Roaming NPC operatives in Defense are bugged and need to be replaced by static cryopods ASAP

Ssalem

Their AI is piss poor, they walk into groups of enemies, they deliberately leave Frost's bubble and other defensively placed measures. It makes it almost impossible for players to actually plan ahead and properly defend them. Worse, in Arbitrations they can't even be saved from their own stupidity, once they're downed, the mission is over. 

Losing missions not due to the player's fault, but because the Defense's target AI is brain dead, is terrible game design. 

But wait, there is more! Currently the operatives don't just move around like idiots, ever since Arbitration came out, they actually teleport all over the map.  As a Gara I can hardly put a splinter storm on them once, if I'm lucky. It's not even latency issues, it happens even when I'm the host. 

I'm begging someone at DE, just replace them with static cryopods and let's forget they ever existed please.  

It could happen at arbiteration that the operative teleports around, cause they try to follow one of the players, if the one noticed it and may not go around crazy it isnt that much of a problem.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ssalem:

Worse, in Arbitrations they can't even be saved from their own stupidity, once they're downed, the mission is over. 

They could be saved, just get used to that the operative follows one of the players, so that player moves to a save spot or one that is easy to defend. Most time that is just ignored and the ppl jump into the biggest waves followed by the operative...

The sortie operative just walks around normal, at least for me.

Oh and: frost could "move" the globe around cause to the stacking nature of it.

They attach to a random player and follow them around. They teleport if they cant follow that player fast enough

The piss poor AI is on the part of the player who doesnt notice this and drags the npc thru 20 eximuses

Id be fine with changing it back to cryopods tho. Babysitting the npc is annoying and having to run after idiots while trying to keep it alive is even more annoying 😛

Edited by Howtoshootgun

5 hours ago, Ssalem said:

I'm begging someone at DE, just replace them with static cryopods and let's forget they ever existed please.  

Let's replace all the static crypods with operative Defense.

Love the idea that it's bad because it won't stay in the functionally invincible bubble that Frost makes. Really sells your point.

4 hours ago, Shonaney said:

It could happen at arbiteration that the operative teleports around, cause they try to follow one of the players, if the one noticed it and may not go around crazy it isnt that much of a problem.

They could be saved, just get used to that the operative follows one of the players, so that player moves to a save spot or one that is easy to defend. Most time that is just ignored and the ppl jump into the biggest waves followed by the operative...

The sortie operative just walks around normal, at least for me.

Oh and: frost could "move" the globe around cause to the stacking nature of it.

What about other frames though? Like Gara. It takes her considerable amount of energy and time to set up her wall, then the moron just walks through it.  And her wall scales off enemies' health they were inside the ring, this is just punishing her for no reason, for reasons outside her control. This is bad design.

Then there's Limbo. Maybe Khora even. Walking operatives are unpredictable,  players don't truly have any powers over them, therefore they're highly obnoxious to play with. Babysitting is simply not fun. It's no coincidence defection is so hated.

Besides, as others too have mentioned in this thread, most players do ignore the operative and jump into the fray. But this isn't a bad thing!! It's how Warframe is meant to be played, picking fights with enemies on our own terms. It's the natural flow of game play.

And often you don't even have control over where you can or can't go. I don't think I have to introduce anyone to the all too familiar phenomenon of enemies getting stuck in doorways, spawn points or thin air, forcing the players to actively seek them out all the way across the map. Or having to roll and jump around with a fragile frame to avoid getting insta-gibbed.

I dont even have a problem with gara at arbiterations, casting the splinterstorm at the target, keep it up with casting the wall cause i have to do that anyway to keep my own splinterstorm up to stockpile dmg.

And sortie defense, yeah may they are a problem if u dont have various frames to choose from. But thats sortie, know whos the enemy and what special is up, adapt to that and get the challenge done.

Sometimes you have to protect a moving target, thats like u learned how to kill a moving target instead of just hitting walls...

I guess u also want to remove nullifier, cause they remove your defense skills at the stationary object?

You realize AI cannot deliberately do anything... it's not like the Defense Target has ACTUAL awareness of it's surroundings and thinks F that bubble, I'm gonna go chomp on some bullets.

I know of many players, myself included, that never suffer from this playmode. For starters, Frost is a terrible choice for this. You're going to be recasting bubbles trying to keep up with the target and if you're not overcasting or popping old bubbles along the way, you just end up trolling your team.

#1. Have a Limbo come along and cast the target into the void. They strictly babysit the target and let the team do their thing.

#2. Run CC frames like Volt, Nyx, Vauban, Zephyr, Banshee etc. to keep the enemies off the target.

#3. Run Obee Won Tennobi, slap a garden down and keep it fresh around the target. Spamming this never affects teammates negatively, so long as your energy color isn't offensive.

I hope they don't remove this, the sub-par AI in place adds to the difficulty and is a welcomed challenge to work around. Rather than trying to make the game easier and make excuses, try approaching the situation from a different angle and adapt.

I like the idea of Challenge

but if we are going to have the AI be the challenge

how about it be the Enemy AI being Smarter

not the Allied AI being Dumber

?

and obviously smarter Enemies enriches the rest of the game as well, not just Defense

alternately replace the VIP with a small Ostron child, or a Kubrow puppy, at least *then* the way they currently behave would make sense

On 2018-11-15 at 8:32 AM, Ssalem said:

B?ut? wait, there is more! Curre?nt?ly the operatives don't just move around like idiots, ever since Arbitration came out, they actually teleport all over the map?

The defense target follows one of the squad members, possibly the host. Sometimes it switches to whomever passes by them.

The problem is most people donÂ’t notice it or that they are being followed. Any healer or damage mitigation player is given a head ache because said players don't even notice the target is losing health and they are completely unconcerned that a frame with limited healing abilities canÂ’t help if they keep dragging the target away.

oberon and nidus can help... they can even help keep squaddies alive, if said squadies are smart enough not to run off and get themselves killed playing super hero.

Edited by (PS4)teacup775