Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Advice on Primed Vigor vs Primed Shred

(PSN)skorpio_ink

Question

Hello Tenno!

Thanks for taking time to read my question and hopefully offer some advice. I almost exclusively run Octavia, Tenora, Orthos Prime, and Smeeta Kavat. I'm coming up on my 200th Log-In reward and am having a hard time deciding which one would benefit me most. I've ruled out Primed Fury because I use Berserker and am happy with it. Most people will instantly say to go Primed Shred then because they feel Primed Vigor is a waste. But is it?

Octavia is squishy to begin with, so I thought the Primed Vigor would help with her survivability. Plus, I use Link Health and Link Shields on my Kavat, and to my understanding Primed Vigor works in sync with those which in turn should really help my Kavat stay alive as well. My Tenora uses regular Shred already and also has Riven Mod with extra damage, so I feel like I obliterate most enemies as is.

It seems like Primed Vigor is the best choice for my setup, but all my research indicates it's a bunk mod. Are there Pros or Cons that I might not be thinking about?

17 answers to this question

Primed Vigor is not used because shields don't get the benefit of armor and also get completely ignored by lots of damage, so half the mod is not very useful. Vitality is a more useful survivability mod, and on some super squishy frames with low health, you want Quick Thinking + Primed Flow.

I would actually go with Primed Fury anyway because Shred is not that commonly used and Berserker is bad on non-crit weapons that you don't plan to use Blood Rush with (or that you only use quick melee with), but Primed Shred is still definitely of more use than Primed Vigor, which I would only equip while leveling a warframe.

For survivability, I find Vitality to be superior to Primed Vigor (or Redirection), what with Slash procs / Toxin damage,
and there being more things that can (passively) restore / bolster Health (Companions, Arcanes, Squad abilities).

Plus, there's Umbral Vitality, which if combined with at least one other Umbral Mod,
will give a bigger boost than either regular Vitality or Primed Vigor
(BTW, Rank 9 UmVit with a +1 set bonus gives +500% which makes your Health value look neater lol).

2 hours ago, (PS4)skorpio_ink said:

Octavia is squishy to begin with

She kind of isn't if you stay invisible 😛

2 hours ago, (PS4)skorpio_ink said:

Hello Tenno!

Thanks for taking time to read my question and hopefully offer some advice. I almost exclusively run Octavia, Tenora, Orthos Prime, and Smeeta Kavat. I'm coming up on my 200th Log-In reward and am having a hard time deciding which one would benefit me most. I've ruled out Primed Fury because I use Berserker and am happy with it. Most people will instantly say to go Primed Shred then because they feel Primed Vigor is a waste. But is it?

Octavia is squishy to begin with, so I thought the Primed Vigor would help with her survivability. Plus, I use Link Health and Link Shields on my Kavat, and to my understanding Primed Vigor works in sync with those which in turn should really help my Kavat stay alive as well. My Tenora uses regular Shred already and also has Riven Mod with extra damage, so I feel like I obliterate most enemies as is.

It seems like Primed Vigor is the best choice for my setup, but all my research indicates it's a bunk mod. Are there Pros or Cons that I might not be thinking about?

Of the two mods you mentioned, I use Primed Vigor more in builds than I do Primed Shred.  This is mostly because I use Bows and snipers which already have innate punch-thru and the speed increase Primed Shred gives isn't worth the mod cost in direct comparison to Speed Trigger.  

If you use a lot of automatic primaries and semi-automatic primaries that lack punch-through and play warframes that are heavily reliant on HP and armor while having terrible shields, Primed Shred is 100% the way to go. If you play a lot of Warframes that have decent shields and tend to be good and mostly not getting hit while only occasionally getting nicked and don't use a lot of automatic or semi-automatic primaries that lack punch-through, Primed Vigor ain't a bad choice. That said, there are a lot more guns that'll get good mileage out of Primed Shred than there are Warframes that can get good mileage out of Primed Vigor.

Shields aren't near as bad as most folks say, but neither are they idiot proof. You have to have a way to make time for your shields to recharge (usually above and beyond sitting in a corner and praying), and that's not really a thing every Warframe is good at doing. Also have to have decent shield totals.

Primed Vigor is used for specific frames just as Primed Shred is used for specific guns.

Both can lead to preference and neither will get 100% use.

Primed Vigor is good on frames like Nekros, Mesa, Trinity, Gara and Nova. (RIP Chroma). Frames that have innate damage resistance buffs but at no point do you really use Primed Vigor on it's own. In case of these frames sometimes it's better to use shields over Health due to damage modifiers. ie the Void is mostly Puncture damage.

Primed Shred is good on any body-shot weapon like Supra Vandal, Ignis, or Paracist. Generally weapons that aren't head-shot oriented. Choosing to use it on a head-shot weapon is preference. I'll just leave it as that cuz a conversation about punch-through head-shots gets silly quickly.

Primed Fury gets used on all non-crit Melee and often Glaives or Blade guns. Hybrid melee is ideal but I think Lesion has shown the community a pure status melee can do quite well. Esp if you throw a little Zakti in the mix.

1 minute ago, Xzorn said:

I'll just leave it as that cuz a conversation about punch-through head-shots gets silly quickly.

It only gets silly because of those that haven't actually tried it and realize that it's wasted effort except in very rare cases.  It's actually a very good way to see if someone is talking out the side of their neck or really know what they're talking about. 😄

Primed Shred is pretty awesome on slow gun such as Quartakk (best to use), Grinlok, or even Lanka for extremely, exceedingly, extraordinarily, tremendously deep Punch through 😛

Can also be pretty good on Supra vandal, Heavy Caliber (no need Serration) + Primed Shred for extreme room mobbing !

If you use Daikyuu you will want Primed Shred too cuz' it requires full pull to fire arrow, and also, fantastically moarrr punch through 😛

Primed Vigor, well... None of my WF build even need it... So idk how to describe its usefulness...

5 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Primed Vigor is good on frames like Nekros

Eh, maybe (Shields gain damage reduction from Shield Of Shadows),
but if you're (also) using Health Conversion, that of course only benefits Health.
(Plus with Despoil costing you Health, it can be nice to have more of that, heh.)

5 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Nova

Null Star gives up to 90% damage reduction, but only to Health, so I'd say Vitality is better there, as well.
(Also, you can get to / beyond +45% Strength via Umbral Mods, i.e. without needing to sacrifice Duration / another Mod slot.)

15 hours ago, (PS4)skorpio_ink said:

I've ruled out Primed Fury because I use Berserker and am happy with it.

that's unless you're using/planning to use zenistar

in most cases vitality > vigor, even primed, because shields are useless

15 hours ago, (PS4)skorpio_ink said:

Octavia is squishy to begin with, so I thought the Primed Vigor would help with her survivability

hell no, octavia is not squishy at all if you are using your armor buff and vitality (and you should) + invisibility.

Primed shred feels like a waste for me too to be honest, unless you're using bows.

Edited by rsod25

7 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Eh, maybe (Shields gain damage reduction from Shield Of Shadows),
but if you're (also) using Health Conversion, that of course only benefits Health.
(Plus with Despoil costing you Health, it can be nice to have more of that, heh.)

Null Star gives up to 90% damage reduction, but only to Health, so I'd say Vitality is better there, as well.
(Also, you can get to / beyond +45% Strength via Umbral Mods, i.e. without needing to sacrifice Duration / another Mod slot.)

I mentioned at no point do you really use Primed Vigor on it's own.

You would use both Vitality and Prime Vigor. You can also go Vitality + QT + P. Vigor for Nova.

Adaptation might take the spot in some situations. I haven't done much testing with the mod yet but Umbra mods are very constricting to having multiple builds.

Number of rifle builds I use Primed Shred on:  Most of them, and that definitely includes Tenora.  It's totally worth the upgrade.

Number of Warframe builds I used Primed Vigor on: Almost none.  That includes all 9 of my Octavia builds.  For Octavia, survivability is about staying mobile, being invisible, and using Resonator as CC.  For mods it's just Vitality, if anything.  For pets, Link Health and Link Shields are important, but I depend a lot on Pack Leader + melee for keeping them alive.

1 hour ago, Buff00n said:

Number of rifle builds I use Primed Shred on:  Most of them, and that definitely includes Tenora.  It's totally worth the upgrade.

Number of Warframe builds I used Primed Vigor on: Almost none.  That includes all 9 of my Octavia builds.  For Octavia, survivability is about staying mobile, being invisible, and using Resonator as CC.  For mods it's just Vitality, if anything.  For pets, Link Health and Link Shields are important, but I depend a lot on Pack Leader + melee for keeping them alive.

Thanks so much, this is pretty much the direct answer I was looking for! I use Pack Leader already and I switched out Vigor for Vitality. Super excited for Primed Shred now in just 10 days, the Tenora is such a satisfying gun to use and can wait to wreck!

15 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Number of rifle builds I use Primed Shred on:  Most of them

same here. (except i use it on a lot, not most)

also any time i even equip vigor on a frame i remember that running, and jumping around exists, so i unequip it. health and shield mods seem like a waste of a slot to me. with a few exceptions of course, but that's generally how i feel about em. 

Primed shred will work better on your tenora than primed vigor on your Octavia.

Primed vigor is very niche and I am yet to find a reason to run it over either QT or Vitality on any of my frames. This is mostly because boosting shields is rarely advantageous in any scenario.

Meanwhile I cry as I will have to wait another 100 days for primed sure footed.

But really, I would have went for Primed Fury. It can go on your Helios's deconstructor even if you don't use it. Personally I ditched berserker even on the crit weapons for P Fury.

Primed Shred and Primed Vigor are just too niche.

I would say for my 400 days login i picked primed shred over primed vigor.

Here is why - Vitality and Redirection is what I use on frames that need HP and shield, 
but then again, if a frame is squishy it might be better using 

Quick Thinking + Rage/ Hunter Adrenaline to prevent getting 1-hitted.
Than the 220% HP and Shield Primed Vigor provides,
which you will most likely ends up using another slot for Vitality mod to increase survivalbility.

On 2018-11-28 at 1:30 AM, Buff00n said:

Number of rifle builds I use Primed Shred on:  Most of them

I run shred on almost every rifle that is not a sniper rifle, because rifles are essentially point fire weapons, 
without punch through you limit the weapon to hit 1 enemy at a time, 

This is especially important for semi auto weapons like Sybaris, Grinlok, Latron, Veldt and even Tiberon Prime on semi auto.
as well as Tenora for charged shot because not only will it charge faster, it comes with a 2.2m punch through that can shoot through 4 enemies.

Even bow benefits from shred, since uncharged shot in a hurry would still go through multiple enemies 
and you simply charge up faster.

On a lot of occasions you will encounter a shield grineer in front of a heavy gunner, or 
a corrupted heavy gunner in front of corrupted ancient healer. Without punch through
it is harder to kill those enemies, and letting them close in to your position
the Primed Vigor stats won't really make that much of a difference in helping you cope with overwhelming enemies.