Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The second Nyx deluxe skin

Crewell

Talk to the players still waiting for Zephyr deluxe. There's just about no correlation between showing off concept art and when it actually makes it into the game, let alone it even making it into the game (flashback to original Ember deluxe concept)

31 minutes ago, Atsia said:

Talk to the players still waiting for Zephyr deluxe. There's just about no correlation between showing off concept art and when it actually makes it into the game, let alone it even making it into the game (flashback to original Ember deluxe concept)

From what I recall, the artist that was working on that is no longer with DE.

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

From what I recall, the artist that was working on that is no longer with DE.

1 hour ago, hellodownthere said:

i thought that the artist for that only does it in his/her spare time as a passion project

Yeah, I know that was the case for Ember, the artist and DE has an artistic disagreement, and thus we got what we have, which I'm personally fine with. Though that does give credence to them just dropping a new deluxe without showing it off, Irkalia and Ramses the other two examples.

8 hours ago, Atsia said:

Yeah, I know that was the case for Ember, the artist and DE has an artistic disagreement, and thus we got what we have, which I'm personally fine with. Though that does give credence to them just dropping a new deluxe without showing it off, Irkalia and Ramses the other two examples.

Ignus and the art team did have a disagreement of sorts, but the Zephyr Deluxe was a passion project of a single DE artist. Perhaps Michael Brennan (Mynki), the former art director? At least elements of the piece seem to have popped up in other works since.

11 hours ago, Atsia said:

I'm not trying to say other deluxe skins should wait. I was only asking because it's been some time since it was shown off.

37 minutes ago, Crewell said:

I'm not trying to say other deluxe skins should wait. I was only asking because it's been some time since it was shown off.

I understand that, I was just pointing out that them showing off assert doesn't real mean anything until the confirm it's gonna be in the game, Zephyr being the prime example having a denizen showed of like 2 years ago, but nothing has been said since then.

11 hours ago, Atsia said:

35 minutes ago, Crewell said:

Three. Years.

First time we saw concepts was January 22nd 2016, with the work being started on that in (wait for it...) November 2015 in order for the first finished concept.

But.

Remember, the art department there is not very large, it has been heavily taxed by Fortuna with hundreds of thousands of projects that needed to be done to bring out an entirely new thing. The concept for Nyx was shown off at Tennocon, true, but it was probably come up with by their concept artists months and months before that, before the slog for Fortuna began.

Until now, after it's all done, there has been no priority on 90% of any Deluxe Skins at all. So if I were you, I'd be looking forward to the early next year for that skin, Nyx is popular and her Proto skin really is forgettable.

Nyx Deluxe is coming. You just have to put up with one or two more DevStreams of Fortuna stuff. Plus they're releasing a new Prime in... what... three weeks? (Predicted to be Mesa, who the art department is going to have to do something special with, because her Deluxe was so good already...)

But on the topic of Zephyr... I had to spoiler the rant to make sure I don't bore people.

Spoiler

The last we heard about it was last year. And even then it was just a 'we're still working on it'. The problem is that it's a 'passion project' by one of their designers who is a really big fan of Zephyr. Why is that a problem? For a base; I work in a professional print design capacity, it's a very small department in the business I work in right now, which I prefer because it means the team is very streamlined and people know exactly what each others' strengths are. In the past, though, I've worked in much, much larger departments. Over the last fourteen years of full-time professional design, what I've seen is this exact situation, again and again, to the point where I literally changed jobs to the smaller place so that I could avoid having to deal with them.

If you give a project to somebody to do 'in their spare time', which is an exact quote from DE on the topic of Zephyr, then it doesn't get done. That is the big problem I'm pointing out.

It doesn't get done because spare time exists only when there are no other projects on. Any creative department worth its time ensures that there are always projects, that all members are contributing to something, and that team members are even rotated to ensure that at least one other pair of eyes has looked over every project started so that there's less room for error and more collaboration. This means that 'in their spare time' becomes literally 'in their overtime'. And this is where it becomes more of a Catch 22, because if you're willing to work overtime to get something non-critical done, then you should be willing to work overtime to get the critical thing done. When you fill up the time with regularly scheduled projects, then there is no spare time.

Zephyr Deluxe, if it's going to get done, needs one of two things: The first, and quickest, way to get it done is to schedule it up as a regular task, but give our man, the one with the passion, creative control over it for that limited capacity. The second, slower, but likely better for the end project way is to allot the single person with a dedicated time in which to focus on that project per week, meaning that they must spend a minimum amount of hours on it or have a dedicated time slot where they can excuse themselves from the usual rush and then focus.

If not... Zephyr Deluxe will remain permanently on the back-burner. Until it blackens and boils dry.

See, there are people out here with Feelings about this topic.

On 2018-11-16 at 12:07 PM, Astralgen said:

it will probably be released with her rework

That would be sweet. I know that is a trend with quite a few deluxe skins. I just want a Nyx skin that makes me a bit fascinated. Nemesis is okay but just not jaw dropping to me.

On 2018-11-16 at 12:34 PM, Thaylien said:

give our man, the one with the passion

I don't know how accurate it is, but there was a post recently on the forums where someone said the guy doing the Zephyr Deluxe as his passion project is no longer with DE, which caused the hold up.

As far as the 2nd Nyx deluxe, as one of my top 5 frames, I am very excited for that one! But since Limbo still doesn't have a good skin, I'm more excited for his deluxe. Hehe

On 2018-11-16 at 2:22 AM, Atsia said:

Those two skins are great though. They were pleasant surprises. 

Nova Deluxe is probably the most horrendous abomination I've ever laid eyes on regarding deluxe skins. I don't even think it shown off, but if it did, where was the outrage? 

1 hour ago, Thaylien said:

The first I heard of it is on this thread, so I'm even less sure.

It was questioned and discussed in a free previous threads on both the forums and reddit a few times. The Zephyr Deluxe as far as we knew was a side passion project by the then art director, but someone else could have picked it up since. It has been quite a bit since it was first teased, Devstream 67 I believe. If the posts are still archived, there should be mentions of concern about the Zephyr Deluxe with Mynki leaving and in the Farewell to Mynki thread and the related Reddit equivalents. That said, perhaps asking Michael Brennan himself on twitter might work better?

2 hours ago, Urlan said:

It has been quite a bit since it was first teased, Devstream 67 I believe.

Quite a bit... Yeesh, the announcement was back on January 22nd 2016 with a 3D render on stream, with the concept work beginning in November 2015. It's been three whole years since the project started, and the last time we heard any official mention of even DE saying they were still working on it was... 2017.

I've been playing Zephyr since I started this second account... it's been a loooong wait.

2 hours ago, Thaylien said:

Quite a bit... Yeesh, the announcement was back on January 22nd 2016 with a 3D render on stream, with the concept work beginning in November 2015. It's been three whole years since the project started, and the last time we heard any official mention of even DE saying they were still working on it was... 2017.

I've been playing Zephyr since I started this second account... it's been a loooong wait.

Either way, if its that one finished or a new blinged out concept, I hope it works out.