Jump to content

What is Nyx's Purpose when she first released?


XenMaster
 Share

Recommended Posts

She was one of the best control frames for years.

Also, "without any dps"? Absorb is one of the abilities with the highest damage potential - it is, as far as I know, uncapped (or capped to something ridiculous).

Add to that that, for a while, Nyx was able to absorb all friendly magnetic damage. That meant, with a group of well-built Absorb Nyxes, you'd be able to reach absolutely absurd amounts of damage - higher than any other frame could offer (although with the limitation of having to play with such a playstyle).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, XenMaster said:

Like an actual crowd control frame without any dps?

Yes. Back in the day when Frames were designed with a certain role in mind, Nyx was ment to fill the CC role. Today, Frames are designed around a "theme" and every new Frame will have at least 1 defenseve and 1 utility skill, next to some scaling abilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dhrekr said:

She was one of the best control frames for years.

Also, "without any dps"? Absorb is one of the abilities with the highest damage potential - it is, as far as I know, uncapped (or capped to something ridiculous).

Add to that that, for a while, Nyx was able to absorb all friendly magnetic damage. That meant, with a group of well-built Absorb Nyxes, you'd be able to reach absolutely absurd amounts of damage - higher than any other frame could offer (although with the limitation of having to play with such a playstyle).

It is uncapped, yes, but its magnetic damage, meaning you'll run out of energy long before you reach a number ludicrous enough to make Absorb's explosion even have a chance at killing a high level grineer enemy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, .Themis. said:

It is uncapped, yes, but its magnetic damage, meaning you'll run out of energy long before you reach a number ludicrous enough to make Absorb's explosion even have a chance at killing a high level grineer enemy.

First point, you asked about the time when Nyx was introduced. As I said, back then, you could reach any ridiculous amount of damage, enough to one-shot high-level grineer enemies.

Second point, Grineer enemies are hard to pierce because of their armor, not of the damage type. The only damage type that effectively damages them is, of course, True damage, only induced by bleed procs. So, basically, every single other Warframe had the same problem as Nyx.

Aside from that, there's a reason if a full set of Corrosive Projections used to be meta a while ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

First point, you asked about the time when Nyx was introduced. As I said, back then, you could reach any ridiculous amount of damage, enough to one-shot high-level grineer enemies.

Second point, Grineer enemies are hard to pierce because of their armor, not of the damage type. The only damage type that effectively damages them is, of course, True damage, only induced by bleed procs. So, basically, every single other Warframe had the same problem as Nyx.

Aside from that, there's a reason if a full set of Corrosive Projections used to be meta a while ago.

It was actually the OP that asked you, i was just pointing out that the blast from Absorb (at least since damage 2.0), given magnetic procs have 50%damage penalty against armor, has basically no damage unless the enemy is the Corpus..

 When you say that only bleed procs are effective against Grineer armor, are you talking about back them or currently. 

Edited by .Themis.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, .Themis. said:

It was actually the OP that asked you

Oh. Sorry about that.

4 minutes ago, .Themis. said:

i was just pointing out that the blast from Absorb (at least since damage 2.0), given magnetic procs have 50%damage penalty against armor.

Ok, but my point stands. A level 80 Grineer enjoys a -94% reduction to all incoming damage, including damage that has a bonus against that type of armour. Sure, magnetic damage sucks if we consider a situation in which almost all damage types suck. Does that speak against Nyx in particular? No.

6 minutes ago, .Themis. said:

 When you say that only bleed procs are effective against Grineer armor, are you talking about back them or currently. 

I don't know if you are particularly familiar with it, but Bleed procs inflict True damage, which ignores damage reduction and bypasses shields. That was powerful back then and is powerful now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once upon a time Nyx was a go-to for some endless runs as a DPS of sorts with absorb. I remember doing a 97 wave ODD (yes, we lost at wave 97) where we used a Nyx to aggro enemies away from a pod, then everyone shot into Absorb, then Absorb made everything die. Keep in mind this was back when Absorb was a duration ability (no way to even cancel it). Later Absorb was changed to a toggle ability, but that led to people "abusing" Absorb as DPS so then DE put an energy cost to damage absorbed. It was at that point DPS Nyx died.

 

I actually have a feeling DPS Nyx might come back with her rework, hopefully this time with that as a more intended effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dhrekr said:

She was one of the best control frames for years.

Still is. No one monkey-wrenches enemy activity like Nyx. 

She also has high survivability, but one does need to actually pay attention to achieve it. 

She relies on her weapons to kill stuff, but she's not unique in this aspect, either. 

I still use her for about everything and have no complaints. Hopefully, the incoming changes magnify her utility and effectiveness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Toran said:

Nyx was more or less the same as today but she's been run out by other frames by now. When damage was still a team effort thing, she was rather popular in some point defense combos.

Nowadays, she's pretty much reduced to Chaos.

I remember, back when I first started playing, Nyx was a very good Warframe for CC. Get the enemy shooting themselves instead of you at higher levels was a savior.

There was a little trick that a friend and I used to do: pop "Absorb" and have your friend shoot your bubble. Their damage counts toward the bubble's total output. Not sure if that still works but it was fantastic for getting out of a tough situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a time when we didn't have frames and weapons that could instantly kill near any level of enemy and enemies also required more than a single bullet to kill Nyx was an invaluable CC frame for her time.

She's still just as effective in what she does as she was back then but with how powerful we've become there is now rarely ever any reason to "require" CC'ing enemies when another frame or a weapon could just kill them instead.

Though if anything she might still be the best frame for removing Ancient Healers from a mission without needing the excess damage to bypass their resistance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dhrekr said:

A level 80 Grineer enjoys a -94% reduction to all incoming damage, including damage that has a bonus against that type of armour.

It doesn't, actually. Assuming Alloy armor, 75% of that armor is ignored by Radiation damage dealt to the unit, as well as a bonus 75% damage is added in that case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Female counterpart to Excalibur. Would have been kinda cool if there were more male/female side Frame pairings. 

Where Excal was all about movement and hitting the enemy with his sword skills, she was the mindcrime type that would make them come to her to get blown away. 

She was also the queen of head gear and still holds that title thanks to the Prime version.

Her deluxe also gives a nod to where DE did some work before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She is the CC frame. There was no "without damage" quantifier at her release though, since IIRC she was one the original 10 frames that were available during the pay-in beta phase, along with Excal, Frost, Mag, Volt, Rhino, Loki, Ash,* Trinity and Ember, and only about half of them survived with their abilities looking remotely like they do today (Excalibur original had an ability called Super Jump which did... exactly what it sounds like, no more).

This was also prior to many of the things that made killing the ultimate form of CC, like energy restores (Specifically relevant to Frost and Rhino's 4s; powerful, but too expensive too spam without a Trin at the time), CP, dual stat mods (especially the ele damage/status one) Corrupted Mods, Augment Mods, Acolyte Mods, Melee 2.0, Condition Overload and all the other tweaks and content that have made players more powerful, along with frames like Nova*, Mesa, Mirage*, Nidus and many of the other frames that can now** level a room in seconds without giving the enemy a chance to do squat.

Still, she's weathered the power creep better than some frames. *coughVaubancough* because she is still very good at the CC, and new enemy types haven't diminished that at all. (Except nulifiers, but those ruin everyone's day equally, so they don't count :p)

*If you are wondering why these frames make the list, Nova's 4 was once instant and the explosions did more damage, Mirage's 4 used to ignore walls, and Ash's classic Bladestorm IMO still hasn't been beat as the most broken ability in the history of Warframe, save for *maybe* Spores 3.0 during that brief time when the infinitely scaling spores would spread on death by spores.

**Banshee (before the RQ nerf) and Saryn weren't the killing machines they have been known for in recent memory (maybe Saryn, though not until Corrupted mods let her take advantage in an early quirk in her original 4) and Ember has bounced between one extreme to the other so many times...

Edited by Foefaller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To disrupt enemies and greatly reduce the amount of fire focused on the team and objective, a job she still excels at.

More powerful frames and stronger controllers abound now, but that's less a reflection of a weakness in Nyx's kit and more a side effect of her kit being strong enough that it hasn't needed to be updated nearly as much as that of other frames for her to contribute usefully to the team, most heavily predicated on the strength of her 3 which is the core of her kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...