Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laptop Running Warframe Slower than Usual.

Yunchie

Question

CPU: i7 6700 HQ

GPU: GTX GeForce 960m

The laptop I've been using as of late has been slowing down after less than 8 months, it used to run Warframe at 80-90 fps in mission at high settings, but now seldom reaches 55fps. The FPS usually is in the 30-40s. I've cleaned out my laptop and ran malware checks, and nothing changed. Any tips?

12 answers to this question

Warframe has received a ton of graphical improvements during the last 8 months, its only normal that your machine is getting outdated. Keep your game cache optimized and lower your settings, nothing more than you can do(beside upgrading your hardware).

Edited by scourge213

do you have anything other than Warframe to also use as a comparison?
how hot are the major components running when playing Warframe/other games?

are you comparing the same Gamemodes/Multiplayer settings together? (i.e. Hosts have lower performance than Clients, Gamemodes that generate larger Level Seeds perform worse than ones that generate smaller, Et Cetera)
are you sure your Video Settings are the same as they were? for example Film Grain was added with Venus, and is enabled by default (Film Grain is a very cheap effect, just for example not that it would be an explanation).

24 minutes ago, scourge213 said:

its only normal that your machine is getting outdated.

that is a ridiculous statement - if you have no idea what to say, don't say anything.

24 minutes ago, taiiat said:

that is a ridiculous statement - if you have no idea what to say, don't say anything.

Now now, lets not get rude, because i could say the same. The particle system rework alone, even if you kept your settings as they were, would have delivered at minimum 2-3 fps drop for a 2014 M video card. Your hardware is getting outdated, regardless if you like it or not.

Edited by scourge213

1 hour ago, scourge213 said:

Warframe has received a ton of graphical improvements during the last 8 months, its only normal that your machine is getting outdated. Keep your game cache optimized and lower your settings, nothing more than you can do(beside upgrading your hardware).

The thing is I have only had it for 8 months, and that is definitely not enough for a PC to become outdated, especially for a card to go from over running the game to under running. Warframe hasn't changed significantly, I was able to run Ludicrous particles still at the same FPS, so I don't see what is the problem

Just now, Yunchie said:

The thing is I have only had it for 8 months, and that is definitely not enough for a PC to become outdated, especially for a card to go from over running the game to under running. Warframe hasn't changed significantly, I was able to run Ludicrous particles still at the same FPS, so I don't see what is the problem

May I ask what video driver you're using, or if you're able to monitor your Laptop's CPU or GPU temp to see if Thermal Throttling is occuring?

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

do you have anything other than Warframe to also use as a comparison?
how hot are the major components running when playing Warframe/other games?

I feel like most if not all my games are slowing down such as Overwatch and Path of Exile. I've checked for thermal throttling and I've cleaned the fans out to be safe. Yet nothing was improved, and yes I have even lowered my settings since March of this year.

1 minute ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

May I ask what video driver you're using, or if you're able to monitor your Laptop's CPU or GPU temp to see if Thermal Throttling is occuring?

Thermal Throttling hasn't occurred according to Intel XTU and MSI afterburner, cleaned my fans as well to make sure. I'm using the GTX 960m as my primary graphics, and the display adapter is the Intel HD 530.

2 minutes ago, Yunchie said:

Thermal Throttling hasn't occurred according to Intel XTU and MSI afterburner, cleaned my fans as well to make sure. I'm using the GTX 960m as my primary graphics, and the display adapter is the Intel HD 530.

Is your average fps always that low nowadays or only after playing games for a bit do you see those ranges?

13 minutes ago, Yunchie said:

It is always that low, from when I start the game.

Just to humor me, can you try disabling your integrated graphics from Device Manager in the Control Panel? (It's easy to undo after testing.)
I'm curious if your applications are choosing to run on your integrated graphics instead of your dedicated chip.

It's an issue I ran into on my old GTX 770m gaming laptop a few times. It can be especially likely on a laptop (because all laptops have a single monitor and some possess two display adapters (an integrated, and dedicated) outputting to that very same monitor. Sometimes they can conflict and integrated chipsets can take display priority).

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

39 minutes ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

Just to humor me, can you try disabling your integrated graphics from Device Manager in the Control Panel? (It's easy to undo after testing.)
I'm curious if your applications are choosing to run on your integrated graphics instead of your dedicated chip.

It's an issue I ran into on my old GTX 770m gaming laptop a few times. It can be especially likely on a laptop (because all laptops have a single monitor and some possess two display adapters (an integrated, and dedicated) outputting to that very same monitor. Sometimes they can conflict and integrated chipsets can take display priority).

Hmm I haven't thought of doing that. Maybe just maybe this will work. 

Update: Did not work unfortunately, infact the game became unplayable when disabling the Intel HD 530.

Edited by Yunchie

if using the wrong GPU is suspected, having the dedicated GPU be selected and forced to be used would achieve the same or better result (i don't have memory of what will happen by software disabling the iGPU on a Notebook - best case is it doesn't let you, worst case is you lose Video output because Notebooks with multiple GPU's rely on the iGPU to do the actual drawing to the Display).

though, a 960m would expect somewhere in the area of triple to quadruple the performance of HD530 - so i'm not quite sold on that being the explanation.

1 hour ago, Yunchie said:

I feel like most if not all my games are slowing down such as Overwatch and Path of Exile. I've checked for thermal throttling and I've cleaned the fans out to be safe. Yet nothing was improved, and yes I have even lowered my settings since March of this year.

i was asking in the interest of actual numbers, not whether it is overheating. but, if the main components aren't overheating, then Silicon degradation in such a short time period isn't possible anyways so i guess ultimately i don't need the data.