Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions on the parkour system: wall hop vs wall run?

BeardyKyle

I came across a video of a old version of the game where wall running was still a thing and remembered a devstream many moons ago where the devs talked about bringing a revamped version of that back. 

I’m curious how many players would like that as opposed to the current wall hop we have. What are the pros and cons of each and what would be the best combination of the two to implement if that’s the direction de decides to go in.

I did ask about that when Beam weapon damage was reworked because I hated when they changed it to the hop originally. They said it was originally because of optimization issues that are no longer a concern and it's not out of the question and knew people were interested.

The wall run simply looked better. It was only changed due to issues on their end that isn't an issue any more so I don't see why there would be any argument to going back.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

I did ask about that when Beam weapon damage was reworked because I hated when they changed it to the hop originally. They said it was originally because of optimization issues that are no longer a concern and it's not out of the question and knew people were interested.

The wall run simply looked better. It was only changed due to issues on their end that isn't an issue any more so I don't see why there would be any argument to going back.

It definitely looked better and more ninja like. But on the other hand, there's definitely an argument to be made for the hop being more functional. Wall running and dashing to another wall was an input and timing nightmare, whereas now it's seamless and way less clunky. 

Basically what I'm saying is that there're aspects of the hop that are really good imo - like being able to hop between columns or other surfaces you typically wouldn't be able to make a horizontal run across.

Edit: also you couldn't change direction with the run.

Edited by BeardyKyle

7 minutes ago, -DarkWraitH- said:

Why not have both? (run if jump key is held and hop if tapped)

ideally, sure. I'm not sure it's that simple in terms of animations playing nicely together. The hop for sure, to me at least, doesn't look or feel good when moving vertically - it really only should be a surface to surface movement.

I actually wish we could have the traditional wall run back.  Many of the maps are still architecturally designed around it - some of them are even designed in a way that bunny hopping doesn't work because the map wasn't updated.  (There a room in a grineer tileset where the wall is shaped like  _/\_/\_  This wall I'm thinking of is basically W shaped, and originally you wall ran in and out of its dips.  Well you can't do that with bunny hoping, you have to cross the distance between dips, which doesn't usually work - hence why most people bullet jump the gap nowadays.

I think wall running was actually very seamless when you mastered it, and even to this day I think not only was it more stylish, but generally better for the games playstyle.  

All that said I don't think anybody can deny the versatility of hopping, it has alot more margin for error and is also great for verticle movement, where Wall Running was lacking.

It's a shame we never got the Parkour 2.0 they teased us with because that actually looked good - with vertical WALL RUNNING.  Iirc they scrapped it through because le bunny hop was easier to implement and control, i.e. change directions at will instead of being committed to vert/horiz:

I still remember the day they showed and announced it - and YES, they explicitly stated this was not only a trailer for Tombs, but also a trailer for Parkour 2.0 ... the end result we got was nothing like that.  I like bullet jumping, that can stay imo, but I do wish they'd get rid of bunny hop for what's shown in the video above.

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

On 2018-11-21 at 6:11 AM, -DarkWraitH- said:

Why not have both? (run if jump key is held and hop if tapped)

Incidentally this was something people did back when we had wall running. People were chaining together moves where they would tap off a wall, copter, tap, copter and were getting places much faster than just mere coptering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-11-23 at 7:42 AM, Altagraive said:

Goddamn I want both.

Wallrun is much cooler, but wallhop is much more useful.

I dunno how, but I want both.

Maybe hold Sprint for wall run and hold something else for wall hop I dunno.

Make it happen Steve.

The way it use to work is that you would hold jump near a wall and you'd begin a wallrun depending on the angle you are at the wall (facing the wall you run up, facing parallel you run across), if you wanted to wall jump you would just tap jump near the wall and it would launch you.