Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Rework Ideas

SmokingGoldFish

I wanted to make nyx abilities feel useful to use and make her a great support frame.

So here are few ideas to make her kit match the theme and make her fun and unique.

• Passive: Enemies that are killed by Nyx's controlled units have 50% to spawn energy orbs on death.
  1. Mind Control - Nyx can make 1 enemy unit friendly, removing the duration timer on controlled unit but being able to instantly kill the controled unit by pressing the ability button again. Killing the controled unit gives Nyx and nerby alies "Resolution Buff " that increases reload speed and accuracy of equipped weapons. This buff has the duration timer wich is affected by duration mods.
  2. Will Breaker - This is a new ability replacing the "Psychic Bolts" wich marks all enemy units in large range in FOV. Marked targets suffer from a debuff that amplifies damage taken from other enemy units controlled by "Mind Control", "Chaos" or units affected by radiation proc. This ability will also reduce their accuracy and damage by a small percentage (not more than 15%) but only when marked enemies draw fire on Nyx or her alies.
  3. Chaos - Stays same.
  4. Absorb - "Absorb" now has faster casting animation and all enemies in range of the orb prioritize nyx as target. This will help scaling the damage in rooms with lot of enemies and help teammates recover from enemy fire.

Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents to these ideas.

Passive - This one is more my personal views but nyx is a CC frame that more ties enemies up than does a saryn kill them all style. Whilst i love the idea of nyx being able to passively drop energy orbs i don't think nyx's CC'd enemies are intended to be actually killling each other, more just distracting each other. Don't forget that the only skill that is really worth using on nyx is chaos and if enemies are dying, your control is being thinned out and more unchaos'd enemies are spawning in which means you are going to need to recast. Basically nyx's job is to confuse, if enemies die you are having to reconfuse. You don't bring a saryn or mesa into a squad with a nyx.

1st - By removing timer do you mean make it a channeled ability with constant energy drain which blocks nearly all forms of energy regain whilst channeling. Because otherwise i doubt DE will let you perma-control an enemy for a set amount of energy. And if you do make it channeled, as i said, that then blocks most energy regain methods which could work with your proposed passive change but, again, IMO nyx is CC through distraction rather than nuking. Also the being able to instantly kill controlled unit by deactivating ability is not going to happen. Not a problem at lower levels, but being able to nuke heavy units over level 100 by just toggling abilities is broken. I should know as i used to run a buffed EV trin in arbitration survivals for over 50 minutes with no high damage output on the team. when heavy unit eximus came in Energy Vampire could be used on the heavy units to remove like 90% of their base hp whilst stunning them. Also accuracy buffs tend to suck in WF and even i think DE knows it. When shotguns couldn't be balanced with accuracy of pellets and instead had to have damage falloff distances.

2nd - Buffing allies/debuffing enemies is something DE are looking into for nyx but again, accuracy buffs are pointless as nearly all weapons in the game are really rather accurate and those that aren't should be looked at individually rather than have one or two WF skills make the weapon actually hit something for a short period. Frame-weapon synergies are good, but not in the circumstance of 'oh look now i can actually hit something'. As for accuracy debuffing of enemies that is just adding more RNG to being one shot at higher levels where the proposed small damage debuff would also not prevent random one shots at higher levels. Nyx survives by sowing confusion around enemies and essentially holding them in place whilst they fight each other, then remaining far enough away so to not attract attention/AoE. Also whilst increasing damage dealt amongst confused enemies would synergise with your proposed passive i still feel that nyx is not about getting enemies killed but just being control.

3rd - yeah got no problems here obviously. Useful skill is useful (though i hope DE adds synergy with other abilities as this is her main or only use)

4th - Nyx's absorb already increases her aggro. Absorb's major problem is that the damage dealt by absorb is magnetic which is a waste of time. DE know this, they changed the damage type to magnetic in order to nerf it and are now talking about changing the damage type. Your proposal changes nothing but cast time which iirc isn't actually a long cast time, but still not going to complain about quicker cast times. If any of nyx's skills need quicker cast time its chaos.

I don't mean to come across as negative these are just my two cents on your proposals. Some tweaks to your ideas could work imo.

A for effort 😀

25 minutes ago, kierogonal said:

1st - By removing timer do you mean make it a channeled ability with constant energy drain which blocks nearly all forms of energy regain whilst channeling. Because otherwise i doubt DE will let you perma-control an enemy for a set amount of energy. And if you do make it channeled, as i said, that then blocks most energy regain methods which could work with your proposed passive change but, again, IMO nyx is CC through distraction rather than nuking. Also the being able to instantly kill controlled unit by deactivating ability is not going to happen. Not a problem at lower levels, but being able to nuke heavy units over level 100 by just toggling abilities is broken.

First of all thank you for your suggestions!

I meant for first ability have initial energy cost but no duration timer on controled unit, but has duration timer on the buff that killing the enemy instantly provides. So you wouldnt be able to spam it or recast it, only when the buff runs out. That would rule out abusing of the power like one-shotting high levels over and over. Only thing left to talk about is having a unit under control for unlimited amount of time. I think that shouldnt be a problem or OP because that controled target can still get killed by other enemies.

As for the accuracy buff i just wanted to add something not that important or big but more like utility effect so shes not op in the end. Reload speed buff is a primary buff that we would apriciate from that sort of ability. ;)

Oh i see what you mean. Interesting but still has issues. Biggest issue i can see is the fact by tying the minimum duration of mind control to the debuff this locks you into the ability for at least the duration of the debuff which throws up issues in defence missions where the second to last enemy has been killed meaning the last enemy is your mind controlled enemy. This problem already occurs with nidus, nyx and garuda, but with all three you can cancel to bring the enemy back to kill them. The game needs to treat these as enemies because on ability end, they are enemies and will attack the objective meanig the wave cannot be ended with this unit alive. Locking frames into an ability which ties up an enemy is a no no. You could get around this by not making the mind control target invulnerable to ally damage or increasing its survivability in any way, but then you are actually nerfing the ability as currently any friendly damage to it gets saved until ability end AND that ability is still able to be turned off at will by nyx.

Also being able to control a unit like an arson eximus heavy gunner indefinitely is not going to be a good idea. Don't forget that there will be ways to easily heal that target to keep them alive which if the target is worth doing, then you will. DE will either keep the ability as duration based (imo best choice as can still regain energy and durations are usually easily boosted to a long enough time i.e. 25-40 seconds) or will change it to an energy drain ability which would be a nerf over a timed ability with set cost.

Best thing to do with mind control is just to add some synergy with chaos, where if mind controlled enemy is within chaos range when chaos is cast, unit is temporarily healed/damage buffed/draws aggro or links with nyx for sharing damage which would allow nyx to get closer to the fight without the confused enemies turning around and killing her.