New warframe concept: The Archon

Thanzilla

I noticed that while we have a few warframes relying solely on life for survival, we have none with just shields. Here is a new warframe suggestion to remedy this:

The Archon.

Health 0 (0 at rank 30 , or 1 and 1 at rank 30 depending on what is possible with the game engine.)

Shield 250 (750 at rank 30)

Armor 0

Energy 150 (250 at rank 30)

Sprint Speed 1.0

Abilities

Passive: 100% chance to avoid slash, toxin and gas effects (and whatever else bypasses shields)

1.Feedback

Sends an energy wave in a cone in front of you that absorbs enemy shields and grants them to the Archon. If the enemies have no shields then the enemies gets thrown out of balance for a few seconds leaving them prone, unable to attack and open to finishers. (kinda like inaros' 1 but with shield synergy).

2. Power overwhelming

The archon's shield recharge automatically starts and cannot be stopped by anyone or anything for a certain amount of time. If he is at full shields then he recharges overshields. Grants an increase to the archon's overshields limit depending on the archon's ability strength. (Possible augment: Immunity to magnetic procs or granting allies overshields and shield regen as well.)

After the skill's duration ends the Archon is unable to use it again for a while. (like with elite sanctuary onslaught when you use an ability too much and it becomes unavailable)

3. Void zone

The archon creates a zone of void energy sapping any enemy's attack speed/ fire rate and projectile speed that is foolish enough to enter. While in the zone the archon gains extra weapon elemental damage depending on what enemies are in the zone with him. Radiation for grineer, magnetic for corpus and heat for infested. Corrupted enemies are immune to the void zone's effects. 

4. Search and destroy

The archon emits a massive wave of magnetic resonance in all directions. Enemies are marked on the map, briefly disoriented and shortly after are dealt a massive amount of magnetic damage.The archon gains damage resistance that lasts x seconds. Each enemy affected increases the magnetic damage dealt by y% amount and reduces the duration of the damage resistance by 1/10th. The idea is to either use it as a nuke or a way to survive a tough boss fight at sortie level. 

All numbers in this concept are to be balanced by the devs. This is a rough idea of what i think would nicely fit the warframe type that seems to be missing from the game.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Thanzilla
Typo and some better wording

If you want to make it fully reliant on shields like other frames have to fully rely on health ( Like inaros and nidus ) then i'd place the numbers for shield a whole lot higher since there are frames that had higher then 250 on lvl 1 that don't have to rely completely on shields. Something like 1K shields at base and 4K at max lvl without adding in mods at the bare minimum. 

And since there is not even armor as well, Archon will most likely be killed rather quick in most missions with your current stats.

Especially since shields are going down a lot quicker then health combined with armor. Trust me, shields go down rather quick in higher lvl's and if we go with the corpus then your shields become like a paper shield. So to have it sustainable, the numbers should be rather high in the first place.

As for her passive, maybe make it a 100% chance to ignore status effects in general? Otherwise corpus might be a bit too rough with all their magnetic procs.

As for her ult, while damage resistance is nice, it is also useless if you went for a shield focused frame. Instead of going with that, maybe make it do something related to the shields like overshield?

Il y a 1 heure, Shai a dit :

Your 1 is harrows 1

Not at all. Harrow's 1 is a line, not a cone, and it stuns enemies no matter how much health/shield they have, and doesn't open them to finishers.

Well, there are some nice ideas here, but as Arturia said, shields go down way too quickly at high level and Archon would be useless pretty fast, unless the damage reduction from his 4 is significant - in which case I'd play him with a duration/range build, without neglecting strength as the % reduction would scale with it.

1 hour ago, Retrijeuj said:

Well, there are some nice ideas here, but as Arturia said, shields go down way too quickly at high level and Archon would be useless pretty fast, unless the damage reduction from his 4 is significant - in which case I'd play him with a duration/range build, without neglecting strength as the % reduction would scale with it.

The general idea is that the damage reduction is significant enough to let Archon survive a tough boss fight at sortie level. For example if you play around with mesa's 3 and build for shield you can see that enemies have kind of a hard time removing your shield with that 95% reduction. If you couple that with Archon's 2 then he becomes really good at surviving. That's why i think that his 2 should have a cooldown and a short duration as well. (like 3 seconds base duration and 5 seconds cooldown)

So this way you would either go for ability strength + range if you want to nuke or -range + duration + ability strength if you want to survive.

Edited by Thanzilla

no health... so you are asking for a frame thats already dead, yes? because health is literally the blood and flesh of the frame, so is this a corpse? a robot? wait, robots have health too, so a floating shield emitter?, how do you get no health without being dead even with robots, even sentinels have health

Edited by Ocerkin

29 minutes ago, Ocerkin said:

no health... so you are asking for a frame thats already dead, yes? because health is literally the blood and flesh of the frame, so is this a corpse? a robot? wait, robots have health too, so a floating shield emitter?, how do you get no health without being dead even with robots, even sentinels have health

To be clear the frame would probably have a little health, but barely significant like 50hp at Max. Also I can't tell if this post is sarcasm or not.

Il y a 21 heures, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 a dit :

Nidus doesn’t use health, he just has only health and armor, no shields. Try again.

Okay then, how about Ember and Nezha both using fire, Octavia an Banshee both using sound, or Rhino and Atlas both using the ground ?

My point is, if you limit warframes by one per type, you'll end up being limited at some point, or having to use concepts that make less and less sense.

I think this is a really interesting idea. A frame with 0 health and only shields.

It makes me think of something like this for a different frame:

When shields are fully depleted the frame shuts down for a cooldown period after which the shields regenerate and it is active again. Frame essentially does not have bleed out and cannot fail missions due to being killed, but is literally pulled out of the action whenever the shields deplete. Give it like 20K shields after extensive modding or something to make it not get insta-gibbed.

Also keep the above passives regarding health damaging procs (they wouldn't do anything to a frame with 0 health).

But abilities to look something like this:

1 - Pulse

Frame sends out a pulse of energy that knocks back targets in a line, with moderate punchthrough and knocks down staggered opponents

2- Overdrive

Frame targets an ally and gives a buff that procs when the frame is disabled, sending them into an overcharge state until the frame reactivates (increasing shield regen and granting overshields) 

Frame targets an enemy and gives a buff that procs when the frame is disabled, overcharging enemy shields and causing a magnetic status proc, affects non-shielded enemies with a blast proc

3- Energy distortion

Frame creates a distortion field that causes a radiation and magnetic proc while dealing finisher damage in an explosion once the field times out

Pulse used on an energy distortion field causes it to explode immediately

4- Sacrifice - Charge ability

While not charged it drains 50% of the Frame's current shield amount and does an AOE burst for 10x the damage drained as magnetic damage

While fully charged it drains 100% of the frames shield and causes the frame to separate from its body. It becomes ethereal and can move with free range motion like Wukong's monkey cloud. Pressing the ability again will deal 15x drained shield amount as damage in an AOE as magnetic damage (with 20k shields this would result in a single 300K explosion that causes the frame to be shutdown for its cooldown period)

Enemies affected by energy distortion would take 100% of damage dealt as radiation instead of magnetic

Edited by Leqesai

On 2018-11-28 at 1:14 AM, Ocerkin said:

I am not really a Warframe lore expert but I assume DE can spin in any way they want since they create the lore. From my limited lore knowledge i would think that archon could be a warframe that went through the void and was changed, or was created there in the first place, which made archon discard his mortal flesh and ascend into a pure energy state leaving him with nothing but his shield to survive.

Something that needs to be addressed for aNY shield reliant frame is the fact that some procs ignore them, specifically gas, toxin, and slash. As long as those can do what they do, a single slash proc is all that is needed to bring a frame down.

Also a simple easy fix for shields and DR would be to have armor apply to the shields as a potential passive.

I'd fully support DE trying to do a shield tank as it might mean some buffs to shields in general. Also when's the last time we got a low armor frame?

19 minutes ago, Ohmlink said:

Something that needs to be addressed for aNY shield reliant frame is the fact that some procs ignore them, specifically gas, toxin, and slash. As long as those can do what they do, a single slash proc is all that is needed to bring a frame down.

Also a simple easy fix for shields and DR would be to have armor apply to the shields as a potential passive.

I'd fully support DE trying to do a shield tank as it might mean some buffs to shields in general. Also when's the last time we got a low armor frame?

I guess it wouldn't be too hard or bad for DE to weave into the frames origin/lore that some part of its being a purely energy being either makes it have and need no hp, or be immune to some status effects bypassing shields. The first is probably better. 

You will need to have the health be 1. I know you have disclaimer but just assume that the engine reads 0 hp is dead.

Also you'll want to put some sort of duration, strength numbers so folks can tell which abilities you envision archon will relying on for damage, survival, etc. Yes, devs can do that in-house but a starting point is nice for everyone and makes the concept more complete.

15 minutes ago, (XB1)Nightseid said:

You will need to have the health be 1. I know you have disclaimer but just assume that the engine reads 0 hp is dead.

Also you'll want to put some sort of duration, strength numbers so folks can tell which abilities you envision archon will relying on for damage, survival, etc. Yes, devs can do that in-house but a starting point is nice for everyone and makes the concept more complete.

Like I said I'm sure there's a work around. This is hardly the main issue anyway. The concept of the frame is awesome and holds much potential. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)negativ21 said:

Like I said I'm sure there's a work around. This is hardly the main issue anyway. The concept of the frame is awesome and holds much potential. 

Im not saying it's a bad concept, I too have a similar 1 hp concept. The point of my comment was that the concept feels incomplete without some ability numbers.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)Nightseid said:

Im not saying it's a bad concept, I too have a similar 1 hp concept. The point of my comment was that the concept feels incomplete without some ability numbers.

Makes sense makes sense. Personally I find it a turn off if a suggestion on rework or frame has too many stats, mainly bc it leads to people discussing too much about the stats themselves (this dur is too high, that DR is op, those effects won't be up to par etc) than the main idea of the frame or abilities. 

Also it's a headache to process lol. 

13 hours ago, (XB1)Nightseid said:

I've already posted some stats but frames like these can't be balanced properly without actually playing them and seeing how the effects interact with each other. Like the damage reduction  of the fourth ability with  the energy shield recharge oh the second, what if players use Quick thinking or shield recharge rate mods? Will that buy them enough time to activate the 2nd again after the cooldown ends? What if they go into operator mode etc.

Having said that i will post some subjective stats of how i think Archon should be just for fun's sake.

Feedback should  absorb 100% of enemy shields. That would be a lot of shields in high levels and next to nothing in lower ones. It should probably be unaffected by ability power. The duration of the stagger could be 3 seconds base. affected by duration mods.

Power overwhelming could have 3 seconds base duration (affected by duration mods) and 5 seconds cooldown (unaffected). Overshield limit would be increased by 50% of whatever the current overshield limit is (affected by ability strength).

Void zone's reduction to mobs attack fire and projectile speed could be at  50% unaffected by ability strength while the extra elemental damage could be at 40% (affected by ability strength). I would love if this was a toggleable ability that drains energy and just manifests around the archon wherever he goes but a static globe lasting 20 seconds would be ok as well.

The damage reduction on Archon's 4 should be  capped at 90-95% with sufficient ability strength modded on the frame. The duration on the reduction could be 20 seconds base (affected by duration mods) and reduced by 1/10th for each enemy hit. This would mean that if it hits 10 enemies, then he gets no damage reduction at all but he gets, let's say, 10% more dmg for each enemy hit. So if he hits 20 enemies he can increase the damage of the magnetic proc by 200%. The base damage could be at 1500 magnetic with no ability strength mods eqquiped. Magnetic is a really bad damage type.

On another note, i feel like his 3 could be slightly complicated because it does a lot of things at once. I also don't know how hard it would be to code an ability that recognizes what type of enemies you are fighting. So i thought that maybe it could spawn a clone of you that does something else instead. Not sure what though. Maybe two scythe holding melee assassins that are always invisible and fuse into a dark version of you when they get enough kills that then slows the enemy and attacks like a specter of you.

7 hours ago, Thanzilla said:

another note, i feel like his 3 could be slightly complicated because it does a lot of things at once. I also don't know how hard it would be to code an ability that recognizes what type of enemies you are fighting. So i thought that maybe it could spawn a clone of you that does something else instead. Not sure what though. Maybe two scythe holding melee assassins that are always invisible and fuse into a dark version of you when they get enough kills that then slows the enemy and attacks like a specter of

At this point I worry DE will be heavily under risk of copyright infringement if they actually use some of these ideas and names 😂😂.

29 minutes ago, (PS4)negativ21 said:

At this point I worry DE will be heavily under risk of copyright infringement if they actually use some of these ideas and names 😂😂.

Yea maybe that would be going too far.

For those who don't know. A starcraft unit called Dark Archon is formed when two Dark templars, which are invisible melee units, fuse together. Dark archons have an ability called Feedback {that does something completely different from what i suggested) and the normal archon sometimes says "Power overwhelming".That's where any similarities between this concept and the starcraft units end though. DE Could change those to something else if they think that compromises this warframe's design.