Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Beginners To-Do List?

(NSW)Torkupine

Question

Hey All,

First week with Warframe and I've been doing some reading on the different wikis and articles about the various items, mechanics etc. 

I was wondering what you guys would recommend working toward as new player? I just hit max rank on my starting frame, primary, secondary and melee and picked up a new secondary so my work toward the next mastery is going to be kind of slow since I'll only be ranking up the one item correct?

Im almost at a loss for an actual question to ask you all, but I'll start by asking: what do you recommend I hop into or try to focus on? should I just be doing each and every mission and trying to open up the solar map as much as possible? Or should I be trying to get new gear so I can keep raising my mastery rank? Should I wait until a certain mastery to even bother with syndicates? 

Let me know what you wish you knew as a newbie! Thanks all

20 answers to this question

Do the star chart and try to buy all the weapons you can with credits - there are a few starter weapons for credits.

Use your starter plat to buy weapon and frame slots.  Nothing else.

Once you build up some credits, have a browse through the market at the weapon blueprints.  Buy a couple you can make and use.

I suggest like ,everyone else said, just focus on clearing the star chart.

And a quick tip, neptune has a place called the index. It is the best way to get credits in the game but only go for it if you have the right loadout. So a personal goal could be to be able to do it on your own. But don't prioritize this just try it out a little later. By around MR 5 you should be able to run it and rack up millions.

Echoing Star Chart completion as a main goal and a great tip was picking up weapons with credits where you can to start working on your MR.  (something i didn't do early on).

Use/practice parkour wherever you can and get good at it, it'll help later on.  Proficiency in rolling, bullet jumping, aim gliding and aim glide shooting goes a long way.

Agreed star chart highest priority INCLUDING the quests (check your codex); Don't worry to much on the Cetus side of things as it will put you off save it for the time you are ready (After the war or even second dream)... Learn the mechanics farm your mods and frames; YES the chart will become hard but before you know it they will not be so bad wiki is your best friend.

2 hours ago, (NSW)Torkupine said:

should I just be doing each and every mission and trying to open up the solar map as much as possible? Or should I be trying to get new gear so I can keep raising my mastery rank?

Both, actually. You'll probably want to have a few really good weapons to fall back on if things get tough (I've heard really good things about the Hek (Shotgun) and the Lex (Pistol)), but whenever possible, you want to be leveling up new gear. There's more MR ranks than is needed for even end-game stuff, so you could technically stop at 18, but that means that if/when the devs release stuff for higher MR ranks, you'll have a lot of work to do to catch up. Better to do it passively when you don't need to than to have to grind it all at once.

Other than that, I will parrot the suggestions everyone else has given: do Starchart, complete quests, and buy slots with your starting plat.

hace 26 minutos, (XB1)D34thst41ker dijo:

Both, actually. You'll probably want to have a few really good weapons to fall back on if things get tough (I've heard really good things about the Hek (Shotgun) and the Lex (Pistol)), but whenever possible, you want to be leveling up new gear. There's more MR ranks than is needed for even end-game stuff, so you could technically stop at 18, but that means that if/when the devs release stuff for higher MR ranks, you'll have a lot of work to do to catch up. Better to do it passively when you don't need to than to have to grind it all at once.

Other than that, I will parrot the suggestions everyone else has given: do Starchart, complete quests, and buy slots with your starting plat.

Yup, you can do both things without any problem.

Hek, Lex/Aklex and Galatine are powerful weapons for starters. Also you can farm rhino and make your farm a bit more easy with a build focused on stomp and iron skin.

Saying "complete the Star Chart" is not an immediate goal. It's like saying "beat the game", effectively.

My suggestions are:

Buy a Braton (not Mk-1)
Build a Rhino
Build a Hek (EDIT: Hek is MR4 now, that may be a bit further out of reach than I expected. Still, a great weapon, so work on your MR!)
Acquire a Stance Mod of some kind and build a weapon that can use it
Get, and rank to at least 3, the following mods (not flawed versions):
-Serration
-Pressure Point
-Point Blank
-Hornet Strike
-Redirection
-Vitality
-Fast Deflection
Complete any quests that are available to you right now.

That will start you in the right direction. If you continue down the Star Chart without backtracking to grind for some of this stuff you will absolutely Hit The Wall, sometime between Jupiter and Neptune depending on your personal skill level and your luck finding pub groups to carry you through tough nodes.

Edited by RhythmScript

10 minutes ago, RhythmScript said:

Saying "complete the Star Chart" is not an immediate goal. It's like saying "beat the game", effectively.

My suggestions are:

Buy a Braton (not Mk-1)
Build a Rhino
Build a Hek (EDIT: Hek is MR4 now, that may be a bit further out of reach than I expected. Still, a great weapon, so work on your MR!)
Acquire a Stance Mod of some kind and build a weapon that can use it
Get, and rank to at least 3, the following mods (not flawed versions):
-Serration
-Pressure Point
-Point Blank
-Hornet Strike
-Redirection
-Vitality
-Fast Deflection
Complete any quests that are available to you right now.

That will start you in the right direction. If you continue down the Star Chart without backtracking to grind for some of this stuff you will absolutely Hit The Wall, sometime between Jupiter and Neptune depending on your personal skill level and your luck finding pub groups to carry you through tough nodes.

Interesting view... Wouldn't it be nice if that's all we had to do to beat the game. I agree you do not need to do 100% of the maps right away follow the quest line and find repeating past missions a thing but if you do all the missions you will not hit a wall at all unless sadly very unlucky and not search the maps. Also last comment is why I do not play pub's including many others and if do play a pub its to find a replacement in the group we limited ourselves to. Meaning its why its called luck finding because to many have expressed it as a way to get though without working on there mods or building no one likes a hinder or a extractor in 5 mins/5 waves for just a rubbish A cycle when B,C is what gets you them sweet cabbages (wife pointed out to me relics really looks like them so its stuck). Also 100% agree on the mod suggestions I really would have thrown Steel Fiber in there. If you start to struggle means just go back and rework your setups as really you will not survive the end game fun if you are carried.

10 hours ago, (PS4)reignsblade said:

if you do all the missions you will not hit a wall at all unless sadly very unlucky and not search the maps

If all you do is clear the star chart level by level you won’t ever even get a second Warframe to play with until.... I guess maybe Oberon eventually drops? It’s important for new players to get into the habit of repeating content they’ve already played rather than “advancing through levels” because Warframe is balanced is around rerunning content to unlock stuff. You WILL need to stay past the 5 minute mark on endless missions for a shot at important mods, you WILL have to repeat bosses to unlock frames and some weapons, you WILL have to grind old planets for resources/credits from time to time.

Take it from an MR11 that still hasn’t cleared the Star Chart yet (because I won’t run new content pub): if you just clear a node and move onto the next node, you are gonna get stuck. For me it was Tyl Regor at first (now it’s Mutalist Alad V), you will eventually hit a point where your ability to deal damage is simply not high enough to clear the content, no matter how well you play, and you HAVE to go back and grind for stuff that simply doesn’t unlock naturally.

I kind of agree with everyone here that clearing the star chart is most important, but I think as a semi-new player myself, clearing the star chart is not as easy as it sounds. Once you get to Saturn or so, the difficulty rises and even more so on Uranus. You can't just go about clearing the star chart anymore, you'll need to farm for better mods and get better gear to stand a chance. 

Don't think that going in with your Max Rank Braton is going to do you any good. 

I got a Hek as soon as I could, but even without the proper mods, I was wasting my entire magazine on 1 enemy on Saturn. 

This is what I would suggest, clear the star chart as far as you can with the weapons you got. Once you feel your weapons are insufficient, buy better gear (there's good tutorials on youtube), max rank it, look up on the wiki what are good mods, or ask here what are good builds for that weapon and then farm for those mods and do what you can to to get to the next phase of the star chart until it starts to get too hard again. 

It's sort of a take 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. Slowly but surely. I'm just taking my sweet ass time max ranking the weapons I have at my disposal (keeping my Hek and Soma) and getting rid of everything for credits. Farming prime parts through void fissures and trading for platinum cause I want more warframe slots for Nova and Frost. 

Edited by (PS4)iesous27

8 hours ago, RhythmScript said:

If all you do is clear the star chart level by level you won’t ever even get a second Warframe to play with until.... I guess maybe Oberon eventually drops? It’s important for new players to get into the habit of repeating content they’ve already played rather than “advancing through levels” because Warframe is balanced is around rerunning content to unlock stuff. You WILL need to stay past the 5 minute mark on endless missions for a shot at important mods, you WILL have to repeat bosses to unlock frames and some weapons, you WILL have to grind old planets for resources/credits from time to time.

Take it from an MR11 that still hasn’t cleared the Star Chart yet (because I won’t run new content pub): if you just clear a node and move onto the next node, you are gonna get stuck. For me it was Tyl Regor at first (now it’s Mutalist Alad V), you will eventually hit a point where your ability to deal damage is simply not high enough to clear the content, no matter how well you play, and you HAVE to go back and grind for stuff that simply doesn’t unlock naturally.

Oberon most defiantly its like spam that thing hahaha great easy credits though. Its why at the same time do the quests it will get the quest frames if its your play style farm it. Also as you go should be doing relics and that does gain the resources as does staying past the 5 min mark. I ain't saying don't go back its a go back as the content is getting more complicating to get the mods get the all needed endo (after star chart is done endo and credits is like farming Oberon parts a simple run will get over 100k credits for 10mins 300k in 30 and around 2000 endo 10mins and 6000 for 30) get the missing parts but keep moving forward 🙂 Also I'm only MR16 because I was over people assuming it meant something I was done at MR10 and was able to solo the fields at MR8 but kept getting the people who think MR was the all mighty goal so I farmed the MR only recently to just to be left alone. Oh I love Alad V 😉 (Little spoiler trick ignore if u like surprise: best way is get a second person with some weak weapons on and let them become the one he takes over hehe easy Mesa) Also there is no bad habits to create to unlock some junctions you have to go back and search, if there is a frame that matches what you like then you will go back no matter what its Tenno nature. I only frame farmed after I was done and now become one of them Inaro's people with a love that will make you sick.

Baro is coming 1d 15h 54m

A few additional points from a 8 months in player. Not quite goals but things I wished I’d known earlier.

One thing i found was alongside the hekk is getting the atomos (mr5 secondary) it really helps when doing pub activities as it means you can keep up a bit better. I know that’s a bit down the road but I wish I’d used it earlier.

derlecit missions are good for corrupted mods to sell and Neurodes. I got really stuck not having enough of them at early levels. 

Join a clan. It really helps. You can build some more Warframe (and weapons and other stuff) as which helps keep things interesting.  

Dont worry too much about your frames powers. I found I needed quite a few mods to make them really usable. At first survivability is key. 

Decide how much plat you want to buy. Some things are much easier to just pay for. Buying a couple of good auras early really helped me fit more mods without using reactors. 

Everyone says get rhino but I found the plastids really hard- either ask for taxis, buy them or accept you need to go quite a long way down the star chart to get enough of them. He is insanely helpful for survivabilty.

Enjoy!

I have found that there is no right answer to this question.

Part of the answer is the answer to the question "What variety of player are you?" Some of the members of my clan are the type that look for the shortest path to the end game as they are big Diablo fans. The drawback to this style is that you do not unlock whole planets and therefore are unable to use resource extractors and must grind all resources. Easy in the early game but one you get to the point of needing quantities of 100k or more of rare resources this takes quite a while.

As a brand new player I would advise getting to Venus as quickly as possible. Farm the Jackal to obtain the Rhino warframe. On each planet you need to farm the boss to obtain warframe components. On Saturn you need to farm the boss big time as you get Valkyr and weapons components.

Your other early goals should be obtain a Kubrow, an Archwing, and then a Sentinel. These will boost your defensive and offensive capabilities and enable you to undertake missions requiring exo-atmospheric flight.

I would say that until you reach MR5 joining a clan is optional as you will not have the resource stockpiles to contribute to research or to build many of the weapons, warframes, and Archwings. From MR5 onwards being in a clan and a syndicate is mandatory unless you have loads of real world money to spend on platinum to buy the weapons and warframes from the market.

Endless missions such as defence, extraction, and survival drop rewards from the 3 pools in the sequence of A A B C then repeat the drop sequence. This is where you obtain the void relics. Successful completion of void missions will open your selected relic. This is where you get your Prime parts.

The key planets for using resource extractors are Mars, Phobos, Saturn, and Eris. These are the only planets where you absolutely must clear every mission.

Other than this list every decision you make opens up opportunities for you to play your own style.

Following the quest line is not compulsory either although doing so eventually gives you access to the operator mode and the ability to take on the bigger, badder critters in the game.

In no particular order:

• Join a clan
  • Join a syndicate or three
  • Learn what gear items are.
  • Learn what companions are.
  • Learn about the damage system.
  • Learn about the movement system.
  • Practice each mission type and figure out what you need to do them solo (they can all be done solo if you know what you're doing and have appropriate gear). Not saying to do them all solo though :P.
  • Keep aware of all the useful npcs, the market, the codex, etc. and what they offer (there are useful things all over and the game is bad at teaching you about them :P).
  • Farm relics occasionally and do fissure missions mainly for forma blueprints.
  • Watch for potato alerts/invasions/events
  • Work your way through the star chart.
  • Do quests
  • Learn what all the different types of farming/recruiting groups are. Learn how different resources are farmed efficiently.
  • Find and bookmark some useful web sites (wiki, game state trackers, trading, frame/weapon builders).

Emphasis on these two points:

• Build equipment as and when you are able to (don't go out of your way to get weapons or frames that require resources on some planet you don't even have access to)
  • Learn what the important mods are and where to get them. Go out of your way to collect and upgrade mods (This really needs emphasis. You can handle up to level 30 to 40 enemies with even mk1 weapons if you have them properly modded - not that I recommend it :P - and the starter frames are all powerful and useful right through to endgame, properly modded)
Edited by schilds

In my experience, I was a bit lost in warframe during my first time, eventually, it made me quit the game.

I returned because of a friend started playing and I got really interested. 

So my tips are:

• Get friends to play with, soloing or making co-op it's really different than playing with IRL friends. 
  • Start clearing the map, node by node. (You don't have to rush it, I'm still missing few nodes)
  • Don't be shy to start doing your quests (Some of them are awesome) and you will need them after

Research how mod works and what you should be using - This is my best advice! Really! Once you do it, its a turning point in the game. Warframes, Weapons, Sentinels, pretty much everything use mods. And they make a huge impact on gameplay. I used to be cheap and not upgrade them, I took some time to understand that but once you do it, missions get easier, you don't die so much and you start to kill faster.

Understand the mastery rank system (Always check youtube + Practice before Qualifying for the rank up - I got in the 24h cooldown for not doing so, more times than I should be proud)

Once you login , always check alerts (Go for nitain extracts (you will need them) and any aura mods(some are rare and hard to find))

Some nice posts thanks!

Please take a look at my checklist for getting prime frames.
The link is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RR599WM3AiJvJvidD7wyDRlBoiwox91rNnOx-xftX0M/edit?usp=sharing

(This is my first post, so not sure if ok to post in old thread or you are supposed to start new. Please correct me as needed ^.^ )