Is there Atlas rework coming?

JagdGard

I recently acquire Atlas after wasting a whole day looking for his parts. And truth be told, i kinda disappointed by his abilities.

His first and second abilities are kinda useful at best. They are bad, but they find its way to be used sometimes. His 4th ability is ok for taking fire from you while you recover. So i think his 1st, 2nd, and 4th ability is ok if it is not rework. What i think need reworking is his 3rd.

His 3rd ability petrify (a.k.a. stun) enemies after short delay. It is actually ok and fit his theme, but what i hate is its area of effect. Like, what the hell, it is so narrow. Basically, his 3rd ability has cone like are of effect in front of him like mesa, making it useless in any kind of situation.

I propose making it an aoe like ember's world on fire, or volt's discharge, so it petrifies everything surrounding atlas. Because it really fits atlas actually, as if you notice, his 2nd and 4th abilities taunt enemies to attack corresponding summons.

And to make it even more useful, make the ability drain energy like ember's world on fire. Or if that to much to ask, make the petrified enemy receive more melee damage or impact damage (hard material like stone is easier to break using impact type damage), making it a great combo to his 1st and 4th skill (if the golem attack count as melee damage). This way, you can tackle both the popularity problem of atlas, and the popularity problem of impact damage (like who on earth build his weapon to utilize fully for its impact damage status)

Maybe this suggestion is too much to ask, or has been asked already, but after seeing some old tweet about least popular warframe and experiencing it myself, i can tell that atlas does indeed not as popular or as useful as other frame.

Thank you

9 minutes ago, JagdGard said:

I recently acquire Atlas after wasting a whole day looking for his parts. And truth be told, i kinda disappointed by his abilities.

His first and second abilities are kinda useful at best. They are bad, but they find its way to be used sometimes. His 4th ability is ok for taking fire from you while you recover. So i think his 1st, 2nd, and 4th ability is ok if it is not rework. What i think need reworking is his 3rd.

His 3rd ability petrify (a.k.a. stun) enemies after short delay. It is actually ok and fit his theme, but what i hate is its area of effect. Like, what the hell, it is so narrow. Basically, his 3rd ability has cone like are of effect in front of him like mesa, making it useless in any kind of situation.

I propose making it an aoe like ember's world on fire, or volt's discharge, so it petrifies everything surrounding atlas. Because it really fits atlas actually, as if you notice, his 2nd and 4th abilities taunt enemies to attack corresponding summons.

And to make it even more useful, make the ability drain energy like ember's world on fire. Or if that to much to ask, make the petrified enemy receive more melee damage or impact damage (hard material like stone is easier to break using impact type damage), making it a great combo to his 1st and 4th skill (if the golem attack count as melee damage). This way, you can tackle both the popularity problem of atlas, and the popularity problem of impact damage (like who on earth build his weapon to utilize fully for its impact damage status)

Maybe this suggestion is too much to ask, or has been asked already, but after seeing some old tweet about least popular warframe and experiencing it myself, i can tell that atlas does indeed not as popular or as useful as other frame.

Thank you

His first is one of the best in the game. Capable of doing ridiculous amounts of damage while making him invulnerable during the whole animation

His 2nd with the augment is good in defense missions. You can surround the objective and prevent enemies from attacking it, with bullets or melee

His 3rd is NOT made to be used as massive AoE. You use the 3rd skill to increase your rubble count to regen health and increase armor.

His 4th is not a panic button. Is a skill with massive duration made to be active the entire time.

TL:DR: He's fine.

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

2 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

I don't thinkso. He got a slight rework/overhaul a couple of months ago and the wide opinion now is: He's fine/good

1 minute ago, GoSonic said:

Atlas is one of my main frames and I think he is in a great spot right now. Petrify is perfectly fine with Stretch on in my opinion. One tip I can give is if you are bullet jumping around just ADS a second before you Petrify.

rue, earlier this year, but i dont think is enough to make him enjoyable. One can only hope.

We can see like saryn. Saryn receives tons of updates and changes since her release because she is quite popular as damage dealer. But the way it dish out damage changes every now and then. And the devs gave love to her more less used 3rd ability.

And Atlas doesnt come from lower level planet like ember. It come from level 30+archwing mission, so acquiring him is not an easy feat.

I was not asking for Atlas to be updated to be as strong as volt, or chroma. just making him a much more useful and popular.

Just now, JagdGard said:

rue, earlier this year, but i dont think is enough to make him enjoyable. One can only hope.

We can see like saryn. Saryn receives tons of updates and changes since her release because she is quite popular as damage dealer. But the way it dish out damage changes every now and then. And the devs gave love to her more less used 3rd ability.

And Atlas doesnt come from lower level planet like ember. It come from level 30+archwing mission, so acquiring him is not an easy feat.

I was not asking for Atlas to be updated to be as strong as volt, or chroma. just making him a much more useful and popular.

He is really useful. His playstyle might not suite yours but he is incredibly good. Sure he might not nuke rooms like Sayrn or Volt but he is a hell of a tank that can deal tons of damage.

5 minutes ago, GoSonic said:

He is really useful. His playstyle might not suite yours but he is incredibly good. Sure he might not nuke rooms like Sayrn or Volt but he is a hell of a tank that can deal tons of damage.

True, maybe atlas does not fit my playstyle. His 1st and 2nd skill are really useful. His 4th also helps a lot cause it has huge health pool. I just really want to see some love given to him as i like using melee, especially sparring gear (e.g. hirudo). It feels good if we can  "roleplay" a bit.

1 minute ago, JagdGard said:

True, maybe atlas does not fit my playstyle. His 1st and 2nd skill are really useful. His 4th also helps a lot cause it has huge health pool. I just really want to see some love given to him as i like using melee, especially sparring gear (e.g. hirudo). It feels good if we can  "roleplay" a bit.

Yeah I like using weapons that suit his theme, like the Furax Wraith are solid if you get em down, but yeah maybe giving him exalted fists or something like that could help him a little bit.

5 minutes ago, GoSonic said:

Yeah I like using weapons that suit his theme, like the Furax Wraith are solid if you get em down, but yeah maybe giving him exalted fists or something like that could help him a little bit.

yeah, thats quite an idea. I just love if DE make the abilities of its frame suits its description. Atlas suits in some way, but he can be a lot better

You lost me on the Drain.

Drain functions are used, as professed by DE, to literally nerf things in Warframe. They are literally made to not allow you to regen energy from any external means apart from Orbs and the Rage mechanic, and to ensure that you cannot actually just turn them on and forget.

Not to mention all the things that then cause your ability not to work. An Energy Leech Eximus nearby will cause you to drain twice as much energy at minimum, and this stacks. A Disruptor Eximus, a Door Trap or anything else that causes Magnetic procs will completely prevent you from using the ability until you gain more energy back, and getting that energy back will then be immediately gone again just by turning it on.

You want this kind of ability to be a single cast because it means you can use it tactically, able to CC enemies when the effect is most efficient, you can use it whenever you have the right amount of energy without worrying about whether it will run out before you can get to the more important enemies, and more importantly it becomes a more simple choice of which ability you want to use at a given time. You never have to worry about whether using that ability will leave you unable to cast anything else because you know it costs a specific amount, and the other abilities cost a specific amount.

Plus there's the other side of things;

Turning the enemies to stone has a negative side as well. They take bonus damage, it's true, a flat 50% that's not affected by mods, but (from the Wiki):

• Petrified enemies are completely immune to status effects. Any duration-based status effect, such as a Bleed proc, that is applied before an enemy is petrified will be paused until Petrify wears off.

This is a bad thing. No status at higher level means that your 50% bonus doesn't scale well. What you're better off doing is using weapons with status to strip off armour and/or mark with Viral's half-health function (which I believe remains during Petrify because it's not causing damage, I'll have to test it), and then Petrify them so that your damage takes effect more evenly.

That's something you wouldn't be able to do with an aura.

i threw 5 forma into atlas. you need a stat stick, and a better understanding of his 1, and 3 synergy from what im gathering from this post. when im using my stat stick and pressing his 1, im top damage dealer. period. ive even had a saryn prime get lower damage then me, and i was just using my 1. my point is, he is an INCREDIBLY powerful frame and a joy to play (for me at least). if you really want to make him fun to play, try to practice or watch a build video. he is a DPS frame and is good at what he does. (plz DE dont change him unless you release a primed atlas)

2 hours ago, Thaylien said:

This is a bad thing. No status at higher level means that your 50% bonus doesn't scale well. What you're better off doing is using weapons with status to strip off armour and/or mark with Viral's half-health function (which I believe remains during Petrify because it's not causing damage, I'll have to test it), and then Petrify them so that your damage takes effect more evenly.

That's something you wouldn't be able to do with an aura.

i think, personally, that his 3 is to be used in conjunction with his 1. in my experience with atlas (up to sortie level void enemies) his 1 when used in conjunction with his 3 (his 1 is strait up damage, no crit/status will affect the damage, only impact) practically wipes a room, i would argue, faster then a saryn. reason being, his 3 gives armor (albeit not useful in super high levels) and his 1 has a AOE in-and-of-itself. so with a proper stat stick, and combo duration mods (because they work on his 1), you can get up to the millions in damage on the FIRST press on the one (this is if you had already stacked up some hits)

9 hours ago, TakaTheBrute said:

i think, personally, that his 3 is to be used in conjunction with his 1. in my experience with atlas (up to sortie level void enemies) his 1 when used in conjunction with his 3 (his 1 is strait up damage, no crit/status will affect the damage, only impact) practically wipes a room, i would argue, faster then a saryn. reason being, his 3 gives armor (albeit not useful in super high levels) and his 1 has a AOE in-and-of-itself. so with a proper stat stick, and combo duration mods (because they work on his 1), you can get up to the millions in damage on the FIRST press on the one (this is if you had already stacked up some hits)

You're not wrong, you are encouraged to combo his abilities. But remember, having an ability that is solely good for use with another ability is not synergy, it's dependence.

An ability that is only useful when combined with another ability, or one that has active detriments when not used with that other ability, is just bad design.

The ability to wipe a room at lower level is a function, and a fair one at that, it's one of the many intended uses of the frame. It should not be the only use, especially when it's Atlas' main form of CC.

13 hours ago, Thaylien said:

An ability that is only useful when combined with another ability, or one that has active detriments when not used with that other ability, is just bad design.

except that his 1 IS fine on its own? and so is his 3? you misunderstood my point. his 1 and 3 are good seperate, but together are almost as good (in my experience, better) than saryns 1 and 4

38 minutes ago, TakaTheBrute said:

except that his 1 IS fine on its own? and so is his 3? you misunderstood my point. his 1 and 3 are good seperate, but together are almost as good (in my experience, better) than saryns 1 and 4

Ah, I knew this would happen and forgot to edit my response to head it off, your comment has taken this on a tangent, the comment you were replying to in the first place was the one where I was pointing out that his 3 has a specific limit where petrified enemies don't allow new Status to apply and also pause all damage-type Statuses.

Meaning that no matter what the damage of his 1, and your quite reasonable feeling that it's made to be cast with his 3, it can't functionally scale in the way that Warframe is built to, it'll go up to high damage and then just fade out. On the actual topic in specific, therefore, if the OP's plan of making the ability into an Aura was to come true, you would be a walking source of Petrification that prevented all your allies from scaling their damage through Status too.

It's why I was saying that, for the love of all things Warframe, OP should reconsider their opinion on both Drain functions and on Petrify itself. 

And it's why my comment in response to you was that, in context of this factor of non-scaling, and in the context of OP's post, the Petrify ability would become dependent on Landslide, as other players and your own weapons wouldn't actually benefit overall.

This somehow got on to how you feel that the combo of 1 and 3 is good, which it is... up until you consider how much OP wants to change Atlas' 3, see what I mean?

JagdGard:

Atlas is my main since 600h, and I could affirm to you: He is very good like this.

He is tanky and strong, even with a low dispo riven on melee weapon. I think you need to play with him, and learn how to build him, to use him.

Btw, it's true his 3rd power cost is a little expenssive.

If you want advices for Atlas I could help you.

P.S: Sry for my english, I do my best.