Copying Steam install to another drive

Ayures

Question

For whatever reason, DE has decided to not give Steam permission to move installs of Warframe (or the way it updates just doesn't allow it). Will a straight copy & paste work by chance? Maybe "uninstalling" it from the old folder afterwards or something?

Edited by Ayures

5 answers to this question

1 minute ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

Move the files, tell Steam where the new game folder is, have it verify it, it may download a few mb's to sort itself out, but then it should work just fine.

I'm not sure how to point Steam to another install folder without the move function. Are you thinking that uninstalling it and "installing" it to the new folder (with everything copied to it, of course) might work, too?

12 minutes ago, Ayures said:

I'm not sure how to point Steam to another install folder without the move function

You can do that in the settings here:

ef6f655d03e3dd4677a371803bcc14d9.png

12 minutes ago, Ayures said:

Are you thinking that uninstalling it and "installing" it to the new folder (with everything copied to it, of course) might work, too?

It sounds like it might work. Wouldn't know why not. 

Eh, it didn't like that. I already had the alternate Steam install folder set up to move other programs (new SSD yay). It seems Warframe just doesn't like being moved. I guess you just have to redownload the game when you want to move the Steam version, so I'm just switching to the standalone version.