Future direction for Warframe on Nintendo Switch?

imax9000

Hi DE,

First of all, thank you and congratulations for launching soon on Nintendo Switch! I think Switch and Warframe are a good fit for each other and gameplay will be very enjoyable.

I'm slightly sad though about the lack of cross-play and cross-progression with PC, as the perfect setup for me would be to play on PC most of the time and use Switch whenever I'm not at home to snatch that Corrosive ProjectionNitain Extract alert 🙂

I understand that it's not a trivial matter to support such configuration, but perhaps you could help us manage our expectations? Can you comment on whether you still have an internal effort going to bring cross-play and/or cross-progression between Switch and PC? Or you've hit a roadblock and moved on to bring us more content?

1 minute ago, thatimax said:

I'm slightly sad though about the lack of cross-play and cross-progression with PC, as the perfect setup for me would be to play on PC most of the time and use Switch whenever I'm not at home to snatch that Corrosive ProjectionNitain Extract alert 🙂

First of all: Has the handheld Switch-Mod an internet-connection? If not, this whole plan wouldn't work.
Second: You can do that if you play on the Switch. Play on the Switch at home, play on the Switch on the go (granted you can connect to the internet with the handheld)

3 minutes ago, thatimax said:

I understand that it's not a trivial matter to support such configuration, but perhaps you could help us manage our expectations? Can you comment on whether you still have an internal effort going to bring cross-play and/or cross-progression between Switch and PC? Or you've hit a roadblock and moved on to bring us more content?

The Switch-Version isn't even made by DE. DE provides the updates, but another company makes the port for the Switch. And then Nintendo has to certify the Patch.
How would the do cross-play/progress? This whole process takes even more time than the other console's updates. And even with Xbox/PS4 there is no cross-play, because they can't sync-up the updates.

Just think about that:
Whenever there is an update, PC-players test that update and report to DE. DE is able to fix these bugs within a few days.
If there were cross-play/progress, the platforms would need updates at the same time. So we would have to live with annoying bugs until the console-version was ready.
Imagine there was a bug that stops you from playing. You can't log into the game.
DE would like to fix that for you as soon as possible, but they can't because then the cross-play/progress wouldn't work anymore. So they wait with the fix. The wait could be multiple weeks. You then couldn't play for multiple weeks.
Sounds great, doesn't it?

But yeah, cross-play/progress really needs to happen. The game is nothing without it. The game is basically dead and the only thing to save the game is cross-play/progress...

14 minutes ago, thatimax said:

Hi DE,

First of all, thank you and congratulations for launching soon on Nintendo Switch! I think Switch and Warframe are a good fit for each other and gameplay will be very enjoyable.

Did they make any promises/make indications that they were planning it..?

10 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

Did they make any promises/make indications that they were planning it..?

I've seen response along the lines of "we're exploring possible options" a few times. But yeah, the lack of definitive answer is basically why I'm asking and in such a form.

20 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

First of all: Has the handheld Switch-Mod an internet-connection? If not, this whole plan wouldn't work.

Yes it does. I'm playing Diablo 3 in handheld mode with friends just fine.

21 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

The Switch-Version isn't even made by DE. DE provides the updates, but another company makes the port for the Switch. And then Nintendo has to certify the Patch.
How would the do cross-play/progress? This whole process takes even more time than the other console's updates. And even with Xbox/PS4 there is no cross-play, because they can't sync-up the updates.

Just think about that:
Whenever there is an update, PC-players test that update and report to DE. DE is able to fix these bugs within a few days.
If there were cross-play/progress, the platforms would need updates at the same time. So we would have to live with annoying bugs until the console-version was ready.
Imagine there was a bug that stops you from playing. You can't log into the game.
DE would like to fix that for you as soon as possible, but they can't because then the cross-play/progress wouldn't work anymore. So they wait with the fix. The wait could be multiple weeks. You then couldn't play for multiple weeks.
Sounds great, doesn't it?

I don't know how exactly the release process for Switch looks like, but I imagine it's theoretically possible to arrange with Nintendo a setup that would allow quick updates. But even if that's not the case, there's still an option of graceful degradation: content not released on Switch is inaccessible when playing on that platform, but everything else works just fine. Again, I'm not saying that any of this is a trivial matter.