Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwings in Vallis and PoE

IRInsane

Hey devs.  So I know this has been thrashed to death and back, and I know for most players it's a minor change, but I'm already missing the old (experimental) archwing movement in your two open world areas.

The biggest problem I have is that there was really no need for it.

If you wanted to make the movement more intuitive for people used to shooters, fine, but make it a menu setting.  As it is now after the hotfix, archwings have been rendered pointless for me now.  As a flight and arcade sim veteran, these new (old?) controls feel terrible.  The worst part is, you guys have a menu setting, but decided not to use it, for whatever reason.

If you wanted to make K drives more viable in game, also fine.  But there was no need to nerf archwings like this.  Nerf the speed fine, but the overall controls and feel of it?  WHY?

If you guys want to make K-drives more viable, then BUFF K-drives.  I still won't be using them, even after the changes.  You can't use weapons, they have limited powers, and they're STILL slower than archwings, mainly due to their inability to easily navigate mountains.

It's just.  I know it's minor, but this has sucked most of the fun out of PoE and fortuna for me.  Some of the best things was being able to provide close air support for allies with majestic sweeping attack runs, just like an A-10.  Now?  I feel like an amazon prime drone.  I'm about as fragile too, I should mention that, with the old experimental controls I always used my agility and speed to avoid enemy ground fire.  I can't do that anymore.  No more aileron rolls, no more barrel rolls, no more hammerhead turns or immelmans.

I understand some people like the new system, and I don't wish to alienate that half of the player base.  But I don't see why you would alienate the other half of your player base when there was no need!  PLEASE, make the control scheme changeable in the menu.

3 minutes ago, Melanholic7 said:

heh and im mostly upset by boost speed nerf. from 100% to 20 huh? 80% lower? wtf..its slow as hell now. im not crying, but still this demotivates a bit sometims to go into open world ;( 

I'm not upset about the speed nerf.  I can understand why you would be, but I'm not.  It makes the game world feel bigger, and allows me more time to correct my flight path if we had the old controls back.  Plus best of all, it allows me to extend my attack runs.

Im not entirely sure what this post is referring to but as someone who as loved archwing since release i will attempt to seek clarification 

Archwing 1.0 flight mechanic was by far the most agile. There was a few small changes afterward but nothing resembling a flight model change. 

Archwing 2.0 was the introduction of experimental flight. This was the simulated six degrees of freedom, our first chance to get "twist turned upside down"

Then they added in the toggle. 

Experimental flight aka not actually six degrees of freedom was in my opinion terrible. While the novelty of rotation was much appreciated as it gave a new face to the corpus tile set [felt brand new upside down] it still stifled control and agility by pasting you to what seemed like the back of an invisible sphere through which you attempted to dictate control.

Then eventually we got "skywing". Why they would even label this differently i have no idea since it is basically what 1.0 wishes it could be, and what 2.0 tried to be but failed miserably. It allowed for rotation but actually gave back control and agility. 

The experimental flight option was still in game last i checked. 

Are you saying that toggling on experimental flight [turning on flight model 2.0 as previously described] doesnt work on the plains/fortuna? 

Or are you saying that we can no longer loop and barrel roll? 

Im trying to understand, thanks for any replies. 

12 hours ago, PookieNumnums said:

Im not entirely sure what this post is referring to but as someone who as loved archwing since release i will attempt to seek clarification 

Archwing 1.0 flight mechanic was by far the most agile. There was a few small changes afterward but nothing resembling a flight model change. 

Archwing 2.0 was the introduction of experimental flight. This was the simulated six degrees of freedom, our first chance to get "twist turned upside down"

Then they added in the toggle. 

Experimental flight aka not actually six degrees of freedom was in my opinion terrible. While the novelty of rotation was much appreciated as it gave a new face to the corpus tile set [felt brand new upside down] it still stifled control and agility by pasting you to what seemed like the back of an invisible sphere through which you attempted to dictate control.

Then eventually we got "skywing". Why they would even label this differently i have no idea since it is basically what 1.0 wishes it could be, and what 2.0 tried to be but failed miserably. It allowed for rotation but actually gave back control and agility. 

The experimental flight option was still in game last i checked. 

Are you saying that toggling on experimental flight [turning on flight model 2.0 as previously described] doesnt work on the plains/fortuna? 

Or are you saying that we can no longer loop and barrel roll? 

Im trying to understand, thanks for any replies. 

I should have clarified.  The changes they made in 24.0.4 hotfix is what I don't like.  They changed how the archwings fundamentally worked, and it broke them in my opinion.  I understand some people like the new controls, so why not just add a toggle option, or use the "Enable experimental flight" option in the menus for this.  From what I can tell, that option does nothing for ground and space anyways, might as well make it for something.

Unless it was broken at some point experimental flight definitely changes how the archwing flight mechanics work.

To put it simply

Imagine a ball.

O

now glue your warframe to the back of it.

O{

Now place the point of rotation of this sphere at the front of it. 

•O{

Now when you turn or rotate or whatever, the front control point is the center of rotation and the sphere rotates around it 

》》

}( • ){

《《

And 

To make this even worse, the point of collisions is the center of rotation, or, the front of the invisible ball in front of you that gets in the way and prevents precision maneuvers because whoops you just hit something you werent even close to because you couldnt accurately gauge when to turn or how far away from a surface to be because youre not actually controlling the position of the warframe but rather the point a few meters in front.  

Sounds complicated and terrible, and it is/was. 

Tbh they should just give all archwing forms the same plains-wing controls and be done with it. 

Also, it needs to stop following the direction im facing because sometimes i wanna look one way while going another. 0