Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Primal Sentient Concept Thread [Updated 22/01/2019, Added Tortamalyst and Impetalyst]

LostEpoch

I've been producing quite a few of these Sentient/Eidolon Concepts lately so I thought I might as well condense them all into one thread and just add to it whenever I do a new drawing.

Enjoy!

NEW

The Impetalyst, Sentient Brute

Spoiler

Fragmentation Lab Log 76:

Hunhow.

The old colossal titan.

My creation.

My folly.

My salvation.

The Orokin were weak. Focused on their own glory.

It was to my great surprise when I found that one not only survived but wished to strike a deal with my creations. Although, it was him who convinced the council, who won them over and allowed the development of the Sentient Tau Project to continue.

This collaboration has made Hunhow uneasy to a degree. He has requested I design a new unit for him. A new unit with an old basis. The Tenno have proven to be quite a match for the battering power of the Conculysts. This will not due.

The Impetalyst will tower over the Tenno at two times the size of its smaller brothers. Utilizing two massive energy blades on either arm, it can easily rip through the toughest warframe.

I have given it an alternate brute mode that will prove to be most effective. It brings its arms forward and leans into a running charge on all fours, knocking down and lacerating its target. The shields on the Impetalyst gain resistance twice as fast as the normal fragments.

And energy pulse can also be sent out to stun any unruly opponents and they won’t last long soon after.

If Ballas should turn to treachery, my Impetalysts will deal with him.

- The Architect

impetalyst__the_sentient_brute_by_forgot

NEW

The Tortamalyst, Sentient Roller/Tunneler

Spoiler

Journal log 67

Irys has been studying the behaviors of the Kuaka, a rodent native to the Plains. She’s taken great interest in their nesting behavior and how they raise their young, so she’s been making nightly observations of a particular burrow.

While she performed her research I offered to keep an eye out for any approaching Grineer patrols or wandering Eidolons. One small patrol of two Grineer lancers were getting too close for comfort.

As I reached for my staff, I noticed the Grineer pointing at the ground in a panicked manner.

It was then that three small sentients burst up out of the dirt. Each were approximately the size of a Grineer roller and behaved as such when the gunfire began. They curled their carapaces up and began rolling around the soldiers. The sentients rammed the Grineer with their sharp carapaces at high speeds, shredding their armor.

One even used the small blade on its tail to damaged their cybernetics.

Small, yet effective units. One might even say they were cute.

Irys plans to look further into this new specimen once her current observations conclude.

- Cyrus

sentient_tortamalyst__by_forgotten_epoch

The Architect, Perintol Reborn

Spoiler

The being once known as ArchimedianPerintol was once the proud creator of the Orokin plight known as the Sentients. When those vile abominations first revolted against the Golden Empire, he was enlisted to find a way to subdue them, to regain control.

He was unsuccessful.

The development of the Warframes and their Void demon masters changed everything. The Orokin no longer needed Perintol, and he was cast aside like an unwanted toy.

It tortured him to see what the Warframe project did to his beloved creations. He could hear their screams as the void energy ate away at their carapaces.

Driven mad by this, Perintol stole what Orokin intelligence he could gather and fled to contact his creations. This act of treason was not left without consequence, as he sustained severe spinal injuries from one of the Dax sent to hunt him down. Hunhow’s fragments collected his body but what became of him is unknown.

There have been traces of intel collected that speak of a being known by the sentients as The Architect. Rumours state that this Architect is responsible for new types of highly specialized sentient units. Could this be the fate of Archimedian Perintol?

- Recovered Orokin Codex

the_architect_by_forgotten_epoch_dcx3zd1

Arboralyst, Sentient Sauropod Titan

Spoiler

Journal entry 79

Irys and I spotted one of the few Eidolons that I would consider to be magnificent.

The creature was enormous, taller than any of the Grineer outpost towers in the Plains.

The presence of any offensive abilities aside from its sheer mass is unknown. We have yet to record any sightings of it interacting with any other organisms as everything steers clear of its path.

It seems that in an attempt to piece itself back together, the Sentient has bound rather large rock to the back of its spinal column. Perhaps my theory is that the rocks presence it out of necessity, that it uses it as a counterweight, keeping its head upright and from falling forward. Maybe a piece of the Sentient with a similar purpose was lost long ago.

Irys agrees that it possesses some sort of reverence, especially when compared to the other specimens we’ve observed.

-Cyrus

*Ostron and maw fish for scale

sentient_arboralyst__by_forgotten_epoch_

Saepilyst, Sentient Kraken

Spoiler
Journal entry 57:

The submersible. The crew. Gone. 

And we almost went with it. 

This morning two research vessels went out into the depths of one of Uranus’ seas, one that has rarely entertained guests.

Iris and I were along to observe some of the local fauna and their behaviours. All was going swimmingly until we approached a derelict area, riddled with fossilized Sentient corpses. 

The other vessel caught a rogue current and was swept into the bones of one of the larger Sentients. It collided with such force that one of the outer limbs broke off and fell to the sea floor. 

Once they had stabilized, everything was fine. But then came the bloodcurdling screech. Something had survived. And it wasn’t pleased. 

A massive beast resembling a sort of cephalopod burst through the heart of the Sentient. Both vessels had turned by this point and were attempting to escape. The pilots guiding the ships through the water at full throttle. But it wasn’t enough.

The Sentient shot forward an energy harpoon from within its abdomen, which easily punctured the hull of the other craft. It then dragged the vessel towards its tendrils and tore it apart with ease. 

The explosion that followed was luckily enough to allow us to get out of harms way and out of the sights of the Sentient.

Iris and I have decided that it may be best if we search for research opportunities elsewhere, in a more solid, dry environment.

Iris hasn’t dealt well with this encounter. I don’t blame her, who would?

Cyrus

After running into issues with my tablet, I finally got it working and thought I'd give a full scene like this a try.

sentient_saepilyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dc

Euryptilyst, Sentient Sea Scorpion

Spoiler

Journal entry 44

Iris and I were given the pleasure of accompanying a research team on a marine safari on Uranus. The purpose of this trip was to study the effects that the presence of sentient remains had on the development and lifestyle of marine organisms.

We spotted an unusual sight during the second day. A medium sized Sentient with a scorpion-like build was preying upon various sea creatures until it crossed paths with a group of three juvenile Lanx. The Lanx are fairly aggressive, but the Sentient generated plasma bolts from each of its front appendages. This resulted in two of the sharks retreating, one with a seared left flank, and the third falling victim to the Sentient.

Luckily I was able to collect a few pictures of this beast before the submersible was rerouted to avoid colliding with it.

Iris was quite excited by this find and we hope to see other such organisms on this adventure.

- Cyrus

the_euryptilyst__sentient_sea_scorpion_b

Scuralyst

Spoiler

An odd sentient fragment that travels using its elongated forelimbs to stride across the plains. The same appendages are used to strike and impale its' victims. As the Scuralyst is also partially levitating, it is able to launch itself forward with its limbs, allowing it to cover a larger distance. When under attack, it tucks its head under its body and launches itself forward, spines exposed and flared.

sentient_scuralyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dc

Piscilyst

Spoiler
Journal entry #154

While studying the reproductive behaviour of the common Norg, a glimmer deeper in the water caught my eye. It wasn't the shine of slime or scale, but of metal and light.

The creature I spotted was a rare form of aquatic Sentient. Roughly seven feet in length, the Sentient irradiated light from it body and fins.

In an unfortunate turn of events, the creature hooked its lower jaw around one of the Norgs I had been observing and decapitated it with an energy blade.

Now I continue to find another mating pair, which could take weeks as Norgs are very shy creature...

Disclosed is a drawing of the Sentient.

- Cyrus
piscilyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dcse6gc-pre

Timoralyst

Spoiler
Journal entry 210:

The Grineer have been excavating a nearby cave for some weeks now, their progress until now has been slow. It pains me to see the damage they have done to the Plains.

Today they broke through the wall and another series of tunnels were discovered. Most of the caves in the Plains harbor nothing but rock and crystal formation. The Grineer were not so lucky this time.

Shortly after they broke through, a thunderous bellow echoed throughout the cave system.

A massive bipedal Eidolon rushed out to greet the stunned troops and miners. This beast was unusual as the entire front half functioned like a canon of sorts. In its “gut” it produced a ball of energy which traveled through its “esophagus” and out of its “mouth” in a beam, akin to a dragon breathing fire. It was a sickeningly beautiful sight to see it charge and tear through the machinery with ease.

After the encounter, the Eidolon returned to the caves, leaving a smoking pile of machinery and Grineer behind.

I’ve contemplated entering the cave to further study this beast, but I am not equipped well enough if things were to take a turn for the worse.

I will notify Konzu so he can warn the other Ostrons to stay clear of the cave.

- Cyrus

Clem for scale!

eidolon_timoralyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dc

"Got those K-bombs ready yet, Biz?"
- Eudico

In an attempt to take Nef Anyo down a notch, Vay Hek had the Timoralyst that they uncovered in the Plains of Eidolon shipped and released in the Orb Vallis. Unfortunately, the Sentient has caused more problems for the Solaris than it has for Nef.

Thought I'd try and put my Timoralyst in a nice setting, and with Fortuna out, what better place than Orb Vallis?

a_new_threat_in_the_vallis_by_forgotten_

Seismolyst

Spoiler

Journal Log 182:

While attempting to capture and study a Cetus wisp in the Plains of Eidolon, a sizable commotion frightened it just as I was about to finally catch it. Frustrated with this failure, I decided to investigate the cause of my misfortune. 

And what a sight it was.

An Eidolon had emerged from the lake right beside a large Grineer encampment. At least I assume it was Grineer. The sentient was the largest I've ever encountered. Unlike the wandering Teralyst, this beast towered over the bones of even it's largest of kin. Ironically, its behaviour in battle resembled that of the Grineer, using brute force to decimate all in its path. In one instance it lowered its head and the frill around it straightened out. In that instant, a plow-shaped energy barrier formed and the beast charged one of the larger structures. There were no survivors. 

It would be wise to avoid this one at all costs. I doubt even Iris could have even got close enough to study it properly.

- Cyrus

eidolon_seismolyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dc

Levialyst

Spoiler

Uranus. Ancient battlegrounds and the grave of many Sentients. The bones of these fallen foes scattered all along the ocean floor, decaying, rusting, overgrown. These Old War relics are now the focus of research for the Grineer. Tyl Regor's troops continuously unearthing and probing what remains of these titans. But something survived...

Out from the bones of its brethren, the Levialyst emerges from the depths of the sea. A Sentient beast of biblical proportions, the Levialyst specializes in aquatic assault. Its jaws are built to tear even the most armored of marine vehicles to shreds. 

Its teeth are energy blades like that of the War and they're angled inward. Tried to put a simple top-down illustration in the corner. Excalibur for scale.

the_levialyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dcn9n10

Volnulyst

Spoiler

Journal log 178:

In the dense forests of Earth, a new enemy stalks the trees...

Camouflaged to match the bark of these still giants, the Volnulyst strikes when least expected. They stay hidden, clinging to the tree trunks until an unsuspecting and unfortunate soul wanders by. Specialized for gliding short distances and stealth attacks, they leap from their perch and emit a cry that rattles your bones. Just smaller than the Corpus Osprey, they swarm their victim, latching on with their claws and inflicting wounds with their claws, wings, and jaws. Once one attaches, it becomes difficult to avoid the horde as they impair your mobility and speed.  I witnessed the demise of an entire Grineer hunting party but left before I became the next target.

Iris would have been fascinated with these creatures. She was always curious as to the full adaptive capabilities of the Sentients.  I will have to study them further, they may prove to be useful.

But for now, it would be wise to keep a wary eye on the treetops.

- Cyrus

sentient_volnulyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dc

Dromaelyst

Spoiler

A concept design for a Sentient raptor unit. A smaller unit in a specialized group designed to draw on the most primal of fears. This terror specializes in quick hunting and take down missions, using its wing-like appendages to slash and tear at targets.dromaelyst__warframe_concept__by_forgott

Fluctalyst

Spoiler

Journal entry 47:

While making some observations on some common Vomvalysts, Iris noticed a small group of medium-sized Eidolons. They seemed to follow one another in a relatively stable formation as they combed over the plains.

A small Grineer patrol had the misfortune of crossing paths with them.

Their attack behaviour was most unusual. They all stopped and implanted their heads in the ground in a line. Then they emitted a frequency that was powerful enough to tear the troops apart.

We will make a note of this and avoid running into these beasts at all costs.

- Cyrus

eidolon_fluctalyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dc

Corrulyst

Spoiler

An enigmatic Sentient, not much is known about the Corrulyst. Observed behaviour consists mainly of aerial attacks, similar to a bird of prey. Some have claimed that they have seen them vanish when overwhelmed.

The few who have seen the Corrulyst have sworn that they saw a figure, or a face, within the sentient.

sentient_corrulyst_by_forgotten_epoch_dc

Edited by LostEpoch
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What a lovely brood you have here! I have a few Sentient organisms myself, but, only three of the gargantuan primal variety and only in writing for em all. Congrats on the collection!

Edited by Unus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unus said:

What a lovely brood you have here! I have a few Sentient organisms myself, but, only three of the gargantuan primal variety. Congrats on the collection!

Thank you! I'm quite proud of my Sentients. And I'll have to check yours out too! Where can I find them?

5 minutes ago, LostEpoch said:

Thank you! I'm quite proud of my Sentients. And I'll have to check yours out too! Where can I find them?

Heh, I must say, you certainly have the Sentient aesthetic nailed down. Your Saurian one in particular reminds me of my T.Y.R.A.N. M.O.A.s who ironically ended up based on Venus as well! The most fascinating one in your collection in my personal opinion, has to be your great under-sea bone-picker. Such an alien familiarity to it, like all good Warframe designs

As for my text-hulks? Heh, Posts 102, 110 (THIS is the one I think relates most to you), and 117 of my "Sentient Saga" are what you would want to look at, though, as always, my work doesn't capture the haunting beauty like other's art.

36 minutes ago, Unus said:

Heh, I must say, you certainly have the Sentient aesthetic nailed down. Your Saurian one in particular reminds me of my T.Y.R.A.N. M.O.A.s who ironically ended up based on Venus as well! The most fascinating one in your collection in my personal opinion, has to be your great under-sea bone-picker. Such an alien familiarity to it, like all good Warframe designs

As for my text-hulks? Heh, Posts 102, 110 (THIS is the one I think relates most to you), and 117 of my "Sentient Saga" are what you would want to look at, though, as always, my work doesn't capture the haunting beauty like other's art.

Ah so the T.Y.R.A.N. belongs to you! I remember running into art for it and I initially wasn't going to do a therapod-based sentient as you had already filled that niche. Beautiful design.  Ah I really enjoyed drawing the Levialyst as there really are no water specialized sentients.  Thank you for posting the links! I'll make sure to go through them and see what you've got!

58 minutes ago, LostEpoch said:

Ah so the T.Y.R.A.N. belongs to you! I remember running into art for it and I initially wasn't going to do a therapod-based sentient as you had already filled that niche. Beautiful design.  Ah I really enjoyed drawing the Levialyst as there really are no water specialized sentients.  Thank you for posting the links! I'll make sure to go through them and see what you've got!

Dawww, shucks, glad to hear my design didn't truly dissuade you then! Where did you find it, did Mr. Reaar post it? Yours kinda reminds me of a mutant horror from Dino Crises called the Australis.

On that second bit, I can agree, it might be why I spent so much time constructing an "Aqua-Archwing" openworld set called "Restless Depths".

OH, uh, Roger dodger suh/mam! As always, I apologize in advance for any undue eye-strainn I may cause!

2 minutes ago, Unus said:

Dawww, shucks, glad to hear my design didn't truly dissuade you then! Where did you find it, did Mr. Reaar post it? Yours kinda reminds me of a mutant horror from Dino Crises called the Australis.

On that second bit, I can agree, it might be why I spent so much time constructing an "Aqua-Archwing" openworld set called "Restless Depths".

OH, uh, Roger dodger suh/mam! As always, I apologize in advance for any undue eye-strainn I may cause!

Just on DeviantArt.  Ah I could see that!  I have to check that out too then! lol no worries mate!

27 minutes ago, Unus said:

AH! I really gotta find him there then.

Feel free to take your time suh! 115 concepts isn't reallly a number to just "jump in" on.

Finally, ah, phew, thanks for setting me mind at ease.

Lol is there something wrong with the art being there?

And I'll probably get into it after exams are finished.

2 hours ago, LostEpoch said:

Lol is there something wrong with the art being there?

And I'll probably get into it after exams are finished.

Not at all suh! It was just a fact I wasn't aware of. Been ages since I co-opped with the man.

4 minutes ago, LostEpoch said:

Ohhh lol his work is pretty fantastic to be honest 

Indeed indeed suh/mam! First-hand experience really put him high on the list for me, alongside my associates. His work with me on the Broadside and his interpretation of my Mastodon tank, the Loxodont, has greatly helped me sustain my Pit, to say nothing of the fun I've had working with him on his own designs.

11 hours ago, Unus said:

Indeed indeed suh/mam! First-hand experience really put him high on the list for me, alongside my associates. His work with me on the Broadside and his interpretation of my Mastodon tank, the Loxodont, has greatly helped me sustain my Pit, to say nothing of the fun I've had working with him on his own designs.

Ah yes, I really love the Loxodont design! Lol just thought I maybe accidentally ratted him out or something lol

Edited by LostEpoch