Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Convectrix Rework - Keeping The Principles While Making It More Convenient

ant99999

Recently I finaly got myself to making a build for Convectrix, the Corpus twin-laser shotgun. While I was experimenting with mods combinations I've noticed two things: first - Convectrix looks, fires, sounds, etc. really cool making me want to use the weapon constantly, and second - it is not really efficient or convenient to use. So I decided to make this topic to suggest my ideas about how to change this weapon.

But first let's dive a bit into the physics behind the Convectrix (because Physics is cool). This weapon actually works pretty realistically (in comparison at least) and can be used as an example for understanding the basic laws.

So how the hell does this gun work?

From it's Codex entry: "When its twin-lasers converge on a target a circuit is created, frying the subject."

So, this gun fires two lasers, that somehow create a circuit and fry the target. But there are two peculiarities: 1) lasers can't conduct electricity, 2) the beams begin to visually distort when they converge. This means that the things are a bit more complicated with this gun. After thinking a bit I've come with the most logical (to my mind) theory of how this weapon may really function.

Спойлер

To create a circuit out of nowhere there is a very convenient way if you have a ton of energy - ionized gas or, as it more often called, plasma. Somehow forming plasma into two beams aimed at a metal target with two oppositely charged electrodes on the other end can in fact create a circuit.

Then there are lasers. What's the point in them? The thing is: a high power laser can ionize the gas through which it goes creating a plasma beam we need so much. But just ionizing the air isn't suitable because: 1) air doesn't have enough particle count to create a stable circuit without applying very high voltage, 2) this gun can function in space as well. So then the gun carries some gas supply in the magazine. It has to be extremely compressed, but we are in the distant future after all. The gas must be propelled forward at a very high speed in a form of a tight stream, and the most effecient way to do it is to ionize the gas to a certain extent in advance and accelerate via gauss cannon or railgun principle.

As the beams converge two electrodes kick in and a powerful low voltage/high amperage current begins to flow through the resulting circuit.

Below I've drawn a scheme of how Convectrix is supposed to fire

Спойлер

79F1A7669331D4B91B136B81A2085EEF539BEF1C

And here are what these components look like on the model itself (feat. my assistant Nova Prime)

General view:

Спойлер

EA9686B66C0DC37991444C247BE6FAA483286A7D

Here the numbers are: 1) firing mechanism; 2) main body (containing transformer, ionizer, power plant for laser cannons and such); 3) magazine; 4) trigger mechanism and stock.

Firing mechanism:

Спойлер

6330D71D726099C447EF2E97B1E0113FAD0EC2FA

The numbers: 1) laser cannons; 2) accelerators; 3) electrodes 4) the 'wings'

The function of the 'wings' remains unclear to me. They can just be come components of mechanical part, however they are more likely to be electromagnets creating a shielding magneting field protecting the user from plasma and high ampearage.

The magazine:

Спойлер

ABBE6D80F03E0DB3CFD329A7757B0903BEE206F5

The magazine consists of two parts: 1) is probably a battery (indicated by glowing joints) 2) may be a gas reervoir

Now there are two main theories of how this weapon deals damage:

First one: the current itself flows through the enemy armor heating it thanks to high amperage.

Second one: the current induces eddy currents flowing through the armor heating it, which makes Convectrix basically a combat induction cooker.

Now as we finished with the theoretical part, let's go to the rework idea itself.

What is the most irritating in Convectrix? Right, the converging part, but more cpecifically not the converging itself, but rather lack of reward for wasted time. For example %&^e, another converging beam weapon rewards the time spent on focusing the beams with very high characteristics, high beam count and status probability, but the convectrix is basically another Flux Rifle but with converging mechanic. So let's add this reward. In fact I have two ideas:

The first is simpler, more predictable but more ordinary. Instead of a tight beam striking in a single point we have an ignis-like plasma beam of approximately 1 meter wide inflicting heat or radiation statuses intead of IPS.

Below is a schematic picture of it:

Спойлер

E6BA63C7E43F0B049B5DE626C3ADBB353F974E44

There are two variants of visuals: first sinusoidal pattern is easier to implement tecnically, second arc pattern is more physically accurate, but harder to scale when beam range mods applied

The second idea is a bit crazier. It utilizes the 'Induction Cooker' theory and makes this weapon unlike any other we have now.

The picture:

Спойлер

CC424E079EDF4441D43C4DF20614B8D034DCD8C0

The thing here is: initial converging is unchanged, however when the beams hit an enemy, they become stunlocked in place via constant elctricity procs. The beams then begin to diverge back creating an AoE inflicting heat status to any enemy within (in theory this area cooks enemies alive via induction cooker principle).

What does this rework aim to achieve? It tries to create a point in waiting for the beams to converge, making this weapon not only suitable for focusing heavy units but also dealing with the crowd around.

As a bonus here is an idea for the secondary fire mode. In addition to 'scisoring' plasma beams it also creates an AoE of low range but effective against weak targets coming closer:

Спойлер

36DBB7636517E7F0909472D5A305A8F4D81A8FBF

Thank you for spending your time reading this. Additions and critique are appreciated.

@ant99999 i like the ida of the cooking aoe.

I also had an idea about the convectrix, in that it should be a point beam gun dealing good damage when converged (ideally double than current) and as it diverges it turns into a cone aoe with no height (so basically a flat triangle) with lower damage. 

That way you'd have the converging beam for tough stuff and the diverging onse work for aoe stuff on trash mobs. Hope I've been clear enough. 

12 минут назад, --DSP--Jetstream сказал:

They should just make the convetrix we have function like the one corpus terra units use right now at orb vallis.

Tbh I've never noticed they cave Convectrix. Just checked myself. Really, they have a weapon that looks like Convectrics. But the thing is it isn't Convectrix in the slightest, it is basically Staticor with Convectrix model (they even sound alike). What's the point of turning a unique beam shotcgun into a Staticor reskin?

7 минут назад, Autongnosis сказал:

i like the ida of the cooking aoe.

I also had an idea about the convectrix, in that it should be a point beam gun dealing good damage when converged (ideally double than current) and as it diverges it turns into a cone aoe with no height (so basically a flat triangle) with lower damage. 

That way you'd have the converging beam for tough stuff and the diverging onse work for aoe stuff on trash mobs. Hope I've been clear enough. 

Thank you. The Idea you mention is basically what I suggest for the secondary fire. This concept with AoE when diverging really comes into mind when you begin testing the weapon.