Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea for a real endgame.

Cephalycion

Dear DEvelopers,

As we all know, endgame in Warframe is a problem. And a huge problem to solve. But we are programmers and we solve problems everyday, so this should be second nature, right?

Here are some of the conditions that I know of that will constitute a good engame:

1. It cannot reward players with combat gear. If there is one thing I learned about vets in any game, it is that they already have the most broken gear in the game. It is impossible to reward endgame players with combat gear without introducing power creep. This leaves us with the other alternative reward: Cosmetics.

2. It has to be tiered. The gamemode that is introduced as endgame cannot be locked to one difficulty only. The rewards have to scale up according to difficulty because then it will introduce a dynamic of progression. Vets will know that they are the best, not-so-vets will know that they need to go back to the farm and grind out some better gear to attempt this again.

3. It needs to lead to impossibility, or near-impossibility. This rule applies only to a select few games I have seen and Warframe is one of them. In this game, players are presented with so many different options and ways to cheat around the game's combat, examples being limbo cheese, atterax spin, chroma instakills, the list goes on. Therefore it should be assumed that the players are gods and are able to to anything. With this in mind, a scaling mechanic should be in place to ensure that the final tier of endgame is impossible to get to.

Here comes my idea. I have spent a sleepless night coming up with this, making sure that it fits into the above conditions.

The gamemode consists of players having to fight a boss. This boss is special and unique to this gamemode only. It should have weakpoints and predictable attack patterns to introduce a dynamic of skill into gameplay. The attacks from this boss will instantly down any warframe no matter the condition (including iron skin or banish). Revives are permitted. This boss should have upwards of a (insert large amount here) Effective Health and be immune to armor stripping effects.

When the gamemode starts, a timer will begin counting up. The objective of the gamemode is to defeat the boss as quickly as possible.

The faster the mission completion time, the higher the tier of reward. Rewards will scale up from glyphs to sigils to syandanas and eventually to full-on armor sets for veterans to display their proud achievements. Needless to say achieving a higher tier of reward will also include all tiers below it to prevent tedium of replaying.

It is up to the developers to decide if this gamemode should award any other resource such as credits or kuva. I am undecided on this matter.

Remember what I said about near impossibility? The tiered rewards will be scaled as such. If a player completes the mission within (insert variable amount of time here), they will receive the highest tier of reward. However, the boss battle will be designed in such a way that it is almost impossible to achieve this goal. A simple way to do this is to introduce brief periods of invulnerability after a select few health gates have been reached. The time required to achieve the final tier of reward will be the sum of invulnerable periods, +1 or 2 seconds.

I am not dictating that the DEvelopers follow my suggestions strictly; rather I encourage them to modify it so that it fits better in context.

I am also excited to hear some community input. What do you guys think?

Please kill me,

Cepha

Edited by Cephalycion

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

So, bullet sponge boss that instakills. How is that fun exactly?

If you refuse to pay attention and dodge, its not...

...or if you dont use the many abilities and mods that makes you nigh unkillable. Rolling guard anyone?

As for bullet sponginess, you can currently one shot nearly anything in the game if you get bit creative about it. Figuring out how is part of the fun.

3 minutes ago, -skimmer- said:

If you refuse to pay attention and dodge, its not...

...or if you dont use the many abilities and mods that makes you nigh unkillable. Rolling guard anyone?

As for bullet sponginess, you can currently one shot nearly anything in the game if you get bit creative about it. Figuring out how is part of the fun.

I don't particularly mind that instadeath part (though I would still probably find it annoying, especially if the attacks are not telegraphed, which, knowing Warframe, even if they actually try to make them telegraphed, something will but out the moment anyone lags for a fraction of a second, so...), but, frankly, if my weapon looks and feels like it should drill giant holes in anything, living or dead, then I expect it to drill giant holes in everything. Bullet sponges are archaic, ancient and lazy, there have to be better ways to make bosses look and feel resilient without damage caps.

3 hours ago, Cephalycion said:

A simple way to do this is to introduce brief periods of invulnerability after a select few health gates have been reached.

Lololololololololol- so on and so forth til the heat death of the universe. Invulnerability as part of anything and you think the people whining about no endgame will like this?

With this in mind, a scaling mechanic should be in place to ensure that the final tier of endgame is impossible to get to.

Like the armor scaling as it exists now? The thing people endlessly whine about?

The attacks from this boss will instantly down any warframe no matter the condition (including iron skin or banish).

Then what's the point of the builds people refine for the rest of the game? Instant kill attacks will be awesome if there's a network hiccup.