Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Better Region "censor" implementation

Xemgoa

I think "UI" is the best category for something like this, this is an idea but more so a suggestion. It would be appreciated if the entire OP was read before making a comment on it, to prevent confusion or just looking stupid. Please and thanks! 😄

You know what? I am not sure if I will get into trouble for talking about this, since I believe DE isn't vindictive and hears people out amicably.

But I want to say I don't think I am too happy with what Kickbot is right now, especially since people who make the same joke over and over, or says certain things that DE gave no heads up on what is prohibited to say before a kick or suspension. (Yes, I acknowledge that the TOS is there, and I am grateful we have the freedom to say whatever the hell we want in private conversations, clans and alliances, I'm not too fond though that if there is an /ignore function that does it better over something that affects peoples accounts on Warframe, that DE won't use it - Albeit I acknowledge they have to listen to anyone but not have to put up with being harassed.)

With that said, I thought "Hm... well, if Kickbot is lacking and the punishments seem a bit too far, why not expand on the /ignore function instead into something else and do it in such a way Region stays clean and welcoming, but people can still talk about what they want in public. Well, "Semi-public" amongst peers who have thicker skin, and don't have to resort to taking the conversation to private, since you can't setup multiple people to join one private conversation as far as I can tell."

And this idea is what comes to mind, and I do acknowledge some of it might be flawed. I ain't expecting this to be the "goose that lays the golden egg" on my first go, but I'm gonna try:

When someone says something that would result in a kick or suspension, instead - Kickbot puts said person on a Region-only "ignore" for a brief moment, or indefinitely. DE can keep the Region chat they want clean for new people or people who don't want to hear the N or F word dropped, but here is the kicker--

Anyone who was "ignored" on Region can be manually taken off the ignore list, and can only communicate with said people who has removed said people from Region-Ignore. Also, doing so keeps kickbot from doing another ignore if said person says something that wouldn't be acceptable in DE's Region chat, and is basically saying, "You're fine with what this person says and no further action will be taken unless otherwise".

You can keep talking to said person about certain subjects in public-- er, Semi-public, you or they are the only ones that can communicate with each other and some people who don't wish to read the communication WON'T have to, albeit you may will look silly talking to someone who isn't there - save for anyone who can tell what is going on.

The original idea was to put people on straight-up ignore, and that is already extreme. It'd do no one any good and it'd be a chore to do constant de-ignoring just to keep a conversation going with someone you thought was alright.
Which would mean adding an "ignore" section to Communications to know who is on ignore and perhaps a small note beside the name that states either you ignored this person at a period of time, or if it's recent - you ignored/this person was put on ignore because they said something DE didn't agree with being said in Region and/or a small portion of what was said to trigger it.

Plus, that'd mean creating a specific kind of ignore for Region over the normal one. Which might be a waste of time, since DE are great people and they're hard at work with everything else - trust me when I say, I don't believe anyone should stop the world for me or anyone else, because we had something to say or we didn't like what was going on. and making that a category in Communication so people know who was placed on "Region-Ignore" and would either have to check the note or remember what was said in region to know who to ignore.

Plus, we're a bit lazy and there is the issue that the "ignore" list will get full/overwhelmingly full in minutes.

On retrospect, this is all one big dumb idea, it wouldn't work - albeit it looks like it could or just looks like it could go somewhere. But I wanted to get it off my chest. If anyone in the community on the DE team has a better idea how to approach something like this, or some other idea entirely, feel free to comment below xD Constructive criticism would be appreciated, but let me know whatcha think.

God bless,

Xemgoa

P.W. ... ... ... -digs a trench, puts on a hard helmet and kevlar, and waits in the ditch-

Edited by Xemgoa

You are not owed access to DE's chat platform. You use it at their pleasure. You agree to as much in the ToS. A neat trick to communicating on the internet is to pretend there is an actual person behind that IGN... because there is. If you go to say something in chat and you would not say that in public or to a specific stranger on the street, maybe rethink it?

47 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

You are not owed access to DE's chat platform. You use it at their pleasure. You agree to as much in the ToS. A neat trick to communicating on the internet is to pretend there is an actual person behind that IGN... because there is. If you go to say something in chat and you would not say that in public or to a specific stranger on the street, maybe rethink it?

I am aware, but I had the get the idea off my head. I realized my idea was a terrible one though and someone was happy enough to make me see the flaws in this idea.

... -takes off helmet and peers around- ... Strange, I was expecting people by the dozens shooting this topic down like the beach of Normandy....

Should I have this topic deleted then?

Edited by Xemgoa