How to slightly un-nerf Ember; one step

SaidTheRogue

so it looks like when you use ember's 4, world on fire.. over time, the range reduces/closes up.

it does crappy dmg and it costs alot of energy. is the shortening range thing really necessary? removing this aspect of it would probly make it worth it.

if you cannot remove the range adjustment while active thing.. at least significantly reduce its effect. i have to spend all that energy, spending more to get less, basically? doesnt add up. if a player manages their energy well they deserve to get good performance for it. besides, its not like it even scratches the surface of what saryn does =]

no, dont nerf saryn either, just please tweak the 4-5 frames in the game which are particularly bad.. ember being one of them.

The existence of World on Fire is a paradox that ruins Ember. It is inherently an anti-interactive ability (it just automatically attacks stuff without player input), so any attempt to balance it to be more interactive just turns it into a worse version of itself, as with the -range over time in order to make players recast it more. WoF needs to be scrapped entirely.

They could consider heading further down the path of increasing the damage done and range in conjunction with damage taken and making one of her powers reworked to be passive "actively on" but sets Ember on fire and causes her to take self damage. Ember could also have a cone of fire Area denial power that she could use to set herself on fire. Her Prime Passive could be reworked to give "health when set on fire" (to go in conjunction with Rage & Hunter Adrenaline mods) Something along the lines of a Phoenix theme could be worked in, burning almost to death & or maintaining a burning-proc timer increases damage and range but also self damage, and then basically give her a selfish Oberon's "Phoenix Renewal" she can die in her own flames and be reborn!

Rolling Guard synergy to clear status and play around. Ember could also use some sort of "heat" buff to her weapons akin to Saryn's or give it to the team in an AOE so that Thralls,Shadows,Rumblers maybe even "Mind-controlled" allies could benefit.  

That's 3 power ideas of which any 2 could be combined.

Edited by WarRelic

I hate to admit it but I do think World on Fire has to go, at least in its current iteration.

My idea would be to give her stacks of heat generated over time and then use that heat to reduce the cost of and increase the damage of her 4th ability which would send a burst of fire in all directions, similar to Volt's 4th ability only it could also cause enemies to trigger secondary explosions if they die to the damage. If there are fireballs (napalm) on the ground, when they're hit by the burst it could also cause those to release a mini explosion. There could also be an interaction with her 3rd ability. The effectiveness and use of her 4th ability would wax and wane throughout a mission, allowing it to still nuke a room while not letting it be spammable or abused constantly. 

The forums contain SO many great ideas, the issue is getting the devs to focus more on adjusting our current roster of frames. 

...one problem with so much of this is, too much of this sounds like stuff found on warlocks mages and such, in world of warcraft. lets keep the abilities somewhat simple, thematically appropriate, and above all, keep it warframe. theres already more than enough damage-over-time stuff in the game as it is, for example.

14 hours ago, YUNoJump said:

The existence of World on Fire is a paradox that ruins Ember. It is inherently an anti-interactive ability (it just automatically attacks stuff without player input), so any attempt to balance it to be more interactive just turns it into a worse version of itself, as with the -range over time in order to make players recast it more. WoF needs to be scrapped entirely.

I mean it´s not like there are other games that have passive damage abilities which work just fine, right?

But no problem if offensive abilities arn´t allowed to be sustained they have to change things like Invisibility as well. Or mods like Adaptation and Steel Fiber. They provide defense stats for tank frames without any kind of imput or ressource costs for the entirety of the mission. What? Not a good idea? But it´s more "interactive".

So until we get a button we have to press every second for every single ability, mod or action in this game I suggest we change WoF from flat to % damage which reduces effectiveness in low level and viability in high level at the same time.

Sadly the nerf killed every Ember build that isn't hyper efficient and/or didn't use Overextended. I think any solution for World on Fire would have to involve more active synergy between abilities. That tends to be what DE finds more acceptable for AoE kill frames (I agree). I've previously suggested adding a combo system where Fireball tracks and causes a fire explosion on any enemy primed by the radius of World on Fire, but I'm not sure if DE is open to combo systems. I'd also suggest other things like replacing Fire Blast with a Biotic Charge-like homing dash to push Ember into being a more close quarters offensive frame, and maybe changing her passive to grand armor ignore for fire damage on enemies in close proximity to Ember - but I think Ember is probably pretty far down the list on receiving changes.