Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe´s tutorial missions are a huge demotivation

rockscl

I just pulled a friend into warframe, convinced him to give it a try, first he was stuck at some tutorial mission that cant be played in a squad, okay, he went across it explicitly bored and suffering it, he said that the game was stupidly easy and that he had tried enough of warframe and that it sucked every bit.

So i convinced him to try one last mission. i managed to taxi his bored ass over to void extermination with lvl 10 enemies, i managed to put him into a mission where he could get killed and showed him how to parkour, and we searched for secret rooms for about 40 minutes in a single mission, he said it was cool and now he was motivated to play, so next i decided to show him the soul of warframe, i taxied his not so bored ass to apollodorus which he enjoyed a lot for 15 minutes until he couldnt survive anymore so we extracted.

Then i ATTEMPTED to play my winning card, i tried to taxi his ass over to the Plains of Eidolons, show him the fishing and minning system, the night giat bosses, but at the transitioning door the game disbanded our squad telling him that he could not enter the Plains before finishing Vor´s Prize.

He, again, suffered the tutorial, about 5 missions? he didnt learn anything from it, i had to explain to him the whole weapon switchig with F key, channeling, the mods system, the foundry, the whole arsenal to him, the market, he had learned NOTHING from the tutorial, and he suffered it every bit.

Finally we were free to enter PoE, he liked it, he wanted to do the fishing, he wanted to start building something in the foundry, and he really wanted to try another weapon, so i tried to gift him a syndicate pistol and here the mess returned in his face, he needed to attain rank 2.

I taxied his ass over to Eris defense, we got him ready to rank 2 in about 20 minutes, and thats where his motivation went down the trash can:

He started the rank 2 test, and during it, the red text showed up, the hotfix applied and left him stuck at the end of the test with a message of being unable to upload his account status to the server, after about half a minute, he received a message about the rank text being successful, and then he gets back to the orbiter and the test was actually failed in the server side, he was stuck for 23.59 hours, unable to take the test and receive the gun i wanted to give him.

Next day he says he has had enough of warframe.

So, ther you go, good job at making a great demotivational system lollololo.

My advice to you is:

1.- Do not lock anything behind the Vor´s Prize.

2.- Make the Vor´s prize an optional quest line.

3.- Remove the 24 hours timer for the first rank tests, make it 1 hour per current rank level.

3.- Put an explanation button in every terminal of the ship, and in there just put a few lines of text explaining what do you do in that terminal.

20 minutes ago, rockscl said:

he didnt learn anything from it, i had to explain to him the whole weapon switchig with F key, channeling, the mods system, the foundry, the whole arsenal to him, the market, he had learned NOTHING from the tutorial

reminds of this

XH2RzhP.png

The "Tutorial" is indeed mundane but at least the easy parts are explained

yeah a lot of my friends/recruits left before they could advance in any way because not of the tutorial but the 24hrs wait to do your test over, even if the game glitched out or hotfixed when youre doing it.

the whole 24 hrs wait is so backwards and silly and totally not needed, its not like youre gonna be overpowered. the only things that having a decent level of mastery (8-12) is for access to a relay and a couple of weapons and riven mods, all of which is only there to further deflate a persons interest should they want to go further or get to know the game more.

if it isn't for players in chat most of the times I've seen these  situations arise and questions asked been answered by (vets) this game would be in a much bigger DECLINE than it is in now. and from the looks of recent chatter a lot of players are fed up with the direction and dumbing down of the game.

Basically, allow people to really never learn the game and somehow they'll like it more?

25 minutes ago, rockscl said:

3.- Put an explanation button in every terminal of the ship, and in there just put a few lines of text explaining what do you do in that terminal.

How would this have helped your friend who seemed to actively reject the tutorial?

Maybe this is all down to your friend not being all that interested in the game, something nothing DE could do would fix, and you being a terrible person to have shown him the game.

On 2018-11-16 at 9:28 AM, peterc3 said:

Maybe? this is all down to your frien?d not being all that interested in the ga?me, something nothing DE could do would fix, and you being a terrible person to have shown him the game.?

The points are valid. Putting people behind play walls is not a good idea. Mastery ranking tests are kinda fun but their mechanics are quite disjoint from most game play. I know people who are fantastic gamers. Persistent gamers and the tests are fine, but

mastery ranking killed the game for them. They hate grinding rank with weapons that feel stupid bad. The elements of the game, the mods donÂ’t have a good thread leading players to learn their value or find their locations. Players are not led to the codex and its info about them. At least DE could put info or links into coded into junction displays. Players are not really led through the damage system much.

With most games, the crap gear you get on the way to higher level at least works incrementally better. Warframe weapons are currently all over the map (which DE seems to be addressing).

DE misses a lot of opportunity drawing newer players because of the rubble of content neophytes must grind thru with little coherent story line.. just endless repetitive missions.

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

On 2018-11-16 at 5:00 PM, rockscl said:

he? went across it explicitly bored and suffering it, he said that the game ?was stupidly easy and that he had tried enough of warframe and that it sucked every bit.?

He sounds like the sort of person who doesn't complete a 20 mins tutorial and then moans that the tutorial was easy. Maybe he should go play CoD or some other instant-twitch-reaction multiplayer? I don't think he's going to enjoy Warframe.

On 2018-11-16 at 5:00 PM, rockscl said:

My advice to you is:

1.- Do not lock anything behind the Vor´s Prize.

2.- Make the Vor´s prize an optional quest line.

3.- Remove the 24 hours timer for the first rank tests, make it 1 hour per current rank level.

3.- Put an explanation button in every terminal of the ship, and in there just put a few lines of text explaining what do you do in that terminal???????

1 and 2 are the tutorial, maybe an hour for a game with hundreds of mechanics to learn. If they could be taxied past that then they just end up out levelled by everything with no way to get the starter (damaged) mods.

3 seems reasonable - maybe allow 1 hour between tests 1-5. That might be a little inconsistent though and in a game that you can play hundreds of days and still only be MR20 one test a day isn't really an issue.

3 (again) yes, there needs to be a lot more explanation of parts of your ship, especially how the market works as in most FtP games that is where you pay to win, but in Warframe it's also where you spend earned in-game cash to level up.

However, you start with all the other parts disabled and you earn them through Vor's Prize quest, so most are adequately explained if you don't just try to skip it.

Sounds like your friend suffers from chronic negativity and, left untreated, may reach a point where he will never have a happy moment in his life.

I thought the Vor's Prize quest was enjoyable and interesting.  I've been loving Warframe, it's combat, gameplay, and controls, ever since.