Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's up with "host migration"?

(XBOX)BoomBazookaJD

Question

Yesterday was a nightmare; I was kicked twice in a row after receiving a "host migration" notice. I've had this at least once every time I've played but it never booted me from the game completely. It would pop up and then play would continue. 

I was teamed up with a friend and first they were the one who organized the party, then after the second dc, I organized the party. I'm not tech savvy but I assume that the leader of the party is the "host", again whatever that means. 

Is this a problem with this game and does it reoccur? Is DE working towards a solution? 

Each time the DC followed 10 rounds of defense, and the third and final dc (I refused to log back in) was on a solo mission on Mercury. 

I'm incredibly weary of sinking time into this game now that this issue has popped up, ESPECIALLY because you lose ALL of your rewards. Btw, that's a ridiculously effed up situation. You should at least get what you had at the time of the dc. 

2 answers to this question

Im not sure how hosting works but from what i experienced i think its when anyone disconnects. But to be honest im not sure.

I was doing a 4 round Hemocyte when plague star was around and we were doing badly it seemed every 5 min or so a team member would leave and every time there was a host migration. But the mission would be back to where we left of no real disruption. 

in saying that though, i have had a few, not a lot of host migrations where the mission basically ended and i was back at the orbiter.

As warframe uses a peer to peer system for hosting the online, you are pretty much at the mercy of the everyone's connection. Host migration happens when the hosting player (the person that has a 1 next to their name) leaves in most cases. I don't really pay attention so can't say for sure how the host get picked or if it is always the person starting the group.

I believe it can also happen when the connection is bad enough it tries to make the second person in line take over hosting. From what you said I'm assuming you were playing with just your friend so this might be what is happening. You could try increasing your ping limit, though that could have problems all on its own.

Personally after 1300+ hours I don't see it that often, but it definitely hurts after a long surv/def and you get kicked.