Jump to content
(NSW)Tootzo

Gyro aiming not working on Pro Controller

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone.

I’ve noticed that gyro aiming does not work on the Pro Controller when the joy-cons attached to the console. Detaching the joy-cons and turning them off, the Pro controller works fine

I don’t know if it’s standard behavior with the Switch. It seems like the console prioritizes the attached joy-cons even if the Pro Controller is set as n. 1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is it possible to add more control option
x/y axis for aim, camera, gyro control
rumble strength
aim acceleration mode(linear,slow to fast, dynamic)
aim acceleration strength

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to this, I've noticed the following "quirks" with gyro aiming (which is awesome when it works!):

First to define some terms as I'm using them to avoid a lot of confusion (and because there's a good chance I'm confusing the actual axes): Switch is in hand-held mode, standing up so the screen is ahead of you like a TV.  Across (left to right) = X axis, Up the screen = Y axis, Into screen = Z axis.  Pitch = tilting/rotating around X axis (up-down aim in all cases), Yaw = tilting/rotating around Y axis (left-right aim when using joycons docked to switch), Roll = rotation around Z axis (also left-right aim all cases).

My main issue is, when the joycons are docked, I can aim left/right by tilting the switch like I'm looking in that direction via yawing, OR by rolling (something I only discovered when I tested stuff out later), which works great: both work, neither really interfere with the other.  The problem comes in when I try to either use a pro controller OR undock the joycons from the switch (with the switch itself either docked to a TV or undocked with the kickstand), at which point the ONLY left-right aim I get is via rolling, and it seems yawing the controls does nothing (at first I thought it was suddenly just less sensitive, but that was because my attempts to yaw added a little natural roll which made it seem like I was only turning it maybe 5 degrees when I did a 90 degree tilt).  The trick is with the switch docked into the joycons, yawing feels the most natural as you're tilting the screen like you're trying to look in the direction you're turning, which again, feels great.  When I want to dock the switch and use the pro controller (or I tested, if I even keep using the joycons just undocked from the switch), that same natural feeling aim-turn is suddenly disabled, and I have to do a "roll" motion with the controller (ie turn it like a steering wheel), which feels less natural than what I had been doing partly due to having to change how I had just been aiming, and also is actually much less comfortable on the pro controller (rolling and keeping your hands oriented correctly for the buttons, particularly the triggers).  Since it seems to work fine when in handheld mode with the joycons docked to allow BOTH to control left-right aiming, could we enable it to work the SAME way when using the pro controller or the undocked joycons?  I believe this is also how Zelda:BotW bow-aim adjusting works as I recall (been a while since I played), which is why I was confused when it didn't

Speaking to @(NSW)Tootzo's issue, I ran into something similar but not the exact same which makes me think it's a bug:  I was playing in handheld mode, enabled gyro aiming, that worked.  Then I docked the system, turned on the pro controller, and gyro aiming continued to work via the pro controller though with the caveats above (ie no yaw).  When I went to pick the switch back up, gyro aiming from the switch/joycons was no longer working, and rather only worked from the still connected pro controller (which I found out when I moved it), and I was unable to get gyro back on the joycons except by fully exiting and restarting warframe in handheld mode.  Before that I tried disabling/confirming/reenabling/confirming the feature via the menus, disabling the pro controller via the controls option in the switch itself, but neither of those worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, L0rdChar0n said:

Adding to this, I've noticed the following "quirks" with gyro aiming (which is awesome when it works!):

First to define some terms as I'm using them to avoid a lot of confusion (and because there's a good chance I'm confusing the actual axes): Switch is in hand-held mode, standing up so the screen is ahead of you like a TV.  Across (left to right) = X axis, Up the screen = Y axis, Into screen = Z axis.  Pitch = tilting/rotating around X axis (up-down aim in all cases), Yaw = tilting/rotating around Y axis (left-right aim when using joycons docked to switch), Roll = rotation around Z axis (also left-right aim all cases).

My main issue is, when the joycons are docked, I can aim left/right by tilting the switch like I'm looking in that direction via yawing, OR by rolling (something I only discovered when I tested stuff out later), which works great: both work, neither really interfere with the other.  The problem comes in when I try to either use a pro controller OR undock the joycons from the switch (with the switch itself either docked to a TV or undocked with the kickstand), at which point the ONLY left-right aim I get is via rolling, and it seems yawing the controls does nothing (at first I thought it was suddenly just less sensitive, but that was because my attempts to yaw added a little natural roll which made it seem like I was only turning it maybe 5 degrees when I did a 90 degree tilt).  The trick is with the switch docked into the joycons, yawing feels the most natural as you're tilting the screen like you're trying to look in the direction you're turning, which again, feels great.  When I want to dock the switch and use the pro controller (or I tested, if I even keep using the joycons just undocked from the switch), that same natural feeling aim-turn is suddenly disabled, and I have to do a "roll" motion with the controller (ie turn it like a steering wheel), which feels less natural than what I had been doing partly due to having to change how I had just been aiming, and also is actually much less comfortable on the pro controller (rolling and keeping your hands oriented correctly for the buttons, particularly the triggers).  Since it seems to work fine when in handheld mode with the joycons docked to allow BOTH to control left-right aiming, could we enable it to work the SAME way when using the pro controller or the undocked joycons?  I believe this is also how Zelda:BotW bow-aim adjusting works as I recall (been a while since I played), which is why I was confused when it didn't

Speaking to @(NSW)Tootzo's issue, I ran into something similar but not the exact same which makes me think it's a bug:  I was playing in handheld mode, enabled gyro aiming, that worked.  Then I docked the system, turned on the pro controller, and gyro aiming continued to work via the pro controller though with the caveats above (ie no yaw).  When I went to pick the switch back up, gyro aiming from the switch/joycons was no longer working, and rather only worked from the still connected pro controller (which I found out when I moved it), and I was unable to get gyro back on the joycons except by fully exiting and restarting warframe in handheld mode.  Before that I tried disabling/confirming/reenabling/confirming the feature via the menus, disabling the pro controller via the controls option in the switch itself, but neither of those worked.

That’s really strange. 

Gyro aiming should always be tied to yaw axis. That’s because usually the split joy-cons and the Pro controller are held on a plane parallel to ground when playing and by turning (mind you, not twisting) your wrist left/right, you move the aiming reticle in that direction.

If you hold your pro controller upwards (parallel to TV screen), you have to turn it like a steering wheel to aim and I agree it’s not very intuitive while playing; but the “problem” here is that you hold the controller in an “unnatural” way; if you hold it as intended, the movement you need to make to aim left/right will feel more natural.

As far as handheld mode is concerned (with joy-cons attached, that is), you’re holding the console (and so the joy-cons) in a more upward position than parallel to the ground, so it may be possible that in this particular configuration, they changed the gyro left/right mapping to tilting the Switch around its vertical axis (parallel to the screen and oriented from bottom to top); otherwise you’d have to turn the console like a steering wheel which would make following what’s happening on the screen quite difficult.

 

Edited by (NSW)Tootzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to have the option to have the gyro aim dependent on the down barrel/ scoped state (left trigger pressed ON otherwise OFF).  I don't like it always on, but when scoped it is excellent for micro adjusting or leading a moving target.  

I have some games with this setup on Steam big picture with a DualShock controller and it is a good compromise for living room couch gaming for comfort and accuracy. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, (PS4)supjj said:

It would be nice to have the option to have the gyro aim dependent on the down barrel/ scoped state (left trigger pressed ON otherwise OFF).  I don't like it always on, but when scoped it is excellent for micro adjusting or leading a moving target.  

I have some games with this setup on Steam big picture with a DualShock controller and it is a good compromise for living room couch gaming for comfort and accuracy. 

Well, having it always on is useful when firing from the hip. I shoot a lot without looking down the scope and being able to sweep an area with gyro to mow down the enemies is quite useful.

also when traversing long corridors, it’s easier to run straight and adjust direction with gyro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, (NSW)Tootzo said:

That’s really strange. 

Gyro aiming should always be tied to yaw axis. That’s because usually the split joy-cons and the Pro controller are held on a plane parallel to ground when playing and by turning (mind you, not twisting) your wrist left/right, you move the aiming reticle in that direction.

If you hold your pro controller upwards (parallel to TV screen), you have to turn it like a steering wheel to aim and I agree it’s not very intuitive while playing; but the “problem” here is that you hold the controller in an “unnatural” way; if you hold it as intended, the movement you need to make to aim left/right will feel more natural.

As far as handheld mode is concerned (with joy-cons attached, that is), you’re holding the console (and so the joy-cons) in a more upward position than parallel to the ground, so it may be possible that in this particular configuration, they changed the gyro left/right mapping to tilting the Switch around its vertical axis (parallel to the screen and oriented from bottom to top); otherwise you’d have to turn the console like a steering wheel which would make following what’s happening on the screen quite difficult.

 

I think the main problem I have is less how I hold the controller (I actually do hold it parallel to the ground/perpendicular to the TV), but rather the "change" in controls via "muscle memory":  When I'm playing it in portable mode, I make one type of aiming motion (yaw/"twist"), while undocked, I have to make the "steering wheel turn" roll motion, even if it's more like a bus steering wheel than a car one, and it's sort of like if the game switched the face and shoulder buttons on you if you switched controllers (imperfect metaphor, but the meaning is still there that my play-sense reflexes have to be different). Maybe it's just me but I do find it much more comfortable to make the yaw motion than to make the roll motion while keeping my hand in the right place on the controller. I am keeping it in one place near my lap where I'm adjusting the controller orientation only, where maybe it works better if I hold it out a bit and do the "roll" like aiming a gun moving and my arms around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, L0rdChar0n said:

I think the main problem I have is less how I hold the controller (I actually do hold it parallel to the ground/perpendicular to the TV), but rather the "change" in controls via "muscle memory":  When I'm playing it in portable mode, I make one type of aiming motion (yaw/"twist"), while undocked, I have to make the "steering wheel turn" roll motion, even if it's more like a bus steering wheel than a car one, and it's sort of like if the game switched the face and shoulder buttons on you if you switched controllers (imperfect metaphor, but the meaning is still there that my play-sense reflexes have to be different). Maybe it's just me but I do find it much more comfortable to make the yaw motion than to make the roll motion while keeping my hand in the right place on the controller. I am keeping it in one place near my lap where I'm adjusting the controller orientation only, where maybe it works better if I hold it out a bit and do the "roll" like aiming a gun moving and my arms around?

Rather than seeing that as moving your arms to point a gun, I’d think about it as moving the viewscreen (i.e. the Switch’s screen) around as you’re pointing a camera, like the screen was your “window” into the game.

I just do it resting my elbows in my lap and moving my forearms around.

Gyro aiming should not require big movements, because as it is implemented, it’s primarily meant for slight aim adjustments; they still consider your main aiming control to be the right stick, so if an enemy runs out of your sight, it’s best using the right stick to follow him, since gyro aiming would require you to turn too much.

Apparenly, making gyro aiming more sensitive than it is now at max setting would make the camera shake too much during play, so they toned it down a lot, meaning its real use is just to make small adjustments, not following a fast moving target.

Edited by (NSW)Tootzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, (NSW)Tootzo said:

Well, having it always on is useful when firing from the hip. I shoot a lot without looking down the scope and being able to sweep an area with gyro to mow down the enemies is quite useful.

also when traversing long corridors, it’s easier to run straight and adjust direction with gyro

Agreed, that is why I suggested it being an option.  

Having thought about it more I think a 2 slider system would cover the most bases of functionally.

A slider for scoped and one for hip fire/ non-scoped

Both sliders set at 50% how it currently functions

Scoped slider at 15% and the hip fire at 0% (for me and those like me)

Scoped slider at 50% and the hip fire at 80% (for the gyro sweepers)

 

Edited by (PS4)supjj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to have this improved, yeah. Motion controls are awesome in general, and this game gets them so close to perfect that the remaining nitpicks become really annoying.

  • With the Pro Controller, I should be able to aim with both yawing and rolling, just like with attached JoyCons. Took me a while to realize how it works, and it doesn't feel natural.
  • Personally, I'd love a much higher sensitivity setting, 100 is too low; I'd love to be able to do wider sweeps or adjustments just with motion.
  • I'm not sure this is how it works, but I think it's like this: Motion only seems to work with the first mode of control you used when starting the game. I often switch between using JoyCons attached to the console, and Pro Controller. If I started the game with Pro Controller, even when it isn't connected any more (it's still with the TV and I'm on public transport), playing with attached JoyCons won't give me motion control until I stop the game and start it up again. The same vice versa.

Edited to add: Motion with attached JoyCons is a pleasure to use. My urge for a higher sensitivity doesn't apply there as much. Maybe separate sensitivity settings for docked and attached-JoyCon modes would make sense, too?

Edited by (NSW)haslo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gyro aiming in handheld with Joycons can be dialled in close to perfect with existing settings. Joycon thumbsticks are atrocious, though, and borderline unusable. Pro controller sets things right, except it has inferior gyro action. Please, implement an option to replicate the same axii and sensitivities as with Joycons in handheld mode.

To everyone, saying that holding controller parallel to ground is more natural - try and continue using sticks and buttons 1. after 'steering' controller to the right 90 degrees and 2. after tilting controller 90 degrees ( so controller is vertical with right  side at the bottom and left on top). Let us know which works better for you and your wrists 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro controller is much better after the latest fix patch, thank you! Still, gyro aiming needs more sensitivity on the slider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-12-21 at 8:16 AM, MA6PIE said:

Pro controller is much better after the latest fix patch, thank you! Still, gyro aiming needs more sensitivity on the slider.

Did they fix the axii to match the joycon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...