Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Switch high input lag

El_Bori

11 hours ago, (XB1)iamrendr said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. Many fair points for sure. Where I think I may disagree is because of how much they need to improve the experience because of its free-to-play format.

They don’t necessarily have the luxury of leaving control issues as-is because if people drop off, there goes their ability to get revenue from micro-transactions. Plus, it’s also important to consider that while this is a free-to-play game, it wasn’t free to develop. So, this has to be a long-term investment by them to make back what they spent. Part of that means optimizing the experience all-around needing to be a priority, so that this version can run more expansive DLC areas better, and to just make it more accessible for newcomers that might play for 10 minutes and give up because the controls feel weird.

I do trust that they’ll at least attempt to resolve the issues with controls, even if it’s futile, as long as we stay vocal about it. It’s more about communicating that they’ve acknowledged these issues that irks me. 

In the meantime, I suggest that everyone turns off motion blur, depth of field, weapon trails, and elemental effects. Also, it might sound stupid to some, but actually by increasing the FOV to 100, it somehow makes the game feel slightly more responsive — not to mention more roomy obviously. I felt way more comfortable with the acrobatic movement right after maxing it out, strangely enough. It also helped me to turn both aiming sensitivity settings down to 17. 

It's my hope that the issues are addressed, make no mistake. I love the potential of Warframe on Switch. I'd hope that development continues to really make Warframe near perfect on Switch. I even went back and played it again after playing the PC version for a couple of hours yesterday and the Switch version is close. Keep in mind I'm running Warframe on PC on a Surface Studio and a SurfaceBook 2. Both devices run the game at max settings 1080p/60 with some drops on the Plains of Eidolon because that stage beats the hell out of a system apparently. But the experience of playing on Switch isn't that far from what the PC offers. Obviously 60FPS on Switch is an impossibility. But personally, I can deal with 30 if the deadzone could be minimized and the input lag can be minimized if not eliminated. 

As far as Switch settings go, I tried to play Warframe with motion blur turned off but the loss in smoothness is too much to bear even though the game is sharper as a result. The game feels like it's running at 20 or 25 FPS instead of 30. It never felt smooth enough to me with motion blur turned off. I tried turning particle effects off but this doesn't seem to work. I turned DOF off and I never use weapon trails even on PC because they tend to be annoying and just get in the way. Elemental Effects I kept on though because they're awesome but I'll try turning them off later. I never played Warframe on Switch docked and probably never will. But gyro scope aiming works really well. So well to the extent that actually aiming and hitting a target isn't a problem. In many cases, running and hitting a target while moving isn't a problem. The problem for me is trying to navigate tight areas  accurately depending on the analog sticks. That's where the input lag and deadzones become a huge issue.  Rotating the camera sucks because of this. But, considering the hardware, I'm still not sure what can be done at this point. I obviously don't know any of the developers personally but I just find it hard to believe they wouldn't fix the problems before launch if they could have. This isn't a console game being ported to a portable. It's a high fidelity PC game that has a pedigree being ported to a portable. Even Nintendo acknowledged the absolute importance in fine tuned controls with their Switch games supporting 60 fps and tight controls for many of them and they don't develop for PC. Panic Button and DE have PC development in their DNA but something like input lag and monstrous deadzones somehow were viewed as "okay" for this port? It's worrying. But we'll see how future support goes I guess.  

39 minutes ago, (NSW)Shale said:

This is not input lag, it's terrible dead zones.

I can't really say about the latter, but the former is most definitely present. It's most immediately noticeable when attempting to hack Grineer systems, but in many (if not all) cases, you can fully lift your finger off a button after pressing it before the designated action starts.

2 hours ago, CarrotSalad said:

Theres input lag when doing any hacking terminal (most obvious on grineer) but definitely you notice it on Corpus/Lua terminals too. It just feels horrible.

Far as I can tell, the input lag is omnipresent (with the potential exception of the menus) - hacking just makes it that much more obvious.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Quarterdane said:

Far as I can tell, the input lag is omnipresent (with the potential exception of the menus) - hacking just makes it that much more obvious.

I agree with this, that's my experience as well, in both handheld and docked. Every button press / stick movement takes a bit of time to process. For aiming and hacking it is especially noticeable because those two are very time sensitive, but each action has a bit of lag to it. I really hope this will be resolved somehow in an upcoming update, along with analog stick deadzone fix.

1 hour ago, El_Bori said:

I was expecting for this topic to get more attention but it seems we are in the minority who can actually perceive the increased latancy in input response. 

Makes me wonder if there have been some manner of (relatively minor) hardware changes to later releases of the Switch (and/or the controllers), and the updated API not necessarily working as well with the older ones, or something to that effect.

13 hours ago, El_Bori said:

I was expecting for this topic to get more attention but it seems we are in the minority who can actually perceive the increased latancy in input response. 

They announced they’re working on a dead zone fix for the next update on their stream, which is definitely a good start. 

I hope they fix the latency too while they are at it. That Grenier lock needs to have the rotating indicator stop over the tab when the button is pressed and i should not have to be pressing the button before just to get it rite. And besides it just make the whole game feel sluggish and unresponsive when combined with the frame drops. There are other issue I have come across but most of them have been brought up already on other topics 

On 2018-12-05 at 7:27 PM, Quarterdane said:

Looks like Steve is on the case.

This is great news. I am watching the the dev stream and they did talk about it being fixed across all platforms. I did some testing on a grenier console hack and the latency is still present. The camera movement does feel better but the latency is still there.

4 hours ago, El_Bori said:

This is great news. I am watching the the dev stream and they did talk about it being fixed across all platforms. I did some testing on a grenier console hack and the latency is still present. The camera movement does feel better but the latency is still there. 

There doesn't seem to have been a patch release between then and now, so most likely they were just announcing that they have figured out the problem and that the fix will be delivered to us players in a (not too distant) future update.

Not sure if this is still an on going issue but I came here looking for a solution. 

I ended up disabling a HDR setting on my TV and that seemed to resolve the issue. Almost like my TV was trying to do processing of the image but clearly can't keep up thus the input delay. 

6 hours ago, CuteFaceJay said:

Not sure if this is still an on going issue but I came here looking for a solution. 

It is - the issue has been found and acknowledged, and they're now working on new, better controller input code.

6 hours ago, CuteFaceJay said:

I ended up disabling a HDR setting on my TV and that seemed to resolve the issue. Almost like my TV was trying to do processing of the image but clearly can't keep up thus the input delay. 

Wouldn't account for it being present in handheld and undocked modes, so I'd guess that either you had additional latency on top of the one inherent in the game, or it's another case of the human brain doing what it does.

5 hours ago, (XB1)Jones 78 said:

Is there still an issue with the switch thumb sticks on the controller not responding to less than 50% movement? Seems really hard to make pin point adjustments with my retical such as aiming for headshots etc..

There have been no patches on Switch since the discovery of the issue in question.

Edited by Quarterdane
Typo.

• 1 month later...
On 2018-11-27 at 12:32 AM, CarrotSalad said:

Theres input lag when doing any hacking terminal (most obvious on grineer) but definitely you notice it on Corpus/Lua terminals too. It just feels horrible.

I can see a clear distinction you're missing. I own the game on Xbox one and I get what you're trying to say but you're wrong. I just got the switch version and beat natah. There is major input lag especially when hacking. Aiming just feels odd I have to "get used" it. 

20 hours ago, (XB1)D devil117 said:

I can see a clear distinction you're missing. I own the game on Xbox one and I get what you're trying to say but you're wrong. I just got the switch version and beat natah. There is major input lag especially when hacking. Aiming just feels odd I have to "get used" it. 

You mean the input performance on Switch is still inferior to the controller input on other platforms, despite the (semi-)recent across-the-board controller-input patching?

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried this game on my Switch. The input lag is atrocious! Hacking is awful. You have to press the button way before you should to complete the grineer ones.

It's not just that, though. Firing a bow is a major act of frustration as the arrow releases way after you let go of the button- causing tons of misses.

I even tried turning down all the video settings- no dice.

The game is unplayable on Switch.

• 2 years later...