Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

K-Drive with a non gaming keyboard (N-Key Rollover limit reached)

Morgo

After looking some posts on this subforum I realized that some of the issues happening could be cause of the limitations of non gamer keyboards. That would be the N-Key Rollover, or maximum number of keys registered simultaneously

In my case my keyboard has a 3-Key Rollover. That hasn't been a problem with any game until now.

In specific, the k-drive forces to hold down 4 keys at same time: crouch, sprint, forward and jump. Keys you have to hold for getting speed and charge the next jump while grinding in Fortuna. The fact that you have to hold down forward AND sprint to follow the direction of the rail or object you are grinding in is kind of... redundant IMO

I know it's not perfect, but wouldn't be a elegant solution to get fordward momentum when grinding only holding sprint+crouch? In case you want to leave the grind you hold any direction and the k-drive would do that exactly. Right now, only left, right and backwards keys do that function. Forward follows the rail, no matter the direction. 

It would add a new way of controlling the K-drive and also solve the problem of people like me

On a side note. For what I have seen around in this subforum, some tenno complain that they get tricks repetition without doing the input for those. This could because if you hold more keys than you keyboard is able simultaneously, it reapeats the last keystroke before the limit, or worse, it does ghosting and register keys that where never stroke

I wasn't even aware that you can lock to the rail by using forward and sprint while grinding. I just use my mouse-look to keep on trail and it works fine. Grinding the Pearl everyday since release, doing my tricks and hardly ever fall off the rail.

Btw. I don't use sprint while grinding. Grinding alone keeps up the speed. Landing a trick into a grind seems to give a short boost too (at least the accompanying sound suggests it). Btw. is it really the sprint-key or just the same layout? Else I'd exchange trick and boost buttoner (RMB <> Left Shift).

Playing on a standard Cherry keyboard without fancy buttons.

8 minutes ago, Toran said:

I wasn't even aware that you can lock to the rail by using forward and sprint while grinding. I just use my mouse-look to keep on trail and it works fine. Grinding the Pearl everyday since release, doing my tricks and hardly ever fall off the rail.

I just tested it.
If I hold sprint+forward+crouch it doesn't lock me in on the grind. If I look around, I will fall off. So you have to use the mouse-look.

@OP:
Sprinting isn't needed while grinding. So you just have to hold crouch+forward.
If you want to jump, you also have to hold space.

So I see no problem with the K-drive controls.
I assume there is no 2-key-rollover keyboard, because some Windows-commands need you to hold down 3 buttons.

As long as you hold forward and the grind button you move at max grind speed (there is a mod to increase your grind speed as well). Grind speed is separate from your regular one, so you just need 2 buttons and the ocasional space to jump that makes 3 total. My keyboard isn't a gaming one (laptop keyboard) and I'm having no problems.

I don't know however how the PC treats remaping of keys as I have a gaming mouse and mapped one of it's 6 extra buttons as ctrl so I can grind and do tricks with my mouse.

Edited by EDM774

hace 5 horas, Toran dijo:

Grinding alone keeps up the speed

True, the fov effect of sprint trick me. The grinding speed is the same. but if try to jump from pipe to pipe without speed mods just at the back of the elevator in fortuna I can't reach the other pipes unless I don't grind (Cause I can't do the 4 things at the same time for the mentioned problem) but I can reach if I don't grind. So if any of you guys that test it: grind, charge jump and sprint at same time to see if the jump distance is different, would help me a lot. The thing is that I don't know If I can't reach some pipes for the slowdown of grind or the issue is not boosting when the jump is initiated

hace 5 horas, WhiteMarker dijo:

If I hold sprint+forward+crouch it doesn't lock me in on the grind. If I look around, I will fall off. So you have to use the mouse-look.

As long as you don't look far from 30º away from the grind object the game does a grindlook. Of course if you look away 45º from the object, yes, you will stop the lock on.

1 minute ago, Morgo said:

As long as you don't look far from 30º away from the grind object the game does a grindlook. Of course if you look away 45º from the object, yes, you will stop the lock on.

In this case it's by far easier to just use the mouse instead of the sprint-key.

Btw. something just came to my mind.
If you want to bulletjump while sprinting, you have to hold forward+sprint+crouch, and then you have to press space.
So why do you bring that topic up now? This "problem" is already in the game for 4(?) years now. Just wondering.

1 minute ago, Morgo said:

In this case it's by far easier to just use the mouse instead of the sprint-key.

Btw. something just came to my mind.
If you want to bulletjump while sprinting, you have to hold forward+sprint+crouch, and then you have to press space.
So why do you bring that topic up now? This "problem" is already in the game for 4(?) years now. Just wondering.

hace 10 horas, WhiteMarker dijo:

No need to hold neither crouch or jump. Only need to tap crouch and then quickly tapping jump does a bullet jump without any problem.

There's an option to toggle sprint, if you activate it you only need to press sprint once and it remains active. Then you'd only need to use 3 keys (forward+crouch+jump). If you use sprint/run in the same key you need to hold it for an instant and then you can let go of it. I pretty much do it at the beginning of the mission and leave it on most of the time. I think that may solve your problem or at least some discomfort. Good luck! 

Edited by Amhiel

On 2018-11-15 at 11:03 PM, Morgo said:

I know it's not perfect, but wouldn't be a elegant solution to get fordward momentum when grinding only holding sprint+crouch?

As long as it's only while grinding, I'd be okay with that. If sprint mode kept K-Drives going automatically like the current (bad) Archwing movement, that would be horrible for me.

But really, I don't think you should have to press any keys other than Crouch to continue grinding. I feel like as soon as you've landed on a rail and started to grind it, you should be 100% locked to that rail until you release the Crouch button, the rail ends, or you hit an obstacle. You should also be able to turn the camera around without falling off the rail.