Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Re-Designing The Enemy] - Deadly New Mechanics/Concepts [vol.1]

Devaldus

Since the Tenno are regularly receiving new & exciting weapons of destruction, I believe it would only be fair to introduce a new type of enemy for each respective enemy faction in the game as well with their own unique & deadly mechanics

In my humble opinion - the enemies in Warframe are quite predictable and kind of ...bland (?).
These concepts (I believe) are well thought out and are designed in accordance with the rhythm & pace of the game and also considers ease/hardship of design & implementation for the game's current Engine. They are also much more threatening to players and work towards the goal of keeping the player engaged & sharp while doing higher level missions.

(NOTE: IF YOU ARE AN ARTIST AND FIND ANY OF THESE CONCEPTS INTERESTING, FEEL FREE TO DRAW OUT AN INSPIRED ARTWORK FOR WHICHEVER OF YOUR CHOOSING, THANK YOU SO MUCH!)

Concept I. Eraser Drone

Faction: Corpus
 Unit Type: Flying
 Function: Forces the player to relocate from favorable positions; opens player up to damage for other Corpus units.

Special Ability

HACK WARFRAME - After a brief, short range targeting period from the sky - charges towards & latches onto a Warframe's face/helmet and proceeds to hack it out of the player's control. If not removed by 2-3 slide maneuvers by the player in time it will set off a Corpus-Based hacking sequence for the player to complete in order to take back control of their Warframe, they meanwhile are exposed to enemy fire.

•     Player is unable to move his Warframe until regaining control by completing the hack. Warframe & all of it's active abilities are instantly disabled.
  •     Hacking sequence difficulty is based on enemy Eraser Drone's level.
  •     Player loses all shields and 30% of their remaining health if they fail to complete the hacking sequence in time.
  •     Ciphers do not work for Eraser Drone hacking sequences.
  •     Other players can shoot the Eraser Drone off of their party member's face to save them.
  •     Sentinels/Companions/Pets can also remove the Eraser Drone from the Warframe's face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept II. Phase Trooper

Unit Type: Ground / Melee
 Function: Deals regular consistent damage to the player at melee range; forces player to relocate in order to counter; hard to kill.

Special Ability

PHASE TECHNOLOGY - After a short activation animation, grants the unit Overshields equal to 100% of it's current Shield amount and sends out a Phased duplicate of itself to attack any players in a 50 yrd. range around it. Phased duplicate is immune to all damage & CC effects.

• The original unit is immobile in place and unable to attack while Phase Technology is active.
  • Shooting or damaging the duplicate highlights the Original enemy unit for all players (can be seen through walls as well.)
  • CC-ing the original unit does not disable Phase Technology.
  • Killing the original unit destroys the duplicate as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept III. Blood Sprayer

Faction: Infested
 Unit Type: Ground / Ranged
 Function: Forces player to mind their targets & kills; Incentivizes smart targetting; punishes AoE spamming.

Special Ability

BLOOD TRANSFUSION - Passively regenerates the health of nearby Infested units & grants them 10% damage reduction (stackable with other Blood Sprayer units).

ON DEATH: Explodes into a gory, bloody mess  - empowering all nearby Infested units, granting them +30% damage bonus / +30% bonus damage reduction / +30% movement speed.

• Shooting the Blood Sprayer makes it bleed and send out healing waves to other nearby Infested units.
  • CC-ing the Blood Sprayer does not disable it's regenerative passive ability.
  • Shooting the Blood Sprayer directly in it's "Blood Sacks" makes it die quicker and causes no explosion.

Concept IV. Predator

Faction: Grineer
 Function: Forces player to actively dodge predictable projectiles; Locks players down or punishes them for excessive movement.

Special Ability

ADAPTIVE BOLA - After a short animation, tosses a slow-moving Bola following a predictable line pattern at the player. If hit, latches onto the player for 4 seconds. Player receives 5% of their maximum life as damage while moving with the Bola attached. Player takes no damage if stationary while the Bola is attached, instead the damage is dealt to all nearby Players, Pets, Companions & Sentinels in a 50 yrd. radius around them.

• Bola can be shot & removed by other players from the victim.
  • Pets & Companions can also shoot and remove the Bola from the victim.
  • Player cannot remove the Bola via slide maneuver.

Edited by Devaldus

Yes yes yes yes and yes! Id like to take some of these enemies on 🙂

also i need an enemy that requires me to damage it in order to open up to a finisher which is the only way to kill it. Not as challenging as your ideas but maybe it could be added to them like the predator enemy. I just want it so i can feel like a bad*** when i take it down 😎

review time;

Concept 1; for balancing purposes this needs to be as rare as bursas as this completely prevents the player from doing anything and forces their attention and control away from the battle if they get hit. I know that's the point but people will complain to no end if this becomes a thing. A suggestion to fix this is that you are forced into operator mode when captured or at least give us a short duration to use operator mode to get out before being hacked and kill the drone.

Concept 2; personally i have no problem with this; maybe include some form of notification sound that plays as well to help players know that there is a phase original nearby.

Concept 3; get ridden of the damage reduction because that's the ancient healers job and adding another that STACKS will mean all enemies take NO damage. Otherwise sounds interesting.

Concept 4; the player should never take % damage, make it something like 50 impact damage every meter you walk or better yet a movement reduction; which makes more sense than damage as it's suppose to prevent the player from moving. Further, needs balancing; such as a player can only ever have 1 bola on that at any time and all other predators will wait a minimum of 5s after getting out before throwing again. Because, although you want to make players more aware; when you're surrounded by over 20 enemies from ALL directions it's near impossible to quickly identify a flying object heading towards you.

Overall, the ideas are alright but need some work. Remember, making the game harder and require more attention is fine and all but you need to make sure it isn't annoying or overall unfair to the player, i.e. everyone hates ancients and scorpions because of their grappling hook as it can't be dodged except by rolling which most of the time you can't do because you aren't given enough time to dodge as the wind ups are really short and they can still grapple hook you even when CC'ed (or CC'ed during the animation/wind back).

5mYdUC9.png

CPiDofy.jpg

Also I think a cool idea for this guy is that he will force the operator out of the warframe, also making the warframe vulnerable to attacks and paralyzed, but the operator would be able to shoot the drone to free the warframe. I think this idea is more friendly to people who like to play solo since they won't have anyone to shoot the drone for them, and let's be honest; doing a whole hack while in a high-level mission with a bunch of enemies, is pretty much a death sentence. But overall great concept!

Edited by (PS4)BestinClassXP

On 2018-11-16 at 9:34 AM, Devaldus said:

Since the Tenno are regularly receiving new & exciting weapons of destruction, I believe it would only be fair to introduce a new type of enemy for each respective enemy faction in the game as well with their own unique & deadly mechanics

In my humble opinion - the enemies in Warframe are quite predictable and kind of ...bland (?).
These concepts (I believe) are well thought out and are designed in accordance with the rhythm & pace of the game and also considers ease/hardship of design & implementation for the game's current Engine. They are also much more threatening to players and work towards the goal of keeping the player engaged & sharp while doing higher level missions.

(NOTE: IF YOU ARE AN ARTIST AND FIND ANY OF THESE CONCEPTS INTERESTING, FEEL FREE TO DRAW OUT AN INSPIRED ARTWORK FOR WHICHEVER OF YOUR CHOOSING, THANK YOU SO MUCH!)

Concept I. Eraser Drone

Unit Type: Flying
 Function: Forces the player to relocate from favorable positions; opens player up to damage for other Corpus units.

Special Ability

HACK WARFRAME - After a brief, short range targeting period from the sky - charges towards & latches onto a Warframe's face/helmet and proceeds to hack it out of the player's control. If not removed by 2-3 slide maneuvers by the player in time it will set off a Corpus-Based hacking sequence for the player to complete in order to take back control of their Warframe, they meanwhile are exposed to enemy fire.

•     Player is unable to move his Warframe until regaining control by completing the hack. Warframe & all of it's active abilities are instantly disabled.
  •     Hacking sequence difficulty is based on enemy Eraser Drone's level.
  •     Player loses all shields and 30% of their remaining health if they fail to complete the hacking sequence in time.
  •     Ciphers do not work for Eraser Drone hacking sequences.
  •     Other players can shoot the Eraser Drone off of their party member's face to save them.
  •     Sentinels/Companions/Pets can also remove the Eraser Drone from the Warframe's face.

Concept II. Phase Trooper

Unit Type: Ground / Melee
 Function: Deals regular consistent damage to the player at melee range; forces player to relocate in order to counter; hard to kill.

Special Ability

PHASE TECHNOLOGY - After a short activation animation, grants the unit Overshields equal to 100% of it's current Shield amount and sends out a Phased duplicate of itself to attack any players in a 50 yrd. range around it. Phased duplicate is immune to all damage & CC effects.

• The original unit is immobile in place and unable to attack while Phase Technology is active.
  • Shooting or damaging the duplicate highlights the Original enemy unit for all players (can be seen through walls as well.)
  • CC-ing the original unit does not disable Phase Technology.
  • Killing the original unit destroys the duplicate as well.

Concept III. Blood Sprayer

Faction: Infested
 Function: Forces player to mind their targets & kills; Incentivizes smart targetting; punishes AoE spamming.

Special Ability

BLOOD TRANSFUSION - Passively regenerates the health of nearby Infested units & grants them 10% damage reduction (stackable with other Blood Sprayer units).

ON DEATH: Explodes into a gory, bloody mess  - empowering all nearby Infested units, granting them +30% damage bonus / +30% bonus damage reduction / +30% movement speed.

• Shooting the Blood Sprayer makes it bleed and send out healing waves to other nearby Infested units.
  • CC-ing the Blood Sprayer does not disable it's regenerative passive ability.
  • Shooting the Blood Sprayer directly in it's "Blood Sacks" makes it die quicker and causes no explosion.

Concept IV. Predator

Faction: Grineer
 Function: Forces player to actively dodge predictable projectiles; Locks players down or punishes them for excessive movement.

Special Ability

ADAPTIVE BOLA - After a short animation, tosses a slow-moving Bola following a predictable line pattern at the player. If hit, latches onto the player for 4 seconds. Player receives 5% of their maximum life as damage while moving with the Bola attached. Player takes no damage if stationary while the Bola is attached, instead the damage is dealt to all nearby Players, Pets, Companions & Sentinels in a 50 yrd. radius around them.

• Bola can be shot & removed by other players from the victim.
  • Pets & Companions can also shoot and remove the Bola from the victim.
  • Player cannot remove the Bola via slide maneuver.

ok last one

1lFS55H.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed the sketches i made for your awesome concepts!

Edited by (PS4)BestinClassXP

On 2018-11-17 at 11:14 PM, (PS4)BestinClassXP said:

5mYdUC9.png

CPiDofy.jpg

Also I think a cool idea for this guy is that he will force the operator out of the warframe, also making the warframe vulnerable to attacks and paralyzed, but the operator would be able to shoot the drone to free the warframe. I think this idea is more friendly to people who like to play solo since they won't have anyone to shoot the drone for them, and let's be honest; doing a whole hack while in a high-level mission with a bunch of enemies, is pretty much a death sentence. But overall great concept!

Lol!

I thought all of these were really sweet.

Thank you for your effort! Ahahaha

P.S Great idea!

On 2018-11-17 at 12:17 AM, (XB1)Nightseid said:

These are interesting, and I would like to see these incorporated. 

Are these 1v1 type of enemies or these enemies to be encountered during swarms?

Personally I would like to have more mini-boss / 1v1 enemies.

Most likely encountered during swarms but I guess in few numbers and in higher rarity?

I think that'd be fair, but not sure honestly.