Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Modular stuff should be modular

Kitedtk

I understand that especially for Zaws this is kinda late to complain about this and seek a change for them but I just wish that these things actually felt and were special. Rather than feeling like the game wants me to in essence build a dozen of the same thing.

What do I mean? Well as it currently is the game to my knowledge has several things which are "modular in name only."

Amps
Zaws
Moas
Kitguns

I'm sure this list can be expanded as more stuff like this is added but I wish that these things were actually modular rather than just being what they currently are which is custom.

I wish for example that the Moa was built around a single AI core or something and I could swap parts on it to change it on the fly, depending on what situation I was going into. I wish it felt like it was a special thing, like it was MY MOA rather than just a moa... Wouldn't it have been cool if say once we were rank 3 or something with Solaris we could have bought a quest from them, kinda like how you have to buy the Inaros quest. That quest could have rewarded you the Moa core and then you would have had like a bunch of broken moa parts... you could have used reputation points to have the Solaris repair each piece to unlock it for you Moa, letting you swap the parts in and out. Wouldn't that have been special?

Regarding an issue I can see about this might be well what about forma and mod slots for these things. Well a simple solution would be to tie those to the core of the weapon, the Zaw core, the Moa core, the Kitgun core... Though another and possibly better way of doing it might have been to instead divide the slots between the parts. for example say the Moa has 4 parts and the core. Each part, including the core, gets two mod slots. When you swap a part whatever formaing you did stays with the part. This way not only could changing parts change the generic function of the Moa but it would change the polarities you had on it. I just thing this would have been better than what is currently in use.

It also makes no sense we can't disassemble the things back into their parts. Are they fused together on the molecular level? My idea for the slots would also work for each different thing, Zaws could have fives slots on each part or four on the main ones and two on the link. etc.

Above all I wish these things actually felt special rather than what they currently feel like.

Apologies for how rambling this has been. I wish that all these would get changed to being actually modular weapons and pets that we could swap parts on and feel like they were unique and special.

Yes please! It would also be cool if they used less weapon slots as well. I think people short on plat would be way more encouraged try those things out if Kitguns only used 1 slot instead of using a minimum of 4 slots if you want to try out every single chamber. The weapon slot hell is even more apparent with Zaws, because every single strike can build 2 different types of weapons.

Edited by Wyrmius_Prime

This is why I never bothered getting any of them. I just don't have the time to put all this effort into making a thing I don't even know if I'll like. If I don't like it I'll have to start all over again. The risk and investment doesn't appeal to me at all.

I know Warframe is grindy and it's never bothered me before but these things are different and they make me not want to participate at all. 

Let's do a hypothetical, you're an Olympic gymnast. Top of the podium, every single time. Your movements are perfectly fluid, pure style, grace and an economy of movement that shows that you have complete, perfect control over your body on a cellular level. 

Then you go to sleep and wake up, only to find that you have the arms of a body builder and the lower body an endurance runner. Might have an effect, no? You'd need to relearn everything, right? Start from scratch. 

That can be a stand in for the lore for why you can assemble from parts, but not swap them. ?

19 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Let's do a hypothetical, you're an Olympic gymnast. Top of the podium, every single time. Your movements are perfectly fluid, pure style, grace and an economy of movement that shows that you have complete, perfect control over your body on a cellular level. 

Then you go to sleep and wake up, only to find that you have the arms of a body builder and the lower body an endurance runner. Might have an effect, no? You'd need to relearn everything, right? Start from scratch. 

That can be a stand in for the lore for why you can assemble from parts, but not swap them. ?

That is a ludicrously bad example. These aren't biological things they're machines. This is more comparable to a drill with swappable heads that for some reason fuse to the drill the moment they are attached. It makes no sense.

At best your argument would make it valid for swapping the parts out to drop their level to zero.

Edited by Kitedtk

Just now, Kitedtk said:

That is a ludicrously bad example. These aren't biological things they're machines. This is more comparable to a drill with swappable heads that for some reason fuse to the drill the moment they are attached. It makes no sense.

At least one of them is supposed to be at least artificially intelligent. I've had to console (read get drunk with in an attempt to avoid melt down) friends in college who were trying to come up with programs to help robots move around. Pretty sure you don't want to try to upload the programming for a spider drone into a flying one. 

How about the example of an all in one computer for your amps? If you want it to work well, then you might want to solder the parts so that nothing can shift out of place. Changes made after that's done, become a significant pain. 

Or for your kitguns... Yeah, by all means, please do strap some bits of junk together in a way that makes them instantly hot swappable, and place some ordinance in it capable of firing off a projectile. When you're done testing the mean number of shots before failure, let me know how many fingers you still have. ?

3 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

At least one of them is supposed to be at least artificially intelligent. I've had to console (read get drunk with in an attempt to avoid melt down) friends in college who were trying to come up with programs to help robots move around. Pretty sure you don't want to try to upload the programming for a spider drone into a flying one. 

How about the example of an all in one computer for your amps? If you want it to work well, then you might want to solder the parts so that nothing can shift out of place. Changes made after that's done, become a significant pain. 

Or for your kitguns... Yeah, by all means, please do strap some bits of junk together in a way that makes them instantly hot swappable, and place some ordinance in it capable of firing off a projectile. When you're done testing the mean number of shots before failure, let me know how many fingers you still have. ?

The moa can't fly... every version of it is a walking robot. How about you use sensible examples. Plus it is rudimentary to just say that the AI to operate the different offensive/defensive systems is built into the part that has them. Problem solved.

What about the amps is a computer? they are mystical void guns... also because every configuration is possible then once again your argument is pointless. 1-1-1 is possible. 1-1-2 is possible. all combos are possible so there can't be some these parts won't work with these parts logic. and unless they say that these things bond on a molecular level, then again it makes no sense I can't take apart what I built. It's even more obvious with the kitguns. I won't bother with another paragraph for those. Every combo is possible, hence your argument of them blowing up in your hand is silly and should be tossed in the bin. Again, unless the parts bond on a molecular level it makes no sense I can't remove one loader and stick on another one. Cause I can just built the exact same thing with a different loader and it works. No magical mumbojumbo involved.

1 hour ago, Kitedtk said:

They are modular.   The word does not automatically mean that once the modules are put together they can be taken apart and reused for something else.   Lived in a modular house for a few years.  It was in no way able to be taken apart and moved around after it was built other than destroying it.  Then again, I also had some modular tools, with a main body with a battery and changeable head units.   They were ok, took up less space but were not as powerful or durable as my dedicated tools.

Still, it would be nice if they could be swapped around rather than building more than one for different needs.  Thinking about it a bit, even if each configuration  took up a slot it would still be nice.   So DE doesn't lose out and we get adaptability.  Maybe make it so each part is somehow leveled up individually and makes up "x" amount of the items mod slots.  When formas were added, they would be added to a particular part so they would stay.  IE For Zaws.  Each Strike would be the main basis of the weapon.  Each one would need a slot.  Each one would need gilded.  Forma, Arcanes and MR would be attached to them as well.  Grips and links would be interchangeable as a player see's fit.  So a player would at most need 11 slots, and to rank up and gild the 11 Strikes if they wanted every possible Zaw option.  But even just one would still give a player access to all versions of that Strike as long as they have the Grips and Links.   Seems like a win for both DE and players.

1 hour ago, Plushy said:

This is why I never bothered getting any of them. I just don't have the time to put all this effort into making a thing I don't even know if I'll like. If I don't like it I'll have to start all over again. The risk and investment doesn't appeal to me at all.

I know Warframe is grindy and it's never bothered me before but these things are different and they make me not want to participate at all. 

Not sure about moas and kitguns since i have not built them yet.   But with zaws and amps, with a bit of research, you know what you are building and can make them to suit your taste. 

42 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

The moa can't fly... every version of it is a walking robot. How about you use sensible examples. Plus it is rudimentary to just say that the AI to operate the different offensive/defensive systems is built into the part that has them. Problem solved.

I tell you what, you present your program that would make modular robots able to walk, run and crouch over variable terrain, that will not have any flaws when you swap parts, and we'll sell it to the Corpus (or darpa) and you'll be rich. Failing that, I'm going to assume that you have never written that sort of thing, have absolutely no experience with it, and don't know what you're talking about. 

Or, you know, you can try to obtuse your way out of it, whatever floats your zeppelin. 

What about the amps is a computer? they are mystical void guns... 

Odd, this looks like you just claimed that we don't understand how they would actually work, which is exactly why you'd have to accept that we can assemble the parts and not be able to take them apart again. Thanks for that, good talk. 👍

Every combo is possible, hence your argument of them blowing up in your hand is silly and should be tossed in the bin. 

Make one and prove it to yourself. Might I suggest looking at the design that went into the Parrott guns? Assembled from parts, cheaper and easier to make, highly accurate, and widely used. (Sound familiar?) Of course the fact that they had a nasty habit of blowing the people using them into smithereens, might give you pause. And the best part is that if you want to take the band off... You were usually out of luck. 

But hey don't let the lessons we leaned in the past stop you! 

While you're checking the history on that, skip back a few centuries and check out the majority of the pattern welded viking swords made from scraps, dribs and drabs. Then see if you can figure out how we'll they lasted, and let me know how you would get on with taking them apart once made. 

Or you know, maybe just think before posting that other people don't know what they're on about. 😉

1 minute ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

I tell you what, you present your program that would make modular robots able to walk, run and crouch over variable terrain, that will not have any flaws when you swap parts, and we'll sell it to the Corpus (or darpa) and you'll be rich. Failing that, I'm going to assume that you have never written that sort of thing, have absolutely no experience with it, and don't know what you're talking about. 

Or, you know, you can try to obtuse your way out of it, whatever floats your zeppelin. 

Odd, this looks like you just claimed that we don't understand how they would actually work, which is exactly why you'd have to accept that we can assemble the parts and not be able to take them apart again. Thanks for that, good talk. 👍

Make one and prove it to yourself. Might I suggest looking at the design that went into the Parrott guns? Assembled from parts, cheaper and easier to make, highly accurate, and widely used. (Sound familiar?) Of course the fact that they had a nasty habit of blowing the people using them into smithereens, might give you pause. And the best part is that if you want to take the band off... You were usually out of luck. 

But hey don't let the lessons we leaned in the past stop you! 

While you're checking the history on that, skip back a few centuries and check out the majority of the pattern welded viking swords made from scraps, dribs and drabs. Then see if you can figure out how we'll they lasted, and let me know how you would get on with taking them apart once made. 

Or you know, maybe just think before posting that other people don't know what they're on about. 😉

when did i say they would be made of scraps? and okay. I'll make that program once you make a functioning warframe. Infact once you produce a system that lets me put mods that make my hunting rifle shoot three bullets at once I'll do that.

I stand behind my point that the modular things in the game should actually be modular. But you enjoy making 9 Zaws. I wish I had just one that I could swap bits on. As for having each strike take up a weapon slot so DE makes money off of that. I don't mind.

Now I skipped most of your message so I hope you don't mind if I only addressed that. I really don't care about your opinions enough.

13 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

when did i say they would be made of scraps? and okay. I'll make that program once you make a functioning warframe. Infact once you produce a system that lets me put mods that make my hunting rifle shoot three bullets at once I'll do that.

I stand behind my point that the modular things in the game should actually be modular. But you enjoy making 9 Zaws. I wish I had just one that I could swap bits on. As for having each strike take up a weapon slot so DE makes money off of that. I don't mind.

Now I skipped most of your message so I hope you don't mind if I only addressed that. I really don't care about your opinions enough.

Uh uh uh, buddy. You go first, because you're the one who figures that it should be possible. Of course the fact that you responded so quickly trying to duck out of backing up what you said, kinda tells me that you're out of you depth. 

And you can stand behind it all you want, the zaws and kitguns are generally supposed to be held in front of you. Make sure you know which direction the pointy bits go. 

You've gotten examples of modular weapons, which couldn't be taken apart again. You got examples of other "modular" things that once put together aren't meant to be taken apart. I'll raise it by pointing out that many tool companies make drills, hammer drills and impact drivers. Many of them have similar parts. Good luck turning an impact driver into a hammer drill on your own, even if you could get the different parts. 😛

Regarding your hunting rifle, check out an over-under gun if you want multiple calibres it's great for survival situations. And if you absolutely want 3 of the same size at a time, use a modification of the Pistola Con Caricato. You can thank me later. 

Edited by (PS4)guzmantt1977
Forgot about the hunting rifle part.

25 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Uh uh uh, buddy. You go first, because you're the one who figures that it should be possible. Of course the fact that you responded so quickly trying to duck out of backing up what you said, kinda tells me that you're out of you depth. 

And you can stand behind it all you want, the zaws and kitguns are generally supposed to be held in front of you. Make sure you know which direction the pointy bits go. 

You've gotten examples of modular weapons, which couldn't be taken apart again. You got examples of other "modular" things that once put together aren't meant to be taken apart. I'll raise it by pointing out that many tool companies make drills, hammer drills and impact drivers. Many of them have similar parts. Good luck turning an impact driver into a hammer drill on your own, even if you could get the different parts. 😛

Sure, I'll design all those things as soon as the Orokin empire has risen and fallen and all that other stuff has happened... I mean your logic here seems to be well we can't do it in the real world so it shouldn't be in the game... Okay, I also can't bullet jump, set the world around me on fire with my mind, hit a moving target at three hundred meters with a pistol, etc. etc. So I guess by your logic all those things should be removed from the game. Again, just cause you pointed out the parrott gun or whatever it was that exists in reality it doesn't mean jack in a video game where i can make a grenade launcher that shoots radiation bombs by slapping a card on it.

I don't understand what your objection to my suggestion was  besides maybe you don't like people pointing out their objections to how stuff works in the game. Like I said earlier, I don't mind paying for each strikes or barrels weapon slot, I don't mind having to buy three pet slots for the different Moa heads. I just want these things to feel special rather than having in essence nine of the same damn weapon in my inventory. If you object to that then go ahead. Whatever floats your rock at the bottom of the ocean.

I look forward to your post demanding bullet jumping be removed from the game because people can't do that in the real world. Please send me a Link of it as soon as you've made it.
Thank you.

Oh and please do look up the Denel NTW 20 it is an anti material rifle with changeable calibers. It is a bit of a hassle but hey, It exists.

Edited by Kitedtk

3 hours ago, Kitedtk said:

I could swap parts on it to change it on the fly, depending on what situation I was going into.

They aren't going to make a system that just duplicates mods. If you wanted to eliminate mods from them and have parts act as mods currently do, then sure, but that would require a whole lot of new UI work and testing.

I just don't see how your system adds anything interesting to the existing system except more work and further need to change prices and build requirements for parts. If they are no longer one-time use, their cost will skyrocket.

Edited by peterc3

7 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

They aren't going to make a system that just duplicates mods. If you wanted to eliminate mods from them and have parts act as mods currently do, then sure, but that would require a whole lot of new UI work and testing.

I just don't see how your system adds anything interesting to the existing system except more work and further need to change prices and build requirements for parts. If they are no longer one-time use, their cost will skyrocket.

I have no problem with the parts being more expensive to acquire. I understand not everyone would agree with that. Also I fail to see your logic with how it would act in any way how mods already do. I mean what I am suggesting would not change the current system at all, just make it so you can swap the parts out rather than making another gun with different parts. It's the exact same stuff as what is already in the game.

32 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

Sure, I'll design all those things as soon as the Orokin empire has risen and fallen and all that other stuff has happened...

OK, I'll wait for that. Until then you'll probably be whistling Dixie. 

34 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

Again, just cause you pointed out the parrott gun or whatever it was that exists in reality it doesn't mean jack in a video game where i can make a grenade launcher that shoots radiation bombs by slapping a card on it.

Oh, well if you want to use that logic then you will be just fine accepting that "once you assemble these things from the modules you chose you can't break it down again", right? Because that's what exists in the game? Right? 🙂

37 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

I just want these things to feel special rather than having in essence nine of the same damn weapon in my inventory

No problemo, muchacho! What you do is check out "the stats" instead of saying "oh it's a zaw, they're all the exact same thing. Of course this might mean having to rethink, "all sniper rifles in warframe are identical" and, "all pistols in warframe are identical" too. Oops.. Sorry... Should have used spoiler tags there. It's hard to do on mobile. 😓

43 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

If you object to that then go ahead. Whatever floats your rock at the bottom of the ocean.

Oh I already did. You may have noticed? 

44 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

Oh and please do look up the Denel NTW 20 it is an anti material rifle with changeable calibers. It is a bit of a hassle but hey, It exists.

I could have saved you the trouble, FX Crown. In and out in minutes if that's how you roll. It's actually a fantastic design, which is what makes it so very, very unusual, and very, very expensive. Of course, modification of the calibre will also require sighting in again, and tuning the rifle to give optimal results, which if done correctly can take quite a while. 

Oh and once again, in each of the examples we're talking about altering only one thing, that has been specifically made to be replaced with another very specific thing. Ain't nobody going to try and bootstrap either one with a barrel made by anyone else held on with duct tape and baling wire. 

So I provide you with an example of something that does the basic thing I'm asking for using modern technology and your argument is... Well they couldn't make a better version of that in a world with super futuristic technology and space magic... Also all of those are things you could do when you swap the parts. I'm not suggesting making it so we could swap the parts during a mission or anything like that.

also your condescension is cute

28 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

So I provide you with an example of something that does the basic thing I'm asking for using modern technology and your argument is... Well they couldn't make a better version of that in a world with super futuristic technology and space magic... 

No, just that they didn't. Which is patently obvious when you think of it, right? Same way that the cloning technology is flawed, and the kubrows degrade, and they couldn't beat the sentients they made, and any of the myriad other things that we see. 

28 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

also your condescension is cute

It'd work better if you put heart eyes emojis instead, like so: 😍

2 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

No, just that they didn't. Which is patently obvious when you think of it, right? Same way that the cloning technology is flawed, and the kubrows degrade, and they couldn't beat the sentients they made, and any of the myriad other things that we see. 

It'd work better if you put heart eyes emojis instead, like so: 😍

So, what does that have to do with modular guns and Moas... which btw are already modular cause of all the different kinds the corpus employ... railgun, shockwave, etc. etc. I also never said they perfected all technologies. I don't see any problem with them having some stuff be modular. Like guns. Or Melee weapons.

So in the end you like how the system is currently. I don't. You want it to remain the same, I want it to change. The thing is it probably won't be changed. So there's yet more content that I have little to no interest in cause it feels less special than a Karak.

20 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

So, what does that have to do with modular guns and Moas... which btw are already modular cause of all the different kinds the corpus employ... railgun, shockwave, etc. etc. I also never said they perfected all technologies. I don't see any problem with them having some stuff be modular. Like guns. Or Melee weapons

Oh but they are. It's just a matter of not being able to swap the modules once they have been integrated, you see. That doesn't make them not modular. 

23 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

So in the end you like how the system is currently. I don't. You want it to remain the same, I want it to change. The thing is it probably won't be changed. So there's yet more content that I have little to no interest in cause it feels less special than a Karak.

I actually thought that this was leading up to something. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Oh but they are. It's just a matter of not being able to swap the modules once they have been integrated, you see. That doesn't make them not modular. 

I actually thought that this was leading up to something. 

You know exactly what I mean when I say I want the modular weapons to be modular.

and you were wrong. There's just content that lacks any uniqueness or special feeling and I wish they'd change that. They probably won't.

@(PS4)guzmantt1977  Cheap and functional versions of modular tools.  Black and Decker Matrix.  Craftsman Bolt On.  Had them both, and they were fine.  I guess even the power tools using only swap-able battery packs, maybe even just the bits/blades themselves as well can be considered modular.

There are industrial, military/police and SAR robots that are modular as well.  Most are a power unit, ie motor, controller, power supply.  Then the end user can bolt on weapons, cameras, gps or whatever equipment is needed for the job/mission as needed.  Some industrial ones can change their own equipment based on the job as well.  Nice CNC machines are a simple example where they can change their own tooling.  Not just the bits, but the tools themselves.

There are shotguns with swap-able barrels, among other parts, based on hunting type.  Rifled barrels for shooting assorted slug types.  Others for assorted grades of shot.  As well as assorted chokes that can be used on those barrels, including those with a variable choke.  Longer stocks for more comfortable grips.  Short hand grip stocks intended for home defense.  Those can be considered modular as well.  Likely lots of others as well.

Knowing that, still not sure there is a need for Moa's to be changeable.  It would potentially make them too good.   Amps I can see.  Pretty restricted usefulness on them.  Zaws and Kitguns I can see as well if there was a a "power unit" that required a slot, needed leveling, gilded, catalyst and forma.  Then the remaining parts would be swapped as needed.  This imo would help both DE and players.  Helping DE through increased forma, slot and catalyst use.  As players would get a TON of options for little investment making them a good value.  So players would increase their usage.  Helping players by giving access to more stuff for less. 

32 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

I do, but I also understand that you can make modular things that cannot be deconstructed non-destructively. It's what a couple of us have told you about. 

And yet I've even given real world examples of basic version of the modular I want. So... your entire point was utterly irrelevant as you knew what I meant and you could have just said you don't want that in the game. Saved us both a lot of time. Thanks for the argument /s

48 minutes ago, _Vortus_ said:

@(PS4)guzmantt1977  Cheap and functional versions of modular tools.  Black and Decker Matrix.  Craftsman Bolt On.  Had them both, and they were fine.  I guess even the power tools using only swap-able battery packs, maybe even just the bits/blades themselves as well can be considered modular.

There are industrial, military/police and SAR robots that are modular as well.  Most are a power unit, ie motor, controller, power supply.  Then the end user can bolt on weapons, cameras, gps or whatever equipment is needed for the job/mission as needed.  Some industrial ones can change their own equipment based on the job as well.  Nice CNC machines are a simple example where they can change their own tooling.  Not just the bits, but the tools themselves.

There are shotguns with swap-able barrels, among other parts, based on hunting type.  Rifled barrels for shooting assorted slug types.  Others for assorted grades of shot.  As well as assorted chokes that can be used on those barrels, including those with a variable choke.  Longer stocks for more comfortable grips.  Short hand grip stocks intended for home defense.  Those can be considered modular as well.  Likely lots of others as well.

Knowing that, still not sure there is a need for Moa's to be changeable.  It would potentially make them too good.   Amps I can see.  Pretty restricted usefulness on them.  Zaws and Kitguns I can see as well if there was a a "power unit" that required a slot, needed leveling, gilded, catalyst and forma.  Then the remaining parts would be swapped as needed.  This imo would help both DE and players.  Helping DE through increased forma, slot and catalyst use.  As players would get a TON of options for little investment making them a good value.  So players would increase their usage.  Helping players by giving access to more stuff for less. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I actually gave an example of one of the best target airguns on the market, they usually run at around the $2000 USD price range. 

But it, and all of the examples given are purpose built to be not just modular but hot swappable. We both know why most things like weapons, power tools and electronics, despite often being built on a production line from common parts aren't often meant to be modified after the fact or have modules swapped for others of different types. In some cases it's going to be difficult without destruction of the device and possible damage to the modules. In others it's because a jack of all trades isn't going to be as good as a purpose-built device. In some it may even because the recalibration process may be difficult (I'm thinking of some water quality meters I had to use back in university that were supposed to be hot swappable but were actually just a pain in the rear). 

I do understand what you proposed, and while there is are possible merits, I don't really see them outweighing what we already have. Those who already think "they're all the same anyway" probably still won't use many of the combinations. Making it cheaper because they don't want to spend the time and materials won't really help DE. 

37 minutes ago, Kitedtk said:

And yet I've even given real world examples of basic version of the modular I want. So... your entire point was utterly irrelevant as you knew what I meant and you could have just said you don't want that in the game. Saved us both a lot of time. Thanks for the argument /s

And yet, none of that makes them non-modular. And when you take the whole "they probably won't give me what I want anyway" it sort of made me wonder what the point of the ranting was. I started by trying to give you a way to look at it so it made sense, and you responded how? Oh right. Next I showed how the argument must apply to at least one of the things that you complained about, and what was your response? Ahhh... I see a pattern, do you? 

I even took the time to give you valid answers about your hunting rifle despite the fact that I suspected you were asking sarcastically.