Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Question

(XBOX)TJC569

If I am a male operator/tenno and "piloting" a female Warframe, is it appropriate to address the Warframe as he or she? Or is the Warframe an "it" and you would address the operator by their gender?

Sorry, this came up during a drunken discussion last night while playing and interesting to see what the community thinks. 

4 minutes ago, (XB1)TJC569 said:

If I am a male operator/tenno and "piloting" a female Warframe, is it appropriate to address the Warframe as he or she? Or is the Warframe an "it" and you would address the operator by their gender?

Sorry, this came up during a drunken discussion last night while playing and interesting to see what the community thinks. 

Does really matter truly. Usually in group conversation people address each other by Frame name (unless your with friends of course), so I'd say probably safe to use the gender of the frame since they all have designated genders 🙂

1 minute ago, Zyneris said:

Does really matter truly. Usually in group conversation people address each other by Frame name (unless your with friends of course), so I'd say probably safe to use the gender of the frame since they all have designated genders 🙂

It was more a lore thing, I think my friend and I were talking about how some random person in Cetus would address the Warframe walking around shopping.

Just now, (XB1)TJC569 said:

It was more a lore thing, I think my friend and I were talking about how some random person in Cetus would address the Warframe walking around shopping.

Oh! Well probably would be 'IT' since you can hear them talking when they see your frame and they usually say 'Tenno'. Same with Ordis, Lotus, and any other figure who has spoken to you. You're always referred to as 'Tenno' or 'Operator', which is probably a gender neutral word (assuming that the people of this system have always known that your frame is a simple machine with a person in it).

2 minutes ago, (XB1)TJC569 said:

I'm with Zyneris: "Ho, Rhino!" or "Nice color choice, Saryn." If you're speaking to the Operator, it would be "Hey, Tenno!"

I always answered this question with another one: Does a statue have a gender? If we're being pedantic (which I am), the answer is "No, it merely depicts one."

I see warframes the same way. They're equal parts war machine and art piece, made in the likeness of the human form without truly taking it.

Umbra, of course, is a special case. It's explicitly noted that he is an aberration among warframes in that he has his own personality and will.

3 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Umbra, of course, is a special case. It's explicitly noted that he is an aberration among warframes in that he has his own personality and will.

Ehhhh, Umbra is a special case, yes, but that's because of what he was created for and the specific things involved with his creation. The lore around The Sacrifice shows that (spoiler for reasons):

Spoiler

Every Prime frame was created from an individual with personality and will. The Mirage Prime trailer even shows that they were able to twist the intended design of their frame to their own personality type.

The frames we create in general are clones of the results, which is why they haven't got the same stats or materials.

So it's actually entirely possible that we could perform the same process of 'reversing' the Transference to experience their memories and even possibly awaken the frames in the same way.

Not likely, but possible.

So, yeah, all Warframes technically do have base genders, and the Wiki has them all listed out accurately to DE's designations.

As to the original topic, the answer is simple; your character is the gender you prescribe it, that does not change while controlling a Warframe. You are piggy-backing your mind into their body, that does not change your own identity, nor theirs.

You and the Warframe cooperate, but are innately not the same thing.

1 hour ago, (XB1)TJC569 said:

All of mine are male.  Just some are effeminate and have moobs. 

The Warframes are clones of people who had specific genders. Excalibur Umbra was a guy, for example, he was someone's father. And when we close him as part of the quest the clone still retains all of his memories, so the Umbra you actually get to keep is clearly still a guy

I see no reason to assume this doesn't hold true for other Warrames

As for what happens to Excalibur Umbra when a female Operator uses Transference, well, that's a partnership. That's a plural. That is a "they", because it's two people

what the floofs? you really cant distinguish something as simple as gender? what are they teaching these kids nowdays? seriously

if warframe is a male, then its a he, if the warframe is a female is a she, if the warframe is nezha you get a one week ban

if your operator is a female with a femenine voice is a she

if your operator is a male with a male voice is a he

if your operator is a male with a femenine voice its still a he, but with high pitch voice

if your operator is a female with a male voice, its a she, but with a deep voice

so if your operator is inside a warframe, you refer to the gender you know at the moment (the warframe's gender since its the first you notice), then if you know what gender the operator is you use the operator's gender, not the warframe's gender

1 hour ago, VentiGlondi said:

If I'm a male driver and "piloting" a car is ut appropriate to address the car as he

This is actually a reall good analogy. But better yet:

If you're a guy, and you're riding a horse. You'd not address the horse as your gender because the horse has its own gender. 

If the horse is a female, and you're a guy, then the two are separate. 

In warframe, all the frames used to be real people. Orokin soldiers or civilians that where captured for whatever reason, tortured horrifically and make into a frame. The Tenno then pilot that frame with void Magic

Thus, Mirage is a female, but your Tenno can be a male. They're separate things.. 

his came up during a drunken discussion last night

you should probably lay off the sauce then lol. it did wonders for me: lost a ton of weight and never felt better!

for realsies, just go by frame gender only, it's not like you have to worry about a Valkyr ripping your face off because you assumed wrong.

I just wanna chime in here and say that you should not call people an 'it' and while maybe Warframes are different, it's still extremely offensive if you happen to see a player and you call them that (and I would be completely unsurprised if you got banned for it lol)

Edited by LadyUnd34d

hace 3 minutos, LadyUnd34d dijo:

I just wanna chime in here and say that you should not call people an 'it' and while maybe Warframes are different, it's still extremely offensive if you happen to see a player and you call them that (and I would be completely unsurprised if you got banned for it lol)

Wait wut?

"OMG HE CALLED ME IT,I AM SO OFFENDED!!!"

How can you agree to ban people for that.

Edited by Bombarder0

4 minutes ago, Bombarder0 said:

Wait wut?

"OMG HE CALLED ME IT,I AM SO OFFENDED!!!"

How can you agree to ban people for that.

Because if you refer to people as an inanimate object I mean, that's kind of disgusting? Like I mean this whole thread I feel is representative of like a kindergartner's understanding of gender to begin with so lol

hace 15 minutos, LadyUnd34d dijo:

Because if you refer to people as an inanimate object I mean, that's kind of disgusting? Like I mean this whole thread I feel is representative of like a kindergartner's understanding of gender to begin with so lol

The problem with your comment is that you agree with people getting banned for calling an Online player "it",which has led to a lot of problems,just look at region chat.

Could just call them 'it'. With the exception for starter frame we chose, the rest of them we built from foundry. The lore from The Sacrifice only tell how it was made at the beginning, unless we saying that operator are some sick people that kidnap random human and inject them with the 'special' serum and presto! Then why in the blazes we need to farm the blueprint and resources anyway?