The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's communal hate against Destiny (and Anthem) should = calm down

RealHeftyTrout

On 2018-11-28 at 10:55 PM, RealHeftyTrout said:

As I've indulged into the community more and more I've noticed that the players have a huge hatred towards Destiny and even Anthem which is a game that hasn't even released.  I can easily understand just simply not liking the game and preferring Warframe, but what the Warframe community does just adds more toxicity and makes us all seem like hateful fanboys who bash any game slightly similar.  A lot of the hate seems incredibly shoehorned, regardless of what the original thread is, someone will find a way to randomly incorporate Destiny into the discussion just to hate it.  It's essentially everywhere, YouTube, forums, official WF media, in-game chat, and some even go as far as to go onto Destiny's media to hate and that makes our community seem childish and toxic.  I think we need to cool it with the desire to feel superior, I have almost never run into a Destiny player who openly despises Warframe with a passion.  The oddest thing is, aside from being Sci-Fi looter shooters, all 3 of these games are structured completely differently.

Lol, my wife is an avid destiny 1 & 2 player, i played some destiny 1 and most of destiny 2 with her...

I actually have fun in destiny cause i dont take it too seriously and crucible is pretty fun as long as im not looking at the horrible cosmetics they add every season for iron banner. 

My wife hates destiny 1 and 2 cause they went all meh.

I don't think it's a community issue. It's an issue with a handful of vocal people using blanket terms like "we" and "everyone" creating the impression of it. With the people I've actually talked to, most of them have had the same opinion as me: "Meh." They are completely indifferent to the entire topic unless it's brought up and they are pressed for some kind of detailed answer.

I didn't play any of the Destinies because I don't own a console and I can't be arsed to pay for what is essentially a "Supah seriouz" Borderlands. You can't argue that the parallels aren't there. And with Anthem... I'm hoping for something great, I am. The power armor fantasy is near and dear to my heart. But from what I've seen... It's Division with a mech-alien coat of paint. And that is the thing that'd likely drive me away. 

I liked Division. It's a decent game but those games have damn near no replayability to me. I know it sounds rich, coming from a Warframe vet. But after I do the story campaign and see all the places, get the meta gear... there's jack all to do. Now of course there's PvP, but lets be fair, PvP in Division is a dumpster fire on a garbage heap in a bigger dumpster fire. And depending on how much money it'll cost and what it'll offer for that cost, I might buy Anthem. It has some interesting parts that I like, the aesthetic looks great. But again, will I be "wowed" enough to drop money on it? We'll see. Not a day-one purchase, that's for sure. Been bitten too much for that. 

Edited by Lakais

I've personally seen the issue brought up infrequently here unless it's by someone why played Destiny and is now trying (or re-trying) Warframe or brought up by players with similar backgrounds on youtube as well. 

..That's not to say Warframe players are entirely innocent of the act because that can't possibly be true.

All people compare things and have opinions....Some mold those opinions into a narrative that puts forward rationalized prejudices.

Now that D2 appears to be back on the good foot, we'll probably see a bit of disgruntled commentary here and some measure of attrition.

Once Anthem launches, we'll likely see something similar.

To me, it's just a good time to be a fan of sci-fi online games and is worlds away from the days where Anarchy Online and SWG was basically all you had to choose from in that genre.

It would be awesome if folks didn't feel this great need to cast aspersions on what other folks are into for validation though... Or, likewise, to try and change a game they aren't quite into to resemble another game they enjoyed.

Everything isn't for everybody.

On 2018-11-28 at 11:55 PM, RealHeftyTrout said:

As I've indulged into the community more and more I've noticed that the players have a huge hatred towards Destiny and even Anthem which is a game that hasn't even released.  I can easily understand just simply not liking the game and preferring Warframe, but what the Warframe community does just adds more toxicity and makes us all seem like hateful fanboys who bash any game slightly similar.  A lot of the hate seems incredibly shoehorned, regardless of what the original thread is, someone will find a way to randomly incorporate Destiny into the discussion just to hate it.  It's essentially everywhere, YouTube, forums, official WF media, in-game chat, and some even go as far as to go onto Destiny's media to hate and that makes our community seem childish and toxic.  I think we need to cool it with the desire to feel superior, I have almost never run into a Destiny player who openly despises Warframe with a passion.  The oddest thing is, aside from being Sci-Fi looter shooters, all 3 of these games are structured completely differently.

I don't even know what you're talking about. Is this some kind of really poor quality bait or something? I mean with a name like that, it's got to be a fishing reference. And fish like bait. 

Yeah OK. That makes sense now. It's just bait. 

Carry on.