Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I get useful at this game to people?

(NSW)Nidebito

Question

Currently, I've been playing solo with the chat shut off so I can focus on the game, but I'm starting to feel like I've come to the epiphany that I'll eventually need to use the Trade chat at minimum if I'm going to make plat between bouts of buying it for cash outright.

This brings me to my problem.  I've got probably the worst luck with drop rates, which will eventually lead me to picking up only trash that won't even be worth the effort to sell for plat.  And what little good stuff I will end up getting will get hoarded like I'm a dragon.

How am I supposed to get useful to people at this game?  If I can't get the "META GEWD STUF", then all I'm left with is continuing to run solo.  Which is slow, and sometimes very boring.

Well, there is that, and the rare times I've ever had open missions everyone else zips around killing stuff faster than a blue hedgehog, while I'm struggling to aim my Lato or whatever other noob junk I'm using in the right direction and hit a target before someone else gets it.  I don't feel useful when I can't keep up.  So I just go cry in my solo corner at how worthless I'll end up staying at this game.

Can't say Warframe isn't fun, it certainly is a delight to play.  But I just dislike being the worst person to get on a team.

No, "git gud" is not a sufficient answer.  Pack your memes and leave unless they're Vay Hek stuff.

17 answers to this question

Nobody ends perfect in 1 day

this cost time .. time and allot of grind

-- Try to do more quests in the codex if you have some

--- Do survival missions get more loot 

---- Join public matches at high nodes

----- Be supportive with warframes by reading the wiki first .. so you start to know the warframe first and read what its capable of

------- Make friends join them no mather how tough they are

--------- Buy mod cheap .. Thru warframe market

----------- Use warframe builder website for an pre build warframe setup that can suits your needs

------------- Don't rage quit when things don't go well . but instead talk to your group more

--------------- Use warframes that are capable of giving buffs around your team mates .. for example Rhino Roar etc ( Read wiki )

6 minutes ago, (NSW)Nidebito said:

How am I supposed to get useful to people at this game?  If I can't get the "META GEWD STUF", then all I'm left with is continuing to run solo.

Collect Relics (either in solo or public) and do every Fissure in public or Recruit groups to maximize your chances of getting better gear.

On the other hand you don't NEED to have prime items to be helpful/strong.

Pick weapons/frames you like and forma it until your mods fit into even if maxed

1- learn the movement system, it's what makes you zip around so fast normally. if you want you can also use the 'rush' mod on your frame 

2- learn to mod your weapons correctly, use the electric+toxin elements to get corrosive which is the ideal dmg type against everything 

3- upgrade your mods, this should be your main focus, this is how you get stronger in this game

4- don't be afraid to do public missions, there's no shame in getting the lowest stats in the end mission summery, you're just starting out, it's pretty normal especially in a f2p game which has been around for a while (yes even with the new switch version) 

5- you WILL get to that point, trust me, everyone starts out that way. keep focusing on what gives you fun in this game 

6- for trading, I recommend checking out warframe market website, it'll ease trading a lot. even common prime parts have a market so nothing is a waste, don't focus on the stuff that you might get, like new frames, weapons...etc, I remember at some point in my first month playing, I had like 8 frames in my foundry....work on the stuff you already have  

finally, sharing what exactly you're doing/using will help us help you more 

This is a surprise.  I was expecting the memes to hit first.

Anyway, sure.  I'll share what I'm using at the moment.  

Frame -- Excal, did get a Volt from having the Lotus Honor discount with the small starting plat from Vor's Prize but not focused on leveling that yet while I'm still unlocking my map.

Main -- Strun Mk1, probably going to use Paris Mk1 to level it now that I'm up to Mercury, but the other thing I've got is a Braton Mk1, which I started with

Secondary -- Lato, also have a Furis Mk1. (God, I hate Furis.  I run out of ammo so easy with it)

Meele -- I picked Bo Mk1 for something different.  I should have went Skana because the Bo would have been easy to get on market.  But I did get a free Heat Sword thanks to someone on YouTube, so... I'm using the Heat Sword.

Mods at present --

Frame: Redirection, Vitality, Enemy Sense, and Equilibrium.

Main:  Disruptor, Tac Pump, Chilling Grasp, and Blunderbuss

Secondary: Hornet Strike, No Return, Trick Mag, Pistol Gambit, Convulsion, and Heated Charge.

Melee: North Wind, Pressure Point, Organ Shatter, Fury, and Reach.

That's what my present stuff is.

Oh, I've also got a Taxon with Artax.

Taxon mods are: Molecular Conversion, Retarget, Metal Fiber, and Vacuum.

Artax mods are: Serration, Stormbringer, Bane of Corpus, and Bane of Grineer.

Edited by (NSW)Nidebito
Forgot some of the load out, added.

14 minutes ago, (NSW)Nidebito said:

This is a surprise.  I was expecting the memes to hit first.

Anyway, sure.  I'll share what I'm using at the moment.  

Frame -- Excal, did get a Volt from having the Lotus Honor discount with the small starting plat from Vor's Prize but not focused on leveling that yet while I'm still unlocking my map.

Main -- Strun Mk1, probably going to use Paris Mk1 to level it now that I'm up to Mercury, but the other thing I've got is a Braton Mk1, which I started with

Secondary -- Lato, also have a Furis Mk1. (God, I hate Furis.  I run out of ammo so easy with it)

Meele -- I picked Bo Mk1 for something different.  I should have went Skana because the Bo would have been easy to get on market.  But I did get a free Heat Sword thanks to someone on YouTube, so... I'm using the Heat Sword.

Mods at present --

Frame: Redirection, Vitality, Enemy Sense, and Equilibrium.

Main:  Disruptor, Tac Pump, Chilling Grasp, and Blunderbuss

Secondary: Hornet Strike, No Return, Trick Mag, Pistol Gambit, Convulsion, and Heated Charge.

Melee: North Wind, Pressure Point, Organ Shatter, Fury, and Reach.

That's what my present stuff is.

Oh, I've also got a Taxon with Artax.

Taxon mods are: Molecular Conversion, Retarget, Metal Fiber, and Vacuum.

Artax mods are: Serration, Stormbringer, Bane of Corpus, and Bane of Grineer.

excal is a good choice currently, keep working on him and upgrade him, I'd ditch equilibrium for something else, mainly efficiency mods if you have them, also try to upgrade your hp+shield mods as much as you can 

I'd use the braton or paris, since you'll have the damage mod for rifles which will up your dmg, also don't focus on ISP/physical dmg mods like no return, they have no use...after you put dmg and elemental mods in, focus on utility like fire rate/attack speed/reload speed 

like I mentioned, you should focus on getting the corrosive dmg (electric+toxin), if you can't get that, use viral (toxin+cold), radiation (heat+electric) works too but is bad against infested 

you don't really need to focus on your secondary much, so don't worry about it. I'd suggest you get the Hek shotgun too as early as you can, it'll carry you pretty far into the game 

if you want endo, desolve the duplicate mods that you have. also focus on getting the weapons you can buy with credits, these will give you some decent mastery rank xp so you can focus on building better weapons, like the Hek 

Don't be afraid to play public. No one's gonna expect anyone to carry the team or stuff like that. If anything, play a lot of public. You can learn a lot by observing how others play/move.

7 minutes ago, (NSW)Nidebito said:

snip

The warframe community is mostly helpful. I was very surprised as well on my first few weeks (maybe bc I was too used to highly toxic communities).

A few tips:

1 - Research a bit (google, youtube, ask here in the forums) before spending platinum. You basically wasted platinum on Volt there, because you can get him for free when you get in a clan, but it's okay, you can earn more platinum once you start to get into the market.

2 - GET IN A CLAN! Go to the recruit chat, there should be a lot of clans willing to take in new players there. In clans you can get help, get more weapons and frames, and make friends.

3 - One thing the game doesn't make very clear is how the foundry system works. You can get weapons/frames in many ways, but what you should know now is that you can craft weapons and frames. When you visit the store and check the frame/weapon tabs, you can either purchase a pre-built weapon/frame for platinum (and very few for credits) OR you can select that warframe/weapon and go to the right tab (I think it has an icon of a credit).

In this tab you can buy the blueprint of the frame/weapon you want, and all you need to do is gather the materials to craft them.

Most frame parts are dropped by bosses (they drop blueprints for those parts, so you need to craft those too), while most weapons only take a few resources. So, it's always worth checking the store after increasing your Mastery Level (number beside your glyph/photo in the game menu) for new weapons. I.e., you can get every weapon and frame for free, through farming and some will power, if you're too unlucky.

4 - To increase your mastery level (MR), you need to level different weapons and frames (and pets, later) to level 30 to get mastery points. Once you have enough mastery points, you can take a test to increase your MR.

5 - Mk1 weapons are pretty much the worst weapons, there is a slightly better standard version of them in the store for credits. Lato is great tho.

There's just so much more I could tell, but I'm afraid it might be a bit overwhelming.

Extra tip: Have fun. Take your time to explore the game or maps. Go for weapons/frames you find fun.
Took me almost two weeks just to get to Mercury, but I had a blast re-running missions I enjoyed on Venus.

Mk1 might be the worst, but they're still worth at least the mastery points to level until I can afford or have the MR for their equivalents.

I didn't know Volt was a free clan grab.  I saw that it had no blueprint and got a little upset about that.

I'll get some app that can help with information reference here in a bit, too.

Never worry about playing with others, everyone has been new but you will learn a lot from others and for the most part people are generally pretty helpful.

You could also seek out a clan to join which will give you access to many weapons and frames only found in the clan dojo and you'll have people to play with and help you where needed.

vor einer Stunde schrieb (NSW)Nidebito:

I don't feel useful when I can't keep up. 

Step 1: Learn walking

...and by walking I mean bullet jumping. You are right, if you can't keep up, you can't help your team. Also, if you can't keep up you won't get your share of EXP,

This means, it's a loose/loose-situation.

Everything else comes after that. For starters, literally don't try to attack and kill enemies, just get to know Warframes movement system and keep up.

Also: Bullertjumps reduce the enemies accuracy by A LOT. Learning to use the bullet jump not only keeps you near your team, it also keeps you (quite literally) alive, making it essential later in the game and this leads rather nicely into....

Step 2: Stay alive.

Reviving teammates is an essential part of Warframe, however, it's a risk/reward issue. Your teammates can't move while reviving you. This means they can't defend themself and also can't kill enemies before their reinforcment arrives, which means your group might be overwhelmed.

This means essentialls, getting killed may result in your teammates getting killed as well.

Step 3: Support instead of carry

Get Rhino or even better Trinity. Rhinos Roar ability gives allies a nice damage buff and Trinities Energy Vampire and Blessing are always welcome in any group.

Both Warframes are realtively easy to get and easy to play. Additionally, both are rather tanky, which gives your some room for mistakes when getting better at Step 2.

Step 4: Time to get serious

Only now you should try to think about being the one who does all the killing, is actually nonsense. What I mean by getting serious is realising that those damage numbers on the endscreen are not really important.  When you are new to the game, you don't have the equipment to dominate the damage numbers. This is a fact. Even though some high ranking player might be using the very same weapon you do, there are still mandatory mods, like Hornetstrike and Serration. Those make a huge amount of a weapons damage. However, new players don't have the access to the needed endo and credits to rank those up to max level and even if they had, they will most likly lack the orokin catalysts and forma to put them to effective use.

Movement is the hardest part of Warframe and mastering it takes many many hours. I have over 700 hours in the game I still get stuck in corners or fall into pits, just a not as much as when I started and its so satisfying when you get it just right.

Movement is a puzzle of 6 parts: Slide, Roll, Glide, Regular Jump, Bullet Jump, Double Jump.
Over time you'll learn how much of each of your movement skills will add or subtract from your velocity and as you learn the map layouts you will figure out where and when to adjust.

I'll highlight glide (hold right mouse button in air) as its very unused by the new playerbase. They are basically your mid air breaks and lets you greatly slow down your momentum allowing you to take corners you could otherwise not.

A good way to practice is to do a easy capture mission and aim to improve your time. Aim for something around 3~5 minutes start to end depending on the layout.

Edited by Souchie

1. Try every piece of equipment. Sooner or later tou wil find weapons and warframe comfortable for you. But dont stop! Best that you can do is mastering all warframes and at least one weapon of every class(rifle,sniper,shotgun,etc). And nearly every warframe useful in different situations.

2. Learn to build weapons and warframes. This is very important part of the game.

3. Do not rush. Dont try end game content until you shure that you ready for it. And dont rush farming on Orb Vallis and Plains of Eidolon.

4. Find a team and clan. Many high rank players always ready to help noobs.

already a lot of good responses are given and I won't be able to contribute other than repeat most but here's what I did (note that I'm not that great a player):

Finish all quests no matter how hard or annoying they are, quests give you decent items to carry you. For example broken war and orvius are awesome melees I had good milage from. Also you get warframes from them.

Set yourself goals, the game won't do it for you. Select a warframe within your reach, farm it's bits, look for it's resources and build them. The only thing I bought with plat at the begginning was slots (you can easily buy so called top tier items with plat but so long as you don't know how to move and how to use them properly they won't do anyone any good). Actually farming warframe bits (from assasination missions) does another good, it gets you marked by the stalker. One of Stalker's common blueprints is Dread an awesome bow. It can carry you through junctions with ease.

I first wanted to survive in missions because I didn't know how to move, so farmed a rhino and read wiki posts watched some youtube for it. It wasn't perfect but untill I learned how to move it kept me alive. I still use Rhino but this time I have a proper buff build and iron skin build on it. Still not perfect but much better than it used to be. Once you learn how to move and utilize your abilities you get hit way less, survive with squishier frames and naturally deal more damage.

I never used pure meta builds for weapons warframes nor for modular stuff but basic/common builds are a good start untill you learn how stuff works. Then you start doing your thing and have a "go to set" in time. Once I had a set I was comfy with I started to go for things that'll help me farm like Nekros and Hydroid. If you can squeeze in syndicate grinding even better. I didn't touch syndicates for a long time but eventually you need them for augments which help a ton.

Even when you spend IRL money everything takes time in warframe, repeating grinding is something you can't avoid. But do pace yourself don't try to have things done in a day or even a week or longer sometimes.

I started my clan grinded it up to rank 10 and nearly done all research solo. Thanks to our newest member we fully finished all labs just today actually, Knux was my last bane. I took it slow and added bit by bit every day and it finally has a face pretty much. You can of course join a clan, that works too. There are some nice clans out there. I wanted a long term purpose pretty much and it turned out ok. Took 7-ish months but hey, it's something to do. 😄

Whenever I got a new warframe or a weapon I first watched a review of it and try to understand how it works. For mods again I set goals for myself, make a list and go after them one by one. Some stuff can be excrutiating, I wanted to try Harrow and it's neuroptics took me 70+ tries almost a month to get. There are some key mods I'm missing still. You have to learn to live without some stuff or you'll put a big dent in your wallet so if it can be farmed don't buy it I'd say, but if you have 3 out of 4 pieces and can pick up the 4th for a bargain go for it, no shame in that.

Lagging behind is no problem but know your paygrade and try not to distrupt other people's game by joining something way harder than you can handle. DE doesn't do a good job of specifying that. It won't be fun for you or other folk. I of course don't suggest staying in safe shallows, a solid example is better here: let's say you haven't finished second dream and war within but you join an eidolon hunt. You won't be able to do much since you won't have a certain mode unlocked and a certain new equipment equipped or let's say you barely survive the Teralyst, avoid tridolon runs till you are comfortable with Teralyst and have researched on how tridolons work. If you are in your level area folk won't mind if you lag behind.

Drop rates suck for each and every one of us my friend. As for getting prime parts etc that are not worth that much, you can wait for Baro Ki'teer turn them into ducats and buy a rare mod to sell for a better plat value, or farm traces, follow what goes high on the market and rad the relics that give them. That's another goal to set.

Best of luck 🙂

Edited by Guest

Just practice and eventually you will get good. Most players that are killing stuff and doing a ton are most likely players on PC that migrated to the switch and know the basic movements. Look on youtube, the fanbase wiki, and more for like tip to get stuff or what weapons are good. Also if you don't really like the Mk 1 then don't use them; I know this seems like a bad idea but later on there's a thing called ESO (something like Elite Sanctuary Operations or something like that) Where you can level them way easier and faster. About your Volt and how you feel bad, don't cause volt is really good right now(actually most frames are good except some exceptions). A way that could help you is if you get a Pro controller (since I see your a Nintenno) that might help with how you move way better since the regular joycons are really laggy in my opinion but otherwise just experiment and you'll learn

Edited by ShadowHeartRoyalGuards

I didn't think I'd be anywhere near good at this game, two years in and I still feel decent at best. I enjoy the game immensely, however, and if you like that game that's something you need to hold onto when you're grinding and feel like you're stuck. So, everyone's said pretty much everything, making anything I could suggest redundant. Plus, like I said, I'm decent at best. I think the best way of learning is just going for it. I got in with a group shortly after I gave the game a second try and learn a lot. When it came to the frames themselves I learned by trial and error. I didn't know I could google builds until later! lol Even now I don't do that much and just ram my head into a wall until something works for me. All I knew back then was I saw a frame, liked it, and worked for it. I'm still hugely attached to my Saryn today. Really, my biggest suggestion is to find people you get along with and learn from them and by hands on experience. That's the best way to learn plus you'll get a nice group and find what you like doing in the game!

If you're still looking for a clan hit me up on Switch, it's the same as my PS4 ign. They're all friendly from what I can tell and would definitely be up to help you, myself included.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

I've played solo for the first year and it taught me one valuable lesson: "No one notices the secrets when their in a team."

You're helpful in all the Spy missions because you know all the vents while others run to the front door. You're helpful in Interceptions because you know the AI only focus on one node at a time. And you know your Warframe.

There is no META for everything, so run what you like. Cause it's all helpful. I'm an Ash main. I focus on debuffing boss shields with Seeking Shuriken and revives.

What Frames do you run and everyone will tell you how they help, or you'll find one that helps you.