Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sponsored Youtubers playing Warframe

JacksonT3000

Hey!

This is just my opinion on what I've been seeing recently. Not that I know much about marketing and stuff.

Recently, after the release of Fortuna, many Youtubers who have been sponsored by DE to try Warframe have been making review videos of the game. I understand that it is to help increase the reach and popularity of the game. But, most of these videos I saw were made after just a handful of hours of gameplay...essentially as a new player. Due to this, I'm not sure if they are really able to convey how much there is about the game that we love. Maybe, if DE asked them to play the game for a hundred hours or so (maybe even finish the second dream) and then make videos on Youtube, it would put out a better image of the game as we know it? (Again, I don't even know if it's a reasonable thing to ask of sponsored reviewers, but this is just my opinion). 

Yes I saw a similar one yesterday where this guy was running around Fortuna with his starter gear saying how fun the game is while constantly getting downed or failing to protect extractors and such. Almost any new game with a lot of stuff to do can feel like 'fun' but that isn't really what's going to draw in the customers tbh, I didn't see that person talk about any of the game's other stuff like the dozens of unique weapons and frames or how easy it is to get them as opposed to other F2P games out there that usually makes you PAY for it

Warframe really got a boost in the past when they were just starting out from having a YouTube personality advertise the game. That YouTube personality was Total Biscuits and he totallly opened up Warframe to many of his considerable viewers.

I'm still hoping DE can work something into the game in his memory. I will certainly buy a TB glyph.

Anyways,  my take is that DE wants to reach out to new players. So advertising via YouTubers, with viewership not already commited to Warframe, is precisely the point. And them showing starter gameplan is exactly what new players looking to try WF should be looking at. 

For experienced players, there are already a number of Warframe Partners you can check up for in-depth analysis of high level gameplay.

Edited by wtflag

Youtubers are ok to me,what i dislike are streamers.
I mean just to cut video properly and balance sound can take months,while streams are just 99% stuff that would get cut-out from proper video.
Today they try to cheat me and just upload whole stream to youtube.

But both can promote game,so whatever i guess.
So far videos i watch from youtube warframers are very meh,lacking theory-crafting.

When i watch path of exile,they care about 0.0001% dps difference like if theyr life depended on it,i wish for such personality here
If you can point me to one,i'll welcome it.

I want to see math,different builds etc no "I heard  boltor prime is best dps weapon for eidolon hunt lets max crit on it and pretend it is my original idea with this suboptimal build" 

What I see on youtube is mostly:
"And now guys we will spawn 1 160lvl heavy gunner and i will randomly shoot him missing anywhere from 30% to 70% shots, shooting random body parts"
Look i killed it,and it was bretty dem quick! It is amazing gun!

I m actually curious about what is best because i got almost all ingame and lots of plat to buy rivens
atm i use atterax,lanka and nidus.
I would be curious what does have best dps for multiple 100lvl targets,maybe amprex? Really do not know.
By multiple targets I do not mean that it does have to hit multiple targets but for example tigris prime is trash for my playstyle,because after killing 2 monsters you have to do long reload,while i can take tiberon and go pew pew killing 15 in same time.

I'm maybe not perfectly on-topic but figured people here will know such cool youtubers.

Edited by ---Merchant---

I have issues like this.. like don't get me wrong I love Warframe, but it is far from perfect. It's why I like ppl like Shy or Brozime, who will call stuff out, but you know is done out of love for the game.

Sponsoring ppl like Angry Joe, who logs in once in a blue moon, gifted everything he could want in the game immediately, by players and DE, plays and you can kinda tell he has no clue what's he's doing.

Hes just seeing all these crazy customization stuff, all these weapons, frames, and yeah it looks cool. But then your average F2P player logs in.. they don't have any of this stuff, on top of that.. it's all paid content or stuff you really gotta grind for.

They're thrown through tons of complicated mechanics, old systems, a market full of newb traps, and it's easy to get turned away. Most of which has bad to no tutorials, bc DEs off inventing another new system to throw on the pile.

Total Biscuit was great bc he broke stuff down, the good and the bad, and it helped the game. We need more like that.. 

Edited by (PS4)GbHaseo

5 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

New players aren't any more stupid than you were when deciding to give Warframe a shot. 

I don't get why people are always so worried about them.

Back in my days warframe would just install itself like virus and demand money for power upgrades.
Many things changed,there are truly too many mechanics at play here now.
We could get used to them one by one but they have to jump in and hope to survive.

to get from 40c water to 10c by 1 c at the time does not feel shocking,but try to jump from 40c to 10c water in matter of few seconds.

Yes, but I've read tons of complaints, we've seen stats on player retention, etc.. 

I stayed bc I had someone to explain all the complicated stuff as I went through it. After screwing up a lot of stuff I almost quit. I spend a ton of time on gaming sites, and I see it a lot. Warframe could have a larger player base.

I don't know how many times on PS4 in region, I've had to answer "Where is Cetus on Earth" "How do I change characters" "How can I restart?" 

I mean theres a lot of ppl who still don't know even about the wiki, and so many basic things about the game. 

Just saying "ehh, ppl found out then, theyll find out, now, isn't how stuff improves." It's why DE has been working so hard to keep new players, bc player retention was so low.

A lot has helped, they could still do more.. it's not a bad thing..

A friend of mine tried introducing Warframe to a friend with some of the gameplay between me and him. It scared him away because it was too "fast-paced and hectic". On the other extreme, showing people a 5 minute cut of someone with Rhino and Opticor in a defensive Bounty is also a great way to turn people away from the game.

The reason why you show tame and "new player" gameplay as a introduction is because you want them to see what the game is like at the foundational level so he isn't intimidated or bored by the extremes. It also helps to close the gap from when they actually start playing the game and it gives them room to develop their gameplay as they see fit with little expectation of the end-game.

Edited by Flandyrll

2 minutes ago, (PS4)GbHaseo said:

Yes, but I've read tons of complaints, we've seen stats on player retention, etc.. 

I stayed bc I had someone to explain all the complicated stuff as I went through it. After screwing up a lot of stuff I almost quit. I spend a ton of time on gaming sites, and I see it a lot. Warframe could have a larger player base.

I don't know how many times on PS4 in region, I've had to answer "Where is Cetus on Earth" "How do I change characters" "How can I restart?" 

I mean theres a lot of ppl who still don't know even about the wiki, and so many basic things about the game. 

Just saying "ehh, ppl found out then, theyll find out, now, isn't how stuff improves." It's why DE has been working so hard to keep new players, bc player retention was so low.

A lot has helped, they could still do more.. it's not a bad thing..

If a player can't find the wiki, then this isn't the game for them. WF will never hold your hand through everything, if player isn't smart enough to do research then they're doom to fail.  

5 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

If a player can't find the wiki, then this isn't the game for them. WF will never hold your hand through everything, if player isn't smart enough to do research then they're doom to fail.  

Yeah, there's actually a lot of players that don't use wikis, message boards, etc.. 

All your comment does is come off as

DKnNd06XcAACaRr.jpg

There's nothing wrong with improving systems to help new players. Growing the player base, no matter what skill level, helps the game 

Edited by (PS4)GbHaseo

3 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

You say that like if it was some positive while it is actually great immersion breaker.
I'm mr 26 and i spend 2000hours googling warframe stuff and 1 hour playing :^)) 

6 minutes ago, (PS4)GbHaseo said:

Yeah, there's actually a lot of players that don't use wikis, message boards, etc.. 

All your comment does is come off as

DKnNd06XcAACaRr.jpg

There's nothing wrong with improving systems to help new players. Growing the player base, no matter what skill level, helps the game 

I'm just saying that there is SOOOOOO much info, that its not practical to imagine it would all make it into the game unless they transferred the wiki to be in game

2 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I'm just saying that there is SOOOOOO much info, that its not practical to imagine it would all make it into the game unless they transferred the wiki to be in game

See now that's a fair reply, that's a point that I can understand.

I'm not saying dump everything in, although a giant codex is always a great to see, but I'm talking about improving systems to help players early on.

Like modding, it's thrown in way too fast, maybe push it later, with a nice simple tutorial explaining a couple different builds, how mods are found, etc..

Most players don't know for awhile you can even farm other frames from bosses. The game throws a lot right off the bat. I don't blame DE, Warframe is a game built off throwing new systems on top of old systems.

It does create issues though.

I'm just merely pointing out, WF has always had an issue of player retention. It's gotten better, and it could improve more. Sponsoring certain things could lead to negative experiences, bc ppl aren't shown what the game truly is. 

11 minutes ago, (PS4)GbHaseo said:

See now that's a fair reply, that's a point that I can understand.

I'm not saying dump everything in, although a giant codex is always a great to see, but I'm talking about improving systems to help players early on.

Like modding, it's thrown in way too fast, maybe push it later, with a nice simple tutorial explaining a couple different builds, how mods are found, etc..

Most players don't know for awhile you can even farm other frames from bosses. The game throws a lot right off the bat. I don't blame DE, Warframe is a game built off throwing new systems on top of old systems.

It does create issues though.

I'm just merely pointing out, WF has always had an issue of player retention. It's gotten better, and it could improve more. Sponsoring certain things could lead to negative experiences, bc ppl aren't shown what the game truly is. 

They are acutely self aware of what they lack and the price castle building has brought, they also live with it as there are only so many hours in a day.

Edited by Firetempest

If all the sponsored YouTubers have to wait for weeks, then all the non-sponsored ones will just release their reviews and no one will bother watching when the sponsored reviews comes out. There's a reason professional reviewers hates companies that won't give them early review codes in advance of release: because it's well known in the industry that people only watch reviews in the first short period immediately after release and if you sleep on a review, you'll loose revenue.

So unless DE could somehow gives those sponsored YouTubers early access to try major releases like this before the rest of us, it really wouldn't be fair to demand it from them.

In my opinion, this situation is not only with Warframe - with any game.
All commercials begin with character creation, some kind of enthusiastic general statements about the gameplay and plot, and five minutes of gameplay in the initial location (mission).
Only a small part of YouTube specializes in a particular game and devotes its entire content to it. With carefully reviewing all the mechanics of the game.

2 minutes ago, Falconer777 said:

In my opinion, this situation is not only with Warframe - with any game.
All commercials begin with character creation, some kind of enthusiastic general statements about the gameplay and plot, and five minutes of gameplay in the initial location (mission).
Only a small part of YouTube specializes in a particular game and devotes its entire content to it. With carefully reviewing all the mechanics of the game.

Welcome guys today we will look in to top 5 things to do in warframe !

1. Customize your  warframe colors!
2. Customize colors of your pet!
3. Customize colors of your ship!
4. Customize colors of your guns!
5. Shoot stuff!

-Read by woman that sounds exactly like woman from other video about top 5,10,15... stuff

Sound familiar?

2 минуты назад, ---Merchant--- сказал:

Welcome guys today we will look in to top 5 things to do in warframe !

1. Customize your  warframe colors!
2. Customize colors of your pet!
3. Customize colors of your ship!
4. Customize colors of your guns!
5. Shoot stuff!

-Read by woman that sounds exactly like woman from other video about top 5,10,15... stuff

Sound familiar?

Exactly!))))

14 minutes ago, rune_me said:

If all the sponsored YouTubers have to wait for weeks, then all the non-sponsored ones will just release their reviews and no one will bother watching when the sponsored reviews comes out. There's a reason professional reviewers hates companies that won't give them early review codes in advance of release: because it's well known in the industry that people only watch reviews in the first short period immediately after release and if you sleep on a review, you'll loose revenue.

So unless DE could somehow gives those sponsored YouTubers early access to try major releases like this before the rest of us, it really wouldn't be fair to demand it from them

Well the cases I mentioned was Angry Joe, he's just done videos where he reviews literally stuff like fashion, standing in a relay, doing a couple Earth missions. Proclaiming it amazing, goes to Tennocon, hypes it up like he's a huge fan and plays it a lot, but he doesn't.

I'm all for stuff like DE did where they sponsored My Name Is Byf from Destiny to do some lore videos, etc. Those were nice..

1 minute ago, (PS4)GbHaseo said:

Well the cases I mentioned was Angry Joe, he's just done videos where he reviews literally stuff like fashion, standing in a relay, doing a couple Earth missions. Proclaiming it amazing, goes to Tennocon, hypes it up like he's a huge fan and plays it a lot, but he doesn't.

I'm all for stuff like DE did where they sponsored My Name Is Byf from Destiny to do some lore videos, etc. Those were nice..

tbh dude with 500k scrubscribers vs 3millions,i can see why would they support joe instead.

Lets pay pewdiepie 1000platinum to promote warframe.

27 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

They are acutely self aware of what they lack and the price castle building has brought, they also live with it as there are only so many hours in a day.

Even before this they were showing graphs of player retention being poor on streams, so they're very aware. They're also trying to make $ for their owners who are trying to launch a new LotR MMO using Warframe's model.

They are trying, this whole year they've been redoing new player stuff, not denying that, it's great, it's awesome.

doesn't mean I can't say more doesn't need done, even as they're working on it.

6 минут назад, (PS4)GbHaseo сказал:

They're also trying to make $ for their owners who are trying to launch a new LotR MMO using Warframe's model.

Wow. This is interesting. I did not know about it.
Checked - exactly: https://www.pcgamer.com/warframes-parent-company-is-working-on-a-new-lord-of-the-rings-online-game/

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/427289-new-aaa-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-announced