Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Switch high input lag

El_Bori

I don't know how it is on the other console but the switch version input lag is to high. When deactivating or opening locks it  is very noticeable. I had to press the button on the bar before the one i wanted to select on the yellow wheel to get it working. I'm coming from PC and I even tried setting my cap to 30 to see if it was due to the 16 milliseconds frame time but that was not the case as it felt much more responsive even at 30 fps on the PC. How much higher than the 16 milliseconds frame times are we getting on the switch and will this be fixed? I was excited for the switch version but this make it borderline unplayable in my opinion. Console/casual players may not notice it but I do and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Edited by El_Bori
Spelling & grammer(still bad english)
  • Like 1

I personally can't say it sucks but I will say that the lower resolution is an eye sore and the joycons are not very comfortable to play with. I can get used to the lower res and I can always buy a pro controller but the input lag is very bad. Maybe I'll just migrate my PC account and lock purchases with parental controls and just leave it for the children to play.

• Like 1

I never said Warframe specifically if that is what you are implying and English is not my first language so my apologies. I don't want my kids making purchases on the new switch on any game and the switch is shared by the family.

On 2018-11-20 at 7:51 PM, AvPCelticPredator said:

Lag also doesnt have anything with optimization of the game pal.

Thats's something completely diff.

The lag would be the effect of bad optimization "pal"

I was think maybe it is due to playing over wifi. I am on 5ghz band and have high speed net from comcast. I don't have a wifi card on my pc and always use cable so I have no reference.

7 hours ago, El_Bori said:

The lag would be the effect of bad optimization "pal"

Optimization!?
Do u even know what that means?

They cannot optimized your internet connection to resolve your "LAG IN THE GAME"!

They optimize "Textures, Consumption of your memory from your PC and GPU, particle effects, water in the game, clouds, sun, etc.

That things will freezes your PC screen in the game for awhile in any situation where the game isnt really good optimized, that thing happening right now in "Open World" (Fortuna - Orb Vallis).

I dont know how much "VRAM" your GPU have, but mine have 1GB and is not enough even with "LOW" settings to handle with textures and other things where is "Open World" in the game (Fortuna and PoE).

But maybe if u have 2x GPU with 5GB VRAM on each of them and SLI or CrossFire u can easely handled with everything in the game no matter is the game optimized or not your machine will do everything for you.

Input lag is the result of optimization and hardware though - because they stall game logics thread so gpu thread can keep up (and thus results in better framerate but at a cost input lag - it's a very common practice for consoles, also most PC titles have One Frame Thread Lag enabled by default because input lag is neglible, and FPS almost doubles depending on hardware). It seems that Warframe is lagging behind few frames more to maintain 30fps (even then there are noticeable drops, just turn off rather disgustingly strong motion blur and it's all choppy half of the time).

To be honest Warframe on Switch runs like Killzone 2 on PS3... it looks nice, it plays horrible. Warframe in this case is even worse because it's rather fast paced. I've played few hours and it looks great but I would rather have it look like a potato but had crisp response instead.

As it is my 3 years old Chinese Windows 10 tablet with Intel Core M3 CPU and integrated graphics run this game better than Switch does.

Edited by Marrond
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marrond said:

As it is my 3 years old Chinese Windows 10 tablet with Intel Core M3 CPU and integrated graphics run this game better than Switch does.

greetings from my low end intel atom tablet that can still run the game better

as it is, this game is unplayable in it's current state, if they had setup the input to record at 60hz instead of the current 30, it wouldn't be so bad... but on top of that, when the game drops to like 15fps when you're in simpler missions like exterminate fissures on earth, ehhhhhhh. here's hoping they fix this input problem

i would've killed to have a "performance" mode, where the game's set to the bare minimum settings, and runs at 60fps. warframe is not a 30fps game in the slightest.

Edited by Latiodile

Optimization very much can affect input lag. During an interview with DE, they said that Panic Button was able to better optimize the game and reduce input lag by 1ms across all platforms. Switch needs a lot more than that to feel great though. As of now it is serviceable, but luckily they will continue to work on and improve performance and optimization. Hopefully they increase the maximum motion sensitivity as well because it's pretty slow.

My PC has an i5 8600k, rx 580 4g and 16gb 3000mhz with a 144 1-3ms freesync. I play with competitive settings medium mix and trust me I can feel the difference in responsiveness. All great points and I'm glad to see that others have noticed this issue instead of just having this one user making uninformed comments. I even tried hooking up the switch the the monitor to see if it was my hdtv but still the same and besides what better the switch display itself which still feel slower to me. It is not so bad in zelda for example which is a 30 fps game.

Edited by El_Bori

On 2018-11-21 at 7:05 AM, Marrond said:

It seems that Warframe is lagging behind few frames more to maintain 30fps (even then there are noticeable drops, just turn off rather disgustingly strong motion blur and it's all choppy half of the time).

To be honest Warframe on Switch runs like Killzone 2 on PS3... it looks nice, it plays horrible. Warframe in this case is even worse because it's rather fast paced. I've played few hours and it looks great but I would rather have it look like a potato but had crisp response instead.

On 2018-11-21 at 8:50 AM, Latiodile said:

if they had setup the input to record at 60hz instead of the current 30, it wouldn't be so bad... but on top of that, when the game drops to like 15fps when you're in simpler missions like exterminate fissures on earth, ehhhhhhh. here's hoping they fix this input problem

i would've killed to have a "performance" mode, where the game's set to the bare minimum settings, and runs at 60fps. warframe is not a 30fps game in the slightest.

On 2018-11-21 at 11:02 AM, (NSW)LeeJayBird said:

Optimization very much can affect input lag. During an interview with DE, they said that Panic Button was able to better optimize the game and reduce input lag by 1ms across all platforms. Switch needs a lot more than that to feel great though.

23 hours ago, Latiodile said:

gonna chime in a little here, that's because it polls input at 60hz instead of 30, so it plays like a 60fps game while just rendering at 30fps

All these things to the switch version not feeling fluid enough and I'm finding that bullet jumping across the stage as fast as possible is difficult and so is aiming. this game pace is blazing fast that the controls must respond instantly. Oh and that yellow rotating lock is impossible to select the tab you want by pressing the button when it is on top of it and the button has to be pressed on the one before. That alone make that portion of the game broken unplayable in its intended form.

Edited by El_Bori
Word missing

On 2018-11-20 at 7:52 PM, ---Merchant--- said:

I hope you did not meant what i think you meant because account sharing is against the rules sir!
[hqdefault.jpg]

Hmmm is this a gray area?  I mean by all technicalities, it's a separate account initially Tranmere,  but new by itself.. 

I don't approve of this work around,  especially if you would want to eventually play the game with your kids

Same for me. I even uninstalled off my SD card and onto the internal storage but it's still the same. The two most obvious offenders of input lag is sliding/rolling and hacking consoles. There is a good half-second to full second delay sometimes when I hit the button to roll/slide before it actually comes out.

I have a bad feeling that this is something that will not be fixed on Switch. The fact that Warframe is running on it is amazing enough, but this is also a problem with being port-happy trying to get a game to run on everything, even your toaster. Optimizing only goes so far when the game was never meant to be on said hardware to begin with. Panic Button has already optimized the game specifically for Switch but I can't imagine what else can be done that hasn't already happened in the development cycle. I'm seriously considering abandoning the Switch version and sticking with the PC version exclusively. Warframe on Switch is losing it's luster really quickly after the honeymoon due to the input lag, horrendous dead zones with the joycons and the overall instability. It was sweet for a minute there though.

Edited by LogainUTAblar
typo

8 minutes ago, LogainUTAblar said:

I have a bad feeling that this is something that will not be fixed on Switch. The fact that Warframe is running on it is amazing enough, but this is also a problem with being port-happy trying to get a game to run everything, even your toaster. Optimizing only goes so far when the game was never meant to be on said hardware to begin with. Panic Button has already optimized the game specifically for Switch but I can't imagine what else can be done that hasn't already happened in the development cycle. I'm seriously considering abandoning the Switch version and sticking with the PC version exclusively. Warframe on Switch is losing it's luster really quickly after the honeymoon due to the input lag, horrendous dead zones with the joycons and the overall instability. It was sweet for a minute there though.

Hard to argue against that. I, too, am somewhat forcing myself to keep playing the Switch version at this point — although I still like the novelty of playing undocked quite a bit. So, I’m still hoping they will at least acknowledge the issue and try something to fix it.

The issue at this point (like you said) is really the viability of playing the Switch version over others. As nice as it is that Panic Button brought everything over to this platform is impressive and all, but that’s not a valid reason to play it. A big game being playable on Switch versus a big game that plays correctly on Switch are two different things. So, for this game to survive with the Switch community, Panic Button and DE absolutely cannot rest on their laurels just because it’s an ambitious port. They need to put just as much love into optimizing/patching this version as others. Whether it’s controls, frame rate, or resolution, this port still has a lot to prove. 

My biggest complaint so far is that l don’t really see a lot of tenacity on the part of Panic Button or DE in these initial days since launch to acknowledge issues. It’s been pretty scarce. I expected their antennas to be tuned way more than this, and to be more communicative with us. These opening weeks are pivotal to keeping people reassured and excited — especially when there’s other Nintendo first-party games that can/will hurt Warframe’s momentum (Pokemon, Smash). 

Anyway, I know this was a long post of me preaching to the choir. But, I seriously hope we will get some responses about these bugs and issues soon before people drop off or go back to other platforms. 

35 minutes ago, (XB1)iamrendr said:

My biggest complaint so far is that l don’t really see a lot of tenacity on the part of Panic Button or DE in these initial days since launch to acknowledge issues.

This and the fact that almost every review I've seen on YouTube has given it high praise and none have mentioned the crippling input lag is ridiculous. Fingers crossed hoping this gets fixed.

2 hours ago, (XB1)iamrendr said:

Hard to argue against that. I, too, am somewhat forcing myself to keep playing the Switch version at this point — although I still like the novelty of playing undocked quite a bit. So, I’m still hoping they will at least acknowledge the issue and try something to fix it.

The issue at this point (like you said) is really the viability of playing the Switch version over others. As nice as it is that Panic Button brought everything over to this platform is impressive and all, but that’s not a valid reason to play it. A big game being playable on Switch versus a big game that plays correctly on Switch are two different things. So, for this game to survive with the Switch community, Panic Button and DE absolutely cannot rest on their laurels just because it’s an ambitious port. They need to put just as much love into optimizing/patching this version as others. Whether it’s controls, frame rate, or resolution, this port still has a lot to prove. 

My biggest complaint so far is that l don’t really see a lot of tenacity on the part of Panic Button or DE in these initial days since launch to acknowledge issues. It’s been pretty scarce. I expected their antennas to be tuned way more than this, and to be more communicative with us. These opening weeks are pivotal to keeping people reassured and excited — especially when there’s other Nintendo first-party games that can/will hurt Warframe’s momentum (Pokemon, Smash). 

Anyway, I know this was a long post of me preaching to the choir. But, I seriously hope we will get some responses about these bugs and issues soon before people drop off or go back to other platforms. 

I think Warframe on Switch will have a decent following of players who are first timers experiencing it, even after the newness of it all wears off. There's a lot to love in spite of the problems if a rookie never played Warframe before (as long as they never play any other version of it). But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of PC players that migrated, PS4 and XB1 players that tried Warframe on Switch ultimately give up on it because of the problems. 

Panic Button and DE aren't babe in the woods developers. There is no way the testers played the Switch version and didn't raise the alarm about the problems. That's why I don't think there is anything that can be done. What we played is ultimately what it's going to be because if there was a way to fix the problems during development, Panic Button would have done it before launch. Busted controls isn't a minor problem that should be put on the back burner for a post launch patch. Neither is instability which leads me to believe the game simply can't or won't be fixed. There are still problems in the PC version that have persisted for years. So here we are. 

2 hours ago, LogainUTAblar said:

I think Warframe on Switch will have a decent following of players who are first timers experiencing it, even after the newness of it all wears off. There's a lot to love in spite of the problems if a rookie never played Warframe before (as long as they never play any other version of it). But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of PC players that migrated, PS4 and XB1 players that tried Warframe on Switch ultimately give up on it because of the problems. 

Panic Button and DE aren't babe in the woods developers. There is no way the testers played the Switch version and didn't raise the alarm about the problems. That's why I don't think there is anything that can be done. What we played is ultimately what it's going to be because if there was a way to fix the problems during development, Panic Button would have done it before launch. Busted controls isn't a minor problem that should be put on the back burner for a post launch patch. Neither is instability which leads me to believe the game simply can't or won't be fixed. There are still problems in the PC version that have persisted for years. So here we are. 

I agree with a lot of what you said. Many fair points for sure. Where I think I may disagree is because of how much they need to improve the experience because of its free-to-play format.

They don’t necessarily have the luxury of leaving control issues as-is because if people drop off, there goes their ability to get revenue from micro-transactions. Plus, it’s also important to consider that while this is a free-to-play game, it wasn’t free to develop. So, this has to be a long-term investment by them to make back what they spent. Part of that means optimizing the experience all-around needing to be a priority, so that this version can run more expansive DLC areas better, and to just make it more accessible for newcomers that might play for 10 minutes and give up because the controls feel weird.

I do trust that they’ll at least attempt to resolve the issues with controls, even if it’s futile, as long as we stay vocal about it. It’s more about communicating that they’ve acknowledged these issues that irks me. 

In the meantime, I suggest that everyone turns off motion blur, depth of field, weapon trails, and elemental effects. Also, it might sound stupid to some, but actually by increasing the FOV to 100, it somehow makes the game feel slightly more responsive — not to mention more roomy obviously. I felt way more comfortable with the acrobatic movement right after maxing it out, strangely enough. It also helped me to turn both aiming sensitivity settings down to 17. 

Edited by (XB1)iamrendr