Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why don't we have any big single-shot crossbows?

AdunSaveMe

We have a bunch of bows, we have hand crossbows, we have semi-automatic crossbows, we have fully automatic crossbows, we have semi automatic burst-fire crossbows, we have shotgun spread bows. But we don't have a classic crossbow. A ballista. Just fires one bloody big bolt. Why don't we have one of those?

The tenno absolutely seem like the kind of folks to make something like that; a mid-range single heavy shot, with no charge time. Just a really big log of space wood that tears through everything in a line and pins them to walls. With explosive arrows. NOT a semi-auto with a magazine. DE pls

Edited by AdunSaveMe

7 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

We have a bunch of bows, we have hand crossbows, we have semi-automatic crossbows, we have fully automatic crossbows, we have semi automatic burst-fire crossbows, we have shotgun spread bows. But we don't have a classic crossbow. A ballista. Just fires one bloody big bolt. Why don't we have one of those?

The tenno absolutely seem like the kind of folks to make something like that; a mid-range single heavy shot, with no charge time. Just a really big log of space wood that tears through everything in a line and pins them to walls. With explosive arrows. DE pls

Spoiler

Lenz

hmm, the explosive tip might be less unique now that we have Lenz, but i'm certainly not against a heavy Crossbow to contrast the numerous light Crossbows we have.

6 minutes ago, GerberaOverture said:

cause bows and snipers and such weapon types are useless in WF 

so is focusing your battle strategy on Killing Lv1 Trash Units rather than the things that have relevant EHP that you'd want Damage for in the first place.
plenty of ways to autodelete Trash Units, but then you have to Kill the Enemies that have Health too, and AFKFarming Weapons don'd do so great on those Enemies. :)

Il y a 1 heure, AdunSaveMe a dit :

But we don't have a classic crossbow. A ballista. Just fires one bloody big bolt. Why don't we have one of those?

The tenno absolutely seem like the kind of folks to make something like that; a mid-range single heavy shot, with no charge time. Just a really big log of space wood that tears through everything in a line and pins them to walls. With explosive arrows. DE pls

That could be fun but it could also very easily overlap with snipers and bows. I like the idea of explosive bolts, maybe that could be used to make it more unique. Fires a bolt that deals moderate to high damage, impales enemies (so has infinite enemy punchthrough but no object punchthrough) and after a small delay explodes dealing some hefty damage to impaled enemies. 

That would be really fun. 

il y a 53 minutes, GerberaOverture a dit :

cause bows and snipers and such weapon types are useless in WF 

Thanks fot your contribution to the discussion. Also lol

il y a 48 minutes, (PS4)Onder6099 a dit :

Any Crossbow with -Magazine capacity on Riven?

That would just be a terrible weapon, current crossbows are designed around largeish mags. They have neither the damage nor the oomph to work as single shot. 

27 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

That could be fun but it could also very easily overlap with snipers and bows.

There are very many weapons in this game that overlap with many others. We have multiple bows that do almost exactly the same thing. We have multiple crossbows, with slightly different firing types. We've got a billion types of automatic rifle, semi automatic rifle, explosive launcher, laser, pistol, projectile thrower and thrown projectile.

Weapon overlap only becomes a problem when you try to avoid it and it starts stifling variety, right? I think this'd be different enough anyway. It's sort of like the difference between the tigris and the corinth: they're both shotguns, but they're still both unique.

27 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

That would be really fun. 

Absolutely. It would be genuinely unique. Not 100% original, but unique. That's why I think we could really do with one, as long as it's big and punchy, which DE has shown they can definitely do. Just a massive thunk and a bit of a twang, and a two foot long bolt goes crunching through enemies.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

19 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Garudas crossbow.

The nagantaka is a full auto crossbow just like the attica and zhuge, which is the exact opposite of what's being asked for here.

Last time one of these threads showed up I suggested that the bow should have a triple shot alt fire for dealing with groups like the crossbow from black ops 2,  because the only thing better than shooting a grineer, is also shooting two adjacent grineer at the same time

31 minutes ago, Greenshockclaw said:

The nagantaka is a full auto crossbow just like the attica and zhuge, which is the exact opposite of what's being asked for here.

Last time one of these threads showed up I suggested that the bow should have a triple shot alt fire for dealing with groups like the crossbow from black ops 2,  because the only thing better than shooting a grineer, is also shooting two adjacent grineer at the same time

Really? Because look at its in game stats it has two fire modes. 1 SEMI auto and the other burst fire. I don’t see a full auto here, so it’s only fair to assume that you’re wrong.

16 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Really? Because look at its in game stats it has two fire modes. 1 SEMI auto and the other burst fire. I don’t see a full auto here, so it’s only fair to assume that you’re wrong.

Semi auto still isn't single shot though. Wiki lists the fire rate as being 2.5/s, which is still really far from a single shot bow

15 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Do you have any idea how boring an authentic crossbow would be? Single shot, long reload. Literally screams MR fodder.

You could say the same thing for literally any weapon concept. An archetype alone is not automatically boring MR fodder. 

You are basing this assumption on nothing.

15 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

The tenno absolutely seem like the kind of folks to make something like that; a mid-range single heavy shot, with no charge time. Just a really big log of space wood that tears through everything in a line and pins them to walls. With explosive arrows. NOT a semi-auto with a magazine. DE pls

I like it.  Naming would be simple, something Greek or Latin, I like Praedator for it.  Very high damage, high crit and crit damage, decent status, likely almost all puncture with some impact, very high natural punch through.   Its corresponding negatives would be very slow reload speed (including some kind of mechanic for cocking it), low ammo to account for those big bolts, arcing shots, slower travel time and falls off at range some.  I'd give it a scoping effect as well like snipers.   A potentially cool and unique weapon.  

Those that don't like it can just MRF it or ignore it altogether.

1 minute ago, _Vortus_ said:

I like it.  Naming would be simple, something Greek or Latin, I like Praedator for it.  Very high damage, high crit and crit damage, decent status, likely almost all puncture with some impact, very high natural punch through.   Its corresponding negatives would be very slow reload speed (including some kind of mechanic for cocking it), low ammo to account for those big bolts, arcing shots, slower travel time and falls off at range some.  I'd give it a scoping effect as well like snipers.   A potentially cool and unique weapon.  

Those that don't like it can just MRF it or ignore it altogether.

That's basically the idea, yeah. I'd love to make a concept of it but I can't draw.

So an analogue to a classical infantry crossbow? That would be an interesting take.

Crossbows are something of a novelty from a historical perspective. They gave consistent accuracy and damage compared to a bow, but at the cost of being a beast to reload. Typically they needed a dedicated lever mechanism to give the torque needed to pull the string back, making it much slower than a trained archer and his bow. So how would this translate into a Tenno weapon?

My take: A hybrid between a crossbow and a railgun. Using an electrical field, the bolt's speed could be amplified to bullet-like velocities without giving insane recoil. The crossbow's string could be used as the main "ignition". This would create a weapon that has bow-like damage and range, hitscan properties, and a single-shot mechanism that gives an overall feel to a crossbow.

I like how so many people are dismissing this topic out of hand. Either bc there are similar weapons already or bc the concept of a high dmg low RoF gun is out of place in WF. 

Look at snipers, bows, the Tigris or opticor, or any low magazine/low RoF gun. Many of our best guns fall in this category, though less extreme. Functionally such a weapon would be deemed to have a lot of potential, not less, based on that. 

I'd love such a crossbow. The Black ops version was exactly what I thought of when I read the title. I doesn't even need to explode, but do heavy damage and make a sick sound on firing. I could see this as being the crossbow version of the vectis.