Warframe choice dilemma

Viralvalis

Question

Greetings fellow Tenno!

I've been struggling lately to finally pick a frame that I really want to invest time into and now I'm hoping some input might help me decide. Here is my situation..

I've been playing the game casually for about half a year now however managed to get a couple of friends to play lately aswell. They like the game and we formed our own clan however when it comes to team-building etc i find myself annoyingly confused.. 

Our current setup is: Valkyr, Mesa and Nekros. I personally prefer tank or cc frames like Inaros, Nidus, Frost or Chroma however I just cant decide. I like to play melee, rush into enemy lines and cause some havoc but i also want to bring utility for my peers. Were not going to go 2h endurance runs but sorties etc should be easily viable..

My question:

Out of the tankier frames, which would you recommend as a useful addition to a party while being able to still hold its own if everything goes south? 

Thank you for your time and input! I greatly Appreciate it!

10 answers to this question

definitely oberon. Tanky, CC, heal, armor strip and even death prevention with augment. Damn that goat brings alot to the table

Edit: I forgot about nezha. Tank with CC and damage modifier. That boi can give health and energy orbs too.

Edited by kingvaldemir

Inaros is a fantastically versatile tank and healer with a wide variety of ways to control mobs, heal enemies, and with the augment for his 4, shrug off status effects. Just don't forget to cast your 4 as a room full of affected enemies will both greatly reduce incoming damage and heal your team simultaneously. His main weakness is a lack of team damage amplification.

Chroma is a powerful buffer and tough in his own right, but can struggle to regain control of a situation if a large amount of CC is required.

Frost is a strong CC'er and great at protecting static objectives, but can be a bit clunky if he needs to move around a lot.

Nidus is a great one-frame-army, able to provide useful emergency CC, great area holding ability as well as on-the-spot power strength buffs while possessing a high degree of survivability. He just needs to get fed, first, which hurts him a bit in shorter/non-endless mission types.

[EDIT]

As kingvaldemir above points out, Nezha and Oberon are also pretty great picks here.

Edited by TheGrimCorsair

• Oberon for healing and CC.
  • Rhino for buffs and damage.
  • Frost for overwhole defense.
  • Nidus for CC mainly and some healing. Best used in long term missions, you can feel him struggle in short missions.
  • Nekros can be tanky if modded right. Usfull for looting.
  • Nezha in my eye is decent for CC and energy replanish. The tricky part is to stay with your team and try to not run alone because it's tempting to go on your own. Nezha is a fast frame and it's not easy to stay put for a few more seconds.
  • Saryn is kind of in the middle for both. She is not as tanky but she have a great personal emergency ability with healing if you add an augment. She is mainly good for DPS and armor stripping, if you count that as team friendly so it's a good investment.
  • Inaros. I personally don't like playing Inaros, but you can't argue that he isn't good for CC and healing. I still like one on my team.
  • Revenant can be really helpfull as long as you let him do his thing. It's really easy to not help him and even make his life harder. Just don't kill his thralls if you want him to be helpfull. If you play as Revenant and people kill your thralls, you can always ask them to stop killing them. People will argue that Enthrall is bad, but I think it's a good CC ability because they take enemies attention from you and your team.
  • Garuda so far gave me the impression of a powerfull debuffer and an OK healer. Her ability to take damage is in question as I only played her for the first time today and yet to reach even rank 20... Seems like a good energy tank if you add Quick Thinking, she also have high amount of base armor at 300.

My biggest recommandation is Oberon. Easy to get, have good durability, powerful healing ability, CC, can prevent status effects, he got almost everything. The only way to screw up with him is with timing. He isn't knicknamed "Broberon" for nothing. He can even replace both Trinity and Harrow combined for eidolon hunting if you are really good with him and know what you're doing.

Edited by FrostedMike
Added more about Oberon

First of all thank you for those fast replies i absolutely didn't excpect that. A few more thoughts though: 

Concerning Nidus I agree he's a wonderful frame but what some love (aka his synergy and how well his skills work) to me at least at the moment makes him unattractive. As i said i like to go melee and use the weapons i have and Nidus somehow makes it all pointless because i need those stacks.

Oberon has been on my mind too but since were all kind of new (or noobish if you will) i can rarely manage to keep my ppl "on my lawn". So i thought he might not be as useful as some of the other frames because of his limited area..

Chroma just tickles my fashion frame senses really hard i guess..

May i ask you opinions on these matters?

Thank you in advance 🙂

If Trinity link builds still work that might be worth a look. She might not be the first thing you think of when talking about tanks / tanky frames, but we all have our hidden talents.

Edit: Oh right, Trinity doesn't really cause havoc and is more of a tank tank. You know the type to eat damage for others.

Edited by Leyvonne

22 minutes ago, Viralvalis said:

Oberon has been on my mind too but since were all kind of new (or noobish if you will) i can rarely manage to keep my ppl "on my lawn".
So i thought he might not be as useful as some of the other frames because of his limited area..

You can run a high Range build, that should make your (360 degrees of) Hallowed Ground not seem very limited at all 😛 

Also, in case you thought otherwise, once you've tagged an ally with Renewal (and Hallowed Ground for Iron Renewal),
they can move kilometers away from you and still retain the buff(s), no prob.
At that point, all HG does is provide Status immunity, which can certainly be nice but isn't as big of a concern.

FWIW, my build:

Corrosive Projection, Enemy Sense
Umbral Intensify, Transient Fortitude
Stretch, Overextended
Streamline, R4 Fleeting Expertise
Primed Continuity, Umbral Vitality

Perma-Renewal throughout the whole mission is just very comfortable,
and while many seem to swear by it, I've found that Hunter Adrenaline
isn't really necessary for that / can be quite annoying to rely on.

High Range and Efficiency also let you spam your mass damage / CC / debuff pwnage,
plus of course make it easier to (re)apply your Squad buffs, yay.

Edited by NinjaZeku

9 hours ago, Viralvalis said:

First of all thank you for those fast replies i absolutely didn't excpect that. A few more thoughts though: 

Concerning Nidus I agree he's a wonderful frame but what some love (aka his synergy and how well his skills work) to me at least at the moment makes him unattractive. As i said i like to go melee and use the weapons i have and Nidus somehow makes it all pointless because i need those stacks.

Oberon has been on my mind too but since were all kind of new (or noobish if you will) i can rarely manage to keep my ppl "on my lawn". So i thought he might not be as useful as some of the other frames because of his limited area..

Chroma just tickles my fashion frame senses really hard i guess..

May i ask you opinions on these matters?

Thank you in advance 🙂

You all being new players is fine. Dealing with situations, knowing what each warframe is doing and making use of all squad members is part of learning the game. You have no idea how usful it is to know what your friend is capable of, and him knowing what you can do. Knowing how can he help you and you help him, this is the basics of making a good squad.

Lets say you play Oberon as many of us recommanded. Keeping players on your Hallowed Ground is not an issue when they know what it means to be on it. I think your problem is from communication between you all and the lack of knowing what each warframe does. If one of you need healing, you don't wait for him to tell you he need, you go there and heal. You also don't have to keep your team on Hallowed Ground, you can use it against enemies. Want them to get on your HG to remove status effects? Bring the ground to them and don't make them come to you. You also don't need to use it all the time, it's a good defensive ability, but not for pushing forward.
If your team is running forward together, it's you who need to keep up with them and not them stay with you. If they scatter around and not running together, it's their problem if they fall because staying together is what will keep you all alive. In every game I know, the support's job is to keep up with the team and help them push forward, and it's their job to keep the support alive. Warframe is no exeption even if the support is capable to hold for himself.

Again thank you for all the replies 🙂 I'm going to go ahead and give Oberon a proper Shot now 😄

up to this point i've always been the damage dealer in online games so its a change of pace for me aswell. Concerning damage however, if I may ask the questio, what are your experiences for melee-frames? One of our crew just aquired Trin and he used to be our main Healer in FFXIV so i guess he feels right at home which might replace Valkyr with Trinity 😅 

I really appreciate all of your input and it's actually quite motivating 😄