Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sunpoint Drill V Advance Nosam Cutter

Jackel7

Question

I have a question but before I ask it I had a theory from the times I used the adv. Nosam cutter until I got enough reputation for Fortuna "equivalent" the Sunpoint drill.

the theory was: you could use both to get resources including rare gems but exclusive gems were locked to a specific drill 

Advance Nosam cutter =Eidolon gems (Nyth & Sentirum)

Sunpoint Drill= Thyst & Zodian

But I got curious and did some mining on Cetus with the Sunpoint drill and was able to get Eidolon gems.

Question: Are all the Nosam cutters/Drills unless now?

4 answers to this question

Pretty much.  Sunpoint Plasma Drill is much easier to get, and can do everything an Advanced Nosam Cutter can do, while also being able mine Thyst and Zodian on Orb Vallis, something no Nosam Cutter can do.  I've been able to mine both Sentirum and Nyth with the Sunpoint, so for now, Sunpoint is the best mining tool.

2 minutes ago, ShadowFel said:

Pretty much.  Sunpoint Plasma Drill is much easier to get, and can do everything an Advanced Nosam Cutter can do, while also being able mine Thyst and Zodian on Orb Vallis, something no Nosam Cutter can do.  I've been able to mine both Sentirum and Nyth with the Sunpoint, so for now, Sunpoint is the best mining tool.

Useful information for when Fortuna eventually comes to console. Thanks.

Have fun and may RNG be forever in your favor.

I'd like to point out that since the Advanced Nosam Cutter can't mine Zodian or Thyst, that reduces the RNG of the gem drop table, allowing some of the more common Vallis gems to be earned more easily. Amarast becomes noticeably more common with the Advanced Cutter (this is the main reason to use it).

If you need Phasmin, Noctrul, Goblite, & Amarast, use the Advanced Cutter. If you need Zodian & Thyst, use the Plasma Drill. However, the meter on the Advanced Cutter fills 2x as fast as the Plasma Drill, which makes mining that much more difficult, though that also makes it faster (the frustration I felt trying to get perfect mines was equivalent to tooth pulling so it's up to you to decide how badly you want those more common gems).

I have not yet used the Plasma Drill in the Plains, but I imagine that it is superior for mining Nyth & Sentirum, but inferior for earning the lesser gems (at least if comparing to the Focused Nosam Cutter in this scenario).

Edited by (PS4)VagueWisdom
  • Like 1