Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm having a personal platform conflict, please advise

(NSW)ZargaLykos

Good day guys,

I'm a new player to warframe, started playing on the switch the day it came out and I love it. I realise it is the kind of game I would latch onto and player forever\till it shuts down as my main game, ideally on a daily basis.

My query relates to fears of the future proofing of my account. When the switch inevitably reaches the end of it's life span and dies\shuts down online etc, think I would be able to migrate my account to another platform (eg. PC)? I would hate to drop money and massive amounts of time into a game I love, and the platform outlives it's natural life and just lose everything.

With the aforementioned said, to future proof my account would you recommend that I just start playing on PC from now instead so that i would have no worries? Should mention, the player experience i would have on PC would be lower, tried the intro mission on my PC and I'm getting 18fps on lowest graphical settings, while on the switch, everything is just buttery smooth and beautiful. I wouldn't be able to get a new PC\laptop for like another year that would offer equivalent gameplay quality as the switch. I'm thinking though even with a laptop, can't beat the portability on being able to play on Switch. I'm feel really conflicted x.x

Please share your thoughts and advice on the matter, I look forward to every comment. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration, it is very appreciated. Have a great one.

25 minutes ago, (NSW)ZargaLykos said:

Good day guys,

I'm a new player to warframe, started playing on the switch the day it came out and I love it. I realise it is the kind of game I would latch onto and player forever\till it shuts down as my main game, ideally on a daily basis.

My query relates to fears of the future proofing of my account. When the switch inevitably reaches the end of it's life span and dies\shuts down online etc, think I would be able to migrate my account to another platform (eg. PC)? I would hate to drop money and massive amounts of time into a game I love, and the platform outlives it's natural life and just lose everything.

With the aforementioned said, to future proof my account would you recommend that I just start playing on PC from now instead so that i would have no worries? Should mention, the player experience i would have on PC would be lower, tried the intro mission on my PC and I'm getting 18fps on lowest graphical settings, while on the switch, everything is just buttery smooth and beautiful. I wouldn't be able to get a new PC\laptop for like another year that would offer equivalent gameplay quality as the switch. I'm thinking though even with a laptop, can't beat the portability on being able to play on Switch. I'm feel really conflicted x.x

Please share your thoughts and advice on the matter, I look forward to every comment. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration, it is very appreciated. Have a great one.

PC gives all the newest sweet stuff.

But if the gameplay is all you want for now, Switch sounds noice.

15 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I think this situation is too far in the future to really worry about.

Indeed. The same concern can be raised for PS4 and Xbox1, yet here we are. Though didn't the PSVita kinda bombed? How's Switch going so far anyway?

37 minutes ago, (NSW)ZargaLykos said:

Ouch. If even the intro mission already giving you 18fps, I sincerely doubt you can get too far. Some of the later planet would require to you move a lot, especially if you don't have many mods and gears to help you survive. Furthermore, the two open-maps introduced are far more demanding than the rest of the game, effectively locking you out of that. Most importantly, if you already feel you're barely able to stomach the lower fps, I say just stick to the Switch version.

1 hour ago, Gamma745 said:
1 hour ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I think this situation is too far in the future to really worry about.

Indeed. The same concern can be raised for PS4 and Xbox1, yet here we are. Though didn't the PSVita kinda bombed? How's Switch going so far anyway?

The Switch is doing ridiculously well, in time it's likely to be Nintendo's best selling console.

32 minutes ago, AlendasNaro said:

Better to stick with PC while yeah you can come across rather annoying complications pros of PC FAR outweighs the cons of it.

If you dont mind could you tell me some of those pros and cons in your opinion? If the pros are really that much more on PC, even though the specs of my computer are sub par I'd still consider switching to PC.

19 minutes ago, (NSW)ZargaLykos said:

If you dont mind could you tell me some of those pros and cons in your opinion? If the pros are really that much more on PC, even though the specs of my computer are sub par I'd still consider switching to PC.

1.We are first to receive content ALWAYS

2.PC wont die within the time we have lived our lives out. 

3.Account migration isn't available for console to PC as DE takes a "it's their data on their servers" approach believe me leaving ps4 at MR18 to come to PC was hard.

4. The game runs pretty good on most hardware though I think they either canceled support for old 2008 GPU's or intend to stop supporting DX9 soon.(if this even applies to anyone anymore?)

1 minute ago, (NSW)ZargaLykos said:

Completely open platform and customization is completely in your hands if you have the know how. It partly depends on where you live that can you build a PC to last long either cheaper than usual or somewhat more expensive. Nintendo Switch out of three is a good choice but problem is third party game selection on that platform (at the time of writing this)

In short term: YES consoles are somewhat cheaper but in long term. No, they aren't. I mean think a moment. You are paying the rent of your home, paying for the internet connection provided by your ISP, electricity and include the payment to access the multiplayer stuff. (In case of switch the group offer is VERY good choice if you get more than 4 to pay it and excellent if you have 8 to pay it together)

In short term: PCs come at higher price but you are capable of investing in to a machine that can last 5 years without any hardware upgrades (physical) + you remove multiplayer access payment leaving the house rent, electricity and internet access payment. In general to get a PC that can last for 5 years I would guess that the price is around 900 dollars. PC also has MUCH more sellers of games available and well known Steam always has good offers at holiday seasons but you should NEVER forget about Humble Bundle which also has good games on offer every now and then. GoG is one website I also recommend checking out.

It is better to assemble the PC and if you know a friend or kin who has done PC assembling this can advice you on what you need and how to get all of the power out of every dollar you have set as your budget internet also has good websites to help you on this. There is a lot of flexibility in PCs and you don't need to go for the max build. Just map what you play and with friend or kin who knows PC assembly and parts can help you on creating a PC that fits you well. For example if you like playing strategy games a good processor is a must and you can pretty much ignore or invest in to graphics card later when you feel like buying one.

If you're really that concerned about future-proofing your account, the only way is to hop onto the PC version. If you can imagine yourself still playing Warframe on the PC if the Switch version gets shut down, it is technically more practical to get off the boat that is more likely to sink before you get to your destination. Support for consoles might be dropped when the console gets pushed to the side from a newer console. It would have to be an incredibly abnormal situation for PC development and servers to shut down while the console versions are still being maintained.

As for account migration should a console version get shut down, it's hard to say. There seems to be a lot of hassle when it comes to passing account data between the different servers, else they would be able to offer that service all the time. We know DE will likely push for such an attempt should the console servers shut down but there's no clear answer as to whether the partnering company will allow it, if it can be done and how long it would take for them to migrate all the data over. There has been the console version in China that got shut down but it was by a different publisher from the PC version which means the case is not comparable.

What we do know though, is that some things might not be migrated from what we can see with the PC to console migration so there is definitely going to be some amount of loss no matter what.

Edited by Flandyrll

Thanks for your reply guys, I had 3\4 made up my mind about sticking to playing on Switch but the PC guys are making some super strong points. 

I'm resorting to asking DE about future proofing and I guess their reply will be the main decider of which platform I will play on. I know with PS4 and XB1 they aren't big on account sharing across platforms but maybe their paperwork with Nintendo is different and some kinda future proofing can happen with Nintendo Warframe accounts, so I figure it worth inquiring about. I posted my query that I sent to DE below and I anxiousky await their reply.

"Good day guys,

New NinTenno here, playing for a week now and I'm mad addicted!
I
If you are able to say I would like to know who exactly "owns" the Warframe accounts on Nintendo switch (I haven't found the answer reading through the EULA). The reason I ask is because I plan to play this game on Switch like crazy, I love it but I want to know which option is better for "future proofing" my Warframe account because I plan to spend a lot of time and money on this game.

When the Switch becomes outdated and support drops for it, would I have the option of migrating my Warframe Switch account to PC or another platform? If the answer is no or something along the lines of "more than likely no" do you guys recommend that I just play on PC instead to protect my account and it's contents in the long run? I would really hate to lose all of my progress because I love this game and the community and I wanna stick around and enjoy everything for as long as possible.

Thanks in advance for your response, have a great one!"

EDIT: Got a reply and I was advised to ask about my query via forums so that's what I'll do!

Edited by (NSW)ZargaLykos
Got a reply from DE and acting accordingly