General Bug Report Guidelines - Please Read ×

Tombfinger is very, very broken

Mudfam

I noticed this weapon being extremely inconsitent, sometimes doing great damage, but often barely doing any damage at all. I did some in depth testing in the simulacrum and it turns out it's pretty broken.

It seems the weapon fires a projectile which does puncture and impact damage, and explodes on impact dealing radiation damage in a small AoE. Unfortunately the radiation splash damage is extremely inconsistent, it only deals damage some of the time, and not very often.

I tested shooting enemies directly, the environment and nearby enemies. When shooting the environment you can see that it depends on where you shoot, but I couldn't find a pattern, sometimes in front of them works, sometimes to the side, sometimes behind...

Even when shooting an enemy directly they will very frequently not receive any radiation / splash damage. To test this further I also tried shooting Nova's Antimatter Drop, this is only affected by the splash damage about 20% of the time.

Agree, most of the time damages stay consistent.
But some shots (for me about 2 to 4 %) are not proprely registred, resulting in having only a 2 damage with impact icone displayed when it's crit or 1 damage when it's not critical.

There is a thread on this in the Fortuna forums.  Tombfinger AoE splash only fires in a backwards cone from the impact point.

That's why you won't see AoE damage the target you hit or anything behind it.  You can test this in the Simulacrum with groups.  Shooting beside or behind targets will cause AoE (only radiation damage).  The impact and puncture only occurs on targets hit by the projectile.

3 hours ago, Wandrecanada said:

There is a thread on this in the Fortuna forums.  Tombfinger AoE splash only fires in a backwards cone from the impact point.

That's why you won't see AoE damage the target you hit or anything behind it.  You can test this in the Simulacrum with groups.  Shooting beside or behind targets will cause AoE (only radiation damage).  The impact and puncture only occurs on targets hit by the projectile.

Yup. Making the gun utterly worthless. Meanwhile the catchmoon fires a projectile as large as the tombfinger's "AoE" that does 4 times as much damage and punches through an unlimited number of targets while delivering easy headshots to proc the pax arcanes. Balance.

I'm disappointed that this gun is still in such a sorry state. Meanwhile we get hotfixes for improved pet shivering animations. The same pets that just run on the spot or in circles or just freeze up completely and never do anything useful.:facepalm: