Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yeah, the thing about game's story...

BloodRavenCap

Sorry for my bad English. I'll try my best to explain my grievances. If you think that I sound too self-entitled - I don't want to sound like that, maybe I just couldn't find proper way of explaining myself.

I just haven't seen discussion about this topic - at least, not on other media platforms, but I feel that Warframe's story is just too... disjointed.

I joined community about three-four months ago, finished main storyline quests and felt somewhat confused. I really enjoy good plot in games, sometimes even more than gameplay. And Warframe hooked me up pretty good in the start. I did some research and was surprised that the game initially didn't had prologue in form of "Vor's Prize" quest. That was interesting.
And I noticed, that after the end of quest plot pretty much leaves you for some time, until you start "Stolen Dreams". What was Chroma doing? What was the point of Arcane Machine?
Even the quests themselves start without any premise: you're just thrown into the world with characters spouting exposition. And that's kinda funny, because after that quests like "Glast Gambit" or "Silver Grove" are acquired after talking to Syndicate leaders on any relay. They explain the situation, tell, what they want from you: quests have a setup, build-up and pay-off.
But quests at the start of the game? They're more like "things happening without explaining". That would be normal if they made sense in retrospective, but plot-points started at "Stolen Dreams" and "New Strange" are almost abandoned right now, aren't they? Or DE just plays the long game, where they'll shock us with plot-points most people already forgot and will make those plot-point actually important?

But I remember my confusion with "Limbo theorem" quest, when Ordis just started talking about some theory that apparently our Operator was developing in its' free time. I haven't even known that those things were happening? What about some proper set-up, like it was build in later quests? I mean, I, personally, was thrown off by game's refusal to explain anything about it's story. It looked like it had such a deep lore - and I actually like synthesis targets stories a lot - but didn't want to show it to me.
And when I got deeper in the game, I saw, how DE can make a good quest - but still, there were some problems. "Second Dream" was a genius story, that was delivered very good and stylish - but Lotus exposition at the end sounds a little too blunt. But it works, mostly because at this point we believe her, so it actually looks like she was trying to complete our Tenno indoctrination.

But how she got on the ship? Why Stalker disappeared after War was broken? And if Umbra is the only self-aware warframe, why our frame took action in the "Second Dream"? I guess DE wants to leave those questions for later quests, but still, there is a lot of difference between leaving things misterious on purpose and not having a mastery to deliver story in a way, that leaves out any stupid questions.

Same goes for Apostasy Prologue and Sacrifice. Is it past, present of the future? How Tenno got on Lua to witness Ballas and Lotus leaving? Was that just a vision? But if it was, how Tenno already knows Ballas in the Sacrifice?
Oh, and Sacrifice. Lotus and Ballas kill Umbra on Lua. Okay, when does it happen? I guess, in the present - because Lotus is already with Ballas and she is in her Sentient form. They ressurected Umbra to kill it? Or what? What's even happening?

To top it off, I was thinking that I was in the dropship this whole time, but somebody told me, that Tenno is using something called "the Orbiter", so I had to look it up. Yeah, I found it and understood that dropship is just a removable part of the Orbiter. But why this wasn't explained in the game or shown in the cutscene? 
And even if we were told how warframes are build, I can't understand, what is Foundry doing? How it even works? Where do we get the bodies? Ok, Foundry can create clones of already existing warframes. Is it even that easy in-universe? I guess, Grineer clone themselves all the time, but look at the guys - they're horrendous, that means technology isn't perfect. And Helminth only creates infested flesh, right? But it means it has to be attached to something. As I understood, infestation grows from bodies, not just by itself. So does that mean we're creating bodies somewhere else?
We have so much things in Codex - but really, they aren't really that helpful. And DE could just fill it out with interesting stories and stuff, they could expand the universe just by using words and nothing else. They don't need to show everything, they just could tell, how the bigger universe is operating. Yeah, I know, "show, don't tell", but until we reach that point, so much time could pass. And if nobody patches up earlier quests, makes them more "plot-filled", if you could say, newer gamers will be thrown off by game's lack of hospitality.

Treating audience with respect to its intellegence and lack of hand-holding are always good, but is it really much to ask for game to be more immersive? Because, for now, Warframe for me is just a time-burner with occassionally good story moments, that actually MEAN something. "Chimera" was just ingenious piece of writing and presentation - DE showed and told so much in so little time, that they actually turned my understanding of the game upside down. We could think that from the point of view of usual enemies in the game Tenno could really be called devils and villains, that just kill for money and loot, but when mutated Ballas told about Lotus purposefully sic us on other enemies to scatted distrust and chaos, I just appreciated DE's understanding of all the grey areas that we enter in this game's story.

And if game's immersive, if it's filled with interesting stories, it becomes something more that just a game, it becomes an adventure.

Edited by BloodRavenCap

17 minutes ago, BloodRavenCap said:

the game initially didn't had prologue in form of "Vor's Prize" quest.

That's the thing, DE are probably just adding these for the sake of it because this is a MMO loot n shoot and that's what the majority of players are here for, not quests or lore. All we can do is wait for them to add more cinematic quests and hope they connect all the previous ones somehow and answer all those questions you brought up about the second dream and such, even I wondered how the Lotus just appeared and then vanished into thin air and how our Warframe was able to break the sword despite the operator not controlling it.

Warframe Lore plays like a Quentin Tarantino movie.  Each quest is meant to bring light to "origins" and "conclusions" of the Tenno or designers who originally operated and/or created the warframes but little of it is in order.  I could write a short book on the subject but I suggest you just watch some of the Lore videos and draw the conclusions for yourself.

I honestly didn't pay attention to the story for the longest time. I just had no idea what was happening. I am caught up finally, and I really enjoy the lore, but if I am being totally honest, 90% of my understanding of the lore/story comes from outside the game because I read the wiki and watched Youtube lore videos.

My problem isn't with Warframe's story, it is with how it is told and how it reveals the story. I am often unable to differentiate whether the game is intentionally being vague to create mystery, or if I feel lost and confused because of something I missed or didn't pay enough attention to. 

Edited by IntheCoconut

Im here for the lore. The gameplay is amazing but the lore is outstanding. Altho you can say im not satisfied at all. But just because i want more. The story, especially the orokin/sentient story, is amazing. I want more but it comes mostly once or twice per year.. Im still hoping DE will make some system that will allow them to make quests monthly. It would be soooo amazing. 

I am also a big lore buff. At this point lore and atmosphere are the only things keeping me invested in Warframe. I love every part of it. I actually really like their presentation method, mostly because it reminds me of games with similar story presentations like the Dark Souls series and Shin Megami Tensei series. Instead of one linear, easily understood script it's more of a jigsaw puzzle you need to put together through different means (codex scanning, quests, loose bits of dialogue, certain item descriptions, etc). Watching some YT videos and wiki entries from lore buffs that took the time to really dig into it and understand the whole thing helped make it all become more clear to me, the same as it was with Dark Souls and SMT. I highly recommend that to you. Can give some suggestions if you want.

Now I do agree that in the first half of the Star Chart the story is very scarce, mostly told through dialogue that is very easy to miss. It just shows how the game evolved, from a smaller indie enterprise into a bigger, more ambitious and cinematic one. 

I'm all about the lore. I love it and I currently am working on a blog to compile it all, make sense of it, and discuss it: orokinarchives.tumblr.com.

That being said, I've been here since the beginning of the game, and I've watched them add in the lore bit by bit over the years. In most cases, it's treated as an afterthought, second to the gameplay. That's actually how it is for most game development, but in Warframe it seems particularly stark. In the last few years they've put more of an emphasis on lore, releasing grand cinematic quests, adding in more filler dialogue for background characters in Cetus and Fortuna, and releasing the Prime Warframe cinematic trailers, but it seems to be a bit of a drain on their resources, particularly in the animation department – it seems they've decided all their juicy bits of lore must be behind a cinematic.

I would love for them to put more Synthesis entries into the game, or lore in the Codex, or even more voice lines on the radio scanner in the ship. But their writing staff consists of Steve, who appears to have many many jobs at DE, and a single dedicated writer they hired last year. Given that much of the core storyline seems to come from Steve's ideas he's been kicking around in his head for 10 years, it's no wonder that lore development is slow.

All that aside, many of the questions you ask seem to be a little nitpicky in nature:

5 hours ago, BloodRavenCap said:

But how she got on the ship? Why Stalker disappeared after War was broken? And if Umbra is the only self-aware warframe, why our frame took action in the "Second Dream"?

5 hours ago, BloodRavenCap said:

Same goes for Apostasy Prologue and Sacrifice. Is it past, present of the future? How Tenno got on Lua to witness Ballas and Lotus leaving? Was that just a vision? But if it was, how Tenno already knows Ballas in the Sacrifice?
Oh, and Sacrifice. Lotus and Ballas kill Umbra on Lua. Okay, when does it happen? I guess, in the present - because Lotus is already with Ballas and she is in her Sentient form. They ressurected Umbra to kill it? Or what? What's even happening?

Good stories don't answer every question, and leave you wondering long after you finish. The metaphysical reality and capabilities of the Void (and the Rift, though that's less utilised) have not been made clear to us, and many of these unanswered questions can, in my opinion, be chalked up to "Void magic", or "ancient Orokin technology" as a fallback. These are things that aren't even well-understood in-universe, so they definitely won't make any sense to us as observers.

I think the disjointed and uncertainty of what’s going on is intentional -especially as you say at the beginning where you’re just thrown in with no explanation.  It reflects what our character knows - not a lot.  We are learning about it as our character learns about it.  We are confused just as the character is confused.

A couple of things:

• Some of the early story was told through events. Some mission types were also introduced via events. If you weren't here for those events, a number of things are unexplained. 
  • They've changed the starchart around a couple of times and some of the story is now out of sequence.

In the end, this game isn't (or hasn't been) driven in sequence by the story, rather you're accumulating it as pieces to a puzzle, from different perspectives, at different times and locations, and in different ways (videos, quests, fragments, real time events, etc).

Edited by schilds

Yes, this is the post I needed.

I remember when I was playing along the main story, and Hunhow decided to become War, the sword. Why? Why did the ultra-powerful sentient consciousness put itself into an inanimate, sharp tool of a weapon? Not only that (spoilers) I ran into stalker in my ship. After the encounter, I was left scratching my head. How did Stalker get there? Was *this* really the big conclusion? An ass-pull meeting with the stalker, unexplained, on my ship, for no reason?

Why didn't he just destroy the ship? Weren't sentients supposed to be intelligent? Why was their boss stuffing himself into a tool to be broken easily and not trying to hinder our efforts, instead just "go shadow, kill the tenno lol"? Why didn't he just destroy the transference chair? I expected a final battle with the stalker, but... here? In the ship? With no rhyme or reason? And with ordis not being able to tell me? Are you serious?

I was confused, and a little annoyed. It wasn't big, but I would have appreciated some context.

Sometimes id rather these unknown story elements have theorys they allude to but remain mysterious..

If you ever played mass effect (the first in the series) there were so many unanswered questions as to what sovereign was and why he was doing as he was. Keeping that mystery, but actually addressing the fact, not just leaving an empty space but actually declaring that it would be beyond your comprehension added more to the atmosphere. By the end of the series unfortunately they had told you too much about the sentients, leaving no mystery and instead a bunch of reasons and explanations that were nowhere near as satisfying as it had been before. 

Had they left much of the information out and simply added snippets hinting at their true purpose would have made the enemies far more enigmatic, not knowing who starchild really was, our own theories creating in our minds the stories we ourselves would have preferred..

Anyhoo..warframe definitely needs more snippets to hint at possible reasons, events that may have happened, but by no means should always tell us all the answers imho. Adds to the intrigue if anything.

If there's something you don't understand, then it's obviously too deep for you to comprehend. That's how I deal with it 😄 I do wish there were more lore to read about things, even if it's not in the game. But on the other hand the huge amount of mystery and confusion in all this is kind of what makes it so exciting. I very much appreciate the unpredictable type of story and telling of this game, I think even more than any other so far. 

Edited by SirTobe

The thing about this game stories is that they were built just like how side quests on open world game are. You’re not guided from quest to quest directly.. but you stumble upon them as you “explore the world”. They might felt disjointed but gave lores to the world. Connecting one aspect/part of the world with others. And so on. Like how the lore provided to us by the sacrifice quest are connected to what we know from phorid invasion missions and glast gambit.

They’re not there to give you a full single campaign story such as what many games have. They are there to build the world.

• 2 weeks later...
В 15.11.2018 в 22:32, _DapperDanMan_ сказал:

but I suggest you just watch some of the Lore videos and draw the conclusions for yourself.

Why would I want that? I write for almost four years, and through my experience I can say - if your reader has to get more info from outside sources, that means you didn't flesh your characters\universe enough.

That's the thing I don't like with modern stuff - everything relies on extra merchandise, like books, comics, anything else. Just look at Star Wars. Yeah, Expanded Universe gave something for Lucas to steal, but it actually became overweight with it's reliance on other media. Every character has something to do in novels or comics, and creators of movies became to lazy. Why would you flesh out your characters if someone else can do this?

Same goes for Warframe. It just doesn't have enough lore or plot-related stuff, or it's just too vague. But, I can get why. Because

В 16.11.2018 в 03:54, schilds сказал:
  • Some of the early story was told through events. Some mission types were also introduced via events. If you weren't here for those events, a number of things are unexplained. 
  • They've changed the starchart around a couple of times and some of the story is now out of sequence.

В 16.11.2018 в 03:19, GrayArchon сказал:

But their writing staff consists of Steve, who appears to have many many jobs at DE, and a single dedicated writer they hired last year. Given that much of the core storyline seems to come from Steve's ideas he's been kicking around in his head for 10 years, it's no wonder that lore development is slow.

Those bits actually explains everything. They should have hired at least three talented writers for the game. Because writer has to come up with ideas, write and proofread his stuff. Three people are minimum to get something working, especially for such big project. If they don't want to bother with glueing story together, at least they should hire people to do outside media. Yeah, I said above, that outside sources aren't a sign of good writing, but at least it's better than nothing.

And, for all my nagging, I would love to see Warframe comic, that tells us about other Tenno. Like, are they self-aware? How did they awoke? Did Lotus pull them out earlier than our Operator? How many Tenno are there? Do they operate together as Operators (sorry for this incredibly lame pun) often? Like, do Tenno even mingle among themselves? Did Lotus go through the same mother-like routines with every Tenno? Or she had her favorites and just commanded everyone else like they were her soldiers? Maybe there were 2edgy4her Tenno, that fallen out with everyone else, became hermits and started their own cults with some village people, that worshipped them. For all I know, even Stalker could be like that - just some guy that became disillusioned with Lotus - or even better, Marghulis. Yeah, I know Stalker's lore, but retcons are blight, that everyone likes to use. So they could retcon that Stalker was a Tenno too. But, of course, that would be THE WORST choice for Warframe lore. Ever.

So, yeah. 

Good stories don't answer every question, and leave you wondering long after you finish.

Good stories don't ask every question if they want something to leave for interpretation. When there are some much questions, that are left not for interpretation purposes, they become - you know - lazy writing.

All that aside, many of the questions you ask seem to be a little nitpicky in nature:

В 15.11.2018 в 22:08, BloodRavenCap сказал:

But how she got on the ship? Why Stalker disappeared after War was broken? And if Umbra is the only self-aware warframe, why our frame took action in the "Second Dream"?

Those are not nitpicks. Those are legitimate questions that should be answered. Because if they're not gonna be answered, they'll become plotholes. Like, Stalker KNOWS, that Tenno are children, that operate from the Orbiters, right? If he can teleport anywhere and really wants to punish Tenno, why he doesn't teleport on some Orbiter to kill Tenno right there, when they are in Transference mode? That's really important.

В 16.11.2018 в 00:33, Rayden_Tenno сказал:

The story, especially the orokin/sentient story, is amazing.

For me that's the weakest parts. Oroking becoming more caricature the more we know about them. Like, every damn thing they created turned on them? OK, that makes sense, they were A******s. But when it only took one man - Ballas - to destroy whole Orokin Empire - that's when "the great civilisation" talks start to sound absurd. How could I take Orokin seriously if they were that incompetent and comically evil? I mean, even Corpus and Grineer has redeeming qualities - Corpus even more, when you consider, that they're just usual people. And I don't get that sentiment, when "if they're cultists, it's ok to kill them". When I first encountered Corpus enemies on Venus, I felt so bad for them. Poor guys didn't stood a chance. After some quests - yeah, they're not that great, but still, - when I kill Grineer, it's almost like putting poor creatures out of their misery. Corpus? Man, I feel like S#&$ killing them. Maybe that was intentional, because you start to hate A******s from Board of Directors. But I doubt so.

Sentients? Even less cool. Take, for example, Reapers from Mass Effect. They were cool and scary when you didn't know a thing about them. Sovereign was actually somewhat effective villain. After Harbinger took his mantle as "villain of the week", everything started to feel less scary. And ME3 destroyed not only all the sense of urgency with its story, but all the suspense, when revealed Reapers' origins.

Best villains for me are effective, with motivations you fully understand and even agree with, but their methods are questionable at best, even when they are totally right and heroes are morally wrong. But here, we already know most of the Sentients motives. They aren't that great, not that interesting. And, after that, all the mistery is gone, because you know their origins. They're just a bunch of terraforming bots. What's interesting in that? There are no aliens, which is great, but that means we are left only with the Origin System, and at this point Warframe Universe becomes claustrophobic.

There is nothing else to explore. Yeah, you could go deeper, like they went with Fortuna and Corpus operations, but that's all. Sentients are made out to be final boss of Warframe. And it's boring. Like, really, REALLY boring.

Yeah, they could pull out their wild card with Man In the Wall. Still, when we defeat him, Sentients are still boring. Grineer have their moments, like, Tyl Regor was great, I felt bad for killing such fun guy, that just wanted best for his fellow "nation" (insert Hitler joke here). Corpus... man, Nef Anyo is such a goofball, he is entertaining, but not scary. Corpus can't be final boss, same goes for Grineer, I don't even want to talk about Infested.

I want some good villains. Ballas was actually great - yeah, he was a complete A****** to Umbra, but every Orokin was an A******, as we know. And still, I could feel sorry for the guy. It looked like with Marghulis everything good died in him. And he just wanted his love back. I can get behind that.

Everyone else? They're mediocre at best. Hunhow is hammy like Harbinger, and Harbinger sucks as a villain, he sucks so much, that he doesn't even talk in ME3. But Harbie, don't take it personally, I know it's not your fault, it's the fault of hack writers team from Bioware.

So, yeah, that's the moment where I should finish, I think.

On 2018-11-15 at 3:59 PM, Snydrex said:

I remember when I was playing along the main story, and Hunhow decided to become War, the sword. Why? Why did the ultra-powerful sentient consciousness put itself into an inanimate, sharp tool of a weapon?

I don't think you were paying attention in the previous quest, Natah. Hunhow is trapped in a tomb that we sealed with a rock fall. It's faster for him to become War than it is for him to try and dig himself out

On 2018-11-15 at 3:59 PM, Snydrex said:

Why didn't he just destroy the ship? Weren't sentients supposed to be intelligent?

Whether or not Hunhow knows to or wants to is irrelevant. Stalker is the dominant body, and he wants a much more personal kill

35 minutes ago, BloodRavenCap said:

Why would I want that?

Because.. The story is out of order and it's meant to be that way.. like a Quentin Tarantino movie. You expressed confusion, I offered a solution. The videos weren't suggested to tell the story, they were suggested to put things in chronological order for you. It's a Nonlinear narrative.. 

Edited by _DapperDanMan_

1 час назад, _DapperDanMan_ сказал:

Because.. The story is out of order and it's meant to be that way.. like a Quentin Tarantino movie. You expressed confusion, I offered a solution. The videos weren't suggested to tell the story, they were suggested to put things in chronological order for you. It's called Nonlinear narrative.. 

You repeat "Quentin Tarantino" like he is the only creator with nonlinear narrative. I could say that he isn't even the best.

You didn't get my complaint. Why would I want to see something from outside source that puts story in order, when writer should make the story comrehensible? The thing is, right now, there are things that are not quite clear in the story itself. And someone, other than the writer, who could try to put the story in order, would essentially create just a fan-fiction.
Until we get a solid affirmation on what really happened, everything else is just speculation. Yeah, it's fun to read or to listen. But it's not in the story.

And I am actually a little offended (yeah, not like SJW or anything, don't get me wrong, man 😂) that you consider that I didn't read everything that I could on the story. I did. But everything that was ripped from the game.

You don't get that I talk about "blank spots" and minor inconsistencies in the story. I like that they flesh out warframes, like Harrow or Titania. But I fear that developers forgot about those blank spots and won't use them in the future.

It has NOTHING to do with chronological understanding of the story. Essentially, I just want more story. And want it to be more meaningful.

Like, for me, Cetus is part of a global story because of Unum. It can explain why Orokin built their towers. But I don't get Fortuna. I get why they created it - to flesh out Corpus, but in the global view of things, it adds nothing to the main plot. Even warframes' quests add to understanding of the link between Operator and its' warframe, right? Chains of Harrow added so much to the lore, that I kinda see Fortuna as pointless right now. Yeah, Nef Anyo is evil, developers can write cyberpunk, more news at eleven.

3 minutes ago, BloodRavenCap said:

You repeat "Quentin Tarantino" like he is the only creator with nonlinear narrative. I could say that he isn't even the best.

You didn't get my complaint. Why would I want to see something from outside source that puts story in order, when writer should make the story comrehensible? The thing is, right now, there are things that are not quite clear in the story itself. And someone, other than the writer, who could try to put the story in order, would essentially create just a fan-fiction.
Until we get a solid affirmation on what really happened, everything else is just speculation. Yeah, it's fun to read or to listen. But it's not in the story.

I did, because it's basically what my original comment was. I was reiterating previous point I already made. it's a nonlinear story.. it's not meant to be in order. Comprehensible is only relevant to your opinion of how "it should be". The story isn't over. Not even close, which is why there are so many holes. And just because a third party puts a nonlinear story into order doesn't make it a fan fiction unless said third party is trying to put their own spin on the events.

that's just absurd and honestly, I couldn't take you serious as a writer in any capacity if you truly believe that.

On 2018-11-15 at 10:29 PM, IntheCoconut said:

I honestly didn't pay attention to the story for the longest time. I just had no idea what was happening. I am caught up finally, and I really enjoy the lore, but if I am being totally honest, 90% of my understanding of the lore/story comes from outside the game because I read the wiki and watched Youtube lore videos.

My problem isn't with Warframe's story, it is with how it is told and how it reveals the story. I am often unable to differentiate whether the game is intentionally being vague to create mystery, or if I feel lost and confused because of something I missed or didn't pay enough attention to. 

I agree. I'm usually overwhelmed by strange combination of words in dialogues and even stranger dialects.

1 час назад, _DapperDanMan_ сказал:

that's just absurd and honestly, I couldn't take you serious as a writer in any capacity if you truly believe that.

Well, every writer creates own rules.
And right now we are looking at WIP. Maybe, for me it's too easy to get all preachy, because at writer's sites you usually look at unfinished work and you have to push the creator in the right direction.

Because when Warframe will be finished and if it'll have same glaring plot issues - it will be a different talk altogether.
Still, people will eat everything up because it's free. I think I don't have to remind you that you should tolerate a bad product only because it's free. Warframe isn't a bad product, of course. But I fear it could be.

Still, things look optimistic. Just when I look at the updates list, I still hope for the best. DE has a heart in the right place, I hope it's not gonna get corrupted (especially, considering the stuff they did in 2016). I wish they will just concentrate on things that they do best and delegate writing story to professionals.

1 час назад, SaiTatter сказал:

I agree. I'm usually overwhelmed by strange combination of words in dialogues and even stranger dialects.

Well, that's part of the charm, isn't it?

Edited by BloodRavenCap

1 minute ago, BloodRavenCap said:

Well, every writer creates own rules.
And right now we are looking at WIP. Maybe, for me it's too easy to get all preachy, because at writer's sites you usually look at unfinished work and you have to push the creator in the right direction.

Because when Warframe will be finished and if it'll have same glaring plot issues - it will be a different talk altogether.
Still, people will eat everything up because it's free. I think I don't have to remind you that you should tolerate a bad product only because it's free. Warframe isn't a bad product, of course. But I fear it could be.

Still, things look optimistic. Just when I look at the updates list, I still hope for the best. DE has a heart in the right place, I hope it's not gonna get corrupted (especially, considering the stuff they did in 2016). I wish they will just concentrate on things that they do best and delegate writing story to professionals.

Well, that's part of the charm, isn't it?

Dunno what to say, I barely understood something from the lore. The only quests I understood were the operator related ones. For instance Chains of Harrow was a big question mark for me.

26 minutes ago, BloodRavenCap said:

But I don't get Fortuna. I get why they created it - to flesh out Corpus, but in the global view of things, it adds nothing to the main plot.

Ok, I think you're right that the flow of things risks being incoherent, but this is where you're going to have to accept that what you want and what the rest of the playerbase wants are not necessarily the same thing. DE is responding to competing demands, and that includes of the lore and story. They currently have stuff in the works to drive forward the main plot, i.e. The New War, but players have been asking for other stuff for ages: What are those towers you can see faraway on the Venus landscape? Why is there snow on Venus? Where are all the civilians in this game? How do people live under the Corpus? Also, note that what you're calling "the main plot" is a fairly recent addition, and for Warframe, practically an obsession with chasing just one story down its track almost every release - some people don't even like that track and want other things fleshed out.