Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Noob here, Can't wait to get going

(XBOX)BoomBazookaJD

Question

Hey all! First off, this game rocks! 

I'm coming over from a year of playing ESO, so I'm pretty familiar with the base components of an MMO; grinding/crafting, leveling, etc..

This game is HUGE and frankly, I'm lost. I'm not sure where to go, what exactly to do first, and how I wind up creating new warframes. Clearly, that's not until later but I'd like to get a handle on what to do first. 

So, I'm only about two or three hours in; I've just beat Vor and cleared Master Rank 1, and chose the Volt frame because who doesn't like electrocuting people? So, if I could get a bit of advice for the next 10-20 hours of gameplay, that would be solid! 

Finally, I'm on XB1 and I know there is a Clan recruitment thread but if any of you are on xb1 and willing to give a guy a few tutorials, my username is my GT. :)

12 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, (XB1)BoomBazookaJD said:

I'm coming over from a year of playing ESO, so I'm pretty familiar with the base components of an MMO; grinding/crafting, leveling, etc..

This game is HUGE and frankly, I'm lost. I'm not sure where to go, what exactly to do first, and how I wind up creating new warframes. Clearly, that's not until later but I'd like to get a handle on what to do first. 

So, I'm only about two or three hours in; I've just beat Vor and cleared Master Rank 1, and chose the Volt frame because who doesn't like electrocuting people? So, if I could get a bit of advice for the next 10-20 hours of gameplay, that would be solid! 

Finally, I'm on XB1 and I know there is a Clan recruitment thread but if any of you are on xb1 and willing to give a guy a few tutorials, my username is my GT. 🙂

Welcome young Tenno!

Early on in the game you should focus on finding replacements for your damaged mods first as they don't rank up as high as the regular ones. Keep clearing star chart nodes and unlocking junctions. Don't worry too much about mastery rank as it isn't an indicator of your "level" really and is mostly used to lock the more powerful gear away. Mastery is gained by levelling weapons and frames as well as clearing chart nodes and junctions. Replaying nodes and re-levelling gear you have repolarised does not gain you mastery so bear that in mind.

Do not spend your starter plat on anything other than frame or weapon slots!

Every weapon type has some "mandatory" mods which increase their base damage such as Serration for rifles, Hornet Strike for sidearms, Pressure Point for blades and Point Blank for shotguns. Concentrate on getting these levelled up first (depending on which weapons you prefer). Use the site below or the wiki to find the drop locations (the one below is based on the official drops data feed).

https://drops.warframestat.us

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

The wiki really is your friend in this game and I would seriously suggest some reading on your abilities as there are quite a few tricks to some of them like Rhino's Iron Skin and Frost's Snow Globe invulnerability phases.

Keep an eye out for elemental damage mods for your weapons as a common newbie mistake is to not use these. Roughly a third of your damage comes from these so make sure you are using at least 2. Check the wiki for how these combine to make additional damage types and which types affect different enemies.

Parts from new frames drop from bosses on planets which you will encounter along the way. You need 3 parts for each frame (Chassis, Systems and Neuroptics) and the blueprint which you can buy from the market place for credits. Note that bosses don't like being killed (duh!) and each one you kill will gain you a death mark which will result in something I won't spoil.

Other than those points and whatever other tips others chime in with just keep trying stuff out until you get a feel for what you like. Try all the weapons and frames you can. Join a clan as well as the clan dojo has a couple of labs you can replicate a lot of weapons and several frames from for credits if the clan has researched them. If you do join a clan you must craft the dojo key in your foundry before you can access the dojo.

It probably isn't important to you just yet but it is worth knowing that everything in the game can be obtained for free. Frame and weapon slots cost Plat which is the game's premium currency but later on you can obtain what are known as Prime Parts (the better gear) from Void Fissure mission and sell those to other players for Plat. Quite a few mods you will find can be sold for plat as well which you can use to buy slots and other things.

Again, no spoilers but you should head for The Second Dream and The War Within quests as soon as you can.

Have fun!

46 minutes ago, (XB1)BoomBazookaJD said:

Finally, I'm on XB1 and I know there is a Clan recruitment thread but if any of you are on xb1 and willing to give a guy a few tutorials, my username is my GT. :)

One reason Devs should lock out new people for joining higher events .. 

becuase there is an quest codex you should follow 

instead you jump straight into Eso as you claimed and didnt do any search before entering this game

---- People are getting frustrated by this typical behavior ---- 

No offense but arnt you new and should do some research .. watching youtubes vids .. reading warframe Wiki for example

Explore read do ,, and have succes

56 minutes ago, -_Highlander_- said:

One reason Devs should lock out new people for joining higher events .. 

becuase there is an quest codex you should follow 

instead you jump straight into Eso as you claimed and didnt do any search before entering this game

---- People are getting frustrated by this typical behavior ---- 

No offense but arnt you new and should do some research .. watching youtubes vids .. reading warframe Wiki for example

Explore read do ,, and have succes

You do realize that the OP was referring to having played Elder Scrolls Online for a year, prior to starting to play Warframe. They would not have access to Elite Sanctuary Onslaught within Warframe, after only a few hours of playing, and having just cleared the MR1 test.

I would guess that the OP wouldn’t even know what Sanctuary Onslaught is, as they are new to the game, and posting here to ask for assistance with the early game. Rather than immediately attacking, and insulting, a new player that is looking for information, you could’ve done some research yourself... 

OP- Shalath has given you some good info on the basics. Between the wiki, some YouTube content creators, and some of the more new player friendly Twitch streamers, there is a wealth of info out there. I don’t play as much on Xbox these days, and only have a solo clan, but if you need a hand with things, feel free to message me. I know this game can be overwhelming at first. Happy hunting, Tenno.

I suggest you just progress through the starchart.

You'll unlock new quests as you move on.

Notice any cool weapons/frames? Try working towards unlocking them. Really a huge part of this game is just unlocking different pieces of gear and just messing around with them.

Edited by Tricky5hift

Fantastic help folks! I've spent a good time looking through youtube and watching several beginners guides. Sorry for the confusion about ESO, I had no idea that it translated into something in Warframe! Elder Scrolls was...well, the devs are out of touch with their own game. Anyway, does Warframe have an "endgame"? I haven't looked that far ahead on vidoes/reviews (though I have encountered Fashionframe; ESO had the same kind of situation after outfits were introduced). I got into the endgame of ESO; trials and vet dungeons but its pretty limited when you can't even stay connected during a trial. 

I've worked my way into Venus but the rest of the missions are locked on Earth, I think I need to do a mission in Cetus? I went there last night but was totally lost on what to do after talking to some dude. I did however get to scope out some great looking warframes!! 

I've done a few mods that were necessary to move into venus, but otherwise i'm not upgrading mods or buying blueprints quite yet. The Karak seems pretty cool, but I'm sure its one of the lower level weapons and I'm hesitant to spend money and resources on it so early. 

I have so far tended to use my staff and Braton, the former way more than the latter. I'm also still working on reliably bullet jumping and combining moves together. I have figured out how to use aim during flight to really get some distance. 

58 minutes ago, (XB1)Whippngirl said:

You do realize that the OP was referring to having played Elder Scrolls Online for a year, prior to starting to play Warframe. They would not have access to Elite Sanctuary Onslaught within Warframe, after only a few hours of playing, and having just cleared the MR1 test.

I would guess that the OP wouldn’t even know what Sanctuary Onslaught is, as they are new to the game, and posting here to ask for assistance with the early game. Rather than immediately attacking, and insulting, a new player that is looking for information, you could’ve done some research yourself... 

OP- Shalath has given you some good info on the basics. Between the wiki, some YouTube content creators, and some of the more new player friendly Twitch streamers, there is a wealth of info out there. I don’t play as much on Xbox these days, and only have a solo clan, but if you need a hand with things, feel free to message me. I know this game can be overwhelming at first. Happy hunting, Tenno.

Then OP should have typed the name of the game .. EsO as in warframe Eso 

one extra reason to pay attention .. 

things can be easy misleading with this kinda short text

lol kek idk yolo LuLz etc ... only if people are more accurate .. then i wouldnt have typed in the first place

-- but then again .. the content i typed is just for the way it should be if you are new to this game

Apologize in some way but not for everything ..

OP no offense still .. you should stop short texting other games into this topic .. it would be easyer to sepperate the diffrence a way better for allot of peeps

1 hour ago, -_Highlander_- said:

lol kek idk yolo LuLz etc ... only if people are more accurate .. then i wouldnt have typed in the first place

-- but then again .. the content i typed is just for the way it should be if you are new to this game

OP no offense still .. you should stop short texting other games into this topic .. it would be easyer to sepperate the diffrence a way better for allot of peeps

ESO as in Elder Scrolls Online. Since the confusion is pretty silly, lets just leave it here. Clearly you misinterpreted my meaning of ESO and decided to fly off the cuff about new players finding their way into some pretty deep content, which is seemingly locked from new players anyway, so your swift jump to a conclusion led you astray. Rather than doubling down, you COULD just admit you were wrong (you were) and move on with perhaps adding in some useful information that you find applicable to a new player to the game. abbreviating another well known, if not infamous, AAA MMO by its widely known name isn't reason for you to get wadded up when you think of Warframe specific content. As a previous post noted, if you had taken a second to chill, you probably could have guessed by reading the rest of the post that I wasn't coming TO the game from content WITHIN the game.

For those of you who have provided some rock solid advice, I thank you. I'm used to the above kind of behavior from the ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE forum so this guy/gal isn't a rare breed, it's standard behavior in that games community, particularly the PVP crowd.  

What exactly is Cetus on Earth? 

1 hour ago, -_Highlander_- said:

Geez calm down lmao it was a pretty honest mistake.

13 minutes ago, (XB1)BoomBazookaJD said:

ESO as in Elder Scrolls Online. Since the confusion is pretty silly, lets just leave it here. Clearly you misinterpreted my meaning of ESO and decided to fly off the cuff about new players finding their way into some pretty deep content, which is seemingly locked from new players anyway, so your swift jump to a conclusion led you astray. Rather than doubling down, you COULD just admit you were wrong (you were) and move on with perhaps adding in some useful information that you find applicable to a new player to the game. abbreviating another well known, if not infamous, AAA MMO by its widely known name isn't reason for you to get wadded up when you think of Warframe specific content. As a previous post noted, if you had taken a second to chill, you probably could have guessed by reading the rest of the post that I wasn't coming TO the game from content WITHIN the game.

For those of you who have provided some rock solid advice, I thank you. I'm used to the above kind of behavior from the ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE forum so this guy/gal isn't a rare breed, it's standard behavior in that games community, particularly the PVP crowd.  

What exactly is Cetus on Earth? 

9 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

Geez calm down lmao it was a pretty honest mistake.

To both of you what did i say .. iiiiiiii apologizeeeeeee but anyhow 

what content is in this topic also ..

so what i was saying .. is in fact an point beeing made .. watch youtube video's etc explore wiki warframe .. there are enough information to play with 

Quest Codex .. well its made to do what it needs to do .. 

but if every newcommer jumps into the highest level by taxi drivers and they will mess up and complain and ruin the mission itself .. then you need more experience from this game

to stand your ground better iam not saying you couldnt do it .. but more as an secure feature for yourself beeing not sitting duck but more agressive and supportive 

Follow the quests in the codex .. and you'll will perform in the field much better :satisfied: