Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Wall of Bahamut [IC]

ShrimpOverlord

"Welcome, welcome!" said a short corpus man in a tux. Behind him was the huge double door to an even bigger mansion, owned by the top physicist in the Solar System. 

He smiled at the group. If he had met any of them just a few years back, they would've probably murdered him before he could even see them - but the war was over. There was no advesrity between the factions. The Grineer matriarchy was dissolved and replaced with a strong, stable democracy, and the Corpus agreed to stop their trade of Orokin technology and reduce their massive enviormental footprint.

He turned around and pushed the red button. The door creaked and groaned as it opened, slowly revealing the interior of the mansion. Warm, orange light started filling the dark night sky, illuminating the red Mars ground beneath them.

The outside door lead straight to the ball room - a room the size of a football field. Tables were littered all around the room, filled with delicious Corpus cuisine and tempting alcoholic drinks. Each table was surrounded by at least 30 Corpus and Grineer scientists and diplomats, all shaking hands and making shallow conversations.
The marble floor shined and reflected the warm light produced by at least 20 chandeliers, each one probably costing a small fortune.

"Follow me." he said, quickly leading the group. As they passed by the people, no one really seemed to pay attention - a look here and there, but overall, strangely enough, they were ignored.
The group was lead to a large table at the edge of the ball room, right where it was cut off by a large red curtain. One could only wonder what was behind it.

The table had enough spots to seat every member of the group, in addition to a few extra chairs, just in case. 

"Sit down, and don't be afraid to have some of the food." he chuckled, gesturing at all the different trays of food sitting on the table. There was enough food and drinks there to feed a family for a month.

"The main event will start shortly." He smiled, bowed, and left.

Kami followed the greeter in, and took her seat.

"Damn all this expense. I doubt it's possible to flaunt one's oppulence more than this. Well... short of building one's own planetoid." The Banshee commented to no one in particular.

She grabbed a breadstick, and folded her helmet away, before taking a bite. While chewing the strangely-flavored bread she cast a look at her teammates, waiting for their comments about the situation.

Zeur followed what she assumed was a corpus butler to the table where she opened warframe opened up to allow her to sit down and tried some of the food but decided to avoid drinking anything in fear of getting drunk and accidentally killing everyone here.  She was rather nervous for two reasons, the first being the amount of people here, the other being that she wanted to make a good first impression which is why she's avoiding the drinks.  She looked around the table then shyly asked "Hello, my name's Zeur. What's yours?"

Edited by (XB1)WaterJewel94694

He was excited about this thing, since although Noppa is an extrovert, making friends weren't easier. Of course, when you are open-minded and have an open heart, you can speak without worrying: What others think of me? He exactly had and has this mentality, it's just not working all the time. Today this guy worried too, and sat down next to Zeur. Trying to hide his little... nervousness, He smiled right at her, while he was searching for something light to drink.
"Aaaay! What a warm welcome, isn't it? Anyways everyone, I'm Noppa!" Winked to her, then to everyone, with self-confidence.Then He realized, that nobody can see it because of the blindfold. So he turnt his smile into a proud grin.

Edited by Tenro97

Food... so much food... she could not begin deciding what to try first. The virmink steak? The lanx fins? The Venusian breadsticks? Her brain is going to shortcircuit!

B lining from table to table while following who appeared to be their guide, it was clear this Tenno was somewhat lacking in table manners. This Gersemi Valkyr used her agility to swiftly steal bites out of untouched plates of food, and took some of the smaller snacks with her. When they arrived at their table, she didn't need to jump around anymore. Only take a seat, and enjoy the feast.

"Nom-nom... Skuld... nice to meet you all..." she said while stuffing herself with the high quality food and refreshments.

Kami eyed the Gersemi with some doubt, and then turned to the others:"My name's Kami."

She got up, and picked one of the bottled beverages, inspecting the label. Satisfied, she undid the fastenings around the stopper, and uncorked it with a loud pop.

She took a tall, thin glass, and filled it up, with the sparkling wine, before asking: "Anyone else want some?"

Darkness led me to light. Light led me to live. So I can drink now and live this life the way, I want, thought the soul within. He stopped searching for drink and got a tall, thin glass instead.
"I would love to, please!" said without any hesitation. Then he turnt his head in the direction of Zeur's voice "Science is something you can't really ignore. It's echo leaves a huge impact, especially these days when new planets are discovered, new transport technologies are created. I'm here to learn about these: how they, the "Sharks" do it, why they do it... The Physics led me."

Edited by Tenro97

She was getting too old for this. Nevermind the fact that she was still fairly young for a Tenno. Ever since the universe had reformed itself into model behaviour, the demand for mercenaries had gone lower and lower. They were a dying breed, and had to move on with their lives, or die with their profession. However, that wasn't what had been wearing her down. Ever since the actual danger of mercenary work had disappeared, dozens had flocked to the line of work, making her real job... teaching.

"Don't stare into the barrel of a loaded Vectis."

"Don't jab your friends with a heat dagger as a joke."

"Don't fire a Tonkor in an enclosed room."

It was only hilarious to clean the recruits off of the ceiling the first one or two times. Afterwards, it was just a chore. And so, she found herself sipping on something dark, bitter and burning. Heh. Just like she liked her men. Hooray for vacation.

Edited by DaMadReaper

Just a few seats away was a Corpus man, pale in colouration with veins visible beneath sunken skin. His gaunt features made him appear rather malnourished, yet here before him was a spread the likes of which had not be seen upon Venus for years.

Despite being clearly Corpus from the hairless head marked with a snake-like barcode tattoo and the standard-issue subdivision jumpsuit, one could guess with fair confidence that he was going to be more comrade than client. He wore no trace of their extravagance and opulence, and the ramblings and business chatter of his brethren were of no interest to him. While they were hogging the platters of roasts, oasis delicacies and wine, he was instead scanning the table surface for his preferred brand of high-calorie nutritional sustenance bars. There weren't any of course, considering the setting.

His eyes travelled further up the table, and settled on a small platter of barbequed, skewered Charc eels between a pair of conversing Tenno ladies. He leaned forward to fish a few sticks onto his empty plate, eagerly took a bite, then shut his eyes in apparent contentment. 

The mass of flesh, bone and armour looted from the various factions who went by the name of Custos would follow silently behind the rest of the group, scrutinizing each and every individual he would meet on its way in complete silence.

As the group would now find themselves inside the enormous hall, the strange-looking human would attempt to catch up with the others until they finally arrived at what was supposed to be their seating, the food didn't really interest the man much, not even the drinks, what was getting the extreme attention of Custos was none other than the large red curtain, that was his real point of interest.

But at last, he decided to sit down in-between Zeur and Noppa, slowly lowering the Grineer mask on his helmet until it roughly went where the face was supposed to be, showing no sign of apparent emotion until he would take a group of breadsticks on his hands and would finally talk:

"Hi, I'm Custos, and yes please I would love that wine Kami"

As he said so he would take the wine bottle from Kami to fill his own chalice... before putting the bottle back on the table and poking his grineer mask with the breadsticks until they would break and fall on his legs, proceeding to repeat the same process with the wine, imitating the gesture to drink it only for it to go too on his seat.

"Food's nice, drinks too, they really have no budget limits here"

"I guess they have." Zeur said nervous and confused by Custos's behavior.  "In case you're all wondering i came because i heard there was going to be new creature and materials and i wanted to be the one who records what they are." Zeur said with a bit of excitement "Also does anyone know where the alcohol-free drinks are?"

"I'm pretty sure youbcan just read what's on the label." Kami said. "Besides - we all came inside at the same time. How would the rest of us know something as nuanced as that?"

She got up from the chair, and went grabbed a breadstick, before idly strolling over to the window, and casting a gaze outside.

"Alright, alright, gather round, people." the voice of a man filled the room, bursting out of hidden speakers.

"It's time for the main show."

The room quickly went quiet, the various scientists sitting down next to their tables and staring at the huge red curtain, waiting for it to reveal the secret behind it.

Two crews of corpus workers were standing at both sides of the curtain. They signaled something to eachother, then started pulling on the large ropes.
The curtains started to move. Very, very slowly. About three minutes later, and an opening that was barely three meters across revelead what was behind that curtain.

A normal looking wooden door.

A crew member ran over, opened it, and then sprinted away, his helmet almost falling. 
Pitch darkness was the only thing waiting behind that door.

A spotlight shined at the Tenno.

"Big applause for our heroes!" the announcer called, as the audience started clapping and cheering, some even throwing roses.
A bunch of workers in tuxedos walked over to the Tenno table, guiding them up from their spot and towards the door.

"Walk in. Don't be afraid." one of the workers whispered.

The taste of old Earth in the banquet was nice and appreciated, but a whole new and less familiar world was waiting. The Corpus man in the lab coat set down his napkin and got to his feet, a doctor's bag in his hand. As he approached the gateway, he began to visibly shiver. Involuntary tremors, an unfortunate side effect of his research. He paused for a moment to pop a few pills from an inner pocket into his mouth, which instantaneously subdued his symptoms.

The Banshee had already left, being the first through the gateway. He slowed down as he reached the Equinox that was left behind, and turned his head to her with an air of politeness.

"Ladies first?"

Skuld gulped down mouthful after mouthful, humming occasionally in agreement to the Tenno around her, but not really listening. It's so refreshing after month long diets of Europa ice fish. A Gersemi in her natural habitat...

The feast seemed to come to an early end though, did she come late? Damn this peace era, leading her not to bring a bag and ammo pouches, could've nicked some snacks for later. Didn't stop her from trying though, taking with her a full plate of fried skate wings, and some dip, of course.

"Nobody minds if I take these along, right?" She didn't wait for an answer, not like she'd take 'no' as one anyway. She went through the pitch black door, not really expecting to lose her footing as she did so.

Such a grandious banquet, feast and presentstion, but in the end all they showed was a...

"...a wood door? Seriously?"

Then, as he spoke, the door would open, revealing inside of it a pitch-black darkness that could be described more precisely as staring directly to the center of the Eye Of Terror.

Shook by the revelation, Custos would stand up and slide up it's grineer mask, and with his pants still dirty and wet from the breadsticks and the wine, his helmet's eye-slit would change colours rapidly, falling a light-blue note.

The man would slowly move toward the wood, touching it's frame before looking back at the scientists.

"I remembered it differently, like i altready did this different times, but its also always like the first time, isn't it?"

His eyeslit would suddenly change to a golden colour before Custos would open his arms and let himself fall inside the pitch-black portal.

As each member of the group stepped in, their body was engulfed by the darkness of the doorframe. Another step in, and they found themselves in a pitch black room, with hard floor beneath them.

Looking backwards where the door was would reveal nothing - as if it was never there.

The strange thing about the room was that even though everything was black, the members were as clear as day to each other. They could see each other, hear each other, and feel each other, even though there was no source of light.

But before they could interact with one another, the pitch black floor beneath them started violently shaking. A few seconds of violent shaking later, it stopped as quickly as it began. A large pop sound was heard, and light filled the room.

A quick look around would reveal that they were no longer in the room, but in an open field of strange flowers. Endless fields, all around them, with one distant tree around 500 meters from them.

The sky were just like Earth's - blue and cloudless. There was something very strange about it. There was no sun. Shadows were still cast on the ground, as if it was noon, but the sun just wasn't there.

The flowers were around waist height, their petals gradiently rainbow colored. They restlessly moved in the breeze, spreading a nice smell through the air.

"Wow.  This place is certainly interesting.  Any clue what we should do?" Zeur asked the others, when they finally reached wherever they were supposed to land, as she pulled out a notebook and pencil to write down notes on the flowers and the lack of star generating light or heat, switching colors to properly detail her entries as necessary.

"Ah. There it goes. Apparently we're all either dead, insane or under a drug mimicking those effects." Kami speculated.

She then realised that she had not put her helmet back on, but her breathing was not hampered, nor she suffered adverse effects... yet.

"Air is breathable, unless it has some unidentifiable, untracable and unperceivable toxin in it." She continued and sat down, stabbing her spear in the ground.

"Well, sound off if anyone is experiencing palpitations, loss of balance, nausea and excessive sweating then." said the Corpus doctor. "Though I'd probably just brush it off as rail sickness."

He appeared to share a similar interest in the flowers as the Equinox. He stooped down and plucked three specimens, slipping them into a test tube he produced from his doctor's bag. As for the third, he held it closely to his face, squinting at its fragrant, accented petals. Then without further thought, popped it into his mouth.