Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ordis chat tab (inspired by Event[0] )

Showerwalker

Hi guys, I recently finished playing Event[0] and immediately thought of Ordis & [DE]kickbot, and how it could help the game greatly not only as a great QoL change but also its affect on new player experience caused by the game's lack of guidance & infromation.

In short: the game revolves around an interactive AI which players can talk to by typing down their own input, similar to how Kickbot functions currently such as "where/when is Baro", "what is eximus" and "Where/how to get/find insert item" or for a more action involved interaction type "nezha is a trap"

You can probably already tell where I'm going with this, Ordis will be a tutorial + codex + story guide in disguise with some non-combat companionship on the side to help newer players (or even old players when it comes to new content) progress through the star chart or as a way to pass time in more monotonous missions, the potential is limitless depending on how DE choose implement this.

Most important part: for new players it could serve as a story guide when some 'next step' guidance is needed but lacking the resource to be made into cinematic or voice acting, it can be used to fill that gap in between quests, to provide a solid sense of story progression which warframe lacks early on while also make the world more engaging as the player interact with the character (Ordis) via their own words albeit limited by context, the pros of this method is that:

• an system like this already exist. and for quite a long time.
  • Ordis can now actually be a useful ship AI, instead of a noise machine. (on the side note, we need more characters that are impactful, so the game feel less barren)
  • (very) not resource intensive on DE when compared to other parts of the game.
  • very expandable once implemented.
  • There's already a demand for such a system (since forever), alt-tab wiki and youtube for eg, and is well received (kickbot).
  • people have no problem with text personality, in fact they love it, red text & fortuna ARG.
  • does not interrupt players, but also can be easily hidden by those who dislike it completely.
  • Ordis can provide story and lore for those who're more story driven.
  • remains useful outside of quests, displays only information that players are interested in, and easily accessible.

Keep in mind, I don't mean adding a chat tab which ordis can spew random comments non-stop until they repeats, but a more helpful exchange of information, here's some example aside from kickbot's already existing command:

Spoiler

Ordis chat accessible in mission is firstly a huge plus especially in longer mission, defense, survival, freeroam etc...

------------------

p-"foundry progress"

o-"you have 53 items ready to claim operator.

[forma] is at 12%.

[Rhino] is at 81%.

[Ceno Helmet] is at 56%." ( have them displayed in actual minutes would probably be better)

------------------

p-"Cetus time"

o-"It's currently Dawn at Cetus, 3 more minutes till night"

------------------

p-"Mark fortuna"

o-"Operator, perhaps we should get to Venus first / Can you see my mark YOU LAZY PIECE O*backspace* operator?"

------------------

p-"what drops in this area?"

o-"Operator? Ordis don't think anything 'drops' in the orbiter OTHER THAN YOUR INT*backspace*  / You're on Eris operator.

[Nano Spores][Plastids][Neurodes][Mutage Samples]

can be found here."

-----------------

p-"[Vermillion storm][Melee Riven Mod]"

o- no comment. If players want to dump item links to check without bothering squad/clan/regional etc they can do it here.

----------------

p-"warframe attachments.""darvo's deal""where is my mom""how to get kavats""remaining focus""more about lephantis""how to fight Teralyst""what is viral"

there are much more useful commands that I can list, but you get the idea, and you probably already have a few in mind. The thing is, it's could be a easy and effective tool for devs to help the players, and because it requires active input of commands it doesn't dumps the player a mountain of information that they might not need or interested. Best part is that they're better than skippable voice-lines, and are always there.

Sorry for not writting down much of 'early-game' ordis lines, my writing skill sucks, but it should go something like this:

Spoiler

*first post-tutorial mission*

o-"operator, are you there?"

p-"*anything*" (if ignored o-"oh no, ordis is about to be abandoned again. please do something if you can hear ordis operator.")

o-"what a relief! ORDAN*backspace* Ordis was so worried about you.

Ordis is using the ship's comm-module to contact you in-mission, can Ordis be of any assistance?

Ordis didn't distract the operator did he?" .....

----------------

o-"You did it operator! You defeated ADMIRAL*backspace* Captain Vor! Ordis is so proud of the operator.

Traces of another warframe was found on Venus, Ordis can take us there, but there are enemies blocking the path, I'm sure the operator can handle them/ ...hold on operator, it appears the Lotus still have missions for us here, would you like to see them now?"

p-"take me to Venus"

o-"of course operator, Ordis will save the missions for later /

the shortest path to the Venus junction is insert node insert node insert node.

Navigation is ready whenever the operator wishes to begin"

---------------

p-"What is a warframe?"

o-"Why, they're you operator."

p-"wtf / what do you mean."

o-"DATA BLOCKED*backspace* Ordis is afraid it doesn't fully understand either, the Lotus blocked part of my data, I'm sure she'll explain it to Ordis and the operator later"

etc

Considering Lotus went *SPOILER* on us, it makes sense to have Ordis have a larger role into the story, even if ignoring reasons listed above.

Sorry for the long post. (also sorry if it sounded stupid... I thought it'd be pretty interesting, unique and suiting for warframe currently gameplay and story wise), I mean even if ignoring everything, it's still good as a simple bot-chat similar to those warframe discord bot, without needing to alt-tab.

Edited by Showerwalker

Great idea! 

I had a hard time when I was a new player, trying to understand what was happening and how to do things.

Eventually, it made me quit the game, it was just too much.

1 Year later I'm back to the game (Joined a friend fresh starting) - And now we have a better understanding of the game. But it takes (like you said) a lot of ALT+TAB.

I vote for ordis as in-game assistant rather than a noise machine (i love ordis tho :) awesome character)

GIVE THIS MAN AN AWARD.

I do think that it's going to take a little more time for DE to achieve at second glance. It'll be a worthy and cost-effective addition, yes, but it is going to delay some things even without voicelines. (Although I personally believe voicelines for more common sayings would be the best experience ever) It's not really going to bring in money from established players, so DE would probably need to find an optimal time begin developing between major content drops.

But hands down, this would be an incredible addition to the game that could EASILY bring in waves of new players. That means more revenue and exposure, which DE can justify spending time towards. With all the community hype around every new big content addition to the game, I see so many people giving warframe a try again. Friends that I'd never think would like the game decide to give it a spin, only to be turned off by the sheer information overload and uncertainty of progression. It's not even the grind that's turning them away. Having a character interact so personally with the player and give guidance would pretty much single-handedly solve the majority of problems for newcomers.

14 hours ago, Disruptis said:

GIVE THIS MAN AN AWARD.

I do think that it's going to take a little more time for DE to achieve at second glance. It'll be a worthy and cost-effective addition, yes, but it is going to delay some things even without voicelines. (Although I personally believe voicelines for more common sayings would be the best experience ever) It's not really going to bring in money from established players, so DE would probably need to find an optimal time begin developing between major content drops.

But hands down, this would be an incredible addition to the game that could EASILY bring in waves of new players. That means more revenue and exposure, which DE can justify spending time towards. With all the community hype around every new big content addition to the game, I see so many people giving warframe a try again. Friends that I'd never think would like the game decide to give it a spin, only to be turned off by the sheer information overload and uncertainty of progression. It's not even the grind that's turning them away. Having a character interact so personally with the player and give guidance would pretty much single-handedly solve the majority of problems for newcomers.

thanks man!