Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stealth Gameplay

Daisaku

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who enjoys the stealth bit of this game, but its probably the only part that I really enjoy. I probably wouldn't play warframe much if stealth play wasnt a possibility. I get bored with just shooting things, and it's even worse on levels you out gear where you just sprint from start to end.

I really want to see this game succeed even more than it is and would like to see certain things changed that inhibit stealth play.

Three problems I have with the stealth so far are:

1) the mission selection. There are a lot of missions where stealth is impossible. All defense missions, all infested missions, all void missions, etc. Defense is understandable but not the others. Why do the enemies always know where you are? 

2) Many warframes break stealth gameplay. In fact, warframes explicitly designed for use by stealth players have no stealth gameplay at all; they're so good at their job that you can just run through everything without being seen even by cameras. Imagine a "fighter" frame that instantly won fights. It breaks that half of the game.

3) There is no endgame for stealth players. Most endgame missions are impossible to stealth, there's not even a single spy mission in the entire void. Some challenges that end or fail the mission if alarms are turned on for instance.

Some ideas I had include secondary objectives for missions that encourage stealth play and reward stealth-focused mods, so players who don't like that play can ignore them. Or on the branching paths for planets one path can be "combat" and give direct combat mod, weapons and warframes while the other path is an "espionage" path that rewards stealth-focused mods, weapons and warframes.

Thank you for reading.

17 minutes ago, Daisaku said:

Why do the enemies always know where you are?

You defending something implies the opposition is sending units to get/destroy said thing. Stealth defense would be what?
Infested/Void is very easy justification. They're both hiveminds. The Infested share a mind and what one knows they all know. The Void towers are run via an entity called the Neural Sentry, a thing that is capable of taking control of most any unit the Corpus, Infested or Grineer send into the tower. 

21 minutes ago, Daisaku said:

Some ideas I had include secondary objectives for missions that encourage stealth play and reward stealth-focused mods, so players who don't like that play can ignore them. Or on the branching paths for planets one path can be "combat" and give direct combat mod, weapons and warframes while the other path is an "espionage" path that rewards stealth-focused mods, weapons and warframes.

The whole point of the game is that you can play or do anything in the game with whatever gear you want. Will it be optimal to run a Spy with Rhino? No. Is it possible? Yes.

Spy missions reward Ivara. Besides that, you are essentially splitting the game in two. Stealth is possible but is not the focus of the game. Splinter Cell, this is not. Neither is it Deus Ex.

technically Infested and Void isn't impossible, there is just zero error recovery since the Enemies share omniscience of everything in their areas.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

Will it be optimal to run a Spy with Rhino? No.

i mean, for most of the Spy Vaults, it kinda is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AoE Blasting the Cameras as well as Killing or incapacitating all of the Enemies and leaving you free to casually walk to the Objective.

granted that's not Rhino in particular.

Edited by taiiat

3 hours ago, peterc3 said:

You defending something implies the opposition is sending units to get/destroy said thing. Stealth defense would be what?
Infested/Void is very easy justification. They're both hiveminds. The Infested share a mind and what one knows they all know. The Void towers are run via an entity called the Neural Sentry, a thing that is capable of taking control of most any unit the Corpus, Infested or Grineer send into the tower. 

The whole point of the game is that you can play or do anything in the game with whatever gear you want. Will it be optimal to run a Spy with Rhino? No. Is it possible? Yes.

Spy missions reward Ivara. Besides that, you are essentially splitting the game in two. Stealth is possible but is not the focus of the game. Splinter Cell, this is not. Neither is it Deus Ex.

To the defense comment; yes, that's why I said defense missions make sense. They're attacking something else in the area you are also in, not being able to stealth it makes perfect sense. The infested and void don't really.

For lore reasons, a hive mind isn't really an excuse. It would make them all swarm you if you were ever spotted, but that doesnt equal omniscience. If you break line of sight on all members of a hive mind, you should still lose them. But you could be on the other end of the ship and they'll all still know, despite having no technology to tell them where you are.

My point is that for whatever reason, the devs put a stealth system into the game. If it's in the game it was obviously meant to be used, and although we're probably a minority people do play the game for that system. It shouldn't be shoehorned in because their game was about "robot ninjas in outer space" but then realized they had no stealth.

The enemies look for bodies. They set off alarms. There is sound detection and stealth finishers and a stealth exp combo multiplier. It wasnt added in a weekend, it should be used. If you don't like it that's fine but that's why I said it should be separate so people who don't like that playstyle can avoid it.