the absurd stuff we do already: it doesn't even need to make sense lore-wise, and lets just say we finally acquired an old orokin blueprint for advanced instant stasis and made our own version of it. There. Not very original but does it need to be? Oh wait, we already have instant stasis so it'd just be automation of that process to loadouts. Don't see a need for lore for that.

Then there's the matter of pet weapons. The more damage mods we get to pets, the more we need this. Right now there wouldn't be much of a choise for pet weapon modding but DE could take the lazy road and do what they did with sentinel weapons, to make pet weapons use melee mods. It would create a problem if you couldn't use the same melee mods simultaneously on your melee weapons, but that'd be the lesser of two evils for sure. And I'd be happy with getting it sooner than later.

Edited by GOOFBALL1
Forgot stasis was already instant

1- yes 

2- yes 

3- what about priorities? I’d like my cat to only use a certain ability without bothering with the other. This works on some sentinels since their abilities aren’t affected by property iirc 

4- no, that’s redundant and changes nothing 

5- no, it’s an actual living being, we care for it just like any pet. They already made it super easy and simple to do this, plus cheap as hell. Taking 2 seconds to press a button every 4 days isn’t asking much 

6- no, because DE doesn’t want innate vacuum, just give up already 

Additions: let us select pets directly from companion choosing screen, not having to go through stasis 

Rework the abilities of kubrows and give them new ones, they’re basically worse version of sentinel mods 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

One exists! Thanks mate, I'll see if anyone has a spare in trade chat, doesn't say where to farm it unfortunately

off of feral kubrow on earth, low drop rate so bring nekros. The armor link and shield link and some others also drop there. Plus a bunch more stuff has been adding. I am working to add the new stuff to my guide but this might help

A Polite Guide to Kubrow Breeding

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Man, some people are never going to be happy.

Never said I'm not happy. I just subscribe to the Japanese concept of kaizen - i.e. continuous improvement.

The companion system can be made better. There are things that people don't like about it, or things that are inefficient or impractical or ineffective or inconsistent. That's all. This is how I think it could be improved.

12 hours ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

I agree with a lot of stuff OP said but calling your opposition elitists is a low blow, just because you disagree? I don't support universal vacuum because the most compelling comment I've heard for it is "95% of players use it".

Mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment, honestly. I've been a hardcore raider in MMORPGs before. I know what it is to have that "elitist" mindset. The only argument I've ever really heard against it before is from people who proclaim oh-so-proudly that they consider vacuum to be a crutch and therefore don't use it.

12 hours ago, GOOFBALL1 said:

I don't support universal vacuum because the most compelling comment I've heard for it is "95% of players use it".

That's kinda the point. They did the same thing with warframe abilities. 95% of players would slot warframe abilities, because otherwise you have no warframe abilities. All that did was take up mod slots as a required mod, unless the warframe ability in question was truly useless. (Excalibur super jump, looking at you)
It's not technically required, but so many players treat it as such because it's that damn useful. It's not an interesting part of any mod build as to whether or not it's used.

It's not so much that 95% of players use it. It's that 95% of players don't even see this mod as a real choice. That takes away from the fun of build variety.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GinKenshin said:

4- no, that’s redundant and changes nothing 

I disagree. It adds more versatility and customizability to what our pets can do, as well as fun "flavor" for the hell of it.

Right now, the only way we can change kubrow/kavat damage is Maul and Bite. The vast majority of the playerbase sees them as flat-out required mods. There's no choice there, and no choice is not fun.
By giving us a way to swap out beast companion attacks to different damage types, or slow/fast options, or whatever else could fit into the theme of a "beast weapon" we get some more control over the effectiveness/flavor of our companions. Same is true of gaining the ability to directly mod their attacks with melee weapon mods.

5- no, it’s an actual living being, we care for it just like any pet. They already made it super easy and simple to do this, plus cheap as hell. Taking 2 seconds to press a button every 4 days isn’t asking much 

I know it's not asking much, and I know it's super easy and simple to do and cheap as hell.

You literally just made my point. It takes nothing from you: it's an easy, no-effort task that costs you nothing.
And it literally GETS you nothing as well.

It isn't fun. It isn't anything. It's just... there. You do it, and yay, max health. At the push of a single button. Once every four days.
If they treated it like a proper pet simulator mini-game, that might be interesting, but what we have now is... well it's nothing. There's no point to it.

The stasis system, as a separate concern, is basically a system that limits what we can do, in a way that's specifically unique to kubrow and kavat companions. Warframe is not about systems limiting our capabilities, but about giving us as much capability as possible. It flies in the face of Warframe's game design to limit how quickly we can switch to different beast companions, especially when robotic companions are not restricted in this way.

6- no, because DE doesn’t want innate vacuum, just give up already 

That's a very naive view, because guess what?

We have it now. All companions have vacuum.
The only way to not have it is to either not mod it, or not equip a companion, which is basically the exact same as innate vacuum. The only difference is it takes up a companion mod slot with what most people consider to be a required mod.
That's really not a choice, and there's nothing fun about either having, or not having, something so immensely useful.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Never said I'm not happy. I just subscribe to the Japanese concept of kaizen - i.e. continuous improvement.

The companion system can be made better. There are things that people don't like about it, or things that are inefficient or impractical or ineffective or inconsistent. That's all. This is how I think it could be improved.

Mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment, honestly. I've been a hardcore raider in MMORPGs before. I know what it is to have that "elitist" mindset.

I feel like your approach to a video game probably doesn't equate to practicing a philosophical viewpoint in your approach.

Give the Devs time to get their heads above water. They just released a large chunk of content. Go enjoy it.

Also, why do so many people just flat out want to overhaul any and everything. I would be much happier if there were some more QoL fixes. Pets are fine and we'll see that as people go to them now that fetch is a thing. They have some strong advantages. Though something needs to be done about redundancy for Chesas.

Also, why do "people" always refer to everyone else when trying to make their point. I'm sure some people agree, but you don't speak for the room, you can only really be responsible for yourself.

What you think would be easy from an implementation perspective may not be easy at all. Unless you've worked on the guts of a game, it's impossible to know.

18 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

I feel like your approach to a video game probably doesn't equate to practicing a philosophical viewpoint in your approach.

It's not about practicing a philosophical viewpoint, it's simply about how one approaches life in general, let alone video game design. Especially online games like Warframe. It's the opposite mindset of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Because while what we have works, there are ways it can work better. This is how I think it could be better. You have a really weird objection to my suggestion.

I would even argue that with a mindset like yours, games would never be able to get as good as they do. Game design theory very much calls for developers to try and take a game as far as it can go, rather than just far enough to satisfy the average gamer.

Also, why do so many people just flat out want to overhaul any and everything. I would be much happier if there were some more QoL fixes. Pets are fine

As stated now... twice? Thrice maybe? Not counting. I feel like the companion system can be better. It's fine, yes. It's fun and enjoyable, and I am happy with it. I'm simply proposing how I think it could be even better than what it is.

Hell, that's not even in the spirit of continuous improvement, but in the spirit of how DE designs Warframe. 

Also, why do "people" always refer to everyone else when trying to make their point. I'm sure some people agree, but you don't speak for the room, you can only really be responsible for yourself.

Because I've see people bring up these concerns in the forums and in-game numerous times, and there's even a current on-going discussion on the new moa pets where these concerns were freshly brought up. I simply feel that this issue goes beyond only moas.

What you think would be easy from an implementation perspective may not be easy at all. Unless you've worked on the guts of a game, it's impossible to know.

I have. Never said it would be easy. I even called it an overhaul.

Give the Devs time to get their heads above water. They just released a large chunk of content. Go enjoy it.

Just because they just released content doesn't mean I can't give feedback on the direction of the game. If anything, it's the perfect time to give that feedback, because the new content shows the direction the game is going. Additionally, they're likely looking specifically at this new content and trying to tweak it where they can to make sure it's everything they hoped for, as players give their feedback on their experience. This expanded from my experience in using the new moa companions, and reminded me freshly of some of my main beefs with the current companion system.

Also, I am enjoying it. Stop trying to dictate how I enjoy Warframe. If you don't have anything constructive to add to this discussion other than "No, I don't like change!" then why participate?

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Atsia said:

You say this as if we don't already know they're working an Pets 2.0 (or is it 3.0?)

I think having that knowledge makes it the right time to bring up these concerns. It means they are looking into that system, so they would be open to suggestions.

I was actually thinking of making a post like this as well. The Fetch mod is definitely the first step in the right direction, but there is much to improve on too. Vacuum wasn’t the only reason (albeit it is a big one) that players did not like using companions, I’m not sure if I should make it separately (it’s is very very VERY long) or add it here. I had additional ideas about companion abilities, and I was comparing sentinels, kavats, and kubrows to “study” why their respective popularities have noticeably big gaps.

• Like 2

Actually, it would be nice if they did open suggestion megathreads for things like that. I don't know if they are actually anywhere near wanting to do pets 2.0 atm. Fetch is promising though. Reading through something like that would be sooo time consuming for them however.

We can hash out what that means if we get to give our feedback, but generally they don't seem to be... listening, anyway, Actually I say that but then this Christmas Miracle happens where we get Fetch (among other goodies.)

From what I can tell they are doing pets 2.0 piecemail. But I don't know what's been discussed and spitballed around etc by the dev team, so the radio silence, lifted ever so slightly, is so frustrating, even more so because of this awesome little bundle of changes and mods, (little but it means a lot to the community I think. But I can only speak for myself.)

If you are reading this DE persons, pleeease just... give us a search feature for stasis and imprints, for both the incubator and trade window. That alone would just make me so so so happy. Also please fix kavat textures. >__>

6 hours ago, Atsia said:

You say this as if we don't already know they're working an Pets 2.0 (or is it 3.0?)

Then hopefully they'll take my input into consideration. ^_^

3 hours ago, (XB1)THANOTOS OMEGA said:

the Link mods need to go, it's an utterly pitiful display of poor design that the fragile frames who most need a tanky pet are basically forced to only have a liability while INAROS! of all people gets the most mileage out of pets,

I think it would be okay to keep the Link mods if the pets could ALSO use a regular HP boosting mod.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment, honestly. I've been a hardcore raider in MMORPGs before. I know what it is to have that "elitist" mindset. The only argument I've ever really heard against it before is from people who proclaim oh-so-proudly that they consider vacuum to be a crutch and therefore don't use it.

That's kinda the point. They did the same thing with warframe abilities. 95% of players would slot warframe abilities, because otherwise you have no warframe abilities. All that did was take up mod slots as a required mod, unless the warframe ability in question was truly useless. (Excalibur super jump, looking at you)
It's not technically required, but so many players treat it as such because it's that damn useful. It's not an interesting part of any mod build as to whether or not it's used.

It's not so much that 95% of players use it. It's that 95% of players don't even see this mod as a real choice. That takes away from the fun of build variety.

This makes sense to me. It is true that a lot of people consider it necessary, I agree. Even I think that now that it is available having to decide between fetch and another mod has only one option.

However, they just got Fetch for us, and that was being asked for for years. I'd like to just enjoy the fact that they listened atm, though.

12 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

This makes sense to me. It is true that a lot of people consider it necessary, I agree. Even I think that now that it is available having to decide between fetch and another mod has only one option.

However, they just got Fetch for us, and that was being asked for for years. I'd like to just enjoy the fact that they listened atm, though.

I'm looking at it sort of as...

When you look at all 8 mods on your companion, if you're going to take out Vacuum or Fetch and intentionally limit yourself in that regard, you then need to consider the value of the mod you'd be swapping it out for... and whether or not it's really worth it.

Agreed with everything. Especially Points 4 and 5.
DE please, too many must have mods.
Link Armor,Link Health, Fetch,Animal Instinct, Maul and Bite along with precepts and Med kit are Must have and thats already 8.
On top of that you need 7-9 Forma to fully mod pets. Needs a look badly

• Like 2

I agree with most of your points. Though I mainly just want to bump this as the state of companions right now is completely awful and with fetch and elemental mods added, people might use them enough to want them changed. DE might finally fix them after all these years (besides just stasis changes).