Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why don't we have any big single-shot crossbows?

AdunSaveMe

@AdunSaveMe

What I picture in my head is a cross between a heavy medieval arbelest and a modern scoped high power crossbow like the Scorpyd Ventilator Extreme, or the Ravin R20.   Sharing the sort of Orokin/Mechanical/Biological look of the Eidalons.  The size of the heavy weapon, with the reverse arms, scope and style similar to the modern crossbow.   I asked a bud good with this stuff to draw one up if he gets time, but dunno if/when that will happen.

Of course the below is just my mind wandering.  A simple normal heavy spear gun would be fine too.  🙂

Praedalyst

The Ostron Hunters on the plains were becoming severely over-matched due to increasing incursions from the Grineer and the Infested.  Due to the growing number of strong threats towards the Ostrons on Cetus, the Quills developed a new heavy crossbow/speargun from the remains of captured Eidalon Teralysts, Gantulysts and Hydrolysts.   The bones, tendons and energy allowed them to develop this new incredibly powerful weapon that fires short spears made from Eidalon bones and minerals from the plains. 

For the Ostrons, it takes a team of two hunters to effectively use due to its overwhelming power and weight.  Each hunter carries a part of the weapon, and if forced to engage in a fight, the Praedalyst team give support to the rest of the hunter unit by dealing with stronger enemies.  While in turn the rest of the unit defends the Praedalyst team from weaker enemy units.  While the weapons power is immense, its fire rate is also very slow, so targets have to be carefully selected, as well as hit in vulnerable spots.  They have begun to sell the weapon to the Tenno, who have the power to use carry and use the weapon by themselves.

• Mastery - 16
  • Slot - Primary
  • Type - Crossbow
  • Trigger Type - Single Shot
  •  
  • Flight Speed - 100 m/s
  • Ammo Type - Bow
  • Noise Level - Silent
  • Fire Rate - 0.0 rounds per sec
  • Accuracy - 30 ( 90 when aimed )
  • Magazine Size - 1
  • Max Ammo - 6
  • Reload - 5 seconds
  • Zoom - 2x (+20% Critical multiplier) / 4x (+40% Critical multiplier)
  • Disposition - Neutral
  •  
  • Total Damage 1400.0  800 Puncture/600 Impact
  • Crit Chance - 30%
  • Crit Multiplier - 2.5x
  • Status Chance - 0% *Special - After Gilding, alternate bolt types can be used
  • Punch Through - 4.0 m
  • Fire Rate - 0.0 rounds per sec
  • Damage Falloff - Full damage up to 275.0 m/Min damage at 400.0 m
  •  
  • Polarities - None
  • Update - someday maybe?

The Praedator is functionally a hybrid between a Crossbow and a Sniper Rifle.  It has a single Zoom mode, but like a Sniper its effectiveness is improved when using that Zoom mode.   It is powerful, but also has some heavy drawbacks.  Due to the nature of the weapon and its ammo, ammo collection, as well as ammo mods and reload mods only have 50% effectiveness.  It has one of the slowest reloads of all weapons available to Tenno as well.   In addition, once Gilded, its alternate shots will also affect the Tenno if they are within the AOE.

*Like other weapons from Cetus, it will need Gilded to show its full effect.   MR will only be given after it is Gilded.  Before being Gilded, only the normal base fire can be used.  Once Gilded, it has 4 fire modes, functionally similar to Ivara's bow, based on which type of Eidalon was used for the spear/bolt.  These effects will affect the user as well, so Tenno be careful.

• Pure Puncture and Impact Damage - Cost 1 ammo per shot.  Will knock hit enemies flying and pin them to walls.
  • Terrabolt - Adds a 10m shockwave around the hit target knocking enemies within that zone down.  Does no damage - Costs 2 ammo and adds .5 seconds of reload time
  • Gantubolt - Adds a 15m area with random Energy Pillars doing heavy damage to enemies that come in contact with them.  Costs 3 ammo and adds .5 seconds of reload time.  Damage is the same as the Gantulysts Energy Pillar, and scales with enemies.
  • Hydrobolt - Adds a 15m area of Acid Rain, staining the ground green and doing heavy damage to enemies with in the AOE.  Costs 5 ammo and adds .5 seconds of reload time.  Damage is the same as the Hydrolysts Acid Rain, and scales with enemies.

If/When the new big Eidalon ever happens, the parts could drop from that.   Or alternatively, to acquire this weapon, one must be ranked as Kin, and the blueprint costs 125,000 standing from the Quills.  The crafting cost is as follows...

• 30 Eidalon Shards
  • 10 Brilliant Eidalon Shards
  • 5 Radiant Eidalon Shard
  • 10 Wisps
  • 10 Nyth
  • 10 Sentirum

Thoughts?

21 hours ago, _Vortus_ said:
  • 30 Eidalon Shards
  • 10 Brilliant Eidalon Shards
  • 5 Radiant Eidalon Shard
  • 10 Wisps
  • 10 Nyth
  • 10 Sentirum

Thoughts?

Your suggested crafting cost made me vomit a little in my mouth 

Effects are cool, but I don't see any reason anyone would use anything other than the regular bolt and hydrobolt, since hydro is just a more reliable gantubolt, and terra is extremely situational

Edited by Greenshockclaw

2 hours ago, Greenshockclaw said:

Your suggested crafting cost made me vomit a little in my mouth 

Effects are cool, but I don't see any reason anyone would use anything other than the regular bolt and hydrobolt, since hydro is just a more reliable gantubolt, and terra is extremely situational

Heheh I actually think its to low for the crafting cost.   But reduced it to account for players that are newer.   Enough to earn it, but not enough to hurt.   Tried to make it kinda fit into some lore and use equivalent resources.

Just came with those bolts on the fly.   I wanted a normal fire, then a shot kinda based on each Eidalon.  The Terra is mostly CC in case you get in trouble due to the reload and you start to get swarmed, so it can fire a few times.  It to me is the most useful.  The Gantu was harder to figure.  I wanted something between the Terra and Hydra, so a some damage, some CC, and it cost more to shoot.   Then the Hydra, which really isn't much stronger if at all than some current AOE weapons.  Because whiles its strong, its expensive to shoot.   With the inherent ammo issues of the weapon that limits the shots.  

Something I didn't account for though was the time each effect lasts.   It will have to be relatively short but still long enough to matter.  Will have to think about that.

Terra - Normal knockdown

Gantu - 1 lighting bolt every 2 seconds, last 6 seconds

Hydra - Acid Rain lasts 6 seconds

Dunno exactly how much damage they do, but its alot.  So thats likely enough.  Hopefully not to much, only DE knows.  Any or all of it could be changed.  I'd be happy with a big ballista/speargun that was just single fire.