Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A List of Simple Solutions for Leechers on Open World Bounties / Jobs.

MysticDragonMage

i know you all hate leechers to a point where you believe they do not deserve bounty rewards, creating concepts like "if a player is not within a bounty area by 2 minutes, they will not receive a reward." but the goal here is to simply reduce the amount of leechers rather than creating complicated concepts to completely eliminate them, only to have these concept potentially spark controversy and misunderstandings between players. from what I've personally experienced, most leechers are not doing "nothing." they are "multitasking", though even this isn't tolerable either when they take up space in a four-person squad aiming to complete a bounty.

here are a few solutions that i feel are fair:

• simply disable tranquilizers, fishing spears, and mining drills while a bounty is active. players may use these gear items when a Bounty/Job is completed or failed.
  • significantly reduce or remove loot containers as well as dropped loot from enemies outside of the Bounty/Job areas. once a bounty area is determined by the game, spawn containers within that chosen area. if the bounty has no specified area, this will not apply.
  • reduce affinity award for killing enemies outside of the bounty/Job area. if the bounty has no specified area, this will not apply.
  • disable Vent Kids standing gain while a Bounty/Job is active.
  • once a Bounty/Job stage has started, consistently spawn enemies nearby players who are outside of the bounty area. if the bounty has no specified area, this will not apply.
  • reduce the extraction timer for free roam areas.
  • for Orb Vallis bounties, when at least one player does not vote to begin a chosen bounty, the players who have will be sent to a new session. the players who didn't or have not voted at all will remain on the current session.

let them have the completion rewards. what the developers can do, however, is prevent players from "multitasking" while a Bounty/Job is active.

Edited by MysticDragonMage
edit #2; fixed some of the suggestions taking into account that not all bounties have a specified area.

Zitat

simply disable tranquilizers, fishing spears, and mining drills while a bounty is active. players may use these gear items when a bounty is completed or failed.

I am against disabling - instead i would propose that you just would just get1/5 in mining, only damaged fishes and animals would be far more likely to run off.

Zitat

significantly reduce or remove loot containers as well as dropped loot from enemies outside of the bounty areas. once a bounty area is determined by the game, spawn containers within that chosen area,

I am against this as welll because this would limit the "true" players too which are smashing chests on the way to the bounty area. I am often shooting things while running to the area.

Zitat

reduce affinity award for killing enemies outside of the bounty area.

First point i could agree with... perhaps even adding +20% for each enemy killed in the area.

Zitat

disable Vent Kids standing gain while a bounty is active. 

Absolutely against it, some people don't want to use archwing but want to use K-Drive. You want to punish those who want to get to the bounty with the Fortuna-made gear? No.

Zitat

once a bounty stage has started, consistently spawn enemies nearby players who are outside of the bounty area.

Remember the bounties in which you have to kill enemies or get energy cells/beacons from killed enemies. This would make it even harder for the "true" players.

Zitat

reduce the extraction timer for free roam areas. 

As long as it is not 10s or something i am fine. Perhaps starting with 30s but with faster ticking down if 3/4 are inside.

All of these solutions either cause other problems or are easily avoided and don't solve anything.

Leechers aren't a big enough problem to warrant convoluted and extreme limitations for public games which not only require a fair amount of work for DE for solutions that aren't effective, but also means a lot of annoyance for players just trying to enjoy the game normally. We already made this mistake with the "anti-AFK" timer.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Instead of trying to reduce leecher rewards, why not just share their harvested rewards with the rest of their team? AFAIK the main issue with open-world leechers is that they collect both bounty rewards + harvested rewards, meaning they are actually better off than the rest of their team.

This mutual sharing mechanic could open up opportunities for division-of-work strategies and even help alleviate some of the grind for players who are strongly disinterested by the mini-game type farming.

7 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Instead of trying to reduce leecher rewards, why not just share their harvested rewards with the rest of their team? AFAIK the main issue with open-world leechers is that they collect both bounty rewards + harvested rewards, meaning they are actually better off than the rest of their team.

This mutual sharing mechanic could open up opportunities for division-of-work strategies and even help alleviate some of the grind for players who are strongly disinterested by the mini-game type farming.

Discussed multiple times already, instead of making it good for everyone, it only creates an additional excuse for people to play missions that they have no intention of playing. It also defeats the purpose of those side systems being in the game. It's like saying we should automatically share Arbitration rewards to people who have it unlocked even if they aren't in the mission.

Replace the rewards with a small amount of credits or common resource and suddenly, it becomes a lousy idea to give people excuse to leech because the fundamental concept is that "I want those rewards but I don't want to do them." Once those resources are of little value to you, this solution does nothing but make the situation worse. "I'm giving you 30 Goblite while I leech your Bounty rewards from across the map so it's not leeching" will become a thing and if you have 500 Goblite, then what?

Edited by Flandyrll

19 minutes ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

I am against disabling - instead i would propose that you just would just get1/5 in mining, only damaged fishes and animals would be far more likely to run off.

I am against this as welll because this would limit the "true" players too which are smashing chests on the way to the bounty area. I am often shooting things while running to the area.

First point i could agree with... perhaps even adding +20% for each enemy killed in the area.

Absolutely against it, some people don't want to use archwing but want to use K-Drive. You want to punish those who want to get to the bounty with the Fortuna-made gear? No.

Remember the bounties in which you have to kill enemies or get energy cells/beacons from killed enemies. This would make it even harder for the "true" players.

As long as it is not 10s or something i am fine. Perhaps starting with 30s but with faster ticking down if 3/4 are inside.

i support this because it take into account that leechers will settle for anything extra regardless of its value or quality.

i will not deny that some players like to search for loot then participate in the bounty like good players, but taking into acount that leeching has become more and more of a problem means that some changes are necessary. simply my opinion.

thank you for this, and i am up for a little boost in affinity within bounty areas rather than reducing it outside of bounty areas.

except people can still use K-Drives for traveling purposes and people dont get reputation at all for using archwing like K-drives.

i would think that enemies that drop bounty related items will not spawn near players who are not within a bounty. basically, the enemies that spawn near players outside of bounties are not related to the ones that spawn within the bounties. as for the credit collecting bounty, this would actually boost the bounties progress since it has no specified area.

i can agree with this.

12 minutes ago, Flandyrll said:

Discussed multiple times already,

So I'm supposed to know this because I definitely read all those other discussions? That idea had not yet appeared in this thread.

instead of making it good for everyone, it only creates an additional excuse for people to play missions that they have no intention of playing.

This happens regardless, and will continue to happen until Warframe polishes its gameplay enough that it is actually engaging enough that players treat it as something more than a simple Skinner box where they push a button or two to dole out rewards.

At the very least this would help neutralize the detriment to teammates running the bounty.

It also defeats the purpose of those side systems being in the game.

I disagree, because I think that the side systems far overstep their bounds. On its own, fishing would be a relatively fun and relaxing mini-game enjoyed by most players. Shoehorned into the game progression, it breeds resentment due to arbitrary time constraints and excessive focus on gameplay outside the main draw of the game.

There were lots of players who thought (and continued to think) fishing was dumb. They wouldn't care (and would probably change their minds) if they weren't forced to do it to progress.

It's like saying we should automatically share Arbitration rewards to people who have it unlocked even if they aren't in the mission.

That's apples and oranges. Open-world missions are an entirely separate scenario - if DE wants to draw a hard line in the sand like that, there are only 2 solutions:

1. Disable all side mini-games while bounties are active.
  2. Prevent players from matching into bounty sessions unless they select the same bounty.

Replace the rewards with a small amount of credits or common resource and suddenly, it becomes a lousy idea to give people excuse to leech because the fundamental concept is that "I want those rewards but I don't want to do them." Once those resources are of little value to you, this solution does nothing but make the situation worse. "I'm giving you 30 Goblite while I leech your Bounty rewards from across the map so it's not leeching" will become a thing and if you have 500 Goblite, then what?

Then you can easily transform that Goblite into Standing, which should still be useful to you regardless.

I agree that leeching should not be incentivized, but if players aren't willing to accept the most thoroughly effective methods (shutting down other activities) then a different approach is required.

23 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

So I'm supposed to know this because I definitely read all those other discussions? That idea had not yet appeared in this thread. 1

This happens regardless, and will continue to happen until Warframe polishes its gameplay enough that it is actually engaging enough that players treat it as something more than a simple Skinner box where they push a button or two to dole out rewards.

At the very least this would help neutralize the detriment to teammates running the bounty. 2

I disagree, because I think that the side systems far overstep their bounds. On its own, fishing would be a relatively fun and relaxing mini-game enjoyed by most players. Shoehorned into the game progression, it breeds resentment due to arbitrary time constraints and excessive focus on gameplay outside the main draw of the game.

There were lots of players who thought (and continued to think) fishing was dumb. They wouldn't care (and would probably change their minds) if they weren't forced to do it to progress. 3

That's apples and oranges. Open-world missions are an entirely separate scenario - if DE wants to draw a hard line in the sand like that, there are only 2 solutions: 4

1. Disable all side mini-games while bounties are active.
  2. Prevent players from matching into bounty sessions unless they select the same bounty.

Then you can easily transform that Goblite into Standing, which should still be useful to you regardless.5

I agree that leeching should not be incentivized, but if players aren't willing to accept the most thoroughly effective methods (shutting down other activities) then a different approach is required.

1. Point was to let you know that people have came up with this idea and that it's not a good one. Problem is that this solution has terrible long-term possibility and is only effective in a "I get more stuff" short term.

2. It helps to create more detriment to the players running the bounty by setting a new "efficient meta" that is 1 person running the bounty and 3 people fishing/mining to "maximize gains". Short term sure, he got a few Glappids because it just so happened someone was fishing Glappids. Long term, this will become more commonplace.

3. Therefore, if it is a system you dislike, we should be given ways to bypass it? Like it or not, they are there to impede progress from being a one-track line of repeatedly running the bounties.

4. I would say there are other solutions to at least mitigate the problem. The 2nd solution presented isn't even a solution. Whether is it penalizing people or pushing people to actually run the mission they selected, a lot of things are better than what we have now which is absolutely nothing.

5. Once again, it's an core argument that "If I contribute to you something which I find valuable, it is not leeching". What if a person has already maxed out his standing and is running the Bounty for relics? The whole reason why leeching became a problem is because a system like this exists where you can give rewards to people who aren't involved.

Edited by Flandyrll

1 hour ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

Just like Archwing you won't get any points for it. And if you're going from one point to another with K-Drive you won't be getting much anyway from grinding and random tricks without taking forever to reach the bounty area. Might as well disable gaining points of them so people either use Archwing or if they insist on using K Drives use em purely to reach the bounty area and not taking their sweet time to do tricks. People are just going to farm K drive points which basically defeats the purpose of setting things against leeching. 

I'd say simply not giving bounty rewards to those who did not assist is fair, but another solution is to make Freeroam its own game mode, rather than the "in between bounties default". Quite a few players join a freeroam game only to get dragged into a bounty. Happened to me a few times, though I of course didn't leech.

But honestly, I'm glad DE is working on revising melee rather than on this. Priorities. 😄

2 minutes ago, kambinks said:

Just like Archwing you won't get any points for it. And if you're going from one point to another with K-Drive you won't be getting much anyway from grinding and random tricks without taking forever to reach the bounty area. Might as well disable gaining points of them so people either use Archwing or if they insist on using K Drives use em purely to reach the bounty area and not taking their sweet time to do tricks. People are just going to farm K drive points which basically defeats the purpose of setting things against leeching. 

Good point - using the K-Drive at all could be considered leeching, as others are actually putting effort into reaching the objective with an AW or mobility frame. It's a toy really.

58 minutes ago, Flandyrll said:

1. Point was to let you know that people have came up with this idea and that it's not a good one. Problem is that this solution has terrible long-term possibility and is only effective in a "I get more stuff" short term.

That's entirely irrelevant to discussing it with me, because it assumes that the argument is completely settled with no room for counter-argument. That's not the case.

2. It helps to create more detriment to the players running the bounty by setting a new "efficient meta" that is 1 person running the bounty and 3 people fishing/mining to "maximize gains". Short term sure, he got a few Glappids because it just so happened someone was fishing Glappids. Long term, this will become more commonplace.

No it doesn't, because the "meta" doesn't really hold much sway when it comes to public bounties. The vast majority of players run bounties to, well, run bounties.

3. Therefore, if it is a system you dislike, we should be given ways to bypass it? Like it or not, they are there to impede progress from being a one-track line of repeatedly running the bounties.

Yes, absolutely. Warframe is a video game, and its first-and-foremost responsibility is to provide entertainment. Don't try to spin this from some angle where there are no alternate solutions whatsoever; something as simple as dropping the relevant materials from containers (similar to what they've done with Fortuna and Orb Vallis) would be enough. Still, I think the overall better solution would be to simply use standard resources and allow the exchange of fishing/mining resources for others.

Thus Fishing/Mining/etc. have a use for standard play, but not really the other way around. Though unique rewards like tags for Floofs or fish trophies are fine to keep exclusive, seeing as they are unrelated to progression.

4. I would say there are other solutions to at least mitigate the problem. The 2nd solution presented isn't even a solution. Whether is it penalizing people or pushing people to actually run the mission they selected, a lot of things are better than what we have now which is absolutely nothing.

Why should we opt for a solution that mitigates the problem as opposed to a solution that eliminates it entirely?

Yes, it is a solution. A common point that is brought up is that it is possible to match into a mission you didn't select. If the expected behavior is to participate in the objective, players should at least only match into objectives they select.

5. Once again, it's an core argument that "If I contribute to you something which I find valuable, it is not leeching". What if a person has already maxed out his standing and is running the Bounty for relics?

Then they can exchange the materials for standing the next day.

You're also misconstruing my argument, which is that at least leeches will contribute something valuable. It doesn't make it not leeching, and I absolutely think that they should be punished for such behavior. However, the support reporting process isn't the fastest, so at the very least players should be able to glean some benefit from leeches.

I don't really support the idea of cutting players out of rewards because all the proposed methods I've seen run the risk of accidentally punishing players who are otherwise trying to participate.

The whole reason why leeching became a problem is because a system like this exists where you can give rewards to people who aren't involved.

Nonsense. Leeches existed before POE/Orb Vallis were added to the game, and they would continue to exist if they were for some reason removed. Leeches are a problem because Warframe is driven entirely by rewards rather than compelling gameplay for many players. The game is just pressing a button for a reward, so they seek out the absolute minimum-effort strategies.

That was my point about developing compelling gameplay; if Warframe can evolve to the point that players aren't inclined to run AFK strategies while watching Netflix/Youtube/TV then the leeching problem will diminish.

Don't you guys just stop doing the mission when you see a leecher? I do..I usually just go off and fish and mine gems the minute one shows up on the plains during a bounty..I'm sure I'll do the same on Venus...They usually just stand there hoping you'll carry them...but instead I really have a fun time by putting on my mic and turing on Netflix, make a sandwich, and commit myself to just doing anything but the missions till said leecher quits out...or I've finally found enough materials to call it a good farm and head back to Cetus and re matchmake with better peoples...

2 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

All of these solutions either cause other problems or are easily avoided and don't solve anything.

Leechers aren't a big enough problem to warrant convoluted and extreme limitations for public games which not only require a fair amount of work for DE for solutions that aren't effective, but also means a lot of annoyance for players just trying to enjoy the game normally. We already made this mistake with the "anti-AFK" timer.

i see this kind of format over and over.

"there are bigger problems"

"i prefer that they concentrate on these issues"

"this isn't even an issue"

"let the devs concentrate on bigger things"

etc etc.

it can be applied to any topic and adds nothing to the conversation. right now, i see this as an issue, and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out to see if people can relate (which they do in fact). there is nothing wrong with starting a conversation about it either, like every topic ever on this forum.

my main argument is that if a player chooses to go on a bounty / Job with 3 other people, they should not need to do anything else besides the mission they have chosen.

I'd like to point out that there is no "bounty area" for some of the missions in Orb Vallis i.e. those that require killing a certain amount of enemies or those that require to collect credits. Often players rush to different parts of the map on such bounty stages due to the fact that spawns in one area are not adequate.

29 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Don't you guys just stop doing the mission when you see a leecher? I do..I usually just go off and fish and mine gems the minute one shows up on the plains during a bounty..I'm sure I'll do the same on Venus...They usually just stand there hoping you'll carry them...but instead I really have a fun time by putting on my mic and turing on Netflix, make a sandwich, and commit myself to just doing anything but the missions till said leecher quits out...or I've finally found enough materials to call it a good farm and head back to Cetus and re matchmake with better peoples...

true, it is an option, but its unhealthy for any online game to force players to quit missions and rejoin them just because they are unsatisfied with their team. it disengages players from the game and its really not their fault. trolls, leechers, and afks should not have so much influence on a players experience which is why it is the developers duty to reduce this influence as much as possible in order to create a more enjoyable experience for their players.

1 hour ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

You're also misconstruing my argument, which is that at least leeches will contribute something valuable. It doesn't make it not leeching, and I absolutely think that they should be punished for such behavior. However, the support reporting process isn't the fastest, so at the very least players should be able to glean some benefit from leeches.

I don't really support the idea of cutting players out of rewards because all the proposed methods I've seen run the risk of accidentally punishing players who are otherwise trying to participate.

Nonsense. Leeches existed before POE/Orb Vallis were added to the game, and they would continue to exist if they were for some reason removed. Leeches are a problem because Warframe is driven entirely by rewards rather than compelling gameplay for many players. The game is just pressing a button for a reward, so they seek out the absolute minimum-effort strategies.

That was my point about developing compelling gameplay; if Warframe can evolve to the point that players aren't inclined to run AFK strategies while watching Netflix/Youtube/TV then the leeching problem will diminish.

Do you not understand the fundamentals of your own argument? Who gets to decide if the leecher is contributing something valuable? What happens if the leecher thinks it's valuable while the others don't? The solution is that we're going to give leeching an excuse of "I'm providing something" with no regards to anything else. If a person brings in a Kubrow into a Survival mission, hides at the top of the map, and claims he's "contributing valuable resources and ammo with his Kubrow's dig", who gets to decide if that behavior is good or not?Ultimately, tying any benefit to bad behavior is a good way to propagate said bad behavior.

On the subject on where does leeching come from, this is absolutely ridiculous. No matter how good a game is, as long as you can be rewarded for contributing nothing, leeching will be a thing. No matter how good the gameplay is, how satisfying the experience is, there will be that one guy on his K-Drive flipping around at the opposite side of the map simply because it's the most abhorrent, efficient way to maximize value. If he doesn't get any rewards for not playing the mission he selected and siphoning off free Standing and the Bounty rewards, it would be absolutely pointless for him to sit in a Bounty and flip on his K-Drive at the opposite side of the map. Meanwhile, in contrast, having the most satisfying Fishing/Mining mini-game wouldn't do anything to curb people from doing so while leeching.

Edited by Flandyrll

21 minutes ago, Flandyrll said:

Do you not understand the fundamentals of your own argument? Who gets to decide if the leecher is contributing something valuable?

I certainly do, and DE does. Hence the suggestion, and not mandate.

What happens if the leecher thinks it's valuable while the others don't?

Who cares? It's a mitigation suggestion, not a solve-the-problem suggestion. I think that adding a benefit to the fishing/mining is a better option than attempting to restrict how rewards are handed out, because every suggestion I see for limiting them runs the risk of ensnaring innocent players. For example, some player rushes ahead with Itzal and grabs all 3 caches before their team can catch up.

The solution is that we're going to give leeching an excuse of "I'm providing something" with no regards to anything else.

Not if it's still reportable/bannable behavior. If anything, them attempting to use an excuse will be more solid evidence than them simply remaining silent. As I said, this suggestion would be aimed at ensuring the leeches at least don't come out ahead of the rest of the team when it comes to what they rake in.

If a person brings in a Kubrow into a Survival mission, hides at the top of the map, and claims he's "contributing valuable resources and ammo with his Kubrow's dig", who gets to decide if that behavior is good or not?Ultimately, tying any benefit to bad behavior is a good way to propagate said bad behavior.

Again, not if the behavior is still reportable/bannable. Only the players who are actively trying to game the system will be aware of the potential bad behavior.

On the subject on where does leeching come from, this is absolutely ridiculous. No matter how good a game is, as long as you can be rewarded for contributing nothing, leeching will be a thing. No matter how good the gameplay is, how satisfying the experience is, there will be that one guy on his K-Drive flipping around at the opposite side of the map simply because it's the most abhorrent, efficient way to maximize value. If he doesn't get any rewards for not playing the mission he selected and siphoning off free Standing and the Bounty rewards, it would be absolutely pointless for him to sit in a Bounty and flip on his K-Drive at the opposite side of the map. Meanwhile, in contrast, having the most satisfying Fishing/Mining mini-game wouldn't do anything to curb people from doing so while leeching.

I didn't say that leeching would completely vanish, did I? Let's revisit what I said: The problem would diminish.

My point is that it is only as prevalent as it is because of the issues I mentioned; if Warframe were to improve in that respect fewer players would be inclined to leech.

If you really want to eliminate leeches the solution is clear: disable mining/fishing/conservation while any bounty is active.

I would be all in for disabling mining, fishing, hunting for multiplayer bounties.

Since K-drive is a transport and you are supposed to use it for bounties I wouldn’t disable any gain from it. Yes there would still be someone just flipping with his board instead of playing.

which is still far better than having the sum of leechers of kdrive plus mining, fishing etc.

i can see that kdrive and toroid leechers are the least frequent because those thing net very little reward and are boring as doing the bounties. So even players with leeching attitude prefer contributing to do bounties faster than mindlessly flipping of killing enemies for a chance to get a toroid

4 hours ago, MysticDragonMage said:

• simply disable tranquilizers, fishing spears, and mining drills while a bounty is active. players may use these gear items when a Bounty/Job is completed or failed.
  • significantly reduce or remove loot containers as well as dropped loot from enemies outside of the Bounty/Job areas. once a bounty area is determined by the game, spawn containers within that chosen area,
  • reduce affinity award for killing enemies outside of the bounty/Job area.
  • once a Bounty/Job stage has started, consistently spawn enemies nearby players who are outside of the bounty area.

let them have the completion rewards. what the developers can do, however, is prevent players from "multitasking" while a Bounty/Job is active.

Token +1 for support.

One suggestion to add with regards to mobbing a player who's out of the area, there's already mechanics for that. I believe the Acolytes have a stupidly-long range teleport to bring players into their room. So implement that for bounties: if anyone strays further than a certain distance for a certain amount of time, teleport them back in.

This would only apply to the localised bounty stages e.g. caches, cases, spy, coildrive, rescue.
I'm willing to have the map opened up for the others i.e. exterminate, assassinate.

I mainly play with my clan/friends, and it will became an hindrance if those kind of things came IG. It's "open area", and we already are limited to only 4 players, if you add more rule this open area will become painful.  I want to be able to do bounty while my clan mate want to fish or mining or anything else.

And in my public play, I rarely encounter leecher, is it really a trouble ? The only non intrusive option is to give to the host a kick option (the kicked player keep rewards to ovoid abusive use).

6 hours ago, MysticDragonMage said:

• significantly reduce or remove loot containers as well as dropped loot from enemies outside of the Bounty/Job areas. once a bounty area is determined by the game, spawn containers within that chosen area,

when I do bounties with friends we tend to take turns "leeching"

one or two go off to fish/mine while the others run the bounties.

I am sure there are other groups that do this too.

that is a stupid idea.

people that don't farm vent kids standing but just take the passive income you get from doing a few tricks on the way to the bounty would be screwed

there is this handy option to leave the squad in open world areas that puts you into a solo lobby so you won't have to wait for the others when you want to extract.

and in case you don't know what I am talking about: NO I am NOT talking about going solo. at any point you can click on "leave squad" in the escape menu. This makes you leave the squad and makes you the host of a new lobby, from which you can extract