Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

UPDATE: [Syndicate Concept] Matagi - Monster Slayers & [Empryean Open World] The Eris Graveyard

(XBOX)Nightseid

So with the (upcoming) release of the new infested planet I think I should revamp my concept.

Prior to the Heart of Deimos announcement, the infested had a benign presence. Lurking but not harmful outside of the few quest or events like the plague star event or the certain Warframe quests like Once Awake or Patient Zero. Unless you were around in 2014 to play the series of events and operations that centered around the infested and gave them recent relevance and threat, including their evolution to infect non-organic life.

Below is a quick story/event outline if you do not already know:

-         Once Awake (Quest): our first engagement with the infest faction, where Dr. Tengus accidentally releases a small strain but we destroy it before it gets out of hand.

-         Suspicious Shipments (2014 Alert Event), no longer playable- Alad V exposes the Corpus with the mutalist strain cause a mass outbreak.

-         2014 Operation: Breeding Grounds, no longer playable – we learn that Alad V has been experimenting on the infested allowing it to evolve to corrupt inorganic life.

-         2014 Operation: Mutalist Incursions, no longer playable - more experimentation and new infested creatures: Mutalist MOAs etc.

-         Patient Zero (quest): where we fight an Alad V infested with the Mutalist strain. Which he is later cured of from the aftermath of the Operation: Tubemen event.

-         Jordas Precept (Quest): we fight an infested ship mind-melded with a Cephalon Jordas floating in space near Eris. Which I believe is only possible because of the events that Alad V set in motion that enabled the infested to bond to non-organic life.

As you see our interaction with the infested has been limited. This concept is more of my attempt to continue that current story, I am glad we will delve into the infested past in the heart of Deimos update. I just also want to keep exploring the Mutalist strain and Eris.

Part 1: Monster Slayer

The infested are the perfect enemy to have a monster hunting type of gameplay or game loop, more so than the Eidolon hunting. Eidolon hunting is fine but waiting for the night cycle takes too long and the Ropalolyst feels more like a traditional boss fight.

A new syndicate called the Matagi would introduce players to the monster hunting game mode. This syndicate would be available once players complete the Once Awake quest line. Player can engage with the syndicate within the Tenno relays, much like Cephalon Simaris or Teshin. Another function of the Matagi would be to fill the story gaps of the Alad V Mutalist events for newer players, this can be either via a quest line or simply by lips service.

The Matagi – (is an actual name of Japanese traditional winter hunters of the Tohoku region)

Leader: Sudek

0oJ6qtx.jpg

Faction: Tenno

Objective: the primary objective of this syndicate is to eradicate the infested and keep them in check: particularly this new Mutalist strain.

Syndicate Rankings

1.     Tenderfoot

2.     Scout

3.     Ranger

4.     Slayer

5.     Jager

Example of Syndicate Rewards:

-         Traps and Baits: as this is a crew of hunters it makes sense to have baits and traps. Baits like potent Pherliac pods

-         Harpoon Gun: specialty Arch-wing weapon made to ensnare infested behemoths.

-         Composites: like Zaws and kit guns, these composites would create precision weapons, that include bows, crossbows and spearguns. The components would be divided into limbs, launchers, stocks, and grips.

-         Antiserum Vaporizers – deployable vaporizers from the infested salvage mission to survive on infested worlds.

An update to infested Invasion Missions

The Return of the Nightwave Season 2 – The Emissary Outbreak assassination node: Upon meeting the new syndicate, the player will unlock a new type of invasion assassination node however to access assassination node player will need to clear at least one invasion outbreak similar to the Zealot Prelate boss fight. This “assassination” mission would cycle thru various infested monsters or infested versions of current bosses. A possible reward scenario could be infested versions of boss weapons.

Hunting Bands: Once a player achieves the rank of Jager the Matagi will give them access to a new mission type: Hunting bands, a monster hunter style alert system within the syndicate mission list: where players go directly head to head with a giant terrestrial infested monster. Possible rewards could vary but I am thinking of infested arcanes, like corrupt mods but in arcane form.

The Matagi release 3 daily Hunting bands missions’ players can complete.

1.     Kaiju – monster fight designed to solo-able. 2 will be released daily.

2.     Daikaiju – monster fight designed to be completed by least 2 players. One is released daily.

Each creature will have its own set of strength, weakness, powers, and strategies which player can learn over time.

Part 2: Eris, an Empyrean Free-Flight or Empyrean “Open-World”

So, this is where I am going to differ from my original idea and set the Eris Open world as an Empryean “Open World” map. Currently Eris is a simply a series of abandoned Corpus and Grineer starships drifting within Eris’ orbit. I feel switching to rail-jack open world map makes more sense as according to the 2014 Operation events Alad V had deliberately infected Corpus and Grineer ships with newly engineered infested Hive that allowed the infested to meld with non-organic life which destroyed fleets of ships.

Why not, rework one of those nodes or all nodes, minus a few story specific nodes into an Empryean Open World where players fly, mine asteriods, salvage, take on bounties to destroy infested hives or rescue stranded Myconians that dare to venture there to farm. While exploring the open space of Eris, you can use the center console of your Rail-jack to contact Sudek to provide you with bounty missions.

*I feel Nidus could be easily rolled into the Matagi reputation reward list, if all the Eris nodes are simply collapsed into one massive Eris Empryean Open World. Personally, I felt like infested salvage should have been a defense mission with the need to deposit vaporizers. *

The Map: this node is a procedurally generated map, much like I normal free flight is, but the area is littered with starships infested with … well, infested. I envision mostly mutualists infested in tangled with Corpus and Grinner technology. These starships would act like the cave system of the Plains of Eidolon or Orb Vallis but of either a Grineer Galleon, an old Corpus Treasure vessel, a Derelict Tower (requiring a Derelict key – yes I think these keys can still be useful) or even an overrun relay.

Epic Hunting Bounties: Much like the Eidolon hunts in PoE, this open world map big boss would be Jordas Golem level infested creatures that player will need to take down using an archwing and/or railjack. This boss is also procedurally generated allow them to have different mutations or evolution that will affect the type of rewards it provides.

Need a visual example of spaceship vs giant monster fight:

-          The leviathan trailer ->

-          A clip from Godzilla: KotM ->

Open World Mining: asteroid mining or salvage scrap from ships while deployed in space in your arch-wing using you Omni to gather resources. Simply have recall be its own ability.

Part 3: Eris, Infested Corpus factory tile set

If we are to explore the surface of Eris, we must note according to the Alad V storyline that the Mutalist Strain would not have burrowed itself has deeply as what we see in the (upcoming) Heart of Deimos update and it will resemble something to its original state, like the Corpus Ice Planet, Corpus Outpost or parts of Orb Vallis or Fortuna except ruined with heavy influences of Mutalist corruption.

New mission node – Delve: the infested are trying to burrow deep into in Eris. Players must stop them before they become impossible to root out.

1.     Players will drop in a hive chamber with an antiserum purifier/vaporizer (basically a bug bomb or fogger).

2.     Players must destroy the tumors and set the purifier (takes about 30 seconds to arm and 2 minutes to denotate) and defend the device all the while being swarmed by infested. If the purifier is out of antiserum charges it will stop the clock.

3.     Once the hive is destroyed and the chamber purified another room opens, repeating the process. The further players go however the more corrupted the atmosphere gets, reducing Warframe armor forcing player to stay close to the vaporizer to protect them.

For now, I feel exploring Eris' surface via tile set is fine as we discover more with Arlo and Kenga, from the events of Nightwave Season 2 - The Emissary events.

UPDATES

Spoiler

+ 8/5/2020 concept revamp

+ 12/3/2018 added Eris open-world concept

+ 12/6/2018 added field field boss encounter

+ 4/26/2019 added new concepts

version 1:

Spoiler

Forward.

My first vision for Syndicate Concept, the Matagi, is meant to be a side-runner syndicate, like Cephalon Simaris, that focuses on the infested faction. This syndicate becomes available to players complete the main quest portion of Patient Zero (not the Alad V fight). 

My second vision for the Matagi is this group, who basically trains the Tenno to hunt and kill infested creatures is also the precursor to an Eris open-world node, revealing the node after players reach the rank of Slayer (rank 5). Telling the Tenno that they have received an invite to join the elite team of infested hunters on Eris.

First up the syndicate Concept that introduces the players to the new open map at Eris. 

New Syndicate: The Matagi

Lore:

After the events of Patient Zero, players receive an invitation to join the “Matagi”. The Matagi can found in the relays. Players meet the syndicate contact, Virgil. He proceeds to provide a brief exposition of who are the Matagi. Player discdiscoverst Matagi are a small band of Tenno dedicated in the eradication of the infested. He explains that is the Matagi that have halted the infested efforts to expand into other planets in the system – keeping the infested isolate in Eris, mostly.

New character:  

Name: Virgil

Faction - Tenno

Appearance – is an elderly Ostron with a robotic arm and a few visible scars.

Background: Virgil was once exposed to the infested but was saved by having his arm severed and burned. He has dedicated his life in helping the Matagi monitoring Infestation Outbreaks from the Tenno relays. Once Tenno have proven their dedication in hunting the infested, he sends word to Sudek in Eris.

Syndicate Ranking

1.    Tenderfoot

2.    Scout

3.    Ranger

4.    Jager

5.    Slayer

Hunting Bands (New Invasion) – These missions would have Tenno track, hunt and kill/capture infested monstrosities all before in-mission timer is expires. Hunting Bands would cycle thru the INFESTION outbreak invasion missions.

Maps – These alert encounters would mostly take place in regular infested version Boss map tiles whereas the bigger infested boss creatures would take place in open-area maps like the Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis or Archwing maps. This would be based on the monster(s) the alert has you hunting.

Mission Progress:

Tenno can only gain reputation for this syndicate by successfully completing hunts. As Tenno gain new ranks, they gain access to harder/high monster levels.

Monster ranks- each monster rank becomes available upon reaching a new rank.

NOTE: these are examples of boss type. These can be refitted with original infested creations.

·         Lvl1- Kaijin: This category is filled with humanoid size infested creatures like infested versions of certain bosses. i.e. like Gen. Ruk, Lt. Kril,  or Mutalist Hyenas, or Mutalist Raptors.

·         Lvl2-: Kaiju: this category features larger creatures such as Juggernauts, Mutalist Razorback, Phorid, etc.

Ø  Juggernaut Phorid – this juggernaut variant has the following abilities psychic bolts, rush, and can cast Chaos – like Nyx ability, this ability casts initially blinds you then sets an illusion spell on top of yourself, your allies and other infested enemies alike to appear as J.P. This also ability enables friendly fire.

·         Lvl3- Seijin: contains even larger creatures or creatures that’s intended to have more than on Tenno to take down i.e. J-Golem, Lephantis …

Ø  Lephantis Hydra – this Lephantis variant has the added effect of re-growing its heads if not taken down within a specified amount of time.

Ø  J-Golem Leviathan – a J-golem variant is a sea-dweller that has crashed into the deep waters of Uranus. This Golem has developed tentacle arms.

·         Lvl4- Daikaiju: these are creatures would be massive beast that would be designed specifically to be fought in at least pairs or more.

Ø  Mother Golem – unlike other hunts, this boss is a massive infested Corpus Ship, so the hunt is actually a sabotage mission. Tenno must fly (archwing) in and destroy several hives then destroy the Golem’s infested heart (Ship Core).

Ø  King Moose –original– this a giant infested monster. This monster requires at least one Tenno to fly on top of its back to pop hive cyst that reveal weak points on King Moose’s limbs – once all limbs are destroyed, the final blow (finisher) can be taken from above.

Example Rewards/Purchasable

- Potent Pherliac Pod Blueprints – works as normal except has an added function of increasing threat level when equipped. Affect finishes when pods are unequipped, or all pods are deployed (in mission). Pod last for 10 sec when deployed.

- TrapGun (1,2,3)– this is a harpoon ray gun (or Ghostbuster proton pack) that players will equip on their gear wheel. This TrapGun is design to work against the infested only. Player will need to shoot and hold the fire button to tether enemies stopping or slowing their advance. Trap Guns tether foes up to 15 meters away, walk backwards to pull them back.

- Composites – like Zaws and Kit guns, these are craftable precision weapon: Bows, crossbows and Spearguns.

-Limbs- bows, crossbow

-Laucher-bows, crossbows, speargun

-Stock- brossbows,spearguns

-Grip - Bows, spearguns

- Possible Arcanes

o    composite arcanes (various)

o    other

- Codex Scanner > Forecaster Widget – install this widget (or swap it) on your synthesis scanner, this widget will provide a buff that telegraphs when the scanned creature is about to attack/AOE. NOTE: it only telegraphs the last scanned creatures attacks, not all scanned creatures attacks.

Infested monster design concepts

Spoiler

Part 2 - Planet Eris & The Nagasa

Eris Open-world concept.

There are no longer any active military or research campaigns in the Eris region – it is overrun. Long evacuated Corpus and Grineer vessels drift aimlessly in orbit, slowly being devoured by the techno-organic parasite known as the “Infestation”. What remains is a twisted graveyard of partially-digested ships that are disfigured versions of their original forms... Abandoned, but not unoccupied.

— Eris Fragment

General Lore.

Eris is desolate planet, a graveyard. The infested has taken over everything, it would be genocide to try build anything there.

Another group of Matagi, the Nagasa survey the largest infestation mound on the surface planet. They encircle the area above the mound in their sloop ensuring the infestation do not expand. Periodically a small band of Matagi go down to cull any forward moving infested, looking for the source.

Few members of Myconia help supply the Matagi in their efforts as after the events of the Glast Gambit, some members believe the ritualistic sacrifice of the Tribuna needs to end and a new way of life is needed for all. Supply the group with weapons, etc.

Map Premise.

So the surface of the planet is riddled with crashed corpus ships and grineer ships, all surrounding a large infested cyst that engulfs what resembles a corpus lab.

This map is about 3/4 the size of the plains but the infested hives lay deep underground in a network of tunnels, players must descend deep into the infested mound.

Surface

Sub level -1

Sub level 2-

Sub level 3 -

Etc... think Dante’s Inferno

-- this may require an update to the mapping system as now this would have layers players need to navigate though. Several large shaft would exist, allowing players to archwing down deep into the massive mound – be careful the deeper you the more acidic the atmosphere is (the infested salvage effect) hopefully players have their mobile Vaporizer (1-time craft) with enough antiserum charges (re-craftable).

World Event Cycle

What I am looking to sink my teeth in is a world event. I have always felt that the Plains of eidolon and Orb Valis were missing a big group event to tie everything together. I'm talking a world event more akin to MMOs, where the map has a series of events that anyone can complete to progress everyone. The world event would run in addition to bounty missions. The premise is when players enter the map they have a world tracker of what battle phase the world is on – this would act as the world day/night or temperature cycle. Players can find the event objectives via the map screen. Each phase will have a couple of objectives. Any player can complete the objective to move the next battle phase. I would love to have the world event would be designed to have 8 player participation but possible with 4 top tier players, I envision this needing a dedicated server, but it most likely is designed for 4 player participation but solo-able for top tier players.

The surface and tunnels are accessible without doing any of the world event objectives, allowing players to harvest, mine, hunt or complete bounties within those sectors. The only restriction is the lower chambers, players must complete all battle phases to unlock the lower chambers to perform the boss bounties*.

Below is a 3-phase world event approach example:

Phase 1- Foothold

-          Clear the surface and control the tunnel entries (4/4)

o   If successful, a team of Nagasa will occupy the territory to hold. The team will periodically come under attack until the 2nd phase is unlocked.

o   Failure of the event or failure to protect the outpost will result in the infested invading and summoning an “invincible” infested worm enemy for a  few minutes locking the territory. Once the worm retreats into the tunnels player can reattempt to capture.

-           Hunt the four Goliaths. The surface is patrolled by massive infested creatures, these creatures must be dealt with or the invading force will not be capable to land. Goliaths will respawn continuously until the 2nd phase is unlocked.

Phase 2- The drop – players descend into the infested tunnels looking to complete phase 2 objectives to open the final tunnels. This phase consists of one objective. Player has 60 minutes to complete phase 2 if not the server will reset pushing them back to phase 1.

- The Hives – Players must find and destroy all infested hive chambers hidden throughout the second phase. The player should be wary some Hives are protected by higher level kaiju/goliaths.

Phase 3- Destroy the source – After phase 2 is completed, the Boss chamber is opened, allowing players to access the boss bounties. Players will have 40 minutes added to the “server” reset timer, meaning the player will have an additional 40 minutes to free roam or complete the boss encounters.

-        - Brood Queens

- Twisted Dr. Tengus (infested - boss)

Server reset event – when the time expires on either phase 2 or 3, the atmosphere in the infested tunnels becomes toxic poisoning players by the second, smoking the tunnel entryways. Players must return to the surface quickly. Players that do not, will die. Players can continue playing on the surface and wait until the infested tunnels return to a less corrosive state (perhaps 30 minutes).

The example is a simple idea, but the main point is the world event would be the main objective of the map, everything else is a side-quest. It would be designed to be a slow burn to allow player exploration while keeping players engaged so there is less chance of choice overload, an issue I have with orb valis and the Plains of Eidolon.

Resource gathering

Harvesting & Cultivating.

The infested pits have an entire ecosystem with new types of flora. Players will be able to scan and grow plants back in the orbiter to use for creating consumables needed to hunt these infested beasts. Players can experiment with plants, combining species together to possibly create more potent consumables.

To cultivating a plant you need 3 things: Seed, water, soil. Players will obtain seeds by scanning plants and obtain water and soil by deploying a harvester unit. These items can be bought via vendors but they are expensive. Each plant has specific water and soil needs and growth time (but no more than 12 hours). Once a plant is harvested it continues its next growth cycle. Some plants can be harvested indefinitely while others will wilt after they reach their harvest limit.

Harvester unit – are deployable consumables that players can utilize to gather water and soil. Player simply need to deploy them wait 10 seconds and pick up harvester to collect the resources.

Eris Open World Activites

Eris Open-world Activities

Hunting Bounties:

Sudek will offer players hunting bounties; Ranked 1 to 4. The hunting ranks will determine the monsters rank level (Kaijin, Kaiju, Seijin or Daikaiju). These hunting bounties work like a combination of conservation and Eidolon bounties. Sudek will simply provide players with the infested creature initial whereabouts then players will need to track and find the beasts on Eris. This part of the mission should be timed, as the trial will go cold afterward. Once the player finds the lair they must lure the beasts out to start the fight. The fight is not timed. Hunting bounties only reward players with Nagasa reputation, as the creature parts serve as its own reward.

Side Bounties:

While the players are out on Eris, Frohd Bek, Margoo, or Darvo will contact players via a communication console. Here he offers a few other bounties to players to retrieve or salvage items from Eris. You see the facility that the infested had made their home was a large corpus robotics factory. Missions include types - infested salvage, spy, interception, excavation, hi jack Etc. Side Bounties will reward players with the stage bounties we are accustomed to with the PoE and Fortuna.

Random EVAC encounter missions:

Players may have a random chance of encountering a group of survivors while exploring. These missions are broken into following:

Rescue mission – players may pass an active radio console within the factory, where a corpus worker is trapped. Players can accept the mission to go race and free him/her before their air runs out.

Escort/Defection mission (or a combination of sorts)-  while roaming Eris, players may encounter a group of survivors (5) that need the players help to reach an extraction zone. Players will speak to the main NPC and lead their group to an extraction zone. They must defend the extraction area for about 20 seconds, so NPC to be picked up.

These missions are not available when the player is playing an active bounty

Eris, field Boss – Baphomet, the Hunter becomes the Hunted

So as players hunt and kill infested creatures in Eris, they will increase their threat level, drawing the attention of infested sentries. Should the player's threat level raise high enough docile worker drone infested will start to attack the players on sight. Once the threat is at maximum level, players will trigger the infested field Boss – Baphomet. Please take a look  @[DE]Bear's original post for details and art on his concept.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/105211-baphomet-the-betrayer-infested-boss-full-3d-render-by-razix-112616/

*Used with permission from [DE] Bear

During your encounter Merihem, Bephomet’s charger mount (seriously take a look at the link) will cry out and summon more infested to its aid.  Lesser Infested killed in Baphomet’s presence adds to his rage (damage output & armor).

A 4 main-Trial mission (Spoiler)

Spoiler

Spoiler – so you find that Dr. Tengus, has been completely absorbed by the infestation after the events of Once Awake, no one has seen or heard from him. He is making supply the infested with an army of Corpus and Grineer clones that the infested absorb. http://fav.me/dctkbvv

mFl50vF.jpg

Hub- Name: ???

Acquisition – upon completing the Glast Gambit quest and obtaining the highest ranking with Matagi, Tenno receive an invitation from Sudek and coordinates of their location at Eris.

Location – this hub is a low orbit spacecraft, a Dojo of sorts – that monitors the infested from a “safe” distance.

Art- the craft is of Tenno design.

Main Hub character – the principle quest giver

Name: Sudek

Faction - Tenno

“what you thought you were the only one?”

Appearance – when you initially meet Sudek in her warframe form, she wears a Nyx warframe, in a custom Syndicate skin. It is not until you reach the exalted ranking where she then engages with you in her operator form. http://imgur.com/0oJ6qtx

0oJ6qtx.jpg

Thoughts/Comments?

Previously related concepts

Spoiler

+

On 2018-11-28 at 4:11 PM, (XB1)WaterJewel94694 said:

i'm actually about to post a sort of proper open-world concept for Eris with the infested being the faction that inhabits it and this would work rather closely as the sort of quill group for the town of Haven (town connected to open-world on Eris).  it should be ready for me to post it in the next few hours.

Thanks for the compliment.

Throw a link of thread and I'll look at it.

I'm surprised there isn't more done against the infested, I have always felt hunting the infest would be a top priority  for some group considering how devastating they could be. I always thought that this enemy faction would fit perfectly with a monster hunting style of level progression with little need for story.

Actually i would go as far as saying this concept syndicate should be accessible to newer players after completing the quest patient zero. 

Just now, (XB1)WaterJewel94694 said:

yeah but i don't see any planets close enough that could feature the infested.

My bad. I meant the Matagi should be accessible to new players (my concept, it should read syndicate, not faction)

I could see the Matagi sending tenno on 3 part quest line to eris to establish a base of operations by clearing and defending an area

i just had a thought regarding the connection of the matagi and my open-world concept.  i was thinking that Sudek has been hunting down Tiamat, my open-world concept antagonist, for a couple centuries only to walk into a trap each time she gets close to killing Tiamat.  that would give the matagi more than enough reason to head to Eris while also giving an interesting form of conflict.  also the field bosses that i intend on basing somewhat after the monsters that remained loyal to Tiamat could be of at least Seijin level.

7 minutes ago, (XB1)WaterJewel94694 said:

i just had a thought regarding the connection of the matagi and my open-world concept.  i was thinking that Sudek has been hunting down Tiamat, my open-world concept antagonist, for a couple centuries only to walk into a trap each time she gets close to killing Tiamat.  that would give the matagi more than enough reason to head to Eris while also giving an interesting form of conflict.  also the field bosses that i intend on basing somewhat after the monsters that remained loyal to Tiamat could be of at least Seijin level.

thanks, that sounds great, a big bad to track down and hunt. i was also checking out this concept too: 

It could be the Tiamat is the queen monster and Baphomet is the infested stalker of sorts hunting Tenno on Eris (like Venus wanted levels)

Also been meaning to comment on your thread. it is good so far, although i have a few suggestion but it may take your vison a completely different direction.

14 minutes ago, (XB1)Nightseid said:

lol. you caught it. lol

And your picture link broke. Quick fix guide based on what i've seen people do:

Imgur machine broke*.

In order to fix pictures do one of the following:

1. Change the imgur link from httpS to http;

2. Change the hosting service. Anything from google images, DeviantArt or even links to discord images will work.

*well, more like DE messed something up during the Switch launch

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎27 at 8:01 PM, (XB1)Nightseid said:

Eris, field Boss – Baphomet, the Hunter becomes the Hunted

So as players hunt and kill infested creatures in Eris, they will increase their threat level, drawing the attention of infested sentries. Should the player's threat level raise high enough docile worker drone infested will start to attack the players on sight. Once the threat is at maximum level, players will trigger the infested field Boss – Baphomet. Please take a look  @[DE]Bear's original post for details and art on his concept.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/105211-baphomet-the-betrayer-infested-boss-full-3d-render-by-razix-112616/

*Used with permission from [DE] Bear

During your encounter Merihem, Bephomet’s charger mount (seriously take a look at the link) will cry out and summon more infested to its aid.  Lesser Infested killed in Baphomet’s presence adds to his rage (damage output & armor).

Added field boss.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

World event

What I am looking to sink my teeth in is a world event. I have always felt that the Plains of eidolon and Orb Valis were missing a big group event to tie everything together. I'm talking a world event more akin to MMOs, where the map has a series of events that anyone can complete to progress everyone. The world event would run in addition bounties missions. The premise is when players enter the map they have a world tracker of what battle phase the world is on – this would act as the world day/night or temperature cycle. Players can find the event objectives via the map screen. Each phase will have a couple of objectives. Any player can complete the objective to move the next battle phase. I would love to have the world event would be designed to have 8 player participation but possible with 4 top tier players, I envision this needing a dedicated server, but it mostly likely be designed for 4 player participation but solo-able for top tier players.

The surface and tunnels are accessible without doing any of the world event objective, allowing players to harvest, mine, hunt or complete bounties within those sectors. The only restriction is the lower chambers, players must complete all battle phases to unlock the lower chambers to perform the boss bounties*.

Below is a 3 phase world event approach example:

Phase 1- Foothold

Ø  Clear the surface and control the tunnel entries (4/4)

o   If successful, a team of Nagasa will occupy the territory to hold. The team will periodically come under attack until the 2nd phase is unlocked.

o   Failure of the event or failure to protect the outpost will result in the infested invading and summoning a “invincible” infested worm enemy for a  few minutes locking the territory. Once the worm retreats into the tunnels player can reattempt to capture.

Ø  Hunt the four Goliaths. The surface is patrolled by massive infested creatures, these creatures must be dealt with or the invading force will not be capable to land. Goliaths will respawn continuously until the 2nd phase is unlocked.

Phase 2- The drop – players descend into the infested tunnels looking to complete phase 2 objectives to open the final tunnels. This phase consists of one objective. Player have 60 minutes to complete phase 2, if not the server will reset pushing them back to phase 1.

Ø  The Hives – Players must find and destroy all infested hive chambers hidden throughout the second phase. Player should be wary some Hives are protect by higher level kaiju/goliaths.

Phase 3- Destroy the source – After phase 2 is completed, the Boss chamber is opened, allowing players to access the boss bounties. Players will have 40 minutes added to the “server” reset timer, meaning player will have an additional 40 minutes to free roam or complete the boss encounters.

Ø  Brood Queens

Ø  Twisted Dr. Tengus (infested - boss)

Server reset event – when the time expires on either phase 2 or 3, the atmosphere in the infested tunnels becomes toxic poisoning players by the second, smoking the tunnel entry ways. Players must return to the surface quickly. Players that do not, will die. Players can continue playing on the surface level and wait until the infested tunnels return to a less corrosive state (perhaps 30 minutes).

The example is a simple idea but the main point is the world event would be the main objective of the map, everything else is a side-quest. It would be designed to be a slow burn to allow player exploration while keeping players engaged so there is less chance of choice overload, an issue I have with orb valis and the plains of eidolon.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Eris Open-world Activities

Hunting Bounties:

Sudek will offer players hunting bounties; Ranked 1 to 4. The hunting ranks will determine the monsters rank level (Kaijin, Kaiju, Seijin or Daikaiju). These hunting bounties work like a combination of conservation and Eidolon bounties. Sudek will simply provide players with the infested creature initial whereabouts then players will need to track and find the beasts on Eris. This part of the mission should be timed, as the trial will go cold afterward. Once the player finds the lair they must lure the beasts out to start the fight. The fight is not timed. Hunting bounties only reward players with Nagasa reputation, as the creature parts serve as its own reward.

Side Bounties:

While the players are out on Eris, Frohd Bek, Margoo, or Darvo will contact players via a communication console. Here he offers a few other bounties to players to retrieve or salvage items from Eris. You see the facility that the infested had made their home was a large corpus robotics factory. Missions include types - infested salvage, spy, interception, excavation, hi jack Etc. Side Bounties will reward players with the stage bounties we are accustomed to with the PoE and Fortuna.

Random EVAC encounter missions:

Players may have a random chance of encountering a group of survivors while exploring. These missions are broken into following:

Rescue mission – players may pass an active radio console within the factory, where a corpus worker is trapped. Players can accept the mission to go race and free him/her before their air runs out.

Escort/Defection mission (or a combination of sorts)-  while roaming Eris, players may encounter a group of survivors (5) that need the players help to reach an extraction zone. Players will speak to the main NPC and lead their group to an extraction zone. They must defend the extraction area for about 20 seconds, so NPC to be picked up.

These missions are not available when the player is playing an active bounty.

Harvesting & Cultivating.

The infested pits have an entire ecosystem with new types of flora. Players will be able to scan and grow plants back in the orbiter to use for creating consumables needed to hunt these infested beasts. Players can experiment with plants, combining species together to possibly create more potent consumables.

To cultivating a plant you need 3 things: Seed, water, soil. Players will obtain seeds by scanning plants and obtain water and soil by deploying a harvester unit. These items can be bought via vendors but they are expensive. Each plant has specific water and soil needs and growth time (but no more than 12 hours). Once a plant is harvested it continues its next growth cycle. Some plants can be harvested indefinitely while others will wilt after they reach their harvest limit.

Harvester unit – are deployable consumables that players can utilize to gather water and soil. Player simply need to deploy them wait 10 seconds and pick up harvester to collect the resources.

I made a couple of suggestions before. Such as bringing the Juggernaut Behemoth back into the spot light. Similar to sentients in the plains, these Behemoths could roam the area. In a way they could be similar to the new Thumpers that pop out in the PoE. But at least people could fight the Juggernaut Behemoth without having to face the Jordas Golem over and over. Maybe they even drop new resources.

I made a concept of a “Possibly New Infested Frame”, and it got me thinking of how to obtain it in an infested open world map. I was picturing something similar to an infested Hydra where it is like the Queen of the Infested. Like every Bee hive, Ant hill, or even Spider nest, there’s a big Momma.

So this Infested Boss would have like a spider-like lower body while the upper part would have three long heads. The only way to inflict actual damage to it is to blow off all 3 heads which makes the lower body vulnerable to damage, but eventually all 3 heads grow back and you have to repeat until it has no more health. 

It wont be easy since it won’t be defenseless either. Every time it loses a head, it drops juggernaut type infested hives that releases a juggernaut. Maybe more depending on how hard DE wants this fight to be. Maybe up to 4 for a full squad. It could scream similar to a phorid that will also cause infested to swarm on you. Then there’s abilities such as toxic gas, acid goo, or even being able to hit you with corrosive or viral damage. 

But after you beat the quest and fight this boss, you can collect pieces for the new type of infested warframe. Basically an infested princess. If you look up the “Possibly New Infested Warframe” you would see what I pictured for it. In some ways I pictured that this infested warframe, unlike Nidus, she couldn’t stop mutating until she turned into the giant boss. But once defeated and rebuilt, she no longer continues to mutate. But her build is based on the ability to infect others like a plague. 

I could even see the boss being able to link to a warframe and cause them to do her bidding similar to M. Alad V. 

The bounties would definitely be different from others. Mainly as a method to exterminate the infested, such as destroying underground nests, fighting an infested leader like a phorid, etc.

I also recently made a concept called Hazard The Gas Based Frame. And now that I’m thinking about his build, he would be the ultimate infested exterminator. So similar to Garuda and Baruuk, I could see him being obtainable through bounty rewards and can be used to fight the infested. 

God, I WANT AN INFESTED OPEN WORLD MAP RIGHT NOOOOOWWW!!! Just thinking about it is too much and making me so impatient that it is driving me insane. 😤😤😤

i could see a group of people who are immune to the infestation which established the sort of new syndicate. Maybe one of the members is only a quarter infested, similar to Alad V, except he/she has not lost their mind or gone insane. And I could see the people reacting to Nidus in a very different way than all other warframes. Be something like “an infested that is our ally? I never thought it was possible.” 

Not to mention all those pherlic pods or whatever that drops from dead juggernauts would have more uses. Be more useful than ever before. And the Toxins that we used during the plague star event could be given to the people that would allow us to destroy underground hives or nests. 

And similar to the juggernaut, I could see more infested type enemies. Such as a slimmer looking infested that has spikes and runs very fast, basically need volt speed to avoid it. But won’t be as tough as a juggernaut. Then I could see more flying type infested similar to wasps and bees. Basically picture the juggernaut much, much smaller but with 6 legs instead of 4 and has big flapping wings that shoot toxic or even viral darts that also inflicts puncture damage. Super easy to kill but there would be huge swarms of them. Remember these are pure infested, not some mutalist. The ospreys are like the mutalist quanta while the flying ones I just mentioned would be more like the paracyst. 

Either way, DE needs to hurry up with an Infested Open World. They could call it Purgatory for all I care. Just make it happen. 

Archived