Is Hydroid Worth Getting?

(XBOX)BimLau

Question

So Im a new player, just reached MR 5. Soloed Vay Hek first try and saw he dropped the Hydroid frame. I already have maxed Excaliber & Rhino, which have carried me this far, and stupid me wasted all my plat early on so Id have to sacrafice one to get Hydroid. I tried looking it up a bit, but I couldnt really get an idea of exactly how good the frame is, so if someone could give me just a general idea itd help out a ton in my decision.

22 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, (XB1)BimLau said:

So Im a new player, just reached MR 5. Soloed Vay Hek first try and saw he dropped the Hydroid frame. I already have maxed Excaliber & Rhino, which have carried me this far, and stupid me wasted all my plat early on so Id have to sacrafice one to get Hydroid. I tried looking it up a bit, but I couldnt really get an idea of exactly how good the frame is, so if someone could give me just a general idea itd help out a ton in my decision.

If you are set on removing a warframe from your inventory instead of earning some plat, i'd remove Excal. You can get Umbra Excal + warframe slot later on.

Hydroid is good, usually the second fiddle for farming with Nekros due to his augment. 

A solid frame by itself

can strip armor, CC, heal in limited capacity depending on which augment you put on. 

Good to have. 

But worth replacing excal or rhino?

No.

Suggest to have him built for now,

but get the plats for a slot instead of selling an existing frame. 

Pick him from foundry when you do. 

Hydroid is one of complex Warframes that is very hard to build. And in order to build him effectively and even matched your playstyle, you need to study every single number on his skills' description, and take serious review on the others' build (usually they focus on Skill 4 and Pilfering swarm). Not really recommended for newbies. It's ok if u train him for MR exp.

il y a 46 minutes, (PS4)TNDA_Vice a dit :

Hydroid is great.  He can crowd control, strip enemy armour, heal himself and his team with augments and his third ability has infinite scaling damage.  Its worth investing a few forma into this frame.

OP are MR5 and dont have room for 3 warframes...

I dont think he's in Formats and Augments by now.

The better advice is to gather some stuff and sell it for plat (on trade channel or on warframe market).

So you can test Hydroid an decide if he is compatible with your playstyle. Hydroid is more complex that a Excalibur or Rhino so this will be something new for you.

The adequation between your playstyle and the warframe is often more important that the overall efficiency. Some people play the "meh" warframes, enjoy them and are efficient.

Eh, he's ok honestly, if you take a casual approach to building him he can be fun for low to medium missions especially if you build him for range and bring 'artillery fire' with Tempest Barrage. Always fun in intercept missions to support allies by scoping out the enemies with a sniper rifle and then bombard them from a distance. Not sure how viable he is for higher levels since I didn't see him as having that much survivability besides turning into a puddle which I find it to be a very boring playstyle honestly. He's also, at least in my case, a second pick for farming materials although I still prefer Nekros for that.

As someone else already said, you could remove Excal since you'll get the Umbra version somewhere down the way and of course trading is always an option and not that difficult if you put a bit of time in it and do your research on https://warframe.market/ .

You could still farm the frame and build him, you only need another warframe slot to take him out of the furnace once he is done, that way you can have him build and ready to go when you eventually get the plat for your next slot. I had 3-4 frames ready in the furnace when I started out and was needed plat for slots.

Well you should have a Nekros or a Hydroid, as they are essential for resource farming. If you don't want to buy slots, (you can farm prime parts, and sell them as prime junk 1-2pt / piece; so it's not that hard) a fine alternative is to get Trinity (esp. that Trinity prime is given free if you link your WF account to your Twitch prime account (even if it's on free trial)) Trinity is the best warframe to give energy to others; so it's good to have in many occasions. 

Resource farms can be like this: 

Nekros (only using its Desecrate ability) (Max range, other doesn't matter, Despoil is not needed if threre is a good trinity)
Hydroid (with Pilfering Swarm augment, spamming his Tentacle Swarm ability; doing all the kills) (Moderate range; high Strength; efficiency not important if you have a good Trinity)
Trinity ( spamming Energy Vampire skill; give Energy to others) (Max range; min Duration; high strength)

the 4th is multiple choice 

• It can be another Nekros, as there will be a lot of dead bodies, one Nekros might not be able to desecrate them all before they disappear. 
  • Ivara (Prowl build) Ivara has to stand out of the range of Hydroids Tentacle Swarm as its Prowl takes time to get loot. (This way it's possible to take loot from the same enemy 3 times... ) 100% strength (don't need to get more, but don't go bellow; High range; Max Duration; High Maximum energy) 
  • Nova (speed build (Molecular Prime); enemies come faster, and they are weaker to your damage; (Tested it; Nova doesn't killed a lot, whil farming (at 900 kill count on my Hydroid a speednova got 14 kills)(Min strength; max Duration)
  • Can be a buffer, that gives more damage to Hydroid. 
Edited by Shikkoku

....you can farm prime parts, and sell them as prime junk 1-2pt / piece ....

If you're not very high MR, with lots of mastered prime frames and prime weapsons, there's no such thing as 'prime junk'

Everything that you can dig up with relics is valuable.

1. to built the prime weapon/frame yourself

2. to sell the set of a prime weapon or frame

3. to either turn prime parts into ducats or perhaps even plat. Prime parts for frames go for anything from 5 to 20plat and more, much more.  Depending on if it's vaulted and the rarity of it. The main thing is not to be in a hurry.

Ducats means that you can buy primed mods which makes your weapons/frames stronger/better.

Selling any part for 1 or 2 plat just makes the one doing the buying very happy but you're not doing yourself or anyone else in your shoes any favours. Because he'll turn around and sell it for 10fold or more or.... turn it into ducats so as to buy a primed mod to then sell that for plat. A decent primed mod , unfilled, easily sells upwards of 50plat.

So you're pick, selling 20 prime parts for 1plat and getting "1" slot or ..... turning them into ducats, buying a prime mod and selling that off and getting enough for several slots.

Btw, Hydroid is definately worth getting and is a nice alround frame with defensive as well as offensive possibilities.

Hydroid is one of the few frames which can be used to gather more ressources than normal. 

Aside from that, Rhino is way more important and Excaliber is IMO also more versatile. 

If you dont care about ressource count, dont bother.

Better than Rhino or Excal for a spot on your roster?  No.  Once you have more plat and can get augments?  Yes.  Your plan to build and leave him in the Foundry is what I would do as well.  Not worth getting rid of one of the other two at this point.  Once you get Umbra, then you can ditch Excal for another frame, but Excal and Rhino are much easier frames to utilize early on imo.  

I use Rhino and Excal (Umbra) fairly often, but I can't remember the last time I used Hydroid.  

14 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Hydroid is good, usually the second fiddle for farming with Nekros due to his augment. 

A solid frame by itself

can strip armor, CC, heal in limited capacity depending on which augment you put on. 

Good to have. 

But worth replacing excal or rhino?

No.

Suggest to have him built for now,

but get the plats for a slot instead of selling an existing frame. 

Pick him from foundry when you do. 

Very much this.

Hydroid is a good frame to have but I believe that over the course of your time in the game you’ll find excal and rhino to be a versatile enough pair of frames that you would regret selling one for a slot. 

Farm rhe blueprints, build the frame, and then claim him when you have the room without ditching one of the staple frames. 

my advice for new players is. if you can obtain it there is no reason you shouldn't get it. as eventually you will at the very least want it for mastery or for collection purpose.

also some frames can only be obtained ONCE (specifically some of the quest frames) so its best to not delete frames. just a heads up as some people in my clan made the mistake of deleting frames and having to buy them.

*this also applies to certain event items, so its in general best to not delete something unless u know u can get it back in the case that it becomes viable for use*

Edited by Makunogo

Le 29/11/2018 à 12:59, (XB1)BimLau a dit :

Every frame worth building and playing. For your MR if you don't like it after levelling to 30 or for the fun if you feel good playing it.

On 2018-11-28 at 7:59 PM, (XB1)BimLau said:

I tried looking it up a bit, but I couldnt really get an idea of exactly how good the frame is, so if someone could give me just a general idea itd help out a ton in my decision.

He’s fine and I’d ditch excal because rhino is nominally more useful. You can get excal back later or just stick with umbra when you can play sacrifice.

But vanilla water boy (hydriod) also looks awful. A pile of mildewed animated wet rags. I had to sell the frame off as soon as it hit 30.

So do him for the mr but replace him with the prime as fast as you can.