Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To grind (for a Warframe slot) or not to grind (and spend money IRL)? That is the question!

(PSN)EyeGodZA

Question

Per the title, I really REALLY REALLY want a few new slots.

From the research I've done I understand I can score some plat at Maroo's by trading:

1) Relics?
2) Prime Parts?
3) Mods?

(Advice here would be appreciated; I'm a total noob at trading and wouldn't know where to begin; googling also produces so many results it's overwhelming.)

FYI I've just cleared Jupiter and am on Europa now with a whole whack of weapons and frames I just can't access without selling some, and I've been advised not to sal maxed Excalibur and Rhino and some other weapons that are required for future builds...

OR

Do I just bite the bullet and buy the Magnetic Mayhem Dual Pack on PSN? I'm more than happy to drop some real money on this game now, cos I think the devs deserve it, but in the same breath, I don't want to just buy stuff; I enjoy the grind.

So do I just get Nova or Mag Prime then? Or do I just go for accessories? Or just spend a small amount of money on plat?

MY GOAL:

To advance my MR and clear the Star Chart at a reasonable curve and support DE

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, (PS4)EyeGodZA said:

I've actually done a fair amount of rifts and therefore have quite a bit of "Prime junk", I guess? But lemme do some more; I've got quite a few relics in my inventory; should I just blast through them all and grind for some parts? Have mainly been doing it for forma; is that a bad move? And then - finally - just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: craft the parts, but not the weapon/frame, so you can trade a full set?

Re Twitch Prime, it's linked; I got Fang and Vectis Prime yesterday... AND OMG VECTIS PRIME!!! I've been using it like a shotty almost, and it's just brutal, now that I'm learning how to mod and combine damage types... HOLY SH*T! Sadly, I'm a bit late to the game and I missed getting Trinity Prime, which is no longer available as part of the deal... 🤦‍♂️

Also... Ducats? I have a vague understanding of them, and will read the wiki, but I don't think I've got anything... If you're willing to offer more advise, I'd appreciate!

Do not craft the warframe parts or the warframes. Weapon parts are already made. If you avoid building them yourself you can cut the drain on your own resources and save yourself some credits, which seeing as how you just started you’ll want to save them.

Forma is nice but if you want to make quick plat grab anything other than it. People don’t buy forma BP’s so the only person they are benefitting is you and at lower levels you don’t really need to forma.

Ducats are used for trading with the void trader. He comes once every two weeks and shows up in one of the various relays on the star chart. Most of the time he carries a mix of primed mods (mods that have a higher max power limit then their non primed counterparts.), Prisma weapons (better then average but not as good as Primed), A verity of cosmetics, the sands of Inaros quest (needed to get Inaros) and relics that you can only get from him. To get ducats you can take your prime junk and their BP’s to a kiosk in any relay (save maroon) and sell them their. Each BP/part will have a price listed between 5-100 ducats. Harder to get items will have higher prices while easier ones will be lower.

Re selling starting gear, I want to hold onto Rhino and Excalibur as I understand I may need them later for other builds? Or do I have this wrong... I've just asked around in Region Chats, and peeps have been telling me to hold onto both. But to be fair I've only potatoed Excal and it's my main frame at the moment... I'm just dying for slots cos I've got Frost and Oberon waiting and I'm SO keen to give them a spin.

So you will never need a warframe to make another warframe. The only current exception to the rule is Chroma (non prime) who you will need a part from 4 different frames to build. You will get to that much later in the game threw story missions so don't worry about it right now. You will also get a much better version of Excal threw story much later on via the sacrifice quests though that is more or less in the current endgame so if you want to hold onto the one you have right now don’t be ashamed of it. (I kept my starting volt until I got the last piece to build prime.) Rhino is good for a tank, Frost is bae (he is my go to for defense), and Oberon is good for CC and support.

As for the guns I don’t believe there are any weapons that require the MK-1’s to make. I could be wrong on that though so take it with a grain of salt. Know that the MK-1’s are some of the worst weapons in the game so you really have no where else to go but up.

Re buying Prime Vault packs; you mean just accessories, right? And then grinding for the frames rather than buying them outright?

You can get the Chroma pack if you want, but I would personally go for the Mag or Nova packs instead. They should be out of the vault and the nova pack I believe will grant you the BP for the extractor prime. The Extractor prime will pull more resources from where ever you set it. You should be able to farm the relics for the parts of the above 3 frames.

Now, another question: how many frame and weapon slots are a good amount to purchase? I'm gonna have a fair amount of plat after purchasing everything...

If I buy slots I do it as I need them. I try not to buy slots unless I really enjoy all my current frames. I think I have about 12 filled slots myself with one saved for Garuda when fortuna hits console.

Just now, (XB1)Danowat32 said:

Trading is simple, sit on trade chat with a "wtb" text filter (want to buy), see what people want, get the items (or check your inventory for them) and profit.

As for the choice of pay or grind, that's entirely up to you, plat is easy to get through trading, but I generally buy prime vaults anyway.

Okay, thanks!

Lemme check out trading some; just want to spend my time playing and not trading, and I'm dying to try out my new frames and weapons, level them up and advance my MR. But in the same breath, the Dual Pack looks like a pretty sweet deal!

I strongly suggest you don't use the horror of trade chat or maroo's, but instead use https://ps4.warframe.market/
It makes everything so much easier.

Open relics, sell duplicates, sell duplicate mods, etc.
If you want to spend money on the game, try to spend it mostly on cosmetics you really like, since a lot of other things like weapons and warframes can be achieved for free. I'm not saying don't buy them, just saying you can save money, if you want to.

Edited by -AxHx-Vile

2 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

I strongly suggest you don't use the horror of trade chat or maroo's, but instead use https://ps4.warframe.market/
It makes everything so much easier.

Open relics, sell duplicates, sell duplicate mods, etc.
If you want to spend money on the game, try to spend it mostly on cosmetics you really like, since a lot of other things like weapons and warframes can be achieved for free. I'm not saying don't buy them, just saying you can save money, if you want to.

I've tried both, I don't know what trade chat is like on other platforms, but it's far from a horror on XBO!

Market is ok, but I don't like the lag, and prefer the instantcy of trade chat.

Each to their own though.

Not sure what MR you are, but if you're still quite new to the game, i'd advise just making enough plat to get some extra slots first and then after you use up those slots, considering supporting DE and buying plat if you want to. Get a feel for what it takes to make some plat first. 

If you do decide to support DE, i would try waiting for a 25%, 50%, 75% off. That's personally the only time i buy plat. DE is generous enough to offer them often enough to players so why not take advantage of it.

As far as making plat goes, one of the simplest and easiest ways to do it imo is running Fissure missions using relics you've obtained playing through the star chart. You're guaranteed a prime part every time and if you're playing a public match, you have 3 other players that will be using relics and you'll have more chances to get different/rarer gear to sell or keep. If you specifically want to get Relics to use for farming prime gear,  Belenus in the Void is one of the best places to get Relics. If you don't have it unlocked, then other defense missions throughout the star chart should offer relic drops, maybe just not as often.

Edit: And i forgot to add https://ps4.warframe.market/ is a great place to do trading. Im not sure how much the experience differs from PC, but i think it's extremely convenient for looking up prices for selling and buying. If you're selling, i would still use the trade chat in-game though. Don't rely solely on the website to sell something cause it can take a while until someone buys from you if it's not the cheapest option available.

Edited by MacAaroni

actually @(PS4)drpunk-yo you might want to use warframe.market to sell quickly. Though is it set up for consoles/efficient?

Trade chat can net a higher price if you can handle staring at riven ads and advertising every few minutes though. 

But getting what 12-20 play for slots is not too hard. If you check your mods for some on .warframe.market you might have a few that will get you 10 or 15 plat without even realizing it.

Assuming you have PS+ and have not already done so, be sure to get the free Booster Pack II...it includes 100 platinum.

If you are enjoying the game, getting the 1200 plat from the Magnetic Mayhem Dual Pack would certainly give you plenty of time to ease into trading...and it does include 2 of my favorite frames. Don't worry, there's still plenty of other things to grind for! 🙂

I used to trade syndicate mods and weapons for plat...don't know how viable that is these days...

ooh actually buying the $60 unvaulted package atm, if you want to spend some money in the nearish future is a good buy, because you probs don't have any of the things in it and they may be helpful, plus it includes 1200 plat

it will be up for awhile though so no need to decide right away.

Do you know about twitch/amazon prime rewards? You can get weapons and warframes that way, including the weapon/warframe slot from them if you already have the frame and sell it.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

When I was in your position I bought 75 plat and spent that on slots.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, man; I'm spending some dough and supporting DE and I can FINALLY use Frost and Oberon, both of which have just been sitting in my foundry waiting for me!

14 minutes ago, MacAaroni said:

Not sure what MR you are, but if you're still quite new to the game, i'd advise just making enough plat to get some extra slots first and then after you use up those slots, considering supporting DE and buying plat if you want to. Get a feel for what it takes to make some plat first. 

If you do decide to support DE, i would try waiting for a 25%, 50%, 75% off. That's personally the only time i buy plat. DE is generous enough to offer them often enough to players so why not take advantage of it.

As far as making plat goes, one of the simplest and easiest ways to do it imo is running Fissure missions using relics you've obtained playing through the star chart. You're guaranteed a prime part every time and if you're playing a public match, you have 3 other players that will be using relics and you'll have more chances to get different/rarer gear to sell or keep. If you specifically want to get Relics to use for farming prime gear,  Belenus in the Void is one of the best places to get Relics. If you don't have it unlocked, then other defense missions throughout the star chart should offer relic drops, maybe just not as often.

Edit: And i forgot to add https://ps4.warframe.market/ is a great place to do trading. Im not sure how much the experience differs from PC, but i think it's extremely convenient for looking up prices for selling and buying. If you're selling, i would still use the trade chat in-game though. Don't rely solely on the website to sell something. 

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

oh to append that, did you know the console across from the market console (the codex) has tutorials? That and joining a clan can make a big difference.

Thanks, I know about the tuts, but didn't think to check 'em out for trading. Will do! And a clan is on the agenda.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Elvenbane said:

Assuming you have PS+ and have not already done so, be sure to get the free Booster Pack II...it includes 100 platinum.

If you are enjoying the game, getting the 1200 plat from the Magnetic Mayhem Dual Pack would certainly give you plenty of time to ease into trading...and it does include 2 of my favorite frames. Don't worry, there's still plenty of other things to grind for! 🙂

I used to trade syndicate mods and weapons for plat...don't know how viable that is these days...

I'm thinking maybe just buy 75 plat for now and sit on the Dual Pack for a while and see how I go from there.

No PS+, which is one of the reasons I love Warframe - I don't need a PS+ membership to play, and that sold me!

7 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

ooh actually buying the $60 unvaulted package atm, if you want to spend some money in the nearish future is a good buy, because you probs don't have any of the things in it and they may be helpful, plus it includes 1200 plat

it will be up for awhile though so no need to decide right away.

Do you know about twitch/amazon prime rewards? You can get weapons and warframes that way, including the weapon/warframe slot from them if you already have the frame and sell it.

Yep, have been streaming; hoping I got some drops!

Copy re the Dual Pack - it's on my wishlist!

Getting plat for slots isn’t too hard. A lot of the times in trade chat you will see people wanting to buy “Prime junk” these are misc. Prime parts/bp’s that you have that you may not be able to craft yourself or are missing pieces of that are no longer obtainable. If your in a hurry its not too bad however for trades your best bet is to pop relics until you get a full set of a sentinel, a warframe, or a weapon. Once you have the parts DO NOT BUILD IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO KEEP IT, you cannot currently sell already built items so if you make it, its yours.

You can use the trade channel for some sales but low MR items such as Fang Prime don’t sell for much more then 10plat. If you go to maroons your more likely to get a better deal (15-20 plat) but you will have to wait a lot longer as fewer players actually shop at the bazar. There is always the warframe market site though. These are where you list the items and your price and people can tell you if they are interested and want to buy what you’re selling. The prices there are some of the lowest which for buyers is great, selling not so much but depending on the items you’re selling it moves a lot faster than the other two options.

Something to note is that if you have Amazon prime you should link it to twitch (so you have twitch prime) and link your twitch to your warframe account. It sounds silly but they often give away free items such as you currently being able to get Trinity Prime (a good support frame with a slot to hold her in) and the previously mentioned Fang prime(dual daggers)  and Vectis Prime(one of the best snippers in the game). The twitch drops are also a nice bonus as every warframe drop comes with its own slot, same with all weapon drops from twitch.

Lastly seeing that you’re on PS4 check the ps4 store and there may still be the starters package which was free for quite some time and contained 100 plat for you to spend in game (though this plat cannot be traded to other players.)

A bit of a side thing, don't be afraid to sell rhino or your starting gear, with a little grinding you can always get it back later. It's not a once you've had it you can't get it again kind of game. New frames part bp's can be obtained from Assassinations and weapons/warframe bps can be bought from the market on your obiter for credits. Just make sure you right bumper (I think) so it shows the bp and its credit cost vs making you spend plat for the full thing. If you do spend plat on a full warframe or weapon be aware they do come with their own slot so if you have a coupon it might be worth it.

There are actually a few frames and possibly weapons you can't regain without buying them from the market.

I think Chroma is one of them currently, I had to buy him awhile back for my boyfriend after he sold the frame off as it wasn't his style. There's a number of them, if I am correct. Mostly, if not all, are based around a quest the player has to complete.

Because you’re relatively new:

While Chroma PA is best Plat value in Store you can still easily hit the boring wall and the money will become waist.

No to trading. Everything you will get you need, even duplicate Mods, you can turn them into Endo or Credits. Prime junk doesn’t exist for you, you need them for yourself or for Baro’s Ducats. Do you have around 1k Ducats prepared for his next visit in Friday? 

Imho, cheaper packs is best way for you, atm.