Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pro Controller Gyro Vs Joycon Gyro

(NSW)Archaze

I'm a user of gyro aiming and currently the gyro for the pro controller is different to that of the Joycons. In my opinion, the gyro works really well in handheld mode. However, when the Switch is docked and I go to use the pro controller gyro, the X-axis is shifted from left to right, to rotations in either direction (the X-axis is shifted and I can't find a way to change this in game). Apparently this is also an issue in Fortnite and many players have been requesting a change for months to have the X-axis work similar to the handheld Joycon experience.

I don't understand what you mean. What is Gyro controls. Are you talking about the massive lag on the left stick when aiming and dead zone. There also seems to be a lot of input lag and even moving the mouse in menus is impossible. I am experiencing this on the switch Pro controller and my joycons are connected to the switch is this why it is happening?

Gyro aiming is when you aim by tilting the controls rather than using the sticks. Once you get used to it it's far more precise than stick controls. What I mean is when I tilt in handheld mode, the experience is different to when I tilt with the pro controller or the joycons detached from the switch.

https://howthingsfly.si.edu/flight-dynamics/roll-pitch-and-yaw

When you tilt in handheld mode, the pitch axis is up and down, and the tilt for aiming left to right is the roll axis. This is the correct way it should work.

When the joycons are disconnected or when using the pro controller, the pitch axis is up and down, but the yaw axis is left and right. This is wrong and requires users to have to aim differently when using gyro controls.

I don't want to have to steer a car to aim with a pro controller.

• 2 weeks later...

When using gyro controls with detached Joy Cons or Pro Controllers.

-the game only uses 2-axis input instead of 3-axis (for reference examples Breath of the Wild or Odyssey use 3-axis gyro). The result is you have to point the Joy Con or Pro Controller directly at the screen to use gyro control effectively. The natural orientation of the controller in-the-hand is at a 45 degree angle, not parallel with the ground.

- There is a lot of drift when using the gyro controls, meaning the reticle will not come back to it's original orientation in-game when your controller returns to it's original position in real life. Additionally, when halting movement of the controller in real life, the reticle will make seemingly random additional adjustments to your aim (throwing your aim off)..

The gyro controls are needed to make aiming bearable. However, they are a real pain to use right now. To use the Joy Con or Pro Controller gyro controls effectively, I have to hold my forearms up and steady, pointed directly at the screen. To make up for the drift, I have to frequently make huge adjustments to the reticle orientation using the the analog sticks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-11-30 at 3:00 AM, (NSW)SaltedOil said:

The pro controller gyro is much worse than the joy cons, even with sensitivity turned up to 100 it only moves about half as far.

This is my big problem with the gyro aiming so far. I got used to the roll vs yaw stuff the OP posted about but the really low sensitivity vs the joycons (in grip or handheld mode) makes chasing things with just gyro aiming difficult. It just isn't a problem with the joycons, at max sensitivity the joycons can spin you right around within the comfortable range of motion. For the pro pad it is more like having a little cone to work with anchored to where you pointed with the stick. Being able to track targets further without touching the right stick would be a huge boon, but not enough to make me switch back to joycons in the grip. I really hope they do something about it so I don't have to choose!

Ideally the pad controls would have more options for both this and stick aiming so we don't need to beg for the devs to fix the curves for us 😞

• 1 month later...
On 2018-12-10 at 6:02 PM, (NSW)Nahaha said:

When using gyro controls with detached Joy Cons or Pro Controllers.

-the game only uses 2-axis input instead of 3-axis (for reference examples Breath of the Wild or Odyssey use 3-axis gyro). The result is you have to point the Joy Con or Pro Controller directly at the screen to use gyro control effectively. The natural orientation of the controller in-the-hand is at a 45 degree angle, not parallel with the ground.

- There is a lot of drift when using the gyro controls, meaning the reticle will not come back to it's original orientation in-game when your controller returns to it's original position in real life. Additionally, when halting movement of the controller in real life, the reticle will make seemingly random additional adjustments to your aim (throwing your aim off)..

The gyro controls are needed to make aiming bearable. However, they are a real pain to use right now. To use the Joy Con or Pro Controller gyro controls effectively, I have to hold my forearms up and steady, pointed directly at the screen. To make up for the drift, I have to frequently make huge adjustments to the reticle orientation using the the analog sticks.

oh that explains my issues with it and why it feels weird to use. I wish they'd fix this to make it a bit better and more natural feeling like in the first party nintendo games